The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Protools the best sounding DAW?
Old 10th November 2019
Lives for gear
There shouldn't be any difference in sound, adding numbers is adding numbers! - except one thing - filters. I remember a few releases ago Steinberg changing the default filter slope in Cubase which caught a lot of people out (including me) recalling a session sounded different on the newer release. I should imagine there's no standard for things like default filter slopes and they may change from DAW to DAW. Doesn't mean one's better than the other though!
Old 23rd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Guys,

I was mixing in logic for years. Produced in Ableton...Than changed to ProTools for mixing and mastering some days ago...

For the null police - I did the all the blind tests ..and other tests.. and every time the exports from Logic, Ableton and ProTools phase canceled. They are the same if you are not panning or manipulating the audio in any way and I confirm it.

BUT .. ProTools "sounds" better to me..I feel better mixing there. This is clearly the placebo effect. I don't know if it is the different effects from the DAWs colors and structure or the environment that we associate them with.

I think the placebo effect is real guys, so get back to work. Let's not forget that we GENERATE the visual and audio information in our heads - we are basically translating waves in our brains, so we are prone to this placebo effect and it is even necessary.
Old 23rd January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
maybe you like the pro tools pan law better...

Or maybe I am misunderstanding you as you also seem to admit it's placebo.

Is what you are saying that the mixer and workflow of pro tools is better to you, therefore making it easier for you to get the right sounding mix? If so then I am right there with you. PT is my favourite mixer in any DAW by far.
Old 24th January 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

Pro Tools has some nice sounds in it. Especially with HEAT and their plugin suite (even if outdated still they sound good!!)

Can't get over the clusterfx that is the interface and workflow.

That's why I'm not using it...

I'll stick to my other 4 daws
Old 24th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Pro Tools has some nice sounds in it. Especially with HEAT and their plugin suite (even if outdated still they sound good!!)

Can't get over the clusterfx that is the interface and workflow.

That's why I'm not using it...

I'll stick to my other 4 daws

That's why there's something for all of us. Pro tools is one of only few DAWs that doesn't hurt my eyes and is super neat and logically laid out. To me it has the best GUI bar none and one of the main reasons i DID move to it. For me by far the worst interfaces in no particular order are mixbus, S1 (V3&4), and Reaper.

I can't imagine how there COULD be a better workflow and GUI than PT! And now with folders it will be even neater.
Old 24th January 2020
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
That's why there's something for all of us. Pro tools is one of only few DAWs that doesn't hurt my eyes and is super neat and logically laid out. To me it has the best GUI bar none and one of the main reasons i DID move to it. For me by far the worst interfaces in no particular order are mixbus, S1 (V3&4), and Reaper.

I can't imagine how there COULD be a better workflow and GUI than PT! And now with folders it will be even neater.
Indeed!

That's why there's a bunch of amazing DAWs these days to cater for every need and flow.

We're spoiled
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Indeed!

That's why there's a bunch of amazing DAWs these days to cater for every need and flow.

We're spoiled
what is astounding to me is the vehemence with which some people will deny that the workflow and GUI could possibly make a difference. All these tasks requiring different actions, all these functions that might be 'on top' or might be 'buried' in a menu somewhere. All these tools demanding a different approach and a different touch.

And yet these fools are so full of themselves that they think their great "skill" or "talent" can overcome any workflow. So if the end result is different, they feel free to blame the "audio engine".

I think it can only be a massive case of egotism that could let someone talk themselves into such an absurd conclusion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search