The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interested in Audio restoration/legacy formats- where do I start?
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

Interested in Audio restoration/legacy formats- where do I start?

Hi everyone!

I hope I've posted in the right forum, but my name is Lina and I'm a recent graduate of UAL, London. For the past few years, my interest in sound preservation grew after working with analog formats for my art practice. My research and focus have mainly been on the phonograph and other legacy recordings.

My intention is to find someone who could take me as an apprentice or find an opportunity for me in handling/preserving legacy formats and other audio recordings. Although it is an awkward jump from the creative arts into the field of audio preservation, I'm passionate about learning more about this field -, especially obsolete formats.

I'm a bit lost at the moment and have been on the search for sound archives around the NYC area / US in general for internships within the audio preservation/digital transfer field. I thought of posting in this forum as everyone here has many years of experience, and wanted to know if anyone could offer any advice? Am I being too narrow-focused in my search? Are there other avenues to search through?

thank you all for taking the time to read this post!
Old 3rd August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lina22 View Post
Hi everyone!

I hope I've posted in the right forum, but my name is Lina and I'm a recent graduate of UAL, London. For the past few years, my interest in sound preservation grew after working with analog formats for my art practice. My research and focus have mainly been on the phonograph and other legacy recordings.

My intention is to find someone who could take me as an apprentice or find an opportunity for me in handling/preserving legacy formats and other audio recordings. Although it is an awkward jump from the creative arts into the field of audio preservation, I'm passionate about learning more about this field -, especially obsolete formats.

I'm a bit lost at the moment and have been on the search for sound archives around the NYC area / US in general for internships within the audio preservation/digital transfer field. I thought of posting in this forum as everyone here has many years of experience, and wanted to know if anyone could offer any advice? Am I being too narrow-focused in my search? Are there other avenues to search through?

thank you all for taking the time to read this post!

Three places come to mind. The Roger and Hammerstein archives of recorded sound. See https://www.nypl.org/about/divisions...recorded-sound

and Stanford University Archive of Recorded Sound | Stanford Libraries

and this listing https://www.arsc-audio.org/pdf/directory.pdf

Best of luck. It is an exciting career and one I am sure you will enjoy.

Best of luck!
Old 3rd August 2018
Lives for gear

If you're really interested in audio restoration as a career, get interested in law enforcement and video restoration as well. That's what the director of our state police forensics lab told me. You will also be in demand by divorce lawyers, for obvious reasons.

Sorry for this unromantic response, but that's what I was told.
Old 4th August 2018
Forensic audio is definitely an avenue of audio restoration one can go down, and if one can handle the emotional aspect of that kind of work, it can be very profitable. Audio preservation, however, is a totally different animal.

For forensic audio, there’s really only one name to know these days: Tom Owen. Owen Forensic Services, LLC

But I don’t think that’s what Lina meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
If you're really interested in audio restoration as a career, get interested in law enforcement and video restoration as well. That's what the director of our state police forensics lab told me. You will also be in demand by divorce lawyers, for obvious reasons.

Sorry for this unromantic response, but that's what I was told.
Old 4th August 2018
We did forensic audio for a number of years and for a number of different law enforcement agencies, lawyers and for individuals. I don't do it any more for a number of reasons. First and foremost because of the "creep factor" A lot of what I had to work with was just plain disgusting. From someone threatening to murder his wife upon his return from Europe to a boss saying terrible things about his secretary, basically calling her a ***** and his bitch. Also because a lot of the recordings were poorly done and almost impossible to resurrect into anything that could be useful in court. And thirdly because people watch programs like CSI and think what they do is real, like the episode where they took cell phone audio and converted it into 7 tracks of clearly audible audio. Those types of programs convince the average person that they are actually doing the work when, in fact, it is all "movie magic". When the person or law enforcement agency brings in something that was recorded from the bottom of a women't purse and is all completely inaudible and wants it to be made into something they can take to court and when you tell them that it is impossible they say, but I saw it done on CSI.

I am honestly happy I no longer do forensics. The "creep factor" alone is the main reason I got out of the business.

I guess there are people who enjoy doing this and are good at it. I will send the forensic clients to you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search