The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

I'd like Apple to fix the bug where sometimes replaces a missing file with another file: Logic picks another file if a file is missing and it finds another (only one) file with the same name - *without* telling you that it has chosen a completely different file. To me, that's the most major of all Logic bugs, and it has been around for years. I did send feedback to Apple about it in 2008.

This bug may, at some point, become an issue in projects if they contain an audio file with a name an audio file name which isn't unique to that project –*and this happens a lot.
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Bounce in place with I/O object in real time !
Old 19th May 2014
Gear Head

When quick swipe comping at high zoom, the waveforms don't become cartoon logs, and wiggle back and forth as you move the quick swipe tool.

And in general, more accurate waveforms in the Arrange View, not stair stepped jaggies. Zoomed waveform should look the same in the Arrange View and in the Sample Editor.
Old 24th May 2014
Gear Nut

IMO -

Color palette customization
A new sampler
Ability to reverse audio directly instead of using the editor
Multiple lanes in piano roll
A mod matrix for Retro Synth
Sculpture and Ultrabeat 2.0 (not that important though)
A simpler way to fade in/out
Better CPU core utilization.
The horizontal slider gets in the way of mixer track names sometimes which is annoying. That should be fixed too.
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant View Post
IMO -

A simpler way to fade in/out
Simpler than ctrl+shift+click drag???
I don't see how it could be any simpler.
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

Well you can assign a shortcut to fade tool and its easier than ctrl-shift-drag but I'm talking about something like PT or Reaper
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well you can assign a shortcut to fade tool and its easier than ctrl-shift-drag but I'm talking about something like PT or Reaper
Why not use the Fade Tool click zones?
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

^ but that means we cant use the loop tool. or am i doing it wrong ?
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
^ but that means we cant use the loop tool. or am i doing it wrong ?
Looping still works. Point the cursor at the middle of the right side of the audio region and it turns into the loop tool.Fade Tool Click Zones don't interrupt this behavior. Is that what you mean?
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

Yes !
but i just tried and i dont get the loop tool. Also the fade tool only shows Fade in but no fade out. Maybe its got to do with my installation
Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes !
but i just tried and i dont get the loop tool. Also the fade tool only shows Fade in but no fade out. Maybe its got to do with my installation
Yes something is definitely wrong. It should work as described. What did you actually try? I'm talking about a preference setting that turns the Pointer Tool into the Fade Tool contextually. You have to start out with the Pointer Tool for it to work.
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

Exactly. And in adjacent regions at the top you get the crossfades and at the middle you get the junction tool.
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
Exactly. And in adjacent regions at the top you get the crossfades and at the middle you get the junction tool.
...and while you're at it, engage the Marquee Clicks Zones. Enabling both Click Zones will make the Pointer behave very similar to Pro Tools' Smart Tool...only smarter.
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

Note names in the Piano Roll.

An overdub function for audio (for live looping).
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Note names in the Piano Roll.

An overdub function for audio (for live looping).
I'd love that too.
Old 27th May 2014
Lives for gear

Idea: "Save selection as…" and Idea Pool:

If only some regions are selected in a project, "Save selection as…" should create a new project file with these regions only (and their audio files, as an option).

A separate area or window should let the user define which files that should be included (EXS-samples, EXS and other presets, Freeze files etc), but other than that, this feature should IMHO be implemented in an as simple way as possible. For instance, one could simply save the project with automation, and rather let the receiver/user of the resulting project file remove or disable automation if he wants to.

This feature could be used to save only a part of a project, like eg. the drum part, or some random ideas which one may want to import into another song later.

Of course: a possible future implementation of an multi track "Idea bank" or "Idea hub" in Logic would to some degree, eliminate the need for saving parts of a project as a separate project... Sibelius has had it for some time: Sibelius 5 - The Ideas Hub

http://www.midnightmusic.com.au/wp-c...lius-Ideas.pdf

I'd like to see both features in Logic.
Old 28th May 2014
Lives for gear

Suggestion: An additional Full Screen mode with sidebars popping up when the mouse touches the edge of the screen - great for portable Macs and tablet/hybrid Macs (if/when they arrive). This way, the Inspector or eg. the Event List could be invisible until I move the mouse to the right or left edge.

It would also be great if one could place two half-size sidebars on top of each other in the right margin, like eg. the Event List at the top and eg. the Notes area below it.
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Nut

It would make my day if there was a preference to make Latch mode write to the beginning and end of a song once touched.
Old 28th May 2014
Gear Addict

Someone may have suggested this, but I think it would be cool if it were possible to preview excerpts from projects while browsing through the project list. It would help me decide which project I most feel like working on.
Old 29th May 2014
Gear Maniac

The ability to route channels to multiple groups, like in pro tools..
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by palebluedot View Post
The ability to route channels to multiple groups, like in pro tools..
You can assign a channel strip to multiple groups already by clicking on the group area with Shift.

But - does anyone know how to get several subgroups (VCA groups, not normal groups) in Logic? It seems I can create only one, and it is called both Sub 1 and Sub 2 (see image).
Attached Thumbnails
Logic 11 - what do you want?-screen-shot-2014-05-30-05.41.47.png  
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Wish: something like this in Logic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Its completely integrated with Cubase, there's no extra mixer or control panel to worry about, you can adjust the high pass filters, phantom power, phase etc on the mic pre's from Cubase. Add FX for monitoring or have them print their sound.

I can drop a singer in on a complete maxed out mix with a lovely rev 7 reverb for monitoring with zero latency while my project runs at 1024 sample buffer for example.

The DSP mixer and FX are not portable but are exclusive to the hardware unit.

If you think about it though the time you need a zero latency scenario is ONLY when tracking so I don't see this as an issue. For me the benefits of an HD system is exactly the one I described above: Dropping a singer in on a heavy, completed mix with a nice reverb for monitoring with zero latency, and with the Steinberg/Yamaha hardware/software that's exactly what you get.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Certainly sounds like it's a decent system - certainly closer than anything else I've heard of from other systems.

In other words, a system which makes Logic behave as it was a DSP based DAW, in the traditional sense, without being it.

It would be great if Apple could produce some kind of protocol which would let RME, MoTu, Apogee and other makers of audio interfaces be controlled the same way. This includes routing an incoming signal directly to an output (for practically no latency) without having to deal with programs like Maestro, CueMix or the Fireface Mixer.

This would mean that one both would be able to assign onboard DSP EFX in interfaces to a track, when recording, directly from Logic – and also control everything else usually done in separate mixer apps directly from Logic's own mixer. One of many positive side effects of this would be that one wouldn't have to learn to use a new application when switching to a different audio interface.
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

He's probably talking about a Yamaha audio interface. Cubase doesn't do that with say RME or any other brand. It only does it with that particular interface because Yamaha owns Steinberg.
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
He's probably talking about a Yamaha audio interface. Cubase doesn't do that with say RME or any other brand. It only does it with that particular interface because Yamaha owns Steinberg.
That's possible. Nevertheless, I think Apple should implement a way to control audio interfaces, direct routing etc from within Logic, and a protocol which the manufacturers can support. This would be the main thing which could be done to please users who are used to DSP based Pro Tools hardware - and also be very useful for all those who have never used DSP based DAWs. It certainly is on my Top 10 list over things I'd like to see in Logic 11.

Here's what was planned for Studio One (in 2009):
Presonus Studio One - YouTube
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

True but again Pro Tools only does it with the hardware that Avid makes the same way that Steinberg only does it with the hardware that Yamaha makes. I agree it would be great but the market is extremely fragmented and I doubt it will happen anytime soon. One company I'd love they'd get on board with would be UA. It would be great to have such a feature with an Apollo interface and not have to worry about the Apollo console.
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
True but again Pro Tools only does it with the hardware that Avid makes the same way that Steinberg only does it with the hardware that Yamaha makes.
Sure. But if someone like Apple would make a protocol for real time control of mixer parameters, it would be a lot easier.

Quote:
I doubt it will happen anytime soon.
We're already behind "soon", it's an old wish. :-) But many of the things DAWs do today are things we didn't even think of as possible some years ago, so I don't think what we think can be done or can be done soon should stop us from wanting it (or Apple from doing it). :-) Apple isn't even doing it with Apogee, which I believe they are more or less in bed with.

Another wish: Fix the issue with the same key command (eg. Show Tool Menu + 5) does different things in different windows. It doesn't make sense that one single key command does three different things in three different windows (e.g. opens the Zoom Tool in the Step editor, the Layout Tool in the Score Editor and the Scissors tool in the Piano Roll, when better and simpler solutions are possible. (Example: the key command for Show Tool Menu (formerly: Escape) and the character Z should open the Zoom tool in all windows which has a Zoom tool – and so forth.

The current solution makes it almost impossible to remember all these combinations.

It could have been this easy:

• Glue (Esc + G)
• Solo: (Esc + S)
• Zoom: (Esc + Z)
• Quantize: (Esc + Q)
• Velocity: (Esc + V)
• Layout: (Esc + L)
• Resize: (Esc +R)
• Camera: (Esc + C)
• Hand: (Esc + H)
• Finger: (Esc + F)
• Automation Curve: (Esc + A)

I know Escape isn't the default key command for the Tool Palette anymore, but I don't remember what it is since I changed it back to Escape, since it's placed at a faster-to-find position.
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can assign a channel strip to multiple groups already by clicking on the group area with Shift.

But - does anyone know how to get several subgroups (VCA groups, not normal groups) in Logic? It seems I can create only one, and it is called both Sub 1 and Sub 2 (see image).
You sir have made my day...thank you. Can't believe I didn't know that. I've actually mixed certain projects in PT because I didn't know that

That's interesting re the VCA's - how do you create those two in the first place? do they handle like proper PT style VCA's. I guess you could do the track stack folder mode, but I'm not sure if they behave properly as VCA's? I've had mixed results with them, but that could be driver error
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by palebluedot View Post
That's interesting re the VCA's - how do you create those two in the first place?
You go to what now, erratically, is called the MIDI Environment window and select New>Channel Strip>Master. That will give you a submaster (unless you have removed the main Master). You can call it eg Drums if you wish.

Now, go to a regular Channel Strip, where you usually assign outputs, and assign it to Sub 1 (Drums).

And to answer my own question above (I had forgotten) - once you have assigned something to Sub 1, Logic will give you Sub 2 next time you create a new master.

This is all implemented in a very simple (and somewhat hidden) way. If they would call that menu option "Master/Submaster" things would already become more obvious. To call the Environment Environment and not MIDI Environment would help as well, and/or if one could create submasters from the Mixer itself.

I like simple, Zen-ish implementations, but this is almost too simple - and maybe not fully implemented yet. The idea behind this submaster object, I guess, is to offer VCA-functionality which doesn't require use of the Stack feature.

Re. how it compares with PT - give it a try... There are now 10-15 ways to adjust volume in Logic, and that may actually be a very good idea, but I'm sure things could be both be improved and simplified.

This feature isn't called "VCA Group", because it's not involving voltage control, I guess. For that reason, it's also a somewhat hidden feature for those who are familiar with what VCA groups do. But "Submaster" is probably a more accurate description.
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Maniac

Fantastic, thanks for that.. looking forward to trying this out later
Old 30th May 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Wish: something like this in Logic:

In other words, a system which makes Logic behave as it was a DSP based DAW, in the traditional sense, without being it.

It would be great if Apple could produce some kind of protocol which would let RME, MoTu, Apogee and other makers of audio interfaces be controlled the same way. This includes routing an incoming signal directly to an output (for practically no latency) without having to deal with programs like Maestro, CueMix or the Fireface Mixer.

This would mean that one both would be able to assign onboard DSP EFX in interfaces to a track, when recording, directly from Logic – and also control everything else usually done in separate mixer apps directly from Logic's own mixer. One of many positive side effects of this would be that one wouldn't have to learn to use a new application when switching to a different audio interface.
Quote:
That's possible. Nevertheless, I think Apple should implement a way to control audio interfaces, direct routing etc from within Logic, and a protocol which the manufacturers can support. This would be the main thing which could be done to please users who are used to DSP based Pro Tools hardware - and also be very useful for all those who have never used DSP based DAWs. It certainly is on my Top 10 list over things I'd like to see in Logic 11.

Here's what was planned for Studio One (in 2009):
Presonus Studio One - YouTube
Quote:
What you guys are describing sure sounds alot like ASIO Direct Monitoring that Steinberg gave to world for free but hardware and DAW manufacturers mostly ignored. Properly implemented, any DAW could control any supporting hardware for "zero latency" and routing without opening a separate control app. If an interface had built-in DSP than all the better. I use to do this with my Korg Oasys PCI card and Cubase but it was so poorly implemented to the point that it was faster to use the Oasys app.Didn't Logic directly control Apogee interfaces without Maestro at one time?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search