The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100+ hours of transfer and restoration
Old 17th September 2019
100+ hours of transfer and restoration

We got in a BIG job. We are transferring the life's work of a local composer. Reel-to-reel tapes, DATs, cassettes and very old CDs.

The R to R tapes are all 1/4" but in many different speeds and head configurations. The tapes are from the 1950s, 1960s. 1970's and 1980's. Some are new back coated tapes some are Scotch 111 or other tapes from the 1950s. I am in the process of spooling them all and fixing splices as needed. ( I never realized how different people spliced tapes - some splices are normal 45 degree cuts some were done with scissors and vary in degrees and some were done with some type of "splicing block" that cut tape in a "crescent moon shape" (light curve) which I have never never seen) They also used all kinds of splicing tape and the length of splicing tape varies from 1/2" to over 3". WOW!!!

I am an analog guy so this is all fun stuff.

Now we will start the transfer and restoration process. More fun.

FWIW.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

Look up the Robins Gibson Girl splicer!
Old 17th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
Look up the Robins Gibson Girl splicer!
I am familiar with that splicer it cuts the tape on both edges. The splice I am describing is across the tape not at the edges. It is at a 45 degree angle BUT it has a slight curve to it kinda like a smiley face. I assume it was some type of automated splicer like the CAT splicer I am currently using. Why the curve - unknown.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Addict

Oh, I see. Weird.
Old 18th September 2019
Here are some of the splices we have encountered so far. Not sure what they were trying to accomplish. FWIW
Attached Thumbnails
100+ hours of transfer and restoration-tape-splices.jpg   100+ hours of transfer and restoration-tape-splices-2.jpg  
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

scary!

(off topic: doing better?)
Old 18th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
scary!

(off topic: doing better?)
Yes thanks much for asking. Back to "normal".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search