The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Console1 follows Pro Tools Track Selection workaround Control Surfaces
Old 30th June 2016
Here for the gear

Softube Console1 follows Pro Tools Track Selection workaround

Hi everyone,

wanted to start a new thread concerning this thing because the main Console1 thread is overloaded with a lot of other discussions.

I have found a way to get Console1 following the Pro Tools track selection. With a control surface like the Artist Series, S3 or any HUI controller, you can auto select the Console1 channel without ever having to look on the screen. But before everyone gets super excited about that, it is only a workaround and not very fancy for the mixing workflow.

In fact I discovered (actually by accident) that Console1 software and hardware jumps to the actual selected track/plug-in when:
- you move the plug-in to another insert slot e.g. from slot a to slot b
- you deactivate and reactivate the Console1 plug-in by holding ctrl+command (Mac) while clicking on the plug-in name
- you deactivate and reactivate the selected track

I'm using the Console1 in addition to Avid Artist Mix and Artist Transport. So my workflow is as follows:

- in Eucontrol preferences under "General", I've activated the option "select by touch" so the Artist Mix selects a the track when I'm touching the fader
- I've created a soft key on the artist transport to make the selected track active/inactive.
- now when I'm mixing, I touch the fader of the track I want to tweak with Console1 and then hit the soft key on the Artist Transport twice
- Console1 selection should now have jumped to the selected track automatically

- if you don't have an Artist Transport, you can also set the Artist Mix to insert view and hold ctrl+command while pushing the "sel" button of the corresponding plug-in

So far, so good. BUT there are several downsides with this workaround:
- deactivating and reactivating a track or plug-in takes about 1 or 2 seconds until Console1 recognizes the plug-in and jumps to the track.
- this workaround doesn't work properly while playing back

So, let me know what you are thinking about that. Perhaps someone finds another more suitable way.

Would be so much easier if Console1 would automatically recognize which plug-in is in foreground without all the other steps. Perhaps someone from Softube wants to chime in!

cheers,
Stefan
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Maniac

That's actually really good! I think the one off mixing moves are where people feel the select the track would work. when I'm mixing with the console 1, I have it up full screen and I'm selecting tracks directly through the console 1 display, not even paying attention to PT at all. I'm going to try this with my Artist mix!
Old 30th June 2016
Lives for gear

Is there still no news on this being implemented? Nice work though.
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

I have always wondered how people could navigate with C1 inside Pro Tools.
Old 11th April 2019
Here for the gear

I wonder if Avid read this post and removed the workaround above ? I can't seem to get it to work..anyone else having luck with this ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search