The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd June 2014
  #181
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
- I wish i'd get a cool hardware controller for internal and external plugins
pple: Contact me, I have a bunch of great ideas I wouldn't post here heh
Try getting a used Mackie C4 Pro. It works great. You have instant access to 32 plug-in parameters and more.
Old 22nd June 2014
  #182
Gear Nut
 
nishant's Avatar
a shortcut to midi functions too. Right now you can't assign a shortcut to any of those tools (for example double/half speed or quantize length)
Old 22nd June 2014
  #183
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant View Post
a shortcut to midi functions too. Right now you can't assign a shortcut to any of those tools (for example double/half speed or quantize length)
IMO there should be key commands for eg. changing lengths independent of the MIDI Transform menu/window as well.

The current ones ("1/4 note" etc) only work what you do in the Step Input Keyboard window.

And those who work in the Score Window (to define a note length before you enter a note, called "Partbox: 1/4 Note" etc) don't work in the piano roll. It's relatively messy.

It would be great to be able to just right click the note and define it's length from a contextual menu as well, in all windows.

The problem may be that Logic early got a reputation for being good at MIDI editing and composing, so these things haven't been improved for ages.

A common set of key commands for defining note length which works in all MIDI editing windows would make a lot of sense.
Old 23rd June 2014
  #184
Lives for gear
 

Emphasize on the work flow for the user. Fix bugs and make more pleasant GUI.
Old 25th June 2014
  #185
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubstrol View Post
Tempo Snapshot(at least 2)

Global Plug in Bypass

Bring back "Click and Drag to Zoom in Arrange Page"
1. Tempo alternatives do this, no?
2. Agreed
3. Still there, just hold down alt at same time.
Old 25th June 2014
  #186
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

IMO it's time to consider if the existence of regions and region borders is as important as we think it is. I think the Arrange area in Logic needs two modes; one region based and one "event based" (or "slice based", where a slice is the area between two transient/flex markers).


For MIDI that should be simple. When this mode is active, one could select events freely the way it's done in the Piano Roll. A "Region on/off" button could switch between a region based arrange area and an event based arrange area.

Fur audio, it would work the same way - but this would require that an slightly more advanced version of the current Flex technology should be used to detect 'events' (blobs, slices) inside an audio region.

With Flex Pitch, this is already possible to some degree. One can grab a note and edit it without having to isolate it as a separate region. One can also edit flex analysed 'events' rhythmically, by dragging a Flex marker to the left or right. But currently, we deal with Flex and Transient markers, not 'events' or 'blobs'.

Very often, when I edit something in the Arrange area, I want to move a whole 'blob' (eg the entire length of a drum hit, a sung word, or syllable within a word.

If Apple would combine the Flex Pitch and Flex Time capabilities, and perform advanced audio editing in Arrange (for multiple tracks), and switch between (flex/transient) marker based editing, and event based editing, editing anything - on multiple tracks simultaneously - would be a lot faster and simpler than it is in LPX.


It would at least be great if the Marquee tool (optionally) - when dragging it over a flex-enabled region - would first select one full slice (slice then two slices, then three slices etc - just like it does with MIDI events in the piano roll. With such a change the need to create new, smaller regions before editing something in Arrange would be drastically removed.
Old 25th June 2014
  #187
Gear Head
 

Hi slammy80

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
I'm pretty sure you can already go this.

How can you do this?


I actually like the new way much better. It is a faster workflow (improvement) especially when toggling on/off entire insert chains. However, along the lines that you are talking about, I would *LOVE* it if they allowed the user to turn off an entire set of inserts across all channels ala PT. (for example, a compressor inserted on the second insert could be toggled on/off across all channels at once.)

I'm talking about the accuracy of the pointing: before this change, picking an insert slot with the mouse was way quicker, now you have to pay more attention on the pointer.


YEP!
Old 26th June 2014
  #188
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Actually I want this already to Logic Pro X 10.0.8. I would like to choose multiple channel strips at once and choose one icon for all those. Now I have to do the same for all the channel strips individually. For example lets say that I want to use a picture of female singer for all the female vocal parts. Now I have to do it individually for all the channel strips.
Old 26th June 2014
  #189
Lives for gear
 
kim olesen's Avatar
 

I want it to be possible to reset more than one channel strip at a time.
Old 27th June 2014
  #190
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim olesen View Post
I want it to be possible to reset more than one channel strip at a time.
Yep, I want that too!

Maybe you could give a feedback regarding this subject? I just wrote them about my thoughts regarding channel strip icons.
Old 28th June 2014
  #191
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim olesen View Post
I want it to be possible to reset more than one channel strip at a time.
You can do this already,
Just select the channels you want to reset in the mixer then use the reset channel strip key command

You might have to set the key command up first.

enjoy
Old 28th June 2014
  #192
Gear Maniac
 
palebluedot's Avatar
 

Undo for fader moves
Old 5th July 2014
  #193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzdb View Post
You can do this already,
Just select the channels you want to reset in the mixer then use the reset channel strip key command

You might have to set the key command up first.

enjoy
Nope.. Only resets the fader that you can see the highlighted little green box around. It doesnt reset any of the others youve grouped with it. I specifically made this key command a couple months ago for this purpose, and discovered it works exactly the same as if you had selected it from the menu on the strip itself. It only resets THAT strip.
Old 5th July 2014
  #194
Gear Nut
 
seeren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Nope.. Only resets the fader that you can see the highlighted little green box around. It doesnt reset any of the others youve grouped with it. I specifically made this key command a couple months ago for this purpose, and discovered it works exactly the same as if you had selected it from the menu on the strip itself. It only resets THAT strip.
It works here. What is the little green box around the fader? I'm going to guess that you (or am I... I forget) are running a modified GUI, and the green box around the fader is around the settings box in the inspector. I'll also guess that you have the arrange area 'in focus' when you try this, instead of the mixer. If the arrange is in focus then it behaves as you say, if the mixer is in focus all selected channels are reset.
Old 17th July 2014
  #195
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Two more suggestions for L11:

1) I hope Logic 11 will have a "Create New project with selected regions" feature. This way, I could use the Finder itself as an "Idea Pool". How? By recording new ideas which pop up into the song I'm working on into a separate regions/tracks, and saving these new regions only and use the suggested command. Like with many others, I get new musical ideas when I work with ideas I already have recorded, and it would be nice to have a way to collect all these ideas.
2) Not only does Logic need and have an image as a preview feature built into project files, but it needs am audible preview as well (MP3 or similar). I believe GarageBand has this already. This way, I could select a project in the Finder, press Spacebar, and not only see but also hear a stereo mix of the selected project as an option. This would be a perfect companion the other feature I just suggested.
Old 17th July 2014
  #196
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Here is an old Logic 10 wish list with many features I'd still like to see in Logic. Some of them have been partially or fully implemented. (marked with a )

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Here's a more detailed overview, within a few main categories where I think Logic needs the most focus... (creating music being the most important one) ...including, of course, some shameless self-repetition (aka lobbying). :-)
As far as I can tell, all these enhancements would be great both for pros and amateurs. Many of them are not sound engineer oriented or focus on the kind of stuff we often discuss on this forum ("gear").

CREATING GOOD MUSIC!
CREATING MUSIC/GLOBAL. An idea bank is an area somehow similar to the Loop Browser (but faster) for storing MIDI and Audio regions which will be available in all songs. Well organized pros may be OK with having all their ideas in separate projects: neatly sorted ideas in folders full of Logic projects with properly named titles. Enthusiasts would prefer to click one place in Logic, and get an overview of their best, unfinished ideas without opening anything.

CREATING MUSIC/SELECTING NOTES. More focus on users who mainly use Logic to create and refine their own ideas: A KC option for “Selected next/previous event” which plays full chords when going to the next/previous note. Additions of this kind of workflow would revolutionize how some users work - because it would help them make songs which are more original/innovative melodically/harmonically, and less ‘mass produced’.

CREATING MUSIC/TRANSPOSING: A new KC for transposing (a)single note(s) in a chord up or down (diatonically, as an option) - which plays all the other chord notes while transposing it - if the note is part of a chord.

CREATING MUSIC/ARRANGING. A new color coding option makes notes outside an instrument’s range gray in the Piano Roll and in Score. Great for amateurs and all who haven’t memorized instruments ranges.

CREATING MUSIC/ARRANGING. A key command for Select Next/Previous which plays all notes in the whole arrangement (from MIDI regions on all tracks). Some pro arrangers and composers may hear everything they need in their head without having to play back their ideas to check them often, but most people don’t.

CREATING MUSIC/MIDI: Things like junction tool editing in the MIDI editors, and steal some ideas from Flex too, and apply them to editing notes in the Piano Roll and Score.

CREATING MUSIC/ARTICULATIONS. Logic needs a fast and easy way to change articulations in the MIDI editors. This isn’t only about the score editor/scoring for strings etc - all instruments would be netter off if used with a good variation of articulations.


SCORE
POLYPHONY: Ability to hide rests, one by one, make score more poly-friendly without using poly staff styles. This will remove the need for using Polyphonic mode a lot - and is a lot easier to understand. Experienced pro users of the score part in Logic will always sort out the various mysteries of polyphonic mode, but this one, used together with “Independent Notes” will help amateurs (and many pro users) a lot. (Ideally, Logic should be able to transcribe polyphonic voices relatively correctly without need to switch between different staff styles!)

NOTE NAMES. Logic should be able to show note names inside the note heads when inserting (editing) them, or at least show flats and sharps in that process instead of showing the flats and sharps after the editing has found place.

RANGE. A way to automatically show when you place a note outside it’s instrument range (for orchestral music).



EDUCATION
Apple wants to more success in the education market, and need to do something specifically for teachers and students. There are probably more music/instrument teachers than sound engineers out there already - but the important part is the students: they’ll buy a product they already know when they’ll buy their first DAW. Re. students: A good start could is to offer piano fingering numbers above notes. Guitar players already have a fingering feature. Sometimes one needs to remember fingering for certain passages, but if one writes fingerings by hand or add fingering info as text objects, they won’t move if the notes are moved. Piano teachers need this a lot. The best piano players have very strong ‘automatic fingering’, but even Keith Jarrett practices fingerings when practicing Bach pieces. This is important for every keyboard player who occasionally plays something difficult.

IPAD/SCORE/EDUCATION. A new “iPad Link” could adds the ability to draw notes on an iPad with a Stylus and have them pop up in Score on the Mac. This will help people who know notation to enter notes the way the always did without diving too deep into Logic’s score features.??

WORKFLOW
FLEX MIDI: let's do everything with MIDI notes which we can do with notes inside audio event in Arrange.

MULTIREGION EDITING. Logic misses the ability to grab many automation nodes or fades across several tracks and edit them - without needing to group the tracks first.

TRACK FOLDERS (in addition to region folders). Should be self-explanatory.

IPAD/WORKFLOW. An old wish of mine: An “iPad Link” feature could also make a bluetooth linked iPad into a palette of Logic commands (with text/icon or both) at all times relevant to the focused window. This means that when Arrange is focused, the iPad will show, say, 24 icons relevant to the Arrange area only (+ some global commands). This will help newbies to automatically see and use the most important commands when any of Logic’s areas are focused.

GLOBAL/WORKFLOW. Auto-Hide “sidebars” - a mode where sidebars (like the Inspectors, or the various Lists) are optionally are hidden until the user moves the mouse onto the left edge of the screen. People who know a lot of key commands or use screen sets may not need this as much as a newbie with a small laptop. This is a simple way to get a wide arrange area and at the sam time see the Inspector when you need it. It should of course also possible, with a click, to lock the Inspector into an “Show Always” mode.

EDITING: Diatonic transposing (mouse based etc) in all editors.

ARRANGE/EDITING/WORKFLOW. Grab many regions and edit/add automation nodes in them without having to group them first. This will make life easier for GarageBand users who aren’t aware of the need to group objects, and certainly help preventing what can happen inside a newbie’s mind if some regions exist both as a part of folder and a Group.

AUDIO
AUDIO. All Auxes should have a way to remote control sends for objects which are sent through them. This will finally give people who aren’t used to auxes/subgroups what they want most of the time: namely that if they lower the fader on an aux this will also control all relevant sends, so they won’t get an altered wet/dry balance. (Implemented in LPX with the 'hidden' VCA behaviour that comes with Stacks.

POLYPHONIC AUDIO EDITING AND POLY AUDIO TO MIDI is the new(-ish) big thing. Polyphonic Audio-to-MIDI is important when composing on acoustic piano, or when figuring out what others have played or composed. This will allow users to improvise on piano and convert the audio region to MIDI afterwards. This feature would also be great if one wants to quickly check a passage from any song, note by note.

ARRANGE/AUDIO EDITING. Slices (area between transients) should behave as MIDI events. One should be able to grab them, move/copy them anywhere without needing to cut. This takes the confusion away from a lot of editing situations, because one wouldn’t need to work in several different areas/switch editors so much. Perfect for newbies and very useful for others.

FLEX. IMO Logic needs a A ReCycle kind of time stretching choice; a new Flex mode which is a “hybrid” between Slicing and Stretching. This algo would keep the transients in regions intact, but stretch the decays, and invisibly crossfade the two (like some 3rd part Reaper script apparent does well). This is great for people who aren’t so editing savvy, because it would combine the best of two worlds in one algorithm.

ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR 3rdPART MIXERS. Apple should create a standard all hardware manufacturers could follow, which would let us do anything we today need 3rd part mixer apps (from Apogee, MoTu, RME etc) to do. ??It shouldn't be necessary to learn a new mixer app if I buy a new audio interface.

LOOPS
SIMPLE LOOPS. A new set of sparse and subtle loops, which aren’t so identifiable that they cant’t be used in lots of songs. More focus on MIDI loops, so the users immediately can create their own loops or regions based on the sounds used in the factory loops. Multi-track loops (as CAF-files) would make it easy to extract only one of the loop ingredients, which ensures that the loop library is much more usable than traditional libraries of ‘compositional’ loops which often have too much identity/direction/signature to be used in more than one hit song. ??Even newbies would dislike being caught in basing their song on a factory loop (and yes, I know that there are some hits using factory loops, that that's the exception and not something to strive for anyway).

GENERAL
LOOKS. An updated design without all the pale, gray areas.

A TUTORIAL TOOL which lets newbies point at any area they want and get detailed information and help. (It works for certain areas, but isn't implemented for menu options and key commands)

MORE CORPORATE FOCUS ON LOGIC. Dear Apple, please go for making the best DAW out there, and not necessarily the biggest. I don’t know if Apple has as many competent developers as they need, but whatever the reason is for it now has been close to 4 years since the last major Logic upgrade: Please do something with it. Three years and 10 months is a lot of time in the digital domain... and unlike with FCPx, Logic has a number of rivals out there.

Btw, it is now possible to create fades on several regions at the same time, but it doesn't work for creating cross-fades on two tracks (they are created, but only one is placed correctly).
Old 17th July 2014
  #197
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

And another one. Sorry for bumping the old thread...

Yes, I know I just posted a long list earlier today of wishes for Logic 10 which haven't been implemented. :-) See the post just before this one. That was some of my own favourites. Many of them aren't in the following list, which is a slightly tweaked version of the compilation of wishes from many different Logic users, based on a compilation I made after the first circa 300 posts had been posted. Note that this is the old Logic 10 wish list, not the new Logic Pro 11 wish list. Poor Apple, it's 3200+ posts long.

I never had the energy to compile an updated list including the wishes from the last 90% of the posts, and I'm not being sorry for that. :-)

I have removed some wishes from the original compilation post: eg those I don't understand, things which are implemented in LPX and things which aren't relevant anymore or probably have been fixed. A lot of bugs have been fixed after the LPX release.

So - here's what's left from that compiled list from early 2009, including an updated version of some of wishes (to make them more relevant for Logic 11), but again, *not* including wishes from the last circa 2900 posts.

-----

Fast and easy export of ALL tracks including aux's, busses etc./export selected tracks only

A pan option for stereo tracks that is pan of each side, not balance, on the channel strip

Editors with multiple / selectable automation and hyper edit lanes/parameters below

Dedicated Drum Editor

Multi-mic (multi-track) channels (channel strips) / multitrack audio loops (recordings) as *one* file

Synth-like modulators (LFO etc) for automation

Scrub should maintain pitch of the track

Macro Key Commands

Independent tempos and time signatures per track

Groove Templates which are available for all projects

Spectral editing that lets you turn down specific frequencies in a specific time

Audiosuite style rendered effects /plugs per region

A simple humanize function (where downbeats would be loud/tight & in-between notes would be quieter and looser)

A controller smoothing tool to fix jagged lines/curves (or add smooth edits in the sample editor)

Menu grouping (for plug-ins); have everything listed as *effect type*.

Four point editing modes and zooming like Soundblade, Pyramix, Sequoia (elaborate?)

Mix window: Ability to choose which tracks I see (show/hide on an individual track basis) + what order they're in (drag 'n drop positioning).

Countoff (countin) that works correctly over tempo changes.

A phase button switch on the channel strip, instead of in a plugin.

A brush-tool to draw in a row of notes like cubase (for the sample editor too)

The dedicated piano-roll editor should show multiple regions like lower piano-roll editor does

Score: proper support for articulation control for all string libraries

Score: true global objects

Score: better automatic recognition of perfectly quantized triplets

Score: "magnetic objects/layout" (and 'optimize layout) a la Sibelius

Score: better *automatic* transcription of played material that includes polyphony, meaning that voices and MIDI channels could be separated

Easier selecting of multiple audio slices (more MIDI like behavior). Valid for copy/pasting and editing too

Improve the Marquee Tool, eg. add an option to snap to transient - as opposed to snap to bar grid - when marking an area

Make Logic’s mixer behave like a normal, digital mixer, with *all* routing (etc) capabilities built in (no need for extra mixer software)

User definable "Cues" for movie work (group a bunch of objects, define them as a "Cue" and have them follow their own, unique time line / region grouping. See Tabs in Arrange

An Full Screen mode option - where sidebars (bin, event list, notes/Inspector/Tool Bar/Transport) pops up when the mouse touches the edge of the screen

Allow junction-tool use, fade editing and automation editing on multiple tracks without having to assign channel strips to a group first

Support for *global* (for all projects) preset name banks for external MIDI instruments

Two-Key key commands which eg. would let us type NL for "nudge left"

Auto-colorize options on markers, tracks, takes etc (which is on by default?)

An X-or solo mode (now option-click again does it, I want to be able to make it default, and shift-click to latch, like PT) (elaborate?)

Strip silence window should remember my settings and be get zoom and scrolling, or become an Arrange feature.

When copying a mono plugin to a stereo track it should not make that track mono, it should make the plugin stereo

More consistent undo support (eg. allow undo for stupid fader moves)

A Pro Tools compatible transport mode, where the playhead follows edit selection, etc. (Still needed?)

It shouldn't be necessary to group multiple tracks to be able to use the fade tool or junction tool - or edit automation - on them

A "freeze track to..." plug in: When you freeze a track it should only freeze up to that plugin - that way you can use eq's etc after the plugin without unfreezing the track.

An option that shows the entire mixer on screen, shrunk appropriately, maybe missing less important info, but still with meters and basic functions, maybe with a "focus" channel strip on the side for details

Fades on Groups (elaborate?)

Import standard Pro Tools sessions

A single track type should be able to containing both MIDI & audio

The ability to consolidate tracks like in Pro Tools (elaborate?)

Improve the automatic interpretation of chord symbols (would of course need a (meaning: reintroduction the chord track!!)

Real Book style options for Chord Symbols, eg. C7 followed by (#9) and (b13) above each other (see above)

Ability to mark presets as Favorites

Allow *Arrange* zooming key commands even when Mixer is the focused window

A loop chopper/sampler a bit like Dr. Rex or Phatmatik Pro (still relevant?)

32-bit audio file (WAV) support

A plug in that can trigger drum sounds in real time, like Sound Replacer

Better quality when time-stretching

Much better widening plug

Properly implemented VCA/VCA style automation (needs elaboration)

Tie region START to the previous region rather than Tie region end to the next region (Is that implemented in LPX?)

A "Do" button on the Key Commands window would make it easy to execute a command without assigning it to a key first

Allow all Sample Editor (and Flex Pitch and Time) functions to happen directly in the arrange window.

An input-level meter that is taller than the 300 px we have at the moment

Realistic legato phrases on the strings on EXS24, cool portamento too

Improve the Sample Editor (details?)

The ability to select and move more than one track at a time in the mixer as well (double?)

Multiple Automation takes

Automation Trim (details?)

Less confusing track naming. LPX update: reintroduce the track name function without needing a 'secret' workaround, and re-introduce the option to allow track names to always be shown in column 2 in the track list

Volume envelopes on regions (please elaborate)

Fewer clicks needed to get whatever you want to do done (eg rename instrument names directly in score)

Consolidate the Hyperdraw and automation confusion

Bugfix for Multi-channel Virtual Instruments (please elaborate)

Tape saturation simulation

Tabs at the top to switch between pages in plug-in windows (and in Arrange ;-) ?)

The (plugin) UIs should be vector graphics and scale with increased resolution

SSL/API/NEVE/1176/LA2A/LA3A/Pultec/Fairchild Emulations

Ability to put sends (aux) anywhere in the channel strip chain, also between inserts

The ability to freeze busses in an easy way

If Logic doesn't find a file, it shouldn't just use another file with the same name (especially without a warning - this happens if only one file with that name exists,and in LPX the warning has gone)

MIDI routing just like audio routing: choose an input just like you can choose an output for an external instrument track.

Something akin to VST Expressions

Definitive multi-core support

A better Convolution Verb (in which way?)

"Chunks" a la DP (tabs in arrange?), better music-to-picture features

Real-time pitch shifting, like in Ableton Live (select a region, turn the wheel up + __ semitones, turn it down - ____ semitones, etc.).

(Non-destructive) reverse of arrange regions (without affecting the original file)

Simplify the interface of some of the VI (EXS, Ultrabeat, Sculpture, etc.), way too bloated and spaceship looking.

------

There may still be some doubles in there + a few which aren't needed anymore. Can you spot them?
Old 18th July 2014
  #198
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post


Btw, it is now possible to create fades on several regions at the same time, but it doesn't work for creating cross-fades on two tracks (they are created, but only one is placed correctly).
I mentioned in another post that this strange behavior is present using Fade Click Zones, but crossfades works fine on multiple regions (separate tracks) using the fade tool on my system. Elaborate if I'm not understanding.
Old 19th July 2014
  #199
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
I mentioned in another post that this strange behavior is present using Fade Click Zones, but crossfades works fine on multiple regions (separate tracks) using the fade tool on my system. Elaborate if I'm not understanding.
I never use the Fade Tool or Fade Tool click zones, but using the solution which IMHO clearly is the easiest/best one (using Shift and Control with the pointer tool) results in various weird things, like changing the length of a crossfade resulting in switching to another crossfade curve type on another pair of selected regions.
Old 19th July 2014
  #200
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Another idea: Change "Shift Marquee Selection Left" so it also looks at beat/bar lines (or make separate KC)

Sometimes we want to change a selection to start from a beat/bar line, other times we want to change so it is aligned with a transient or MIDI note. If one single key command could do this, there would be fewer KCs to remember.

In other words: If I use "Select First, or Shift Marquee Selection Left" or "Select Last, or Shift Marquee Selection Right", the KC would, with the suggested improvement, change the selection by both taking MIDI notes/transients into consideration (which it already does), but also –if it "sees" a beat/bar line: these would also be 'respected' the same way notes/transients are.

Or –*maybe this key command rather should be added as a separate command rather than changing the existing one.
Old 19th July 2014
  #201
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Here's a relatively minor one:

If only a part of a region is Marquee’d, "Slice at Transient Markers" should only slice the material within the Marquee'd area. Why? Because sometimes, we don't want to Slice more than a small section within a long region into separate regions.
Old 19th July 2014
  #202
Lives for gear
 
microwave's Avatar
The possibility of working with "Chunks", like Digital Performer.
Old 19th July 2014
  #203
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
The possibility of working with "Chunks", like Digital Performer.
I want something Chunk-like as well, but feel that Tabs in Arrange possibly may be the best way to do it, and that a new Global Track for cues/chunks only, where each cue has it's own set of tempo and time signature (etc) changes possibly could be even better. Can you explain how Chunks work in DP, in a less confusing way than MoTu does? :-)

If I have a short movie with three cues, and want to move Cue#2 ten seconds to the right, can I do that without any headaches, and without affecting any bar lines, tempo, time signatures etc in Cue a and 3 - and without a cluttered UI? Being able to work at transitions between two cues (where one can see and edit both of them) is essential.
Old 19th July 2014
  #204
Lives for gear
 
microwave's Avatar
Yes, you can totally do that and for us people working in film music its invaluable. You can have instruments that are shared by the different Chunks so that you don't waste CPU power needlessly.
I don't know how old you are, but if you've ever worked on Notator on the Atari back in the way back when, its a similar concept to having different cues and and an arrange window where they would be assembled together.
The horizontal timeline is an idea introduced by Steinberg in the mid-nineties (and quickly copied by everyone), at the height of the dance music craze. If one's idea of writing a piece of music is getting a groove going and letting it run forever, it's perfect. But for those of us who might want to assemble several cues with different tempi and key signatures over a movie - or just want the freedom to write a piece that starts in 6/8 @ 96bpm, changes to 7/8 at bar 34, has another tempo change and goes to 4/4 at bar 52 etc. the horizontal timeline is just a hindrance. So please Apple, give us Logic Chunks!
Old 19th July 2014
  #205
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

I'm vintage, so yes - I've used Notator and it's Pattern function.

AS long as there would be a solution for editing multiple (at least two) chunks/cues, it would be a step forward.

I believe that a horizontal implementation of chunks/cues, where they appeared as a new global track, and a horizontal split screen option in Arrange, where one could look at (and edit), the transition between two cues at the same time, would be the best solution.

Or maybe that region folders (or track folders, in other words stacks) could be defined as cues, and therefore have unique tempo map a time signature set.

Or, the arrange tabs could appear the left arrange border. When shift clicking on, say, two tabs, they would all appear in Arrange with a split-screen kind of border in between them.

Can you post a screenshot of how the chunks are shown currently in DP?
Old 19th July 2014
  #206
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
I never use the Fade Tool or Fade Tool click zones, but using the solution which IMHO clearly is the easiest/best one (using Shift and Control with the pointer tool) results in various weird things, like changing the length of a crossfade resulting in switching to another crossfade curve type on another pair of selected regions.
Hmmm Shift Control works fine here on multiple tracks. I wonder if it's a system variable where the same weirdness happens to me with Fade Click Zones happens to you with Shift Control?

Just to add to the wish list: I would like a way to put several regions of a track "in a container" without merging them (Pro Tools' Region feature and Cubase has this as well).
Old 19th July 2014
  #207
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
Hmmm Shift Control works fine here on multiple tracks. I wonder if it's a system variable where the same weirdness happens to me with Fade Click Zones happens to you with Shift Control?
Yes it works, but if I have four regions on two tracks, and crosse fade them (2 + 2) using that method without the crossfade being offset. Anyway, it's probably a bug more than a feeaure request.

Quote:
Just to add to the wish list: I would like a way to put several regions of a track "in a container" without merging them (Pro Tools' Region feature and Cubase has this as well).
Grouping regions sounds good, but what you describe almost sounds like region folders?
Old 20th July 2014
  #208
Lives for gear
 
A Fak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Actually I want this already to Logic Pro X 10.0.8. I would like to choose multiple channel strips at once and choose one icon for all those. Now I have to do the same for all the channel strips individually. For example lets say that I want to use a picture of female singer for all the female vocal parts. Now I have to do it individually for all the channel strips.
It definitely needs to be streamlined but a work around is to do it in the environment window. You can highlight as many tracks as you want and change the icon for all of them.
Old 20th July 2014
  #209
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post

Grouping regions sounds good, but what you describe almost sounds like region folders?
Yes! Thanks for reminding me. I would like to have the gain work on the folder and relatively change volumes of the packed regions. Also, have quantize and transpose work on the entire folder as well for Flex audio tracks (the parameters are there but seem to have no affect via the folder).
Old 20th July 2014
  #210
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
Yes! Thanks for reminding me. I would like to have the gain work on the folder and relatively change volumes of the packed regions. Also, have quantize and transpose work on the entire folder as well for Flex audio tracks (the parameters are there but seem to have no affect via the folder).
'Stacks' is the closest you get now, with volume, solo, mute and record enable functions for all the tracks/regions involved. You need to select all the tracks in a stack to adjust their transpose and quantise values. But you probably know this already.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump