The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Installing Pro Tools HDX card - not enough pcie aux power
Old 4th December 2016
Here for the gear

Installing Pro Tools HDX card - not enough pcie aux power

Hello, I've been struggling to find answers to these questions online, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I recently purchased a mid 2012 mac pro 5.1 with 2X 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processors to run Pro Tools 12 and Pro Tools HDX card.

It came with a Geforce Titan X GPU, which uses 2 aux pcie power cables, leaving no available aux power for the HDX card.

My questions are:

1. is there any way to make this setup work, assuming I can't add thunderbolt, and therefore can not use an expansion chassis?

2. If I absolutely have to replace the Geforce Titan X in order to install the HDX Pcie card, what is the best gpu card I can buy that only uses 1 Pcie Aux power port?

Thank you in advance!
Old 4th December 2016
Lives for gear
You can first try to use some splitter for 6 pin power connector.
Kinda like this..
https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-E.../dp/B00JLU0UQ4
I can't tell you, if that will be sufficient for all your components though..
Titan is pretty power demanding card (can reach >250W) and single splitted line together with HDX card could be over the current limit for the power supply.
I've never tried it at Mac, it has to be some aftermarket upgrade at your setup.

Anyway, for a DAW usage you'd definitely don't need Titan X.
Among official graphic cards supported by Apple, I have pretty good experience with AMD Radeons 5770 or 5870.. both works well in all original MacPros (even with oldest models) and works without any additional driver.
If you want some more recent card, then you can likely use some newer Nvidia card like GeForce 750, which isn't supported at Mac OS X out of box, but can be used in similar fashion like your Titan with unified Nvidia downloadable driver.
Those upgrades belongs more to hackintosh territory, so check https://www.tonymacx86.com for more details about its compatiblity, required driver versions etc.

Michal
Old 4th December 2016
Gear Maniac
My Mac Pro 5,1 running a HDX system, also came with a dual power supply required GPU (ATI 5870). Traded that down to a single power supply GPU.

Honestly, unless you're trying to multi purpose your Mac (I.e., using for more than strictly audio work) there's no need for a high end GPU and that's another conversation.

I've tried a NVIDIA GeForce GT120 (requires no motherboard power) and a ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics for Mac Pro (requires one motherboard power connection.). Arguably based on pure specs, the 5770 is a better GPU than the GT120, but in real world usage when running Pro Tools HDX, I didn't notice any improvement in graphics display using the 5770 over the GT120.

I have a dual display setup with an Apple 27" Cimena display and a smaller Dell VGA display. Running OSX 10.5.5.

I settled on the 5770 just because I could.
Old 5th December 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot guys! I ended up buying a GTX750 Ti. Anyone want to buy a Titan X?
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Is there any solution for this?
Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8G AMD really needs both mini 6pin connector to a 8pin cable so no power for a HDX card. Do you guys take power from one of the Optical SATAs?
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Is there any solution for this?
Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8G AMD really needs both mini 6pin connector to a 8pin cable so no power for a HDX card. Do you guys take power from one of the Optical SATAs?

Following, I have the RX 580 using dual 6pin to 8 for the card and want to upgrade my HDN to HDX, possible 2 HDX cards, is this possible on a mac pro 5,1?
Old 10th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Following, I have the RX 580 using dual 6pin to 8 for the card and want to upgrade my HDN to HDX, possible 2 HDX cards, is this possible on a mac pro 5,1?
I have read everywhere how to do and the simple solution is not great looking but working great...so an additional external power supply...

"I did a bunch of research. The 580 draws a lot of power. The safest way is an extra external power supply. The SATA power tap can be used but depends on what other devices you are using. Even so. From the mac mods forums they recommend an extra power supply. Which is what I did. You run the lead in from an empty pcie slot back panel opening or remove a optical and put power lead in from front Cdr slot."

However personally I took the decision to stay away from the HDX a couple of years more...the HDX card is 8 years old now (!) and with the new Mac Pro announced maybe AVID will come up with a new generation of "HDX- cards". I am still on Pro Tools 10 HD with 7 PCIe cards in a Magma chassi.

Last edited by Firechild; 10th August 2019 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I have read everywhere how to do and the simple solution is not great looking but working great...so an additional external power supply...

"I did a bunch of research. The 580 draws a lot of power. The safest way is an extra external power supply. The SATA power tap can be used but depends on what other devices you are using. Even so. From the mac mods forums they recommend an extra power supply. Which is what I did. You run the lead in from an empty pcie slot back panel opening or remove a optical and put power lead in from front Cdr slot."

However personally I took the decision to stay away from the HDX a couple of years more...the HDX card is 8 years old now (!) and with the new Mac Pro announced maybe AVID will come up with a new generation of "HDX- cards". I am still on Pro Tools 10 HD with 7 PCIe cards in a Magma chassi.
Thank you for posting this, this is annoying yet interesting. Here I thought upgrading the 5770 to RX 580 would get me more power (I have major issues with AAE 9173 errors, and now a known issue with iZotope Insight 2 on a 5.1 mix that avid is aware and will hopefully address one day). I just thought upgrading the HDN to a HDX can help with some power since the new 2019 gives you 384 total voices. I guess I should just upgrade my 12core 2.4Ghz to a 3.46Ghz?

Going HDX, I would have to possible get 2 since each one only gives 256 voices (And I am not into renting or leasing, so the voice pack rental is not an option)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search