The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools problems
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Pro Tools problems

Since I started using it in 2006, Pro Tools still sucks. I have version 12. It is RARE to open up an old session and have it load up right. Either of these (and more) things happen:

1. The entire track sounds completely distorted and I have to reset the audio hardware or close and reopen the session.

2. Various instruments will sound off, the patches will be messed up. Some instruments will make little plucking sounds instead of what the sound is supposed to be, and no amount of messing around/unloading the plugin will make it right.

3. The session will be completely blank. Nothing to see here. Everything gone.

4. Instrument plugins that worked yesterday simply won't work today.

5. You hit play, Pro tools waits 5 seconds, then starts playing and the timing is all off compared to the tempo.

6. Any random weird thing that drives me nuts and makes me not use Pro tools again for another 6 months.

I have used Pro tools across platforms (Mac/Windows), across 7 or 8 different computers over the years from top of the line Macs to Macbook Pros, etc. Same thing every time. This DAW has to be the worst DAW ever. It's bewildering that people use this professionally. I am literally shocked if Pro Tools works off the bat. Usually every session has it's issues.

Don't get me wrong, Pro Tools is great for mixing, and seems to give me less trouble if all I'm doing is working with audio. But soon as I bring in VIs, game over. Most often it's Avid/digidesign's own plugins that fail or sound all messed up for no reason.

So yeah, just throwing some shade at Avid for still taking the lead in the most terrible DAW on the market. I'm sure now someone will say "It works great for me, I never have any problems." Please play the lottery if you don't have problems with Pro Tools.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Been with Reaper for many years and never looked elsewhere. No complaints whatsoever. I know quite a few former PT users that went Reaper and also never looked back. Better philosophy, and definitely more value to the very little an official license costs, but the demo is completely free and unhampered. Never know until you try it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You make Pro Tools sound WAY more exciting than it actually is. Sound design secret? The rumors are true, it's actually coded by Richard D. James himself for his own nefarious purposes?

However, in my 14 years owning it, when I pull up an old session, it just works. I dunno what I'm doing wrong.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It always slays me that people running PT who have complaints over years never figure out it's likely a hardware issue. It works for me, never have issues on the latest rev 12.7.1. Run lots of VIs but, it's not a cutting edge midi environment. There are other better DAWs for that if you are creating sounds in the box. Never have problems with older sessions here. I run an I7, Asus motherboard, Windows (because it's obvious most of the problems are on the Apple OS side of things), 16Gb of ram. No crashes ever except if I get a bad Eucon install which happens every few years or so.

I also only run AAX plugins as well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I came from reaper, and it feels like a step up to me. Just my thoughts, but I really feel like its a different strokes for different folks kinda thing. I think pro tools work flow is something you either get or you dont. I think the problems are different, but not worse.

I have a powerful computer. And yeah, PT boggs down sometimes, but for the most part I dont deal with crashes. I have 8+ plugins on almost all my tracks sometimes, in 30+ track sessions. For me, personally, in reaper, more than 5 plugins on more than 15 tracks and it would work fine right up until out of nowhere it just didnt. No warning. PT at least stops itself first to tell me there is a problem so I can save up and restart on my own.

I still have and use reaper. I certainly am not dissing reaper as a DAW in total..... but to me PT is just better...... to me....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The problem with me is not that I don't know how to use it, or different strokes for different folks, it's that it's still unstable. If it's a hardware issue, how can it be when I have had the same types of issues with Mac Pros, iMacs, Macbook Pros, and Windows PCs. I have used an Apogee Duet, RME Fireface 800, Mbox Pro 3, and even a Digi 003 mixer. These are all things I have owned for many years. I don't think it's user error when the rest of my DAWs work fine except for Pro Tools. Can't blame it on the OS if the software doesn't work. The software needs to be made to work with the OS, not the other way around.

As for Reaper, I have tried it numerous times but I don't really like it. It's a little too cluttered and unattractive IMO. I use Ableton 9, Bitwig, and Reason 9 - so I have other "go to's" but I always liked the Pro Tools "look." Very clean and professional. Ableton looks a little crazy like tie-dye t-shirt whereas Pro Tools is a nice suit. I like using different DAWs to get a different vibe going. If only Pro Tools worked as it should for me, it would be a favorite for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

OP - you've got something going on that's got nothing to do with PT. I've never encountered ANY of the things you say happens every time you open it, and I must open at least 150+ sessions a week. Coincidence? I don't think so. Get your computer, system OS, revision #'s, and plugins correct and it will be smooth sailing.

What your'e describing sounds suspiciously like a RAM issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

been on it ten years. current version running an i5 PC...no issues. stable. usually have several VIs, lots of audio. But I have moved to Studio One as I got tired of paying the Avid tax and like some of its features better.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have been using PT since 1994, starting with version 3TDM. Never had these sort of problems. Some of the problems described sound like user error. That 5 secs delay sounds like a pre roll setting or waiting for note. As you have had these problems across multiple computers, the common denominator, apart from PT, is you. Makes me ask "have you ever read the manual"?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It may not be a hardware issue. I have 12.7.1 and for a while it was working just fine. Then, out of the blue it started crashing and hasn't stopped for days on end. What could possibly be wrong with the hardware? No other program has any issues other than Pro Tools. Granted, its more demanding than most others but still, if nothing changes and the software just goes haywire, it ain't the hardware. In fact, this has happened many times and the fix was NEVER hardware related. It was always reinstall, and reinstall and restart and reinstall and this and that and this plug in is causing it and that plug in is causing it and everything else gets blamed because there are some people who have been lucky with the program. Others not so much. Hardware issues? Doesn't seem that way to me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
OP - you've got something going on that's got nothing to do with PT. I've never encountered ANY of the things you say happens every time you open it, and I must open at least 150+ sessions a week. Coincidence? I don't think so. Get your computer, system OS, revision #'s, and plugins correct and it will be smooth sailing.

What your'e describing sounds suspiciously like a RAM issue.
This is troubling. First off, many people have the same issues. I have had them off and on for a long time. What I want to know is, what does "RAM issue" even mean. If you have an idea what the actual issues is, why be coy? Out with it.

The truth seems to be that Pro Tools is a very finicky program, very unstable. Just because you are lucky to have had no issues (that's one explanation, there may be others) doesn't mean that our computers have problems.

Because of the sheer number of people that have the same problems it is highly unlikely that it is a hardware "issue".
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

First off, there are thousands of people running PT on computers that are qualified, so it's quite possible, and even likely it's a hardware problem. Secondarily, the OS, plugin revisions, PT revision, etc. is extremely important. Seems like a PT problem, but AVID is generally very specific about what works and what doesn't. Venture outside the box and you're on your own.

#1[/URL] - if you have a crash, and ESPECIALLY if you have multiple crashes, run the PT Pref's & Database trash utility., It will trash corrupted pref's and PT will rebuild them when you reboot.

2nd, Nothing coy here. What's hard to understand about having a RAM problem. PT likes RAM. Lots of it. It also does not play well with inferior ram. Check your RAM, make sure you have enough, and don't buy the cheapest thing you can find on eBay. I can't explain it any better than that cause I'm not a computer tech guy. If you push towards the boundries of the amount of physical RAM you have, the amount allowed to PT, and the amount your OS needs, you will get LOTS of crappy stuff happening. This is not a PT problem. It's a computer / system inadequacy problem.

There are tons of people who run BIG systems with LOTS of plugins who have zero issues. That is because they treat their systems with care. For instance - I spend (actually spent, not doing it much anymore) a lot of time on Dub stages and Scoring stages. Both run huge PT systems. I can count on zero fingers the amount of crashes I've seen.

Why? Because they follow Avid's specs and requirements to a T, then they sus out their systems and get things working, then they don't add a bunch of hardware crap or software that interferes with the system. They don't surf the internet on their work systems. And they run solid, 16 hours a day, every day. 300+ days a year. Stone Cold Solid.

What's the difference between their systems and problem systems? It's not magic.

It absolutely can be done. Most of the PT problems I've seen have been user error, or user misunderstanding. I'll quote myself for clarity :

"Get your computer, system OS, revision #'s, and plugins correct and it will be smooth sailing."
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
....it's that it's still unstable.
I'm pushing 30 years without giving up. Frankly, I haven't noticed any greater sense of issues than other comparably complex software.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I have a 16 gig 3.1 i7 MacBook Pro from 2015 and a 16 gig iMac 27" 3.4 i7. Ram is not the issue. I have projects with two or three VIs and the same thing happens.

This "delete the database" suggestion was the same 10 years ago as it is now. How come none of my other DAWs have databases to delete? They just work.

I honestly think that those of you who don't have problems with it aren't doing compositions with assorted VIs.

Anyway apart from a few guys, some of you need better reading comprehension - for real.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Two Times View Post
I honestly think that those of you who don't have problems with it aren't doing compositions with assorted VIs.
I'm a composer. Doing HUGE Orchestral (and other) VI setups. I have 64Gig of RAM though. If you're having instability problems with VI's - esp. Omni or Kontakt, it's a good possibility it's RAM related. IMO, running PT with VI's, 16Gig is the bare minimum. 32 is pretty solid. 64 is like forgetting RAM ever existed - I never even think about it.

In my experience, you need to leave (as a wild general rule) 4 Gig Ram for PT, 4 Gig Ram for your OS (yes, I know they don't need that much, but when they have it, "problems" seem to fade away - and then load no more than 6Gig of VI's. That takes you to 14Gig RAM, with a 2 Gig buffer zone. If you're exceeding that, you're most likely pushing the system beyond it's capabilities. There ARE stable PT systems hosting huge VI setups that run solid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm a composer. Doing HUGE Orchestral (and other) VI setups.
I hate to have to do this but I think it is necessary. Can we see or hear one of these huge projects. Something that will establish that this is happening?

I ask because the problems are known and have been verified and confirmed by Avid themselves. That you don't have the problem, or say you don't, is important information for the many, many people that have suffered these problems countless times and have simply had enough.

From what I understand, what is happening now is that Avid is knowingly releasing junk just to justify the subscription price and as a result things are devolving with Pro Tools at an alarming rate. Those of us caught in the trap are rightfully upset.

As for the hardware vs. software, once again, hard to believe there is a hardware issue that targets only one particular piece of software. If that is possible then a simple tweak to the software should stop the hardware from f'ing with it. Thing is, I seriously doubt that there is a hardware issue that attacks but one piece of software. Maybe with a class of software, maybe with a particular company, but one particular application? Stretches credulity a bit.

Anyway, I have heard these claims of huge PT sessions with VI's up the wazoo and plug-ins all of the place but I have never heard a single note of such a sessions. I'm sure there are people that use EQ, Compression and all manner of processing on ever track, I don't particularly agree with this approach but to each their own. I just want to see and hear it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Dump the preferences file/s, restart, load ProTools. Does that help at all?
Old 1 week ago
My solution to minimizing Pro Tools “potential” flakiness has always been to have a separate partition on my hard drive dedicated for Pro Audio only.
A bare bones OS with *No wi-fi *No bluetooth *No other Apps except those essential for recording /mixing.

Also if/when there’s ever been any trouble it’s worth having Peter Gates amazingly useful PT pref trasher
Home | Pro Tools Utility Software
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Two Times View Post
I have a 16 gig 3.1 i7 MacBook Pro from 2015 and a 16 gig iMac 27" 3.4 i7. Ram is not the issue. I have projects with two or three VIs and the same thing happens.

This "delete the database" suggestion was the same 10 years ago as it is now. How come none of my other DAWs have databases to delete? They just work.

Anyway apart from a few guys, some of you need better reading comprehension - for real.
It's a shame you feel the need to attack others who aren't having the issues you are.

Whilst it possibly wouldn't be my first recommendation for purely composition, with PT12 it's caught up a long way compared to Logic when you're talking about VIs. PT10 and below had memory issues relating to being a 32bit app, hence the need for workarounds for serious instrument use. But 12 has been fantastic for me relating to VIs - and yes, I've got a large library (Komplete Ultimate, all the Arturia bundle, IK, Waves, AIR instruments etc - there's a lot!).

If you've never had a stable system since 2006 - that's a shame. I've been PT teching since before then, I've probably seen every issue going (and found a few unknown ones too - I've had the head of avid tech support UK on the phone before!). But overall - it's stable. I get the occasional PT12 crash, but it's occasional...and way better than other software!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I hate to have to do this but I think it is necessary. Can we see or hear one of these huge projects. Something that will establish that this is happening?.
You know what you can do? Completely write off anything I've said in this thread. I'm not here to "prove" anything, and I've got no time for this BS. I'm putting out 200-300 written, mixed, mastered pieces of music a year for TV/Films. My credits are readily available. I can't make deadlines chasing naysayers OR having PT crash continually. Best of luck with your system. See ya...
Old 1 week ago
That's a pretty lame statement. You're calling myself, drBill and other working pros liars or at the very least, "shut up and prove it".

I'm with Bill. I have a credit list; by all means check it out, it's linked under the "my credits" section.

Believe me, I wouldn't support something that caused me day to day hassle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I hate to have to do this but I think it is necessary. Can we see or hear one of these huge projects. Something that will establish that this is happening?

I ask because the problems are known and have been verified and confirmed by Avid themselves. That you don't have the problem, or say you don't, is important information for the many, many people that have suffered these problems countless times and have simply had enough.

From what I understand, what is happening now is that Avid is knowingly releasing junk just to justify the subscription price and as a result things are devolving with Pro Tools at an alarming rate. Those of us caught in the trap are rightfully upset.

As for the hardware vs. software, once again, hard to believe there is a hardware issue that targets only one particular piece of software. If that is possible then a simple tweak to the software should stop the hardware from f'ing with it. Thing is, I seriously doubt that there is a hardware issue that attacks but one piece of software. Maybe with a class of software, maybe with a particular company, but one particular application? Stretches credulity a bit.

Anyway, I have heard these claims of huge PT sessions with VI's up the wazoo and plug-ins all of the place but I have never heard a single note of such a sessions. I'm sure there are people that use EQ, Compression and all manner of processing on ever track, I don't particularly agree with this approach but to each their own. I just want to see and hear it.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I just joined, but been using Pro Tools for years, mainly because everybody else I knew does. I've come across some issues for sure, especially the more plug-ins involved in a session. Pro Tools always seemed to work best on a fresh install on a new Mac. I've learned certain plug-in brands to trust and to try only using plug-ins from the same brands I trust, seems to help a lot. I also only install new plug-ins one at a time, so I can tell if new problems happen, it might be that plug-in.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search