The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is Pro Tools industry standard DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
  #241
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I can see the "taking words literally" as a distinct reaction, but I fail to appreciate the difference between "trying to figure out what someone means" and "personally interpreting" his words - other than giving yourself credit for doing a better job of "interpreting" his words.
I mean that I do not assume people are using words and terms in the exact same way that I usually do while the main argument from you and others seems to be "Yeah but that is what is meant with the term `industry standard' in my world".

Quote:
The OP seems to have taken a powder, but I am sure whatever "industry" he works in, and whatever his native language, he heard people call Pro Tools the "industry" standard and wondered why. Explaining to him what "industry" that is that caused this terminology to arise is answering his question.
I have no problem with that but that isn't actually how the conversation went.

Quote:
Even if there are the the inevitable yelps of the
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmdav View Post
Sour grapes
crowd
And the usual fanboys refusing to see things from any perspective but their own, yes, carry on. See how unpleasant such comments make the conversation? Can we please discuss the actual topic instead of the (sometimes foolish) participants on either side? Thanks.

Quote:
even if I personally was in another sector, it would be perfectly obvious to me what sector is being referred to by the terminology and why PT has that reputation.
Yet I believe you misunderstood the OP as a result the sector you are in. (Despite what you claim above, that is exactly how biases work. You are not immune to them, Joe).

And again, if, a few exceptions not withstanding, the responses were pointing out that PT is the standard for commercial recording studios (and post and other specific areas) then sure, that would have been the right answer but that isn't how the conversation went.

Quote:
Which is the real source of the question. My visit to AES - a "recording industry" event if there ever was one - saw PT rig after PT rig.
The recording industry. That is not the whole music industry.

Quote:
The fact that I am mistaken about WHO said it, does not "negate" my point.
Yes it does. Your argument was that they must have been talking about the recording industry because <insert stuff they never wrote>. Either you are trying to understand what the OP was asking about or not. Take your pick.

I am not in any way interested in discussing why anyone would be annoyed by which tools other people do or do not use. I just ignore such comments.

Alistair
Old 1 week ago
  #242
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDStudios View Post
It isn't though. Streaming might account for 38% of recorded music sales, but it is less than 20% of the total music industry. Even then, it is quantity over quality in terms of income. Performance rights and synchronisation, while representing a smaller portion, is considerably better quality income for those that can get it. It too is increasing year on year. Live performance and ticket sales are the majority of the music industry revenue - representing almost half.
Qualitative over quantitative income? You need to clarify that as I doubt anyone prefers getting a "qualitative" $2 over a "quantitative" $38.

And to get back on topic, PT is not a standard in live music so again: PT is the standard in certain specific areas of the music/audio industry but not the music/audio industry as a whole.

Quote:
Broadcast is nothing more than the distribution of audio or video via electronic means. If they aren't part of the music industry given the prominent place of music in broadcast, then neither is Spotify or CD distribution. In fact, broadcasters are perhaps far more involved in the music industry than Spotify given the investments they make in commissioning new music, both live and recorded. Take the BBC proms for example. The BBC have been doing it since 1927 (give or take a few wars). You can even buy the CD.

The fact they broadcast more than just music shouldn't be confused with an independence from the music industry. Broadcast and the music industry are only mutually exclusive to aid your argument. In the real world, broadcasters are far more diversely involved in the music industry than streaming platforms. Heck, some of them even have their own streaming platforms.
You missed my point: A PT equipped OB van for mixing and/or recording the show is a broadcast industry practise and is done whether it is a (live) game show, a (live) music show, a (live) sports event or a (live) news event. That is what the B in OB van stands for. This has nothing to do with any music industry standards (or lack thereof). It is a broadcast industry practise. See how the word "industry" needs to be clarified? That is the whole thread in a nutshell. Without clarification, the term is too ambiguous.

In the mean time, Q3 numbers for Avid are out. Their losses increased by 31% YOY. At this rate, this whole discussion will be mute in the not so distant future...

Alistair
Old 1 week ago
  #243
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The recording industry. That is not the whole music industry.
What member of the music industry never records?
I mean yes, people working in their own studios use a variety of different DAWs, but even some of those will be users of Pro Tools or will have a copy of Pro Tools.
I was mocked earlier for not knowing Abbey Rd Studios offers Logic and Ableton Live, but actually if you peruse any major studio webpage for their equipment list, they ALL only mention tape machines or Pro Tools.

If anyone was going to record real drums, or a string section on their otherwise electronic track, they would very likely use Pro Tools. If anyone is using sample software - sampled drums, sampled orchestra, sampled piano - very likely those were created using Pro Tools.
People keep arguing about the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobz View Post
Why is Pro Tools the industry standard?
I guess some of us neglected to point out clearly Pro Tools isn't the 'industry standard' if you include personal studios and songwriters etc...
I tried to answer the question in a historical context. That doesn't make me a 'fanboy'.

This whole argument arose because some people want to hammer home the alternatives. That's fine, but no one told the OP to stop using Cubase or Logic.
Old 1 week ago
  #244
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
In the mean time, Q3 numbers for Avid are out. Their losses increased by 31% YOY. At this rate, this whole discussion will be mute in the not so distant future...

Alistair
The Avid in dire financial difficulty thread was started at Gearslutz in Feb 2013.
Just sayin'
Old 1 week ago
  #245
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
they make most of their money of shows and merch
And you think any other pop star making millions doesn’t?! Have you seen how much star DJs get paid per show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
The Avid in dire financial difficulty thread was started at Gearslutz in Feb 2013.
Just sayin'
Yes I think that’s 3 pro tools releases and 2 consoles ago perhaps? I was wondering how long it would be til that was mentioned...the thread is still going (god knows what about) but somehow so is Avid!
Old 1 week ago
  #246
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Stop strawmanning me. Of course bands with real drummers make money. They don't have the largest share of the music biz profits anymore, but of course they still make plenty of money.

My whole position to "what's the industry standard" is "there isn't one" and "Protools within certain areas." In that order, as far as where the money is at in music right now.



I'm not rebuking or dismissing anything. I don't know how many more ways to say it, for the "for hire/commercial/service" side of the industry Protools is standard.

What also shouldn't be dismissed is that in certain "professional" circles Protools doesn't even come up. Most of these guys are making millions, with teams of people around them also making money working the way they work. They do a lot of the pop music production you hear, on top of their own stuff. And Protools doesn't even come up: What Unique Gear Do Top Producers Use? - DJ TechTools

So "it depends" on many fronts and "Protools" for other fronts.
My point would be that there’s only one industry that has had any kind of standard - that industry has used, and still continues to use pro tools, and any attempt to suggest its changed simply means the suggester hasn’t actually experienced the same world we’re talking about.

The difference is that this world is no longer needed to release music. I disagree somewhat that all the music on these blogs and so on is having significant impact (I’ve mixed so many records that have had 300k plus streams that outside Aus you’d never have heard of - and one hype machine #1 that has had a few million that has been heard a bit!). However the stuff on the radio, and for the acts selling large numbers in tours and so on is still, by and large, being made or ending up in commercial studios. The US rap scene (we had A$AP Rocky and 6lack in studios over here recently whilst on tour for example). The EDM scene less so in terms of construction, but I’ve recorded lots of vocals for these sorts of acts, and often the mix gets sent to a pro guy too - and still most mixers seem to be PT based (at least the guys mixing outside niche genres). There’s always exceptions.

I’ll totally agree by sheer volume of music released online, much of it will never go near a real recording studio, mastering engineer or professional mix engineer. But if the genuinely successful stuff - or even by sheer volume of listens? I think it’s different.
Old 1 week ago
  #247
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Qualitative over quantitative income? You need to clarify that as I doubt anyone prefers getting a "qualitative" $2 over a "quantitative" $38.
The 2% of synchronisation represents specific deals struck for music rights. The 38% of streaming on the other hand is spread across all streaming platforms. There is something like 35 million songs on Spotify, and however many across other streaming platforms, each taking their share of that $38.

Nobody is getting 38%. If it worked like that, working in retail would be more lucrative than becoming a lawyer because retail is a larger portion of the total economy...

Quote:
And to get back on topic, PT is not a standard in live music so again: PT is the standard in certain specific areas of the music/audio industry but not the music/audio industry as a whole.

You missed my point: A PT equipped OB van for mixing and/or recording the show is a broadcast industry practise and is done whether it is a (live) game show, a (live) music show, a (live) sports event or a (live) news event. That is what the B in OB van stands for. This has nothing to do with any music industry standards (or lack thereof). It is a broadcast industry practise. See how the word "industry" needs to be clarified? That is the whole thread in a nutshell. Without clarification, the term is too ambiguous.

In the mean time, Q3 numbers for Avid are out. Their losses increased by 31% YOY. At this rate, this whole discussion will be mute in the not so distant future...

Alistair
It is only ambiguous if you aren't familiar with the industry. It is contrary to even suggest that the broadcast industry lacks standards when comparing it to music offered via online stream. An OB van is nothing more than a portable recording studio, and it gets used as such.

I must admit, this argument is pretty far-fetched for you Alistair. A corporation that pays musicians for performances, pays for the recording of those performances, pays for the mixing of those performances, and pays for the distribution of those recordings is entirely within the music industry. Suddenly, with your definition, Led Zepplin's Physical Graffiti and Cowboy Junkee's Trinity Sessions have nothing to do with the music industry because of the way they were recorded... Music is music. Musicians are musicians. And a recording is a recording.

Last edited by LDStudios; 1 week ago at 07:38 PM.. Reason: That’s the last time I right a post after beers...
Old 1 week ago
  #248
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post

What also shouldn't be dismissed is that in certain "professional" circles Protools doesn't even come up. Most of these guys are making millions, with teams of people around them also making money working the way they work. They do a lot of the pop music production you hear, on top of their own stuff. And Protools doesn't even come up: What Unique Gear Do Top Producers Use? - DJ TechTools
Once you say, 'in certain professional circles' you are making it a clique. Funny that the article you linked to is 'DJ Tech Tools'.
I think the reason you and I disagree so much across multiple threads is that you seem locked into EDM, DJ Tech and electronics.

I'm a huge fan of electronics and have an EP coming out that has no 'real' instruments and I used Ableton Live to write and record the material. I am fully aware of everything else going on around me though.
Funnily enough I know a couple of Ableton Live fans who usually use Pro Tools to mix their Live stems.
You can never 100% believe gear lists in magazines and online forums. Many artists are tied to an endorsement. Also, people sometimes just use different stuff now and then and don't bother to mention it. I have been in actual situations that have been reported since and the reports weren't at all accurate about how things happened, or what was used. People assume.
Old 1 week ago
  #249
Lives for gear
 

I’m not saying it’s never used on that end it’s just not industry standard. And I’m not only talking EDM that’s just one of many examples where it’s not even on the list.

Many many money making examples have been presented where Protools is not a working standard for DAW users. Essentially, if you’re not paying someone to do work for you, then Protools is not industry standard. If you’re doing collabs, it’s rude to make the Protools presumption.
Old 1 week ago
  #250
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The recording industry. That is not the whole music industry.


yes that's right, the recording industry, the industry that records, which would be the industry that uses DAWS.

Pro Tools, the topic under discussion, is a DAW that is used for recording.

What other "industry" could somebody be talking about when he asks about a DAW being considered an "industry standard". The guitar amp industry? Well, then you are absolutely correct, very few guitarists are using Pro Tools to amplify their guitars.
Old 1 week ago
  #251
Lives for gear
 

Well, to be fair though, the term "industry" is perhaps a bit old and our definition might be a bit outdated. If we don't care about how much money creators make from their audio then it's possible PT isn't really a standard any longer. Of course it may mean that there's a large amount of artists out there that are making barely living wage off of music, but whatever, it doesn't negate the fact that maybe we should reconsider what "industry standard" means here.

So, "newguy1" may have a point I think.

Not that it makes any difference whatsoever to anyone what we think about it... nor is it really particularly relevant to the gist of the thread ('what can PT do that others can't)...
Old 1 week ago
  #252
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post


yes that's right, the recording industry, the industry that records, which would be the industry that uses DAWS.

Pro Tools, the topic under discussion, is a DAW that is used for recording.

What other "industry" could somebody be talking about when he asks about a DAW being considered an "industry standard". The guitar amp industry? Well, then you are absolutely correct, very few guitarists are using Pro Tools to amplify their guitars.
LOL, you beat me to it, I wasn't quite sure what he meant by "recording industry" either - unless he meant the pro industry vs the amateurs and home hobbyists.
Old 1 week ago
  #253
I'm guessing he means the commercial studio versus the owner operated and home studio.
Thing is, even song writers, producers and home studios use Pro Tools too. Although DAW choice is much more varied it's true.
Old 1 week ago
  #254
Deleted User
Guest


God you people are thick. I deleted my account only to receive reply after reply and quote after quote notices via email. For clarification and in defense of what was previously said, due to the abundant amount of lies, misquotes, mis-moderation, baiting, trolling toxicity in this forum, I will respond one final time before deleting my account again, disappearing into the night once and for all.

@ Chrisso and Psycho monkey - you attack and try to discredit others based on your own personal fabrication of facts. You moved the goal posts and tried a neat smoke and mirrors trick to make things fit your argument, but alas...


The Front Room - Abbey Road Studios

The Gatehouse - Abbey Road Studios


Here, I did a 30 second search and found these on the very first page. Enjoy.

Also (apparently worth noting) listed as "Ableton", NOT "Ableton Live". Imagine the horror....

Also also worth noting, ALL of the studios I previously mentioned in fact DO clearly state on their websites the aforementioned DAW programs as being offered. AND THAT INCLUDES MILOCO.

You both have been proven wrong. Now enough with the lies already.. lick your wounds and get over yourselves ffs.


Of course, now you lot are going to say "but but its not studio one or A or whatever.. studio 2/b/whatever doesnt count!" My answer? One room is NOT the end all be all all encompassing industry standard "better than another" room. Look at the equipment lists yourself. Look at client lists for the various rooms, then get back to us champ.

End of the day, regardless of whatever ****ing room, either these studios offer the other DAWs or they dont. In fact they do. Either they list it on their site or they dont. In fact they do.

I'll say it one last time.. the industry standard is what the client uses period. By client I mean, musicians, artists, producers, - the actual music making recording artists - and even mastering engineers are NOT using PT.. the majority of all of the above are NOT using PT. That leaves only a very small teeny tiny sector of the "recording" industry. Even this forum is a representation of this.. if the popularity lists here on GS are to be taken seriously, very very few people in ANY area of the industry still use PT for ANYTHING audio related.

It is not the "standard" in either number of studios or artists, nor applications. PT IS NOT STANDARD. Deal with it. Get over it. Move on.


You just cant make this **** up Exiting once again...
Old 1 week ago
  #255
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
This is a silly thread..
Old 1 week ago
  #256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisbrian View Post


God you people are thick. I deleted my account only to receive reply after reply and quote after quote notices via email. For clarification and in defense of what was previously said, due to the abundant amount of lies, misquotes, mis-moderation, baiting, trolling toxicity in this forum, I will respond one final time before deleting my account again, disappearing into the night once and for all.

@ Chrisso and Psycho monkey - you attack and try to discredit others based on your own personal fabrication of facts. You moved the goal posts and tried a neat smoke and mirrors trick to make things fit your argument, but alas...


The Front Room - Abbey Road Studios

The Gatehouse - Abbey Road Studios


Here, I did a 30 second search and found these on the very first page. Enjoy.

Also (apparently worth noting) listed as "Ableton", NOT "Ableton Live". Imagine the horror....

Also also worth noting, ALL of the studios I previously mentioned in fact DO clearly state on their websites the aforementioned DAW programs as being offered. AND THAT INCLUDES MILOCO.

You both have been proven wrong. Now enough with the lies already.. lick your wounds and get over yourselves ffs.


Of course, now you lot are going to say "but but its not studio one or A or whatever.. studio 2/b/whatever doesnt count!" My answer? One room is NOT the end all be all all encompassing industry standard "better than another" room. Look at the equipment lists yourself. Look at client lists for the various rooms, then get back to us champ.

End of the day, regardless of whatever ****ing room, either these studios offer the other DAWs or they dont. In fact they do. Either they list it on their site or they dont. In fact they do.

I'll say it one last time.. the industry standard is what the client uses period. By client I mean, musicians, artists, producers, mastering engineers ETC.. and the majority of them are NOT using PT. That leaves only a very small teeny tiny sector of the "recording" industry. Even this forum is a representation of this.. if the popularity lists here on GS are to be taken seriously, very very few people in ANY area of the industry still use PT for ANYTHING audio related.

It is not the "standard" in either number of studios or artists, nor applications. PT IS NOT STANDARD. Deal with it. Get over it. Move on.


You just cant make this **** up Exiting once again...
You don’t sound like you actually use these rooms regularly...some of us don’t need to look at websites to work out what’s being used!

Just looking at “The Gatehouse” for example. The computer rig is based round an HDX2 rig. I only have a single HDX card for my 5 room tracking space. Clearly the investment is here for the primary setup, plus the others for compatibility reasons.

I have no doubt that people hire that space, bring in their own rigs and work on their own DAW of choice. I also have no doubt that when the house rig is used, it’s being used with PT most of the time. Otherwise there’d be a simple coreaudio system with 3 native DAWs installed, not a £10k system with a £200 secondary DAW or two.

It’s really common sense, obvious to anyone who works these places, running “recording” as opposed to beatmaking sessions.

It’s getting embarrassing now for you. We’re not lying about the day to day workflow from people making real records!

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 1 week ago at 02:13 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #257
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
The absurdity of some of the equivocation going on in this thread is comical and almost beyond reason.

The reality is Pro Tools IS the DAW"Standard" in the music industry.
Why? DOES IT REALLY MATTER ? there are a number of reasons not the least of which is , early on it was the Digital recording format that commercial studios got into when they started to go digital over analog. So buy the numbers it was and IS STILL the single most common DAW used commercially but a huge margin PERIOD---- to pretend otherwise is delusion plain and simple and to offer absurd anecdotal evidence that this or that commercial studio uses this that other DAW is ridiculous to the OP
And OBVIOUSLY nothing has come along (no matter how good it may be) to have changed that YET plain and simple .




Does that mean that other DAW's are not used commercially of course not-DUH
Does that mean it is the best in all aspects of course not-DUH
Does that mean that other DAW's may not do
certain things more quickly, more efficiently or perhaps "better" of course not - DUH


Old 1 week ago
  #258
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
absurd anecdotal evidence that this or that commercial studio uses this that other DAW is ridiculous
And actually, the anecdotal evidence shows only that this or that commercial studio offers this or that other DAW. The extent to which that DAW is actually used in that studio cannot be determined from the website.

The anecdotal evidence from people who actually work in such studios might be a better indicator - and of course that evidence leans heavily towards Pro Tools being the DAW involved in nearly all of the work.
Old 1 week ago
  #259
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
And actually, the anecdotal evidence shows only that this or that commercial studio offers this or that other DAW. The extent to which that DAW is actually used in that studio cannot be determined from the website.

The anecdotal evidence from people who actually work in such studios might be a better indicator - and of course that evidence leans heavily towards Pro Tools being the DAW involved in nearly all of the work.
PsychoMonkey has already said its common for people to bring their laptop and work off that.

That’s the only way I’ve ever worked out of a “proper” studio, happens all the time.

Sticking with Protools is standard in some circles only. You keep describing these circles but they’re indeed only certain circles of the recording industry. Shrinking circles.
Old 1 week ago
  #260
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
PsychoMonkey has already said its common for people to bring their laptop and work off that...
he said it was common compared to the studio 'offering' every DAW ever made
not common compared to using Pro Tools

Quote:
That’s the only way I’ve ever worked out of a “proper” studio, happens all the time.
maybe you would get more 'invitations' if you used Pro Tools

Quote:
Shrinking circles.
It's like you hope the circles are shrinking. It's as if somehow it's a benefit to you if Pro Tools does worse! This is haterism, born of sour grapes. You can't experience the "sour grapes" emotion without subconsciously acknowledging that the grapes are probably very sweet.
Old 1 week ago
  #261
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
maybe you would get more 'invitations' if you used Pro Tools
More invitations? Haha. People are actively choosing not to work in them. A few of the times I've been working in ones (like Conway) we've left and gone back to my place to work the rest of the two weeks. Its more relaxed and vibey and artistic and fun and creative to work out of an artist's setup, without all the sterility of a for-hire studio, with all the distractions and interruptions from A&R and management and the label dropping by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
It's like you hope the circles are shrinking. It's as if somehow it's a benefit to you if Pro Tools does worse! This is haterism, born of sour grapes. You can't experience the "sour grapes" emotion without subconsciously acknowledging that the grapes are probably very sweet.
Just an objective observation of how the world works.

The same people talking about how the industry is imploding and how the work is drying up can't also define what the industry standard is. The music biz is onto another model, which is where most of the money is now being made, and the industry standard is shifting away from a DAW standard. Unless you're hiring someone for work-for-hire engineering work, Protools is nowhere in sight for most of the music making process for most of the music impacting the world.
Old 1 week ago
  #262
Which is odd then why every major studio offers tape and pro tools.
You don’t think top studios want exciting new artists to book them? Or they wouldn’t spend $500 to buy Live or Logic and advertise the fact in their main rooms EXACTLY to attract all these big money making artists and producers.
I mean I don’t disagree with your general point, that a ton of successful records are now made on Logic, Live, Reason etc... but I think you take it to the Nth degree, claiming that most money making music never sees Pro Tools.
I mean like I said - major studios only survive by getting people to spend money using them. People working at home isn’t inevitable. But the studios aren’t heavily publicising any DAW other than PT.
Old 1 week ago
  #263
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
The music biz is onto another model, which is where most of the money is now being made, and the industry standard is shifting away from a DAW standard. Unless you're hiring someone for work-for-hire engineering work, Protools is nowhere in sight for most of the music making process for most of the music impacting the world.
You've measured all the world's "music making process" and the "impact" it's had "on this world", and have evidence to back it up?

Stunning.
Old 1 week ago
  #264
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
The music biz is onto another model, which is where most of the money is now being made, and the industry standard is shifting away from a DAW standard. Unless you're hiring someone for work-for-hire engineering work, Protools is nowhere in sight for most of the music making process for most of the music impacting the world.
Well if that isn't a no-true-Scotsman fallacy.

So the most financially successful music groups/labels who hire engineers (because, well, they have money and want to hire talent), gets excluded from "music impacting the world." Even though one of the biggest measures of success and "impact" is financial success.
And I guess we exclude music created for film/tv/ads/video games which most definitely went through Pro Tools because work-for-hire engineers were involved. Even though it probably has the most impact today being tied to visual media.

Just so you can justify your beliefs/wish.

newguy1, can I ask if you earn and live 100% off of your music work for at least 5 years?
Old 1 week ago
  #265
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
More invitations? Haha. People are actively choosing not to work in them. A few of the times I've been working in ones (like Conway) we've left and gone back to my place to work the rest of the two weeks. Its more relaxed and vibey and artistic and fun and creative to work out of an artist's setup, without all the sterility of a for-hire studio, with all the distractions and interruptions from A&R and management and the label dropping by.



Just an objective observation of how the world works.

The same people talking about how the industry is imploding and how the work is drying up can't also define what the industry standard is. The music biz is onto another model, which is where most of the money is now being made, and the industry standard is shifting away from a DAW standard. Unless you're hiring someone for work-for-hire engineering work, Protools is nowhere in sight for most of the music making process for most of the music impacting the world.
Your working method though is based off of what one might assume mainly programmed music. As soon as you actually want to record a band, or an ensemble, or something more cumbersome like a piano or drum kit - your working method struggles.

Of course it’s possible to set the right property up as if it’s a temporary “real” studio - but it’s often easier just to use a real studio!
Old 1 week ago
  #266
Yep.
I use Live every day.
We primarily use Pro Tools when recording drums.
The studios all have it, all use it every day without bugs or crashing.
If you take your own laptop and daw I’d worry about hooking it up to the house interface, any conflicts.
Old 1 week ago
  #267
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yep.
I use Live every day.
We primarily use Pro Tools when recording drums.
The studios all have it, all use it every day without bugs or crashing.
If you take your own laptop and daw I’d worry about hooking it up to the house interface, any conflicts.
Most of the time in that situation, I'd expect the producer to be bringing their own interface - then I'd just patch that in.

If not - I do have a small USB interface that'll work with just about any computer for the unprepared!

Even though it's technically possible (since it's hosted in a chassis with a TB connection), I wouldn't want to hook up an outside computer to our PT rig, just in case something were to go wrong and fry the cards or whatever.
Old 1 week ago
  #268
You need at least 16ch, so a small portable wouldn’t cut it.
I also don’t want to waste time figuring out any hiccups or conflicts.
(This is for tracking a kit)
Old 1 week ago
  #269
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
You need at least 16ch, so a small portable wouldn’t cut it.
I also don’t want to waste time figuring out any hiccups or conflicts.
(This is for tracking a kit)
Yes sorry, cross purposes here!

I mean the portable interface is for people who just want to use the studio monitoring and vocal booth perhaps - ie the typical “producer” writing session.

Anyone doing any serious recording uses the HDX rig - either with me operating it or doing it themselves. In 5 years I’ve only had one guy (who runs his own owner-operator space) come in with a 24input metric halo setup and record to Logic - and we discussed and planned that in advance to make sure we had looms etc ready.
Old 1 week ago
  #270
Agreed.
Laptop and 2ch interface is fine for vocals, or bass/gtr o/d's.
Time is money, so we always use the house computer and interface when tracking drums. And that means Mac and Pro Tools basically (sorry nay sayers).
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump