The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What happens if Waves (or others) goes out of business??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
There's not a plug that's ever existed that truly dies... Sure, the company that made it may fold but another will come along and release something that's close if not better.

I seriously cannot think of a plugin that I used in 1995 that has a sound that I can't replicate even better with new stuff...
Yea, but you have to PAY AGAIN to get the new version.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

you do have a point @bgood and real equipment next time might even be better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahatte View Post
Yea, but you have to PAY AGAIN to get the new version.
Well, get it right the first time... Save the raw audio and all fx busses.

It's goofy to think that you spend 75 bucks on a SW emu of a piece of gear you can't afford and that this piece of SW will last for generations.

I don't see the point of the argument
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

... It's the SW that "phones home" via ilok type cp schemes that will probably bite you in the heiney later in life

Stuff that installs and lives inside the computer without having to check the internet would theoretically be future proof as long as you kept the computer alive
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It's goofy to think that you spend 75 bucks on a SW emu of a piece of gear you can't afford and that this piece of SW will last for generations.

I don't see the point of the argument
You're omitting software instruments, which can be unique. As are many audio processor plugins.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're omitting software instruments, which can be unique. As are many audio processor plugins.
I'm not omitting anything... VIs, plugin emus, et al. Same applies. Whatever plugin you rely on now will exist in a much better form in the future.

But, that you brought up virtual instruments is illustrative of another issue...

Once the midi/vox/whatever part is perfect, render that sh1t. Commit and be free! Commit and move on!

All of the CPU power that we have encourages a lazy workflow in which composition/tracking/mixing are part of one process that is never really finalized.

If you commit and render you'll never have to worry that you'll not have a particular plugin in the future.

So, again, render and commit!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, with all the licence protection on so many plugins, what are we to do if a 'manufacturer' goes kaput?

Any thoughts?
worry about what you have and get a bunker.
Attached Thumbnails
What happens if Waves (or others) goes out of business??-57d2c4b3ac4b5_kimsnuke1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
So, with all the licence protection on so many plugins, what are we to do if a 'manufacturer' goes kaput?

Any thoughts?
The same as if hardware goes kaput; there's pros and cons. I have an 01X digital mixer that Yamaha didn't update the drivers for; it's a standalone FX unit now.

Analogue is probably safer than digital /flame war.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't give it a thought. Why worry about some hypothetical nonsense.
L.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Which IK plug-ins?
20 years ago there were about 10 main (or less) developers today there are dozens. Compare the number of hardware companies that have obsolete equipment with parts no longer available anymore to plug-in companies.
Don;t get me wrong I love hardware but we spend a bit of money every year just to keep that hardware working. Hardware breaks down - you need new tubes, re-capping, fixing and cleaning pots and switches, replacing bulbs etc.
Owning hardware is not free
I'm not at all criticizing IK for failing to support 15-year-old plugins or saying that software has more problems than hardware. I was just musing about how software has long-term preservation issues similar to those of hardware.
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

Hardware by no means lasts forever and parts at no longer available for many devices that were popular in the 1980s.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I don't give it a thought. Why worry about some hypothetical nonsense.
I don't worry about it, either, but there is nothing 'hypothetical' about the issue. Few if any plugin companies will outlive their customer base. I think Dixon-Ticonderoga has been making pencils for over 200 years. But that's pencils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood
Commit and be free!
that's why we shouldn't worry! Not because it might not happen, it will happen; but because we should be on to something else by the time it does happen.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I was reading recently that Mac OSX Sierra will allow you to install older Mac operating systems within a Parallels Desktop and thus run "older" software that has not yet been updated for Sierra. Right now I think you can only 'rewind' 2 or 3 generations, but it strikes me that there should not be any real limit on virtualizing an older OS and even mimicking the hardware it ran on within a software 'container'.

The bottleneck is probably the amount of coding work needed to be done and the general lack of demand for any particular OS/hardware combination. If I had to choose between being 'stuck', and paying for some software to spoof my computer into running some old OS, I would probably choose 'stuck'.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
I'm not at all criticizing IK for failing to support 15-year-old plugins or saying that software has more problems than hardware. I was just musing about how software has long-term preservation issues similar to those of hardware.
I am taking Bob's side on this one I can tell you I have far more gear that's I can't get parts for and is unrepairable. We have a GML compressor that we have been waiting for months for parts.
I have TC System 6000 because TC Electronics refuses to sell me the part I need for it. I paid $75,000..00 for a Studer multitrack thats worth 5K.
The SSL 9K we have cost $890K new - its not worth that at all.....
I have lost thousands of dollars in gear depreciation and unrepairable gear.
Compared to a few hundred dollars on plugins that are no longer upgradable.
So loosing the odd plug in here or there is drop in the bucket
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I am taking Bob's side on this one I can tell you I have far more gear that's I can't get parts for and is unrepairable. We have a GML compressor that we have been waiting for months for parts.
I have TC System 6000 because TC Electronics refuses to sell me the part I need for it. I paid $75,000..00 for a Studer multitrack thats worth 5K.
The SSL 9K we have cost $890K new - its not worth that at all.....
I have lost thousands of dollars in gear depreciation and unrepairable gear.
Compared to a few hundred dollars on plugins that are no longer upgradable.
So loosing the odd plug in here or there is drop in the bucket
I don't know who Bob is or what the "sides" in this debate are, but OK sure, it sucks when hardware doesn't work for you high rollers just like it sucks when software doesn't work for us penny-ante amateurs.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I don't worry about it, either, but there is nothing 'hypothetical' about the issue. Few if any plugin companies will outlive their customer base. I think Dixon-Ticonderoga has been making pencils for over 200 years. But that's pencils.
Yes, and like I said above, it already has happened even for some major plugin makers that haven't gone out of business. And I agree that the responsibility lies with us plugin owners to make reasonable efforts to mitigate problems that this causes, just like hardware owners who want to continue to use 1960s vintage tape machines.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search