The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora(n) for Archiving Vinyl
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Nut

Lynx Aurora(n) for Archiving Vinyl

Hello, I'm so glad I found this sub-forum dedicated to this.

I dream of doing the best transfers from LP and cassette to digital files possible. I'm looking at every link in my chain, but I'll start here with my converters because I need a new interface anyway.

I've been looking at the Lynx Aurora(n) series as it's a big step up from anything I've every used, it's towards the top of my budget, and it has enough I/O that I can transfer multiple things at once, or use the interface for other things like recording drums.

Would anyone recommend or NOT recommend this piece for my purposes? I've heard a couple things about it only have 120dB as opposed to some others, but I don't really understand what that is in reference to.
Other than that I haven't really heard anything that indicates I could go wrong. Some people seem to swear by Metric Halo, would that be so amazingly better that I should be going with them?

I just want to be really sure that I'm not making a mistake before dropping like $5k.
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Nut

dumb question? Anyone have any experience with this? It might be my only choice at this point but I'd love to learn more about what people are using for archival and why
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear
For vinyl the choice of turntable, cartridge, stylus and preamp and then setting them up correctly are far more important than the choice of convertor.
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Head

Hey tapes! I have the Lynx Aurora(n) and love it so much I'm getting a second unit with a slightly modified I/O for more digital inputs. I use this converter for cassette, vinyl and 1/4" archiving and love the simplicity of it for parallel transfers. Jamesp is right though, the turntable, cartridge, stylus, preamp (using a proper RIAA or other appropriate EQ curve for the media) and also proper media cleaning/static control can make or break a superior transfer. Converters on this level are least of the worry for this work.

If you can use the additional inputs - go for it. My only suggestion though is make sure you the customize the cards/IO the way you want it up front. If you want to upgrade the unit later on for more inputs/outputs, or update the interface (USB/Thunderbolt), you have no choice but to send the entire unit back to the factory. They wont let you slide the card in yourself.

On a limited budget, spend your money on the aforementioned gear/knowledge for vinyl. Your converter is the lowest priority. Cassettes...well, they all sound awful!

For mission-critical transfers, I'm using the Merging Technologies Horus with the AKD8DP cards, which are capable of DSD256 - it's been my personal gold-standard for high-end ingest. With both at 24/96kHz, the Aurora(n) has been pretty dang comparable though...
Old 18th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunofason View Post
On a limited budget, spend your money on the aforementioned gear/knowledge for vinyl. Your converter is the lowest priority.
Thank you gunofason and jamesp for the advice. I ended up going with the Lynx because it will satisfy my other recording I/O needs. It feels good to have this decision off of my plate!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search