The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Client only wants to pay for part of a transfer.
Old 23rd May 2018
Client only wants to pay for part of a transfer.

Got a client who asked us to transfer a cassette.

BUT she only wants to pay for the part where she and her sister are talking. It means I have to transfer the whole cassette and then edit the parts out that do not contain her and her sister and then only charge her for the parts she wants. What would YOU do if YOUR client wanted this done? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Guru

Does that mean you have to go in and hunt for that part? Or can she tell you "It's between 6 and 11 minutes."? If she can help you out in that way, give her a break on the dubbing time. Scroll down to 6 minutes, start the dub, go do the dishes or something for 10 minutes, and come back.

If she can't be bothered to find out where it is, or doesn't have a cassette machine, explain how she can save you time and herself money by making the effort.
Old 23rd May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Does that mean you have to go in and hunt for that part? Or can she tell you "It's between 6 and 11 minutes."? If she can help you out in that way, give her a break on the dubbing time. Scroll down to 6 minutes, start the dub, go do the dishes or something for 10 minutes, and come back.

If she can't be bothered to find out where it is, or doesn't have a cassette machine, explain how she can save you time and herself money by making the effort.
Yes and she and her sister are in multiple places on the cassette so I have to hunt and listen to the whole %^&*($% cassette. Luckily it is not that long.

Clients assume that it is easier for me to do it than for them.

FYI she does not have a cassette deck.
Old 23rd May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Yes and she and her sister are in multiple places on the cassette so I have to hunt and listen to the whole %^&*($% cassette. Luckily it is not that long.

Clients assume that it is easier for me to do it than for them.

FYI she does not have a cassette deck.
Then explain that she's paying for time, and how the time will be spent. The explaining, of course, counts as time you've spent on the job, so you're already screwed. :-)

If she's only got so much money and you'll either pry it out of her or not, maybe she can sweeten the deal. Bake you a plate of cookies or something.

When I was a paperboy, the minister an the local Holy Roller church would pay me with produce, which was bulky but great. Another gentleman tried that, too, with a couple squirrels he had poached from the Catholic Diocese woodlot. I begged off, explaining that while fresh game is always a treat, my mom would make me skin and clean it myself.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 23rd May 2018 at 03:01 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search