The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid S3 + Dock Control Surfaces
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Avid S3 + Dock

How many of you pro tools users are using an S3 and/or Dock? How has your experience been? Also, I am trying to wrap my head around the dock and whether or not its just pretty or if it really would speed up my work flow. Plugins having hardware knobs "might" be nicer than mousing around. But I wonder if its just a pretty iPad holder or if it does some good.

If someone doesn't have a fader for automating itb, I can see its worthiness on that front too, but if someone has a fader pack of some sort, maybe the Dock doesn't have that much going for it.

Anyone care to share their experience?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 28th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Hey all.
I'm curious about this to...

I'm currently still on PT10hd with a control 24.
Was thinking of going this same route when moving to current pro tools.

Would you think it would be better/worse than getting C24?

I only use the control 24 as a joystick. None of the analog bits get used on it, so I assume I'd use the C24 the same way.

Thanks
Dave
Old 28th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Using the Dock

I'm using the Dock,and I LOVE it...I'd recommend getting that first,then see if you need the S3....but my workflow has been improved with the DOCK...I was a skeptic, but I'm a true believer now...I've owned my DOCK for about 2 months now, I bought a new 2017 ipad to use with the DOCK, and it is really nice..
I'm using EuCon 3.6.1

Cheers
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

I've had the Dock for about a year. I went Artist Mix, Artist Mix + Dock (that's a year ago), and then S3 + Dock (the Artist Mix is reserved for other things now.) Only about 3 months since the S3 swap in.

Quite frankly, the Dock has been the best of all three. I only swapped the Artist Mix to S3 for the VCA spill functions. It's much easier to work with a lot of Pro Tools' features from the Dock (and programming soft-key functions.) I reserved not going to the S3 earlier because it took Avid up until recently to fix the knob behaviour to where they were usable and I wasn't willing to give Avid more money if they weren't supporting the product right. But now the knobs work right. And it all works great.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear
I was initially using the S3 with an AVID transport (after using an MCU for 15 years, which I loved.. mainly for Logic), which was actually a great combo... I swapped it out for the Dock and it's been pretty good. There are somethings that don't work properly with the Dock unfortunately, but apparently will be addressed. Issues with the soft keys disappearing and the LEDs on the right side controls are a bit flakey at the moment. (But all known about etc).
I must admit, I still feel more comfortable diving onto the S3 for controlling plugins etc, as most are laid out really well and I've become used to that workflow.

It's a great combo/
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you guys for responding... Its great to hear your experience with it. Now, whats laying around that I don't need anymore...
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

So let me throw a monkey wrench into this thread. I currently own a d-command 24 that I love dearly. but we are starting to transition to Logic more and more so moving to eucon makes sense. Have any of you used the S3 and Dock with PT & Logic. Does the S3 integrate good with logic or is it overkill for Logic and just use an artist series?

Thanks
Chuck
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhead View Post
So let me throw a monkey wrench into this thread. I currently own a d-command 24 that I love dearly. but we are starting to transition to Logic more and more so moving to eucon makes sense. Have any of you used the S3 and Dock with PT & Logic. Does the S3 integrate good with logic or is it overkill for Logic and just use an artist series?

Thanks
Chuck
Works great with Logic ProX. Really well in fact.
There are a couple of quirks in regard to inserts being correctly labelled in the channel strips after inserting, but not deal breaking, that's for sure.
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Head

Who's using an S3 for tracking? How do you typically set it up? The vca spill looks like really fast way to get around a large tracking session.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love my S3 here

It's flawless (pretty much) in ProTools. Seems to work well in Logic too although I rarely use it.
Can't say I've used VCA spill during tracking, but VCAs level adjustments are ignored when a channel is record-enabled anyhow...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
I love my S3 here

It's flawless (pretty much) in ProTools. Seems to work well in Logic too although I rarely use it.
Can't say I've used VCA spill during tracking, but VCAs level adjustments are ignored when a channel is record-enabled anyhow...
didn't realize vca are disabled when in record. So do you just bank around or do you use layouts for instrument groups?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
didn't realize vca are disabled when in record. So do you just bank around or do you use layouts for instrument groups?
As mentioned by AlexK, spill isn't disabled during tracking. I use it often on an S6 when tracking to pull up mic groups.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post

I tend to bank around but sometimes use VCA spill mode. No VCA adjustment but it still gets you to the channels pretty quickly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i have both s3 and dock and i can't imagine working without s3, while i could work without dock

for me it's 95% s3 and 5% dock
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I just got the S3 and so far I’m very impressed. Coming from a Mackie MCU Pro, the responsiveness of the faders is night and day...HUI was always buggy at best for me...faders moving randomly after trying to adjust levels. Apparently Windows 7 is no longer supported in the latest version of EuControl but seems to work fine and setup was a breeze. Pretty significant investment but the PT integration is excellent. A dock may now be a consideration as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search