The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PT12 CPU Overload Error 6101 seconds after playback start?
Old 7th January 2017
Here for the gear

PT12 CPU Overload Error 6101 seconds after playback start?

Hi everyone,
My first post so please excuse any errors...

I recently bought a MOTU 896HD interface to use with my Macbook Pro and mainly Pro Tools 12/Logic Pro X. However, when I use the interface with Pro Tools I get a CPU Overload within 3 seconds of playback every time. This also constantly results in PT freezing, leaving me with the Spinning Wheel of Death. The error tells me to change my buffer size or deactivate plugins. Unfortunately, I've tried every possible buffer size with virtually no variation in the result. The session is also fresh, meaning there are no clips or plugins in the session, it's completely blank - and yet I still get the error. The drivers are updated, and have had a clean reinstall. The same issue is happening with Logic as well with an ever-so-slightly different error message.

I did open up a support ticket with MOTU and they suggested that I try a different DAW, mainly their AudioDesk 4 software. Oddly enough, the test on AD4 worked flawlessly. No errors, signal passed all the way through, without a hitch.

What could I possibly try to curb these system breaking errors?

Full system specs:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
El Capitan v10.11.6
Latest MOTU drivers
PT 12 12.1.0.94
And unfortunately, I'm only have one drive, so everything is being run off of a single internal SSD.

Thanks for the help!
Luke
>> Logic Pro X 10.0.6
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

I was having similar issues with PT 12. Not the exact error message as you but similar behavior. I'm using different hardware also. The solution I found on the DUC was to setup my interface as an aggregate device from the AUDIO MIDI window. It's a workaround since AVID had no solution, but it worked. Error message went away. System has been very stable. Worth a try perhaps?
Old 7th January 2017
Here for the gear

I'll definitely give it a shot, I'm willing to try just about anything at this point
What were your aggregate settings?
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Here. Edit: Can't seem to upload my graphic. Google aggregate device OS X.

Last edited by d.dot; 7th January 2017 at 07:10 PM..
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandStuckInFish View Post
Hi everyone,
My first post so please excuse any errors...

I recently bought a MOTU 896HD interface to use with my Macbook Pro and mainly Pro Tools 12/Logic Pro X. However, when I use the interface with Pro Tools I get a CPU Overload within 3 seconds of playback every time. This also constantly results in PT freezing, leaving me with the Spinning Wheel of Death. The error tells me to change my buffer size or deactivate plugins. Unfortunately, I've tried every possible buffer size with virtually no variation in the result. The session is also fresh, meaning there are no clips or plugins in the session, it's completely blank - and yet I still get the error. The drivers are updated, and have had a clean reinstall. The same issue is happening with Logic as well with an ever-so-slightly different error message.

I did open up a support ticket with MOTU and they suggested that I try a different DAW, mainly their AudioDesk 4 software. Oddly enough, the test on AD4 worked flawlessly. No errors, signal passed all the way through, without a hitch.

What could I possibly try to curb these system breaking errors?

Full system specs:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
El Capitan v10.11.6
Latest MOTU drivers
PT 12 12.1.0.94
And unfortunately, I'm only have one drive, so everything is being run off of a single internal SSD.

Thanks for the help!
Luke
>> Logic Pro X 10.0.6
I have the same model MBP and PT HD12.7 works fine. I use it with an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt or RME UCX.

Do you have the same problem when you use the Mac's sound card ?

Edit: If you have the same problem with Logic, there's definitely something wrong with your Motu. I forgot to mention that i did a few live recording gigs with the 896HD (24 tracks over 2 hours) and it went fine. For those recordings i used my MBP 2011 running PT HD 12.6.1, OS x El Cap 10.11.6.
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

HandinFish, I have the exact same CPU spike overload problem as you described. My gear is a MBP running OS X Sierra 10.12 upgraded with a 500G SSD, PT 12.7, & Focusrite interface. The damn setup ran with fine for 24 hours after the SSD install, then **** the bed. Have re-installed PT 12.6 and 12.7 numerous times to no avail. It actually seems to be getting faster CPU overload error the more I try to fix it. I've tried running fresh sessions with no plugins, but can't even get a single 2minute playback of 6 tracks.

I'm at a loss.
Old 29th January 2017
Here for the gear

Here's more observation that I hope can lead to a solution by more technical minds than me.

On the same 13", mid 2010 MBP with 6G ram, 2.7Ghz, dual core, I A/B compared hard drive performance with identical protools 12.7 applications and plugins. The SATA transfer controller speed in the MBP maxed out at 3gigibit. One HDD and one SSD. I watched the PT System Usage meter to view CPU spikes.

When running the a 4min 12-track session from a 3.0USB flash drive, with the OEM HDD, the session (loaded with active dynamic and eq plugins) played completely with no cpu overload derailments. The CPU meter showed spikes up to 92% with a visual average of about 25-30%.

When running the same session with the Samsung 850evo SSD, the CPU meter spiked over 100% within the first 5secs of playback and couldn't recover. The CPU couldn't reset and I couldn't play the session at all. Even restarting the computer, restarting PT, disabling all plugin, increasing buffer size, etc. couldn't get me though the session playback.

Hey techies, could the data usage controller in PT12 be gagging on the SDD gigabit speeds and thus, blowing the CPU usage levels to the moon? The slower HDD meshed with the PT12 internals better than the faster SDD.

Just a thought. Any suggestions how to better match the data transfer and usage speeds across hardware and PT?

Many, many thanks from NJ USA.

Oh yeah, one last clue. When I run the same session with plugins in PT12.6.4 on a 2.3Ghz, 500G HDD, 4RAM, win10 PC, the cpu meter floats happily between 10-40% and life is good. Any thoughts?

Last edited by ihateprotools; 29th January 2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 1st February 2017
Here for the gear

I finally found a fix that has been working for me to address this out-of-control cpu spiking into overload mayhem.

When using a new Samsung 850 SSD that was a partnering cohort in this problem, I had to manually enable the TRIM function in OS X Sierra 10.12.3. Google enable TRIM on Mac for the exact command to enter into the terminal window. It's something like "sudo trimforce enable".

Through Apple Community Forum, it was identified that the SSD Trim function in OS Sierra only defaults to enable in a MBP oem SSD. 3rd party SSD installs need to have the TRIM function manually enabled. It seems that this SSD function somehow controls the data blitzing an SSD does on the cpu through SATA 2 and 3 configurations.

Once I enabled the SSD TRIM, I watched the cpu usage during PT 12.7 operation float between 25-50% with occasional spikes to around 85% (having only 6G of ram). But the cpu behavior never got frantic and locked up the session. I finally was able to completely mix a 12track session and added mastering tracks with EQ and dynamics for a completed 5min song.

I'm not sure this is the right answer to the CPU overload error, but it is the one that has worked for me.
Hope it helps you all. Cheers.
Old 29th May 2017
Here for the gear

Hey,

same problem with me. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I run
PT 12 12.7.1
MacMini late 2012 2,6GHz i7, 16GB Ram
OS 10.12.4 Sierra
RME Madface XT

I can playback in average three seconds of the session until it stops. There is a uncompressed video in it and some tracks.

Weird thing: If I change my playback engine to the normal output of my MacMini, the AAE -6101 error won´t pop up again.
I browsed on incompatibilities of RME hardware with PT 12 but didn´t find anything.
Has anyone a solution for this?!

Greetz!
Old 14th June 2019
I built a beast of a computer around a i7 6-core 8700K ~4.4 GHz, the Z370 chipset, 64GB RAM, a dedicated RX-580 GPU, 500 NVMe for VSL samples, and several Samsung 1 TB SSDs for the OS and media for my Apollo 8 Quad. My Geekbench 4 multi-core CPU score is 30246. Guess what I still get?

The 6101 error. It's not a hardware issue. It's an Avid issue.

Last edited by jamesPDX; 14th June 2019 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Clarity.
Old 30th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotbolln View Post
Hey,

same problem with me. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I run
PT 12 12.7.1
MacMini late 2012 2,6GHz i7, 16GB Ram
OS 10.12.4 Sierra
RME Madface XT

I can playback in average three seconds of the session until it stops. There is a uncompressed video in it and some tracks.

Weird thing: If I change my playback engine to the normal output of my MacMini, the AAE -6101 error won´t pop up again.
I browsed on incompatibilities of RME hardware with PT 12 but didn´t find anything.
Has anyone a solution for this?!

Greetz!
Heya, hold done N during the splash screen load in of pro tools, and then select your interface AND tick the box to ignore errors in playback/record - this is the only way I could get my UFX+ to work on PT yesterday.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search