The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ADC and interface recommendation
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

ADC and interface recommendation

Hello! I am making solo voice recordings on my mono Nagra 4.2. I want to do the best conversion that I can on my budget. My signal chain is:

Schoeps CMC6MK2 -> Mogami Gold -> Nagra 4.2

From there, within my budget I am thinking of converting with a Mytek Stereo 192 and then going through an interface into audacity. The rep at Mytek recommended the Scarlett 6i6.

My budget for the ADC and interface is about $800. Does this seem like a good choice? Is there a better ADC I can get for the money (will have to buy used), or another interface?

The rep at Mytek also said that perhaps the Stereo 96 might be a little "warmer", like that "tape" sound, and that the 192 was more archival, accurate, and clinical sounding. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for you help!

P.S. I posted a similar question in the general forum and reposted here on the advice of another user. Hope that is ok!
Old 4 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

Looks like a good combination.

If you want to go all in one you could also try the 2 channel Claret also from Focusrite.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think the conversion is as good on the clarett? My only goal here is analog to digital conversion, and the 6i6 is really just to get the converted file to usb at 192/24.
Old 4 weeks ago
Mastering Moderator

They are both very good, I was just suggesting an alternative while symplifying the workflow..... i.e. one ADC and DAC for monitoring within one interface on a single clock source ......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search