Music Business Articles
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Articles - Music Business Articles
GearAndGuitars 31st January 2015 05:51 PM
Quote:
How To Ruin Your Career & Bring Down The Music Industry - 8dio

So here we are … the revenue is pretty cut in half over the last 15 years and there are no signs of notable recovery. We are seeing streaming services that makes it impossible for any upcoming artist to make any notable revenue and even high-end artists (ex. Taylor Swift) have decided to pull out. But the notion is not just that music should be free. It is also that movies, games, software and music software should be free..

GearAndGuitars 30th January 2015 05:13 PM
Quote:
Sly Stone is awarded $5 million in lawsuit over unpaid royalties - LA Times

Sly Stone is awarded $5 million in lawsuit against Jerry Goldstein, Glenn Stone and Even St. Productions over unpaid royalties

GearAndGuitars 29th January 2015 10:53 PM
Quote:
Italy Launches Largest Ever Pirate Site Blockade | TorrentFreak

A complaint filed by 21st Century Fox's Sky TV has ended in Italy's most aggressive site-blocking action yet. Coordinated by the Public Prosecutor of Rome, the operation has resulted in more than 120 international 'pirate' streaming websites being blacked out by local ISPs

Whitecat 29th January 2015 10:38 PM
Quote:
Tom Petty on Sam Smith song similarity: 'Nothing more than a musical accident' | Musi

Veteran singer publishes amicable response regarding Stay With Me’s likeness to 1989 hit I Won’t Back Down

Whitecat 29th January 2015 09:12 PM
Quote:
Bone music: the Soviet bootleg records pressed on x-rays | Music | The Guardian

In 50s Soviet Union, western records such as Rock Around the Clock and Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy were banned. But intrepid music lovers found a way to defy the authorities by making bootleg pressings on discarded x-rays. Pete Paphides reports

GearAndGuitars 29th January 2015 07:49 PM
Quote:
Assessing piracy harm is like climate science. - The Illusion of MoreThe Illusion of

An article in TorrentFreak wonders why piracy didn't harm the box office success of "American Sniper." This is the wrong question.

GearAndGuitars 29th January 2015 07:47 PM
Quote:
The Australian Music Industry Is In Trouble - Forbes

Plenty of countries saw their music industry numbers climb this past year—including the United States, which actually wtinessed a small bit of growth across the entire industry, even if certain sectors actually declined—but unfortunately it looks like Australia’s industry isn’t seeing the same, and it may be in trouble. According to [...]

GearAndGuitars 29th January 2015 07:46 PM
Quote:
SoundExchange to Audit iHeart, CBS and Other Webcasters and Digital Music Services |

This week, several notices of the intent to audit the records of several webcasters and other digital music services were published in the Federal Register

GearAndGuitars 29th January 2015 05:57 PM
Quote:
Washington Post Op-ed: Digital economy a major source of inequality | The Salt Lake

By Andrew White Special To The Washington Post NOTTINGHAM, England • When we think about income and wealth inequalities, we are tempted to lay blame on the old way of doing things. In “Capital in ...

Whitecat 29th January 2015 03:54 PM
Quote:
Guvera: 'We'll be the biggest music streaming company in the world' | Music Week

Australian company hails ad-funded model after buying Tesco's Blinkbox Music

Whitecat 29th January 2015 03:51 PM
Quote:
Sub Pop artist creates music-streaming site to mock Pandora, Spotify | Ars Technica

Father John Misty: "Is there a way to prevent anyone from spending money ever?"

Whitecat 29th January 2015 09:36 AM
Quote:
Down with Debrett’s: an alternative guide to UK music's most influential | Music |

Caroline Sullivan names her contenders for the most influential people in British music, in response to Debrett’s 500

GearAndGuitars 29th January 2015 04:16 AM
Quote:
Why I’m Not Streaming My New Album | Grant Langston

But this record is going to be different from the others for another reason. I’m not going to sell it on streaming services. You can still find all my other work on Spotify, Rhapsody, Pandora and others, so I suppose I’m not a militant opposer. But it’s easy to keep this new recording away from that streaming universe, and I’d like to share the reasons why I’ve made the choice to do so.

Whitecat 28th January 2015 06:04 PM
Quote:
Sony axes PlayStation Music Unlimited service in favour of Spotify | Technology | The

Streaming service will be exclusive partner for new PlayStation Music brand across consoles, smartphones and tablets

Whitecat 28th January 2015 02:42 PM
Quote:
Why CDs May Actually Sound Better Than Vinyl - Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Eve

LA Weekly is the definitive source of information for news, music, movies, restaurants, reviews, and events in Los Angeles.

GearAndGuitars 26th January 2015 05:58 PM
Quote:
Zoe Keating Shows Us Why YouTube’ Attitudes To Its Creators Must Change

It is easy to think of the internet as a mature medium, especially for those who were born into the internet era. However we are still at the earliest of stages. We are where radio was in the 1930’s and where TV was in the 1950’s: the first signs of the future markets are in…

Whitecat 26th January 2015 05:23 PM
Quote:
Tom Petty awarded songwriting royalties for Sam Smith’s “Stay With Me"

UK crooner's breakout single shares distinct similarities to "I Won't Back Down."

GearAndGuitars 26th January 2015 05:54 AM
Quote:
Google Tells Zoe Keating: Sign Music Key Deal or We'll Block Your YouTube Channel - h

Google has cut deals with the major labels and most independents to launch YouTube Music Key, a paid music and video subscription service. But truly indie artists like Zoe Keating are now being forced to sign a new Google deal as-is or be pulled off YouTube entirely. "They were nice and took time to explain everything clearly to me," Keating wrote on her blog. "but the message was firm.... I need to sign on to the new Youtube music services agreement or I will have my Youtube channel blocked." Zoe Keating has built a successful career outside the traditional music...

Whitecat 26th January 2015 12:39 AM
Quote:
Wu-Tang Clan and The Sexual Objects offer fans a chance to own the only copies of th

Pop artists are finding new ways of reaching No 1. Two very different groups are making new albums available in single-copy sales to the highest bidder – one solitary copy of each for the whole world.

theblue1 25th January 2015 03:42 AM
Quote:
What should I do about Youtube? | Zoë Keating

What should I do about Youtube? My Google Youtube rep contacted me the other day. They were nice and took time to explain everything clearly to me, but the message was firm: I have to decide. I need...
This has gotten some third party ink recently; in one notable case, the facts were substantially mischaracterized regarding the types of YouTube account holders that Zoe's vexing predicament applies to. These issues are already complicated enough without misinterpretations and errors of fact being added by others. Here's Zoë's account in her own words...
GearAndGuitars 24th January 2015 09:17 PM
Quote:
YouTube Is Removing Any Artist That Refuses to License Its Subscription Service... -

Last year, this was a threat. Now, YouTube isn’t backing down. The following post comes from successful independent artist and acclaimed cellist Zoë Keating, who just finished talking to YouTube about their upcoming subscription service, Music Key.

GearAndGuitars 24th January 2015 09:00 PM
Quote:
The Revolution Shall be Monetized: Zoë Keating Confirms YouTube Learned Nothing Fro

…there was lunch in the larger, first floor cafeteria where, in the corner, on a small stage there was a man, playing a guitar, who looked like an aging singer-songwriter Mae’s parents listened to. “Is that….?” “It is,” Annie said, not breaking her stride.* “There’s someone every day.** Musicians, comedians, writers….We book them a year…

GearAndGuitars 24th January 2015 08:31 PM
Quote:
YouTube under fire from musician Zoe Keating over Music Key contract | Technology | T

Google’s video service may have agreed music deals with indie labels, but DIY artist says she’s still being pressured to sign unfair terms

Whitecat 24th January 2015 07:06 PM
Quote:
Bjork Pitchfork interview: She’s tired of not getting credit for her music

Pitchfork published a new interview with Björk on Wednesday, and in it she speaks powerfully about the kind of sexism she’s faced in her career. Asked by Jessica Hopper about early reports that Arca was the “sole producer” on the album rather than, as Arca later clarified, a co-producer, Björk...

GearAndGuitars 24th January 2015 09:22 AM
Quote:
What should I do about Youtube? | Zoë Keating

What should I do about Youtube? My Google Youtube rep contacted me the other day. They were nice and took time to explain everything clearly to me, but the message was firm: I have to decide. I need...

Whitecat 24th January 2015 12:34 AM
Quote:
Music fans flood in as squatters throw open doors of Soho live venue | Society | The

Activists calling themselves Bohemians 4 Soho occupy bar in central London, which has been shut up ahead of redevelopment

Whitecat 22nd January 2015 04:23 PM
Quote:
Never Too Early: How The Music Industry Breeds Its Own - hypebot

By Richard J Nardo for Linkedin Pulse As a young entrepreneur, a little more than a year into running my own music industry-based company, I find it a tremendous asset to share an office with the founder and managing partner of one of the fastest growing booking agencies in our industry. Eight years into running his own shop, Ryan Soroka has built the Soroka Agency from an outlet for putting together shows for his friend’s bands in New Jersey to an organization that books national tours and public appearances for some of the most popular musical acts and performance artists...

Whitecat 22nd January 2015 04:22 PM
Quote:
Cowboys and Indies review – a sweeping overview of the music industry | Books | The

Gareth Murphy’s tantalising history of the record industry tries to cover too much ground, writes Kitty Empire

Whitecat 22nd January 2015 04:19 PM
Quote:
Fans study Kraftwerk in Birmingham

Birmingham plays host to the world's first academic conference about German electronic pioneers Kraftwerk.

Whitecat 22nd January 2015 02:18 PM
Quote:
Mortdecai star Johnny Depp says actors making music off the back of movies is 'sickening'

Don't expect the Hollywood superstar to follow in the footsteps of actors capitalising on their fame to become recording artists.

GearAndGuitars 22nd January 2015 04:49 AM
Quote:
YouTube's 10 most profitable channels of 2014 were, um, not what I expected | Ve

From toy unboxing to virtual cake, Openslate’s list of the top YouTube earners is on the wild side.

Whitecat 21st January 2015 12:02 PM
Quote:
Fender's move to sell instruments directly to musicians upsets dealers - LA Time

Fender's curvy Stratocasters, Telecasters and Jazz Basses have been must-have features of guitar shop walls for decades.

Whitecat 21st January 2015 10:23 AM
Quote:
Apple buys the UK startup behind music analytics service Musicmetric | Technology | T

Company helps record labels track digital sales, streams and social stats, and could become part of Beats Music relaunch

Whitecat 20th January 2015 04:44 PM
Quote:
Meet Nipsey Hussle, the rapper who wants you to pay $1,000 for his album | Music | Th

After leaving Epic Records, the LA rapper had to find a new way to sell his music, and hit on a brainwave – give it away free, but charge a few people a lot. Judging by new release Mailbox Money, it’s working for him

GearAndGuitars 20th January 2015 12:47 AM
Quote:
HMV beats Amazon and reclaims top spot as Britain's biggest retailer of physical

HMV is making a comeback on the high street, reclaiming the top spot as the UK's biggest seller of physical music, with vinyl sales soaring to thei

Whitecat 18th January 2015 11:45 AM
Quote:
The Shazam Effect - Atlantic Mobile

Record companies are tracking download and search data to predict which new songs will be hits. This has been good for business—but is it bad for music?

GearAndGuitars 18th January 2015 01:15 AM
Quote:
How One Generation Was Single-Handedly Able To Kill The Music Industry

The old music industry is dead. We’re standing in the ruins of a business built on private jets, Cristal, $18 CDs and million-dollar recording budgets.

Whitecat 18th January 2015 12:01 AM
Quote:
PJ Harvey begins live recording of new album at Somerset House | Gigwise

Visitors will witness some true recording magic | Gigwise

Whitecat 16th January 2015 07:08 PM
Quote:
Pink Floyd drummer blames Apple for music's downfall

Pink Floyd drummer blames Apple for music's downfall

Search Articles

Article Forum v1.9 Copyright by BananaLive