The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A problem with an embossed disk
Old 17th February 2018
A problem with an embossed disk

I got an "embossed disk" in to transfer. It was created in the early 1950's in New York. It is a spoken message from a father leaving for war to his family in Ohio. We have done a lot of these in the past with good results. In this case the father's voice is almost complete buried in the noise. I am pretty good at using RX and have gotten the voice audible but there is no definition so what the person is saying still is garbled. Suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance...
Old 18th February 2018
Deleted User
This is where the Cedar Cambridge Forensic modules (such as the FNR and Trinity Enhance) really come in to their own (a comparative tool honestly isn't currently available).

If budget allows, Cedar still provides a Bureau service. You could always send Cedar a short 30 second sample, and they should be able to provide a test sample gratis.
Old 18th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
This is where the Cedar Cambridge Forensic modules (such as the FNR and Trinity Enhance) really come in to their own (a comparative tool honestly isn't currently available).

If budget allows, Cedar still provides a Bureau service. You could always send Cedar a short 30 second sample, and they should be able to provide a test sample gratis.
I have both the RX6 and the Diamond Cut Productions Forensics 10 Audio Software and neither of them could do anything. Normally I am very skilled at using them but in this case...no joy! I had the person who gave us the disk over yesterday and he was upset that we could not do anything but after I showed him what the problems were and how much time we had already invested he said he understood. I will contact Cedar and see if they can do anything. Thanks for the tip.

Have a good weekend.
Old 24th May 2018
Tom,
How many different styli did you try? Try using a different size/shape truncated stylus, either larger or smaller. 8 times out of ten this will do the heavy lifting of cleanup that you’re asking of these digital algorithms.

Also, some of these embossed disc formats were constant velocity discs, so check for pitch throughout.

PS: I now see how old this thread is, so perhaps for next time...

Jeff
Old 24th May 2018
Gear Head

I suppose recording is mono... and i hope you use Central extractor to eleminate noise ? You can try Zynaptiq UNCHIRP, to do some cleaning and voice sharpening...
Old 24th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willens View Post
Tom,
How many different styli did you try? Try using a different size/shape truncated stylus, either larger or smaller. 8 times out of ten this will do the heavy lifting of cleanup that you’re asking of these digital algorithms.

Also, some of these embossed disc formats were constant velocity discs, so check for pitch throughout.

PS: I now see how old this thread is, so perhaps for next time...

Jeff
I tired three different styli. I tired "hill and dale" playback, I tried using RX and software from two other companies. There was just not enough signal to do anything with. I even sent it to another member of this web board and he also could not do anything with it. It is unknown how this disc was stored or if it was ever "loud" enough for normal playback. Maybe when it was recorded there was something wrong with the mechanism or maybe the speaker was too far away from the microphone. Thanks for taking your time to reply! I really appreciate it.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search