The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th April 2014
  #61
Lives for gear
 

A darker GUI. Logic X is much too bright and colourful.
Old 6th April 2014
  #62
Lives for gear
 
TinderArts's Avatar
 

Apple should buy MAGIX and incorporate -

Object based editing
ability to freeze any aspect of the audio path
simple object gain and crossfade controls
better wave form display
zoom in/out from timeline (pull up/down to zoom)
add features found in Independence to EXS 24

....and many more things I miss from Samplitude/Sequoia, especially now that mac versions of SAM/SEQ are never going to happen.
Old 6th April 2014
  #63
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Apple should buy MAGIX and incorporate -

Object based editing
What is Magix offering in terms of object based editing which Apple doesn't?


Quote:
simple object gain and crossfade controls
Apart from placing a Gain icon inside each and every region, what kind of improvements do you want to see?

Quote:
better wave form display
What's wrong with the current one, except for the vertical zoom problems?

Quote:
zoom in/out from timeline (pull up/down to zoom)
Has been in Logic for years, in LPX you need to do it in a slightly different way…

Quote:
add features found in Independence to EXS 24
Examples?
Old 6th April 2014
  #64
Lives for gear
A new owner.
Old 6th April 2014
  #65
Gear Addict
 

a drum machine like NI battery, reason, FL or Ableton?
simple and clean

an LA2a, fairchild, and 33609 style compressor/limiter
a parametric EQ with compressors on each band
graphic EQ
neve an API style EQs

more ES2 and EXS24 patches.
Old 6th April 2014
  #66
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
A new owner.
LOL!! Good one. But I wonder who could/would want to buy it. How much is a product like LP worth? Has it ever been known how much Yamaha paid for Steinberg, or Roland paid for Cakewalk(is it public info)? Really wonder how much these DAWs are worth on the market?

KA
Old 6th April 2014
  #67
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsam View Post
A darker GUI. Logic X is much too bright and colourful.
Yea jet black would be awesome!
Old 6th April 2014
  #68
Gear Addict
Quote:
What is Magix offering in terms of object based editing which Apple doesn't?
Samplitude]Samplitude Pro X: The Object Editor Part 1 - An Overview - YouTube

Quote:
better wave form display
I think he means comparasonics waveform colors:



Comparisonics Audio Search & Waveform Display

Regards
Kraznet
Old 6th April 2014
  #69
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

The object editor is cool but the waveforms are horrible. At least to me they are.
Old 6th April 2014
  #70
Gear Addict
Quote:
the waveforms are horrible. At least to me they are.
Personally I can't live without them. Of course they are an option in Samplitude.
Old 6th April 2014
  #71
Gear Addict
Not forgetting Spectral waveform view:

Samplitude Pro X Spectral View Introduction - YouTube
Old 6th April 2014
  #72
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
+1
a friendly raccoon to share my popcorn.
Old 6th April 2014
  #73
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
Not forgetting Spectral waveform view:

Samplitude Pro X Spectral View Introduction - YouTube
Logic already has multimeter that does the same thing.
Old 6th April 2014
  #74
Gear Addict
I'm talking about the spectral waveform view not the metering.

Old 6th April 2014
  #75
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
I'm talking about the spectral waveform view not the metering.

That's cool man!
Old 7th April 2014
  #76
Gear Addict
 

adding the redmatica software would be great.
Old 7th April 2014
  #77
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
adding the redmatica software would be great.
it's been a long while since they acquired that company. Apple is to slow in the tooth for Logic to be my main daw.

Logic 11 - what do I want? Faster development...
Old 7th April 2014
  #78
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
I'm talking about the spectral waveform view not the metering.

Ok. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 7th April 2014
  #79
Lives for gear
 
TinderArts's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
What is Magix offering in terms of object based editing which Apple doesn't?
Everything. It is what has made Samplitude and Sequoia so powerful for more than a decade. What kind of object based editing can Logic do? AFAIK, Loic doesn't do anything. Inserting a compressor on a track in Logic requires processing power during the entire length of the song. The closest I've seen to "objects" in Logic are regions. If I have missed how to insert multiple non destructive audio effects in an individual audio region, please show me how. I'd be extremely thankful.

Objects in MAGIX products only use processing when the object is actively playing. This isn't a big an issue now as it was ten years ago but it still is very helpful. Add to that the object editor's freezing/unfreezing strength and you can get much more out of a UAD system as well as other high CPU hit plugs.

Here are some of the things that MAGIX can do in SAM/SEQ -

Object based editing in SAM/SEQ allows for multiple plugins (third party as well as MAGIX plugs that are internal to objects. Effects such as reverbs can be set to play out beyond the object's end.

Multiple aux sends from objects.

Elaborate crossfade types for each object with different choices available for fade in and fade out.

Stereo or surround panning per object. Crossfading between objects makes the pans move as smoothly as your crossfade.

Gain change per object.

Elastic Audio (complex tuning) per object.

Freeze available per object (excepting aux sends).

The ability to copy and paste object settings -
For example - take a snare track from a live performance. Slice and object for hard snare hits and another for sidesticks. If the drummer is weak on the side sticks you can change gain, add compression, change EQ, send to a different reverb and copy the result. Slice the rest of the sidestick sections and paste the object settings. Changes to the sidestick reverb return will reflect all objects for the side stick. You can slice a big snare hit and add a send to a big verb if the song needs it. It is easy to edit the areas where these ojbejt edits happen.

You can group multiple objects to cut and paste for rearranging a complex tune.

ALL OF THIS WITHOUT AUTOMATION.

You can also use automation inside of objects that will easily move with and copy of an individual object or huge group of objects.

I'll reply to some of the other questions that you posted soon.

FYI - I use Sequoia for most all of my remote/live recording as well as mixing and post production projects. I love Logic for composing (going back to the Notator days) and also use Cubase and Live for composing as well. I have worked wirh emagic as well as Synthax US (the former US distributor for MAGIX and YellowTools) in the past. There are things I love about both products and from and end user viewpoint I'd love to have a single tool that merges the best of all of these products.
Old 7th April 2014
  #80
Lives for gear
 
TinderArts's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post

I think he means comparasonics waveform colors:

Regards
Kraznet
Exactly!

Add to that the ease of zooming down to the sample level visually.

Thanks for all of the tutorials that you've done over the years for Samplitude. Great work.
Old 7th April 2014
  #81
Lives for gear
 
TinderArts's Avatar
 

SAM/SEQ has done a very good job with their spectral editing tools. The association that MAGIX has had with Algoritmix and the product Renovator is great. I never imagined that MAGIX would/could take the spectral display down to the track level. Aside from Renovator and MAGIX, spectral editing seems to have been some form of voodoo until iZotope did their take with RX.

It is a great tool for so many things.
Old 7th April 2014
  #82
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

As I'm not a Sequoia user I'm not familiar with most of what you wrote here and it does seem interesting indeed. Some things however Logic already has though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post

Objects in MAGIX products only use processing when the object is actively playing. This isn't a big an issue now as it was ten years ago but it still is very helpful. Add to that the object editor's freezing/unfreezing strength and you can get much more out of a UAD system as well as other high CPU hit plugs.
What you call objects in Magix are regions in Logic. Objects in Logic are used in the environment for configuration.
It's true you can't freeze regions in Logic but you can freeze tracks. I use that all the time to release DSP power from my UAD2.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Elaborate crossfade types for each object with different choices available for fade in and fade out.
How is that different from the fade and crossfade settings in the region parameter box in Logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Gain change per object.
That's available in the region parameter box too. I'd like to see clip gain automation though. That's the one thing that's missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Elastic Audio (complex tuning) per object.
There's flex pitch. It doesn't have the harmonizer that Sequoia has but the rest of the functions are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
The ability to copy and paste object settings -
For example - take a snare track from a live performance. Slice and object for hard snare hits and another for sidesticks. If the drummer is weak on the side sticks you can change gain, add compression, change EQ, send to a different reverb and copy the result. Slice the rest of the sidestick sections and paste the object settings. Changes to the sidestick reverb return will reflect all objects for the side stick. You can slice a big snare hit and add a send to a big verb if the song needs it. It is easy to edit the areas where these ojbejt edits happen.
It does look like an interesting feature. I would separate the sidesticks and snare into 2 different tracks myself but I can understand your point.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
You can also use automation inside of objects that will easily move with and copy of an individual object or huge group of objects.
Logic has 2 types of automation. Track automaton and region automation. Therefore the same can be accomplished.
Old 7th April 2014
  #83
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Aside from Renovator and MAGIX, spectral editing seems to have been some form of voodoo until iZotope did their take with RX.

It is a great tool for so many things.
Couldn't agree more. Spectral editing saved my ass more times than I can remember.
Old 10th April 2014
  #84
Lives for gear
 
timtoonz's Avatar
I want Logic 11 to have some of the user-friendly features that L9 had…

- custom icons (it should've gotten EASIER to add them, like drag and drop, not HARDER like hack into the resources folder)

- custom user colour palettes

- bring back the 'link/unlink view' ability for windows.

- talkback, monitor section, SMPTE lock tempo events, mixer snapshots, proper MIDI control of multi-timbral instruments, blah blah blah blah blah.

- change one of the drummer's names to Binky.

They're never gonna do any of these things. Except maybe the last one.
Old 10th April 2014
  #85
Lives for gear
 
TinderArts's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
What you call objects in Magix are regions in Logic. Objects in Logic are used in the environment for configuration.
It's true you can't freeze regions in Logic but you can freeze tracks. I use that all the time to release DSP power from my UAD2.
Yes, regions are the closest thing that Logic has compared to

You can't assign plugins per region or copy and paste the region settings to a different region (with different audio files).

When you freeze a track in Logic it makes it much more difficult to do edits if needed. The other downside to the use of plugin in Logic is that they are used on the track and pull processing power away even when audio isn't active on a track. Objects pull processing only when the object plays and release the resources once an object is done playing.

This allows for a great improvement in processing power between the two DAWs.

I'd love to see these features make their way to the next version of Logic.
Old 13th April 2014
  #86
TNM
Lives for gear
Funny, not even thinking about XI yet.. let's get X right first.. and also be realistic.. X is here probably for the next 2 years at least.
Old 13th April 2014
  #87
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
The other downside to the use of plugin in Logic is that they are used on the track and pull processing power away even when audio isn't active on a track.
That's not true. Logic ever since V5 if I'm not mistaken doesn't pull CPU processing when there's no audio region playing in a track. The only exception is when effects like reverb or delay keep on delivering audio after the region ends. You can clearly see that when looking at the CPU Meter while the project plays. When more content is being played there will be more strain on the CPU and with less the burden will be lower.

Edit: that's something that Pro Tools only with V11 has been able to do on the native plug-ins at least.
Old 13th April 2014
  #88
Lives for gear
 

God Phas3d let people speak you're plucking my nerves! You're in every Logic thread on every page multiple times! Goodness man give it a rest!!!!!!
Old 13th April 2014
  #89
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
God Phas3d let people speak you're plucking my nerves! You're in every Logic thread on every page multiple times! Goodness man give it a rest!!!!!!
At least I bring some clarification to certain issues. Unlike you. No need to stalk me, man. If you have anything to add to this discussion please do so. If you don't I don't see the point in writing anything.
Old 13th April 2014
  #90
Lives for gear
 

All you say are false things to protect Logic. Absolutely no faith in your post, credibility is loss...

Logic has not has the no audio passing thru plugin turn off feature since version 5. Logic wasn't even multi threaded yet.

Stop posting lies man, let other people post, stop protect Logic EVERY LOGIC THREAD. At least you had help from 3 other people, but LATELY its been only you lately, KNOCK IT OFF PLEASE!!!!

I've posted videos about Logic's crappy audio engine that you argued with me about.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump