The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Transfer, Restoration, Archive : introductions thread Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Audio Transfer, Restoration, Archive : introductions thread

Perhaps it would be useful to kick this off with an introduction thread? say hi, share what you can/do work on and get some serious networking going?

I'm sure there are going to be times where us knowing about each other, especially internationally, will help our clients out!

My name is Joe Caithness, I run a company/facility in Nottingham, UK called Subsequent Mastering.

Since I got the new room I've been learning and setting up/maintaining/restoring some analogue and digital formats outside the current standards.

I often work alongside a retired engineer who I used to share my room with called Dallas Simpson of dallas MASTERS and we help each other out and occasionally work together on an ad hoc basis if the project requires it. Dallas has a wealth of knowledge about formats dating back to early reel to reel home recorders and also happens to have some serious background in chemical biology, which is very useful!

I have stereo 1/4" tape (with baking for 3 or 4 tapes a go on site) via Studer a810 (just re factory specced and aligned) and Tascam BR20 (with pitch control etc). A few more decks we've worked on/or plan to in the medium term also.

I have on site a Goldring deck with a few different heads for 18-80 RPM discs (including Shellac/Acetate).

Vinyl test pressings and transfers are done via a Pro-Ject deck with an upgraded Ortofon. I'm learning a bunch at the moment about maintaining vinyl discs and players for when a mint copy isn't available..

I am trying to fix up a Mitsubishi Prodigi digital reel to reel right now, but not much luck, managed to get about half way to refurb and got stuck. Would love a SONY PCM DASH deck to play with also. Keeping an eye out.

Also on the digital side I have Sony PCM F1 Betamax and Umatic nailed, VHS is being slightly more tricky due to all the extra information later machines seem to add to the signal.

I can transfer CDR, Minidisc, DAT, DDC (Digital Compact Cassette) as well as audio compact cassette (normal tape) in various formulations and formats. We have a Genex (MODISK) 8 track unit here for transferring live/location recordings in high quality via AES.

Furthermore Dallas and I put together all the old digital storage formats he had used and we have his old Sadie rig set up for capturing DDP from Exabyte. A bunch more bits and bobs in this style I still need to test out, gimme a shout if you have something backed up on an obscure disc drive and I'll see if it works!

As far as getting it in goes I have a couple of different ADs from Prism, Lucid and RME depending on taste.

In the box I have the full Izotope RX bundle and some Sonnox tools in Wavelab as well as all my super transparent mastering plugins from DMG, TDL, Sonnox etc.

I'm currently learning more about repair of discs and other formats, I have a pretty serious tape editing/splicing rig set up ready to go, but would love to know more about vinyl physical restoration. I haven't dared to try fix a DAT or Cassette but I know it can be done..

Anyway that's more than enough about me.. what about y'all?
Old 3 days ago
Hi Joe,

Good on ya for getting this new sub-forum!

In addition to being a mastering engineer for the last 20+ years, I am the acting Audio Preservation Manager/Engineer at New York Public Library, which has one of the largest collections of audio in the US (outside of the Library of Congress). We have material dating back to the earliest sound recordings pre-1900, on through today.

Hope to see lots of people here!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Congrats on getting a dedicated forum thread !

After 35+ years Audio Engineering, I've moved into the realm of Mastering.

Restoration/Mastering has been my gateway. Look forward to the interactions here.

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search