The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vinyl records...
Old 6th December 2017
Vinyl records...

I have a big transfer/restoration job in house. Lots of vinyl to transfer. It is interesting to note that that for me when I put on a vinyl record I really want to listen to the whole side. It is not a CD where one can jump from track to track (easily). My intern who is helping me had never heard a vinyl record and was fascinated with the whole transfer. We have a microscope on our turntable so I was able to show him the groves which he also found fascinating.

The one thing that I am noticing is the difference in weights of various vinyl records. Some are thicker than others and one is so thin it droops when you pick it up. I am wondering if there was a "standard" weight or did it depend on who manufactured it and when it was produced?

I also an noticing the differences in play length and their effects on the overall sound reproduction. I was always taught that 22 minutes was about the longest one could go on a side for a vinyl record. Yesterday I did a record with 30 minutes on one side and 31 minutes on the other side. The levels were down and the bass had been rolled back.

Fascinating project and very enjoyable to do.

FWIW
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

There is no standard record weight. They can be anywhere from about 110g - 200g. Somewhere around 120g is generally called "commercial weight". Around 140g has a solid feel but doesn't feel heavy. 180g is thick and heavy. The weight of the record is no indicator of quality.

You will also notice differing record profiles between records. Every plant has their own profile and weights. One trick bootleggers used to use was to copy the record profile of a well known plant like WEA so no one could tell where the records came from.
Old 9th June 2018
Here for the gear

They don't make them like they used to.

"Beat Juggling" is a DJ technique in which you play the same short segment on a record over and over, alternating between the two turntables. So in creating a 2 bar loop, you will play the same part of the record hundreds or thousands of times.

I did this once using an old, flimsy original pressing on one turntable and a nice, heavy, brand-new 180g re-issue on the other. After a short while, the record burn on the re-issue was excruciating, while the scuffed-up original had maybe lost a little high-end but was still quite playable.
Old 9th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogul View Post
They don't make them like they used to.

"Beat Juggling" is a DJ technique in which you play the same short segment on a record over and over, alternating between the two turntables. So in creating a 2 bar loop, you will play the same part of the record hundreds or thousands of times.

I did this once using an old, flimsy original pressing on one turntable and a nice, heavy, brand-new 180g re-issue on the other. After a short while, the record burn on the re-issue was excruciating, while the scuffed-up original had maybe lost a little high-end but was still quite playable.
I’ve noticed the same thing. The newer pressings the vinyl is somehow softer and gets cue burn very quickly. I’ve older discs that I used to scratch all the time and they still seem about 95%.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search