The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where do you advertise your services
Old 27th February 2018
Where do you advertise your services

Without divulging any "state secrets" can I ask where you advertise your restoration services.

When we get people here through some convoluted routes they always say "gee I would have been here earlier if I knew about you.

Not sure where and when to advertise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter

Less paid advertising, more presence and showing off skills
Old 28th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Instagram, Facebook, Twitter

Less paid advertising, more presence and showing off skills
Thanks!
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

I´ve never advertised my service officially. working 20 years in the bussiness now I have loads of contacts and all my new customers come on recommendation or because they heard my work somewhere (mostly vinyl nowadays) and found out who´s the engineer behind.

this keeps also customers away that are just shopping around for mastering options, ready to change mastering engineers as others change their shirts. being not so easy to find, I think only the "right" people find me.
btw email is my only contact. safes time and monney and helps to keep focused on the important things: customer relationship and mastering!

I´m pretty sure I could get much more work if I´d advertise, but I have enough to make a decent living for me and my family and I´m not in this only because of the monney. A good work life balance is very important to me and I need a lot of free time for my family and other interests.

besides the mastering work I also run two small labels, do some mixing for some well know artist that I´m close with and a little bit of DJing here and there. But mastering puts the food on the table.

maybe I will get a website for my mastering service at some point but atm I don´t feel any need for it (but that´s what I´ve been thinking since everybody and their little brother got a website for something they offer, hence a long long time).

being sort of an insider tip also has other advantages. when a customer has found his way to me, sometimes it was not easy to find me or he has reached me because someone that has a good reputation gave him my contact (after confirming with me of course first). that gives him a feeling of exclusivity. in the end it´s an unusual bussiness model, but it works well for me.

I have never planned anything in my life (well I did, but doing or not doing something or another in order to achieve a specific result turned out differently most of the time) everything just "happened". I think I can call me lucky
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Thanks!
Make a video a day, and a bunch of photos showing you at work with a nice tagline and the right hashtags
Old 2nd March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_caithness View Post
Make a video a day, and a bunch of photos showing you at work with a nice tagline and the right hashtags
Thanks for the info and thoughts. Much appreciated. Have a GREAT weekend.
Old 2nd March 2018
Here for the gear
If you have a webpage, you should also create a "google place/business". When you have some reviews there - you can give out lil discounts or just add the links when you send out invoices - your webpage ranks better on google itself, when people looking for services.

I wouldn' t invest in paid promo for youtube, facebook, insta, ...
Tried it for myself, did not rly work out and since I paid once they limit my reach, if I don't pay them

I had one "big shoot" in promoting myself - I am a noob at this - by doing a contest in cooperation with a music magazine.
It was like "send in your songs, the best one becomes mixed and mastered by this renowned guy yadda yadda".
Mixed a cool song for some young cats and years after I am mixing almost everyone around their city
Old 2nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
I´ve never advertised my service officially. working 20 years in the bussiness now I have loads of contacts and all my new customers come on recommendation or because they heard my work somewhere (mostly vinyl nowadays) and found out who´s the engineer behind.

this keeps also customers away that are just shopping around for mastering options, ready to change mastering engineers as others change their shirts. being not so easy to find, I think only the "right" people find me.
btw email is my only contact. safes time and monney and helps to keep focused on the important things: customer relationship and mastering!

I´m pretty sure I could get much more work if I´d advertise, but I have enough to make a decent living for me and my family and I´m not in this only because of the monney. A good work life balance is very important to me and I need a lot of free time for my family and other interests.

besides the mastering work I also run two small labels, do some mixing for some well know artist that I´m close with and a little bit of DJing here and there. But mastering puts the food on the table.

maybe I will get a website for my mastering service at some point but atm I don´t feel any need for it (but that´s what I´ve been thinking since everybody and their little brother got a website for something they offer, hence a long long time).

being sort of an insider tip also has other advantages. when a customer has found his way to me, sometimes it was not easy to find me or he has reached me because someone that has a good reputation gave him my contact (after confirming with me of course first). that gives him a feeling of exclusivity. in the end it´s an unusual bussiness model, but it works well for me.

I have never planned anything in my life (well I did, but doing or not doing something or another in order to achieve a specific result turned out differently most of the time) everything just "happened". I think I can call me lucky
i'm 52 and have been working in this busimess since i was 16 (to various degrees while studying). got all the support i needed from my parents/friends and had a great mentor/teacher - i consider myself very lucky!

when i started out, i was trying to get into as many areas dealing with sound that i could find - today, i still play in a band (for fun), do both live and studio mixing, mastering to a lesser degree; i try to focus on things that i think i do well and with people who i like.

regarding advertising: i don't do any! no tinder for techies, no fakebook, no instanything, nada, njet - just email (i do not even up-/download any files...)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search