The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vinyl transfers how good can it get
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Head

Vinyl transfers how good can it get

Fairly new member. As a hobby I record needle drops. For several months I have been looking to upgrade my ADC . I tried a RME adi-2pro it has a dynamic range of 122(I think) and it IMO didn't sound any better than my Focus rite Forte that has a dynamic range of 117.

I have committed myself to ordering a Merging technologies Anubis that has a dynamic range of 139db. I have to wait till mid September for delivery and have one reservation, is it possible that I will have no audible improvement?

I have a pretty good vinyl setup including a VPI Scout TT and a Dynavector xx2 cartridge.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear
Getting things right at source by using a well set up arm and cartridge with a good stylus are the most important factors in my opinion. The differences between a mid range ADC like that in the Forte and a high end ADC are very small compared to the differences in cartridges. With vinyl dynamic range isn't particularly important as you'll struggle to obtain a dynamic range of more than about 70dB from most vinyl.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
Getting things right at source by using a well set up arm and cartridge with a good stylus are the most important factors in my opinion. The differences between a mid range ADC like that in the Forte and a high end ADC are very small compared to the differences in cartridges. With vinyl dynamic range isn't particularly important as you'll struggle to obtain a dynamic range of more than about 70dB from most vinyl.
I agree the source is the biggest part. I have about 5g in my TT setup and the cartridge is aligned correctly.

What you are saying is I may already be recording as well as I can expect. If I can hear any improvement at all I'm good with that.

I already ordered up a new computer just so it will work with the Anubis, It was time the system is 12 years old.
Old 2nd September 2019
Agreed with the others. Really good ADCs (ideally) should not sound very different. The DR gain you’re getting with your upgrades is not as important as TT setup, and also stylus size.

Different sizes of microgroove styli can give you vastly different results, depending on how the disc was cut. Also, the quality of your RIAA EQ will make a big difference too. Compare and contrast both when doing transfers.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head

Just an update. I got the Anubis demo and the ADC does sound slightly better. The surprise is the DAC seems to be a significant improvement. The verdict is not in yet but it I believe it is better different for sure.
Here's the odd thing it is my opinion that at least on a few records the unprocessed needle drop when played back through the Anubis DAC directly after recording sounds a little better in subtle ways. So I'm trying to put my finger on what is it that sounds different and make sure it's an improvement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search