The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need for HDX with iMac Pro on the horizon? Audio Interfaces
Old 6th June 2017
Lives for gear

Need for HDX with iMac Pro on the horizon?

So yesterday Apple announced their latest beast...The iMac Pro.
Looks impressive.

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/05/app...mac-ever-made/

Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether this machine will replace the need for Pro Tools HDX card(s)?

Will this solve latency issues still plaguing current native Pro Tools systems?
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Maniac

No and no.
Old 13th June 2017
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Looks impressive.

Anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether this machine will replace the need for Pro Tools HDX card(s)?

what latency issues are you talking about? Latency using the native drivers in my apollo thunderbolt 8 is fantastic for aax instruments, and of course due to dsp, even better for uad fx monitoring. Do you mean avid's own pro tools native pcie/TB card?
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

I've been anNative man for 5/6 years - HDX2 1year.

Had to use HD native ibna last minute thing - I real off - everything felt "wobbly "
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

so the sober version of that was that I've used HD NATIVE since it came out, more then any TDM system.

love it it's a godsend, little box, attach loads i/o no problems.

well it seemed I got a little too used to the "little problems" without knowing/realising.

6 years later and I'm 6 months into an HDX2 system,

Only after a HD using a whole native session testing a rack before shipping did I start getting this feeling of.....happiness.

without any proper shout or judgement I can say that the HDX is Better.
Fast, solid - and YES I think the mixer sounds tighter - something to question when running 10 external clocks.

I'm into what works, but am I happier with HDX - F-yeah
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

I continue to find Avid's HD/HDX offering to be the safest choice. As computers become more advanced I feel a need for due diligence before making the next system purchase. It appears that the Mac Pro line is going to get an upgrade in the near future. If I had to jump today I'd probably purchase a more recent Mac Pro silver tower and an HDX card.
Old 19th June 2017
Motown legend

I think HDX has been misunderstood. It's purpose is not taking the load off the CPU like TDM was. The only place you really need it is for very large systems with a great many i/o channels in operation at once. For mixing but mostly recording a dozen channels or less at a time, HD native is as good and often easier to use for people who like a lot of popular native plug-ins.
Old 19th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Looks impressive.

Nothing Replaces HDX, as there are specific things at play here, with regard to using Pro Tools. HDX runs a Constant Fixed Low Latency. You have to dink around with native and adjust it to get similar performance, which then takes away power for other things like Plugs. HDX allocates all the power to your PT session -- That is something a Native Pro Tools system won't do, since its the one providing all the DSP to operate PT as a program. Since a HDX card system Runs Pro Tools, your computer gains MORE of its own native power to use within the Session. That makes any computer more powerful when using Pro Tools. As well, the limitations on I/O will affect a number of users. Less the Features, more Limitations.

Will this new computer solve latency issues? No. No computer will ever solve latency issues. There will ALWAYS be latency. But yea, HDX is the king at low latency with PT. If your application lets you run a computer to the lowest buffer size, while doing anything [any workload you can think of] and you don't need more than 32 I/O with PTHD. Then, you won't need HDX.

If you need HDX, you need HDX.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The only place you really need it is for very large systems with a great many i/o channels in operation at once.
I'd also add, besides i/o channels, the other great need for HDX is voices, HDX1 has the same voice/track count limitations as HD software-only. But HDX2/HDX3 are the only way you can get enough tracks/voices to mix some recordings even if you don't need i/o. Working in surround or multi-mic orchestra with multiple passes/broken up section recordings, you'll run past the HDX1/HD software-only voice limit fast.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear

And this is why both of my systems continue to follow the HD path.
However, it still amazes me that since the inception of HDX many of the plug-ins are not or no longer taking advantage of the processing card.
I have the Waves Mercury Bundle. No need to bash Waves. Regardless of their business policies and rogue stance as a plug-in manufacturer I have been invested in them since 1998. Fabfilter etc. All native based plug-ins.
I'd love to run my mix system without an HDX card. io is a consideration. Latency not as much as in the tracking room.
Old 19th June 2017
Motown legend

HDX requires extremely efficient, ultra low latency code. This is very demanding to develop and makes little financial sense in today's world of $99 plug-ins with a far more limited market than twenty years ago when doing serious work in native wasn't very practical. One benefit I've noticed is that using mostly AAX-DSP plug-ins on a native system is extremely efficient.
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

I used my old HD native interface card with my ADDA rig a few weeks back, it felt sloppy compared to the HDX rig.
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear
HDN PCIe is a poor representative of state of the art native.

I use a HDN card in a 5960x hack and also have focusrite Red 8Pre connected via thunderbolt (I have 2 of these systems). A session that requires 256 buffer setting on the HDN card to be sortof stable is fully stable and 9172 free at the 32 sample buffer with the TB connection.

Whatever the tech difference there is quite large. In a huge session with a ton of VI's and heavy verbs etc and I have ZERO problems tracking 24ch of drums into that session with no need to freeze tracks or change buffers from 32.

With a fully stable native buffer of 32 samples I think the era of DSP is over (at least for me). At this point the biggest latency issue is a sound source being more than a foot away from the mic...

For people not doing heavy VI work, I don't think you would even need anything as fast as my 5960x's.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search