The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Apogee 16x with Digi 182 or Digi 192s w/Big Ben?
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Question Apogee 16x with Digi 182 or Digi 192s w/Big Ben?

I think I'm runing into trouble...

I want to add 16 D/A and upgrade my converters (in addition to my Digi 192, using all)

My thought was buy the Apogee 16x D/A, get the 16 outs AND clock the 192 to it, essentially getting the benefit of the Big Ben clocking.

(Won't work from what I'm told... or quite a weird work around I've yet to understand... someone please explain in addition to below, pleeeeeeease)

Soooo... what would be better?

1. All Digi 192s but clocked to an Apogee Big Ben?

2. All Apogees, sell the 192 (can I even do that, if so, what is needed to make ALL Apogees work with Pro Tools HD?)

3. Can I mix and match...how? Not getting this, sorry.

Need your help. yes, I "searched" but can't ind a definitive answer.

Please, my friends... advice WELCOME!

-a
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Just run over to Pacific Radio and pick up a 1-in/2-out BNC splitter. You can then, send the clock out to the 192.

It only cost like $4

We have the same set-up
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Addict

I would just sell your 192 interface and purchase a Lynx Aurora 16 with the Lynx LT-HD giving you pristine 16 d/a and a/d's.

Just my 2 cents.

spiros.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
I would just sell your 192 interface and purchase a Lynx Aurora 16 with the Lynx LT-HD giving you pristine 16 d/a and a/d's.

Just my 2 cents.

spiros.
Any trouble withthat interracing with Pro Tools HD? Latency, not recignizing , genearlly working, etc?

Thanks.

-a
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Question

...oh, and what is the Lynch TD-HD?

Ho would these work with Pro Tools HD... both in connectivity, playing well with Pro Tools, etc.

If I sent all Lynch, any need to a Digi interface... and if nt, what is needed to make it work?

thanks,

-a
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
2. All Apogees, sell the 192 (can I even do that, if so, what is needed to make ALL Apogees work with Pro Tools HD?)

3. Can I mix and match...how? Not getting this, sorry.

-a
I would go for all apogee AD and DA.

The AD16x can also function as a 16ch AES out for HD when outfitted with a HD card.
DA16x can function as 16ch AES in .
All you need is for 32 IO is two ad16x with hd cards and two da 16x without.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
I would go for all apogee AD and DA.

The AD16x can also function as a 16ch AES out for HD when outfitted with a HD card.
DA16x can function as 16ch AES in .
All you need is for 32 IO is two ad16x with hd cards and two da 16x without.
totally agree! Sell the 192 and pick up 1 ad16x and 2 da16x w/ hd card much better in my opinion... and i have used both...

You could keep the 192 for ad and clock it to the 16x and you'll be fine... I clock my 3 apogee unit off the first... BNC T connector is all you need.

If you are gonna add more than 3-4 d/a a/d then i would get a big ben
Old 13th January 2007
bhp
Gear Nut

Sell the 192 and get an AD and DA 16x.
They work great with the HD card.
The conversion is significantly better than the 192.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Sell the 192 and get an AD and DA 16x.
They work great with the HD card.
The conversion is significantly better than the 192.
Any funky timings issues (and I don't mean in a James Brown sort of way ) or in how it reacts with Pro Tools to consider if I ditch all Digi hardware?

-a
Old 13th January 2007
bhp
Gear Nut

No issues.
One of my systems has 2 Apogee interfaces only. It works very well.
Occasionally, 1 out of 200 times, the interfaces will not show up.
Simply restart Pro Tools and you're fine.
The huge improvement in sound completely offsets this.

If you have a Sync IO, take the word clock from the Sync IO into the AD 16x then take the word clock out of the AD into the DA. Set both Apogees to external WC. By doing this the Apogees will follow the session set up window settings in PT. The Apogee reclocks to the sytem to Big Ben standard C777 clock.

If you do not have a Sync IO, the AD will be in internal clock.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
My thought was buy the Apogee 16x D/A, get the 16 outs AND clock the 192 to it, essentially getting the benefit of the Big Ben clocking.
i'm doing that now. clocking a digi 192 to a 16X DA and it works great.

keeping my 192s for inserts with ADC, because (my opinion only) the 16X only sounds slightly better than the 192 when the 192 is clocked to the 16X. i'd rather not deal with manual nudging, and the sound diff isn't that great (when everything's clocked to apogee) so i'm keeping both.

have 2 digi 192s, so when we start mixing i'll get a Big Ben, because you can't clock 2 X 192s from a 16X -- 192s are terminated so they have to be last in the chain. for this reason a dedicated clock signal is needed for each unit (T connector won't do it).

so to answer your question more specifically, yes you can mix and match, and if you don't have more than one 192, no need for a clock distributor like Big Ben.

Quote:
Any funky timings issues (and I don't mean in a James Brown sort of way ) or in how it reacts with Pro Tools to consider if I ditch all Digi hardware?

-a
works fine except for ADC between units, but you can nudge manually or just keep, say all your drums, on one unit. the difference between the interfaces is in tens of samples, so no too big a deal (unless for example, you put the top snare on one unit and the bottom snare on another).

if you call apogee support, they're very helpful.

hope this helps.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

raal:
Are you using a HD X card with your Apogee's?
As I cannot get the Apogee's to come up unles they are on slave clock.
the Apogee's will not worked when clocked internal if your using a X Card.
Plus there is a 56 sample difference with the AD-16X vs the 192.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Question Add one more element

Ok, my Digi 192 clocked to an Apogee 16x D/A...have the X-whatever card too.

BUT, I also have a Neve DPD... any advice on where that works in and how?

Thanks guys!

-a
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
raal:
Are you using a HD X card with your Apogee's?
yes.

Quote:
As I cannot get the Apogee's to come up unless they are on slave clock. the Apogee's will not worked when clocked internal if your using a X Card.
strange. i've clocked both the 192 and 16X to an Isochrone, the 192 to the 16X and the other way around, no problem.

is your 192 on ext. (not on loop)?

it should work fine. as i said before the guys at Apogee are very helpful if you want to give them a call.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ok, my Digi 192 clocked to an Apogee 16x D/A...have the X-whatever card too.

BUT, I also have a Neve DPD... any advice on where that works in and how?

Thanks guys!

-a
if you're using it to record to PT along with your other verters you'll have to decide which is going to be your master clock.

if you want to use the Apogee clock you can go 16X>T connector>Neve (if it isn't terminated - i've never used one), and on to the 192.

or Neve DPD>T connector>16X>192 - no problem with a T connector on the 16X. that i know for sure.

if you break out to your analog console, and want to use the DPD to go from the console to another machine for mixdown (like tascam DVRA or whatever), it can be on its own.

is this what you're asking?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thumbs up YOU ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
if you're using it to record to PT along with your other verters you'll have to decide which is going to be your master clock.

if you want to use the Apogee clock you can go 16X>T connector>Neve (if it isn't terminated - i've never used one), and on to the 192.

or Neve DPD>T connector>16X>192 - no problem with a T connector on the 16X. that i know for sure.

if you break out to your analog console, and want to use the DPD to go from the console to another machine for mixdown (like tascam DVRA or whatever), it can be on its own.

is this what you're asking?
That, my friend, is the elusive piece of info I've been searchig for! THANK

Oddly, with all the Apogee 16x threads, this specific confguration had not been covered yet and with the Dii being terminated, I was struggling to find the right matrix.

I think I will use the Apogee 16X's Big Ben clock to the Neve, then Neve to Digi 192, which is terminated, if I uderstand correctly This is for tracking.

Then on mixing, I will actually take the Neve out o the chain and have it stand along EXACTLY as you suggest as the front end to the Tascam DSD.

Man, sometimes this place pays for itself! Wait...it's free

-andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think I will use the Apogee 16X's Big Ben clock to the Neve, then Neve to Digi 192, which is terminated, if I uderstand correctly This is for tracking.
for this configuration do make sure the DPD is not terminated though.

Quote:
Man, sometimes this place pays for itself! Wait...it's free
i'm very thankful for this place too.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes.

strange. i've clocked both the 192 and 16X to an Isochrone, the 192 to the 16X and the other way around, no problem.

is your 192 on ext. (not on loop)?

it should work fine. as i said before the guys at Apogee are very helpful if you want to give them a call.
I am using loop sync the only way I can get things to to if I am clocked to RodenDahl I tried using the AD 16 X as a Master Clock.
As far as Apogee Yech Support they said they could not help and told me to phones Digidesign to help getting it work.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am using loop sync the only way I can get things to to if I am clocked to RodenDahl I tried using the AD 16 X as a Master Clock.
put your 192 on external sync, your 16X on internal. this is how i've been using them. no hiccups.

Quote:
As far as Apogee Yech Support they said they could not help and told me to phones Digidesign to help getting it work.
strange.

anyway, i've been using them as described above with no probs whatsoever.

loop is for when using digi verters only. maybe someone else can chime in as i know there are several slutz using 192s w/16X. sorry i can't be of any more help.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
put your 192 on external sync, your 16X on internal. this is how i've been using them. no hiccups.
I have 3- 192's and the only way I could get them going in the past was to use Loop Sync.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
if you want to clock externally and have more than one 192, you'll need a clock distribution system like Big Ben or similar. digi 192s are terminated so they need to be last in the chain.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
if you have more than one 192 you'll need a clock distribution system like Big Ben or similar, if you want to clock externally. 192s are terminated so they need to be last in the chain.
I use Rosendahl.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
I use Rosendahl.
not familiar with that unit. if it has multiple clock outputs (one per digi 192), you can use it. if it doesn't (only one clock output) you won't be able to.

try using your 16X with only one 192 like i described. it'll work.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

As soon as the AD 16 X is hooked up via HD X card. it goes to Word Clock there is no way to switch it to internal. Plus the Apogee's have to be connected after the 192's.
I spend quite of bit of time troubleshooting this.
You can get the AD 16 x to be the master clock. - Disconect ALL the 192's
The ONLY way I could PT to recognize the apogee i/o was to make sure they were set to slave to word clock.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
The ONLY way I could PT to recognize the apogee i/o was to make sure they were set to slave to word clock.
all i can say is that's not my experience. PT recognizes my 16X perfectly, and i've used it as a master or slave.

you may want to check your firmware version; other than that i don't know what else to tell you.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Question Neve DPD terminated or not?

The Digi 192 is terminate, so it has to be the last in a chain if clocked to the Apogee 16x Big Ben.

If I also want to inlcude the Neve DPD, that would only be possible if it is NOT terminated. Correct?

If it is terminated, then a dedicated clock distributor is the solution.

Anyon know if the Neve DPD is terminated or not?

Thanks.

andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
If it is terminated, then a dedicated clock distributor is the solution.
or perhaps it could be the master clock:

DPD>T connector> 16X > 192.

i don't know the details on the DPD though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I know this is old but.... t connector right on the back of the AD16x then 2 BNC cables from the t connector to each 192. Works great here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search