The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope RX7 / Audio Restoration Question
Old 2nd November 2019
iZotope RX7 / Audio Restoration Question

Hello,

I am doing an audio restoration project from a master recording on cassette from 1983 of a high school musical. There are some sections where a singer’s microphone clipped in the PA. It did not clip on the recording, but it sounds bad. Any suggestions for how to get rid of this? I can provide an audio sample.

Hoping to hear from you guys,
Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2019
Sometime RX De-Clip can work. Other than that...good luck!
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear
Sometimes De-clip can work but you may have more success with De-crackle. Posting an excerpt of the sound would help.
Old 4th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
Sometimes De-clip can work but you may have more success with De-crackle. Posting an excerpt of the sound would help.
Yes, some sort of De-crackle program will help soften the distortion. But nothing will fix or remove it. Best you can hope to do is mask it.
Old 4th November 2019
Here are a couple of examples of the clipping. I tried de-clip, with absolutely no effect. I'll give de-crackle a try.
Attached Files

clipping example 1.mp3 (1.03 MB, 431 views)

clipping on grovel.mp3 (1.41 MB, 410 views)

Old 4th November 2019
Too much processing

On a side question, as a rule of thumb, how much additional processing is too much when restoring archive material? Is it a ‘no go’ to add compression and eq? Can anyone point me to other postings or books/web articles to read?
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Violin_Guy View Post
On a side question, as a rule of thumb, how much additional processing is too much when restoring archive material? Is it a ‘no go’ to add compression and eq? Can anyone point me to other postings or books/web articles to read?
EQ [and possible compression] are essential tools I've used in most every Restoration ... but then, this was part of the Clients expectations.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear
I've had a quick play with the first file and found that the Fill Single Click button in Adobe Audition's Click/Pop eliminator was the most effective way to remove the distortion. Most of the distortion is in short sections so you can highlight each section of distortion in the spectral editor and just hit the Fill Single Click button the first time and then just hit F3 for each subsequent section of distortion.

Yes, this is a bit labour intensive and you lose some definition on the distorted areas but I found it more transparent than anything that I could do in RX. It may be worth saying that I'm using an ancient version of Audition (V3.01) so things may have changed in later versions.
Old 2nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Violin_Guy View Post
Hello,

I am doing an audio restoration project from a master recording on cassette from 1983 of a high school musical. There are some sections where a singer’s microphone clipped in the PA. It did not clip on the recording, but it sounds bad. Any suggestions for how to get rid of this? I can provide an audio sample.

Hoping to hear from you guys,
Thanks!
If you have RX Advanced try the deconstruct module. The “reduce noise distortion” preset can help a lot when you’re repairing over saturation that can’t be treated with declip.
📝 Reply