The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th March 2014
  #31
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

I guess everyone is so happy with Logic X that they don't want anything new for 11.
Old 16th March 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

It would be easy to fill this current thread with suggestions from this old, 3200+ posts long thread; ideas and wishes which aren't in LPX.

Here's a post from that thread from one who should be very happy with LPX:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8485308-post2642.html

And here's one from someone who is not so happy:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9061716-post3015.html
Old 17th March 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

I remember reading your post. I'm mostly happy with workflow improvements, stack folders,FlexPitch (even though it still needs work) and smart controls. Still I'd like most of the things I pointed out would have been addressed.
Old 17th March 2014
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
Bug fixes for any of the L9 bugs that still haven't been fixed.
Seriously... GUI bugs for days. And please less Garagebandy!
Old 19th March 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Just click the expert features. Also I removed the pan from the track header. The volume slider is quite nice and also provides some form of metering in the project window to all the tracks.
Old 19th March 2014
  #36
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerico12 View Post
And please less Garagebandy!
24 Inventions That Changed Music Pictures - GarageBand 2004 | Rolling Stone

Some nice features which have actually been implemented in GB before Logic got them. Personally, I think LPX's slightly more "garagebandy" look looks better (except the lack of contrast in some areas) than L9's look - but I don't like what some people may describe as 'dumbing down' Logic: that Apple in some areas has removed the option to do things the way we want them to and instead insisted on solutions which may be easier to understand for newbies but less ideal if one wants some in-depth editing done, or if one already has some experience with Logic.

Here are some ideas for Logic 11 (which I don't think I already been implemented) from the "Logic 10 - what do you want?"-thread), in random order:

1) Select by slices, not by grid (when using the Marquee over Flex'ed regions).
On regions with Flex enabled, Marquee should have a 'special behaviour', at least as an option: always select material on a slice by slice basis (instead of by the the bar/beat grid).

When I'm working on a sliced region in Flex mode, and use the Marquee tool, I usually want Logic to select whole slices.

It would be a great time saver if the Marquee tool - when dragging it over a flex-enabled region - would first select one full slice (slice, as in the area between two transient markers), then two slices, then three slices etc.

There may of course be downsides to this behaviour which I haven't thought of, in which case it's important to have a way be able to select the old Marquee behaviour.

Today, AFAIK, there's no way to force the mouse - in Arrange - to select on a 'slice basis' instead of the normal grid based behaviour.

IMO a short click still should still only would select a 1-pixel wide area, and a double click should still divide the region.

But when it comes to swiping the Marquee tool over a Flex enabled, analysed region, I want the Marquee tool to behave the same way the mouse works with MIDI events in the various editors; it either selects the whole event or nothing; it never selects only eg. the first half of a MIDI note in the Piano Roll.

That's how people are used to work with MIDI, and IMO, this would be the mode that makes the most sense on regions that contain detected transients.

Alternatively, swiping over an area with the Marquee Tool could snap to transients only if a modifier is being used.

2) A simple way to reset tempo info for a Flex region without deleting the Flex markers.
This would work like a Follow Tempo on/off button for Flex'd regions. Should I explain why this would be useful?

3) A key command called "Hide/Show Media/List/Notes areas" (all of them!) ...because I need it many times every day. With this key command, I wouldn't need to even look at what kind of stuff that's shown in the right margin, I can just close it without learning three key commands.

4) A key command called "Expand Arrange Area" which would fill the who screen with the arrange area, and remove both any open editor on the right side, hide the inspector, the mixer or whatever is shown in the lower area of the Main Window –*and probably also the bar(s) at the top of the Main Window (Transport/Tools)

5) A mmmmaaaajjjjooooorrrr piano roll (and score etc) related key command wish:
"Go to next MIDI event on current track" which plays ALL notes in the chord/interval, if there is a one. This should work both for the piano roll and the score editor, and work independent of whether you are on a single (eg treble) or or dual (piano) staff style. OK; I'll admit that I have mentioned this one before, and that's true for the following as well:

6) "Go to next MIDI event on any track" which plays ALL MIDI notes in the entire arrangement. It should go without saying that this would be extremely useful for stepping thru your MIDI arrangement (eg to check out a string arrangement, or a combination of harmonic notes spread over several tracks).

I'll post more about 5 & 6 later.

7) "Temporary Tool". This small change in mouse tool behaviour could mean major workflow change:

Even if I have chosen a specific tool for the mouse, I occasionally want the mouse to get a different tool/function, but only for one (the current) edit. Example: The chosen tool is a mouse pointer, but I want it to be a scissor for one edit only.

Here the suggestion: If the user selects the number/character associated with the Scissor AFTER the mouse has been pressed down, Logic should interpret this as "change to tool x, but only for this edit", and go back to the originally selected tool after the user release the mouse button.

The result: a much lower, number of total clicks needed to switch back and forth between tools. I'll post examples later which shows when this would be very handy.


8) Clicking in the area between the Menu headers (in other words, the area around where it says eg Edit, Functions, View etc) could have a little Easter Egg: it could open up a list of the last 20 (or 15) used menu items - from any relevant menu. That would be a time saver, because when editing, one often repeats the same actions many times, and it's simply impossible for most people to memorise 1000 key commands.
Old 22nd March 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Good points mate. I must say though that I'm quite happy with the tools though. The 3 box tool system plus the zoom and fade tools through key modifiers does it for me. Still it's a valid point.
In the end besides the workflow and you might consider this stupid what mostly keeps me in Logic is the ease of navigation and zoom tool which is quite cool. For my line of work Pro Tools' audio engine and sturdy automation plus the mixer GUI are stellar but the navigation and zoom options are a total nightmare if you use Logic regularly.
Old 23rd March 2014
  #38
Gear Nut
 

These guys at Apple are sleeping
Rebuild Logic Pro from the ground with the New LAE (Logic Audio Engine)
Steal all pro tools features and implement them
Steal all Cubase features implement them
+All the features Logic has its self dah,it will a DAW never to beat in a century
JUs saying
Old 23rd March 2014
  #39
Gear Addict
 

I'd like to see a feature to export the MIDI functionality of Logic and import it into PT11.
Old 23rd March 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
I'd like to see a feature to export the MIDI functionality of Logic and import it into PT11
Let's swap then! I'd love to see some of Avid's brilliant MIDI functionality in Logic!
Old 23rd March 2014
  #41
The new MIDI FX, awesome! The arp with my hardware synths? Heaven.

I need way better audio editing capabilities. Perhaps as part of the new EXS. The new sampler needs at least a dozen filter options. I want there to be several layers of samples within an individual instrument. Each layer with its own HP/LP, transient design, panning, tuning, graphical waveform with superimposed amp and pitch envelopes.

Retro Synth? Really? Once upon a time ES2 was cutting edge. Get rid of everything and just have a dedicated 4-6 operator FM, mono bass synth, and a four oscillator poly with per osc width/panning.

I think that all of the sample and Apple Loop content should be online, not on my HD. I want to browse the samples, and choose which I want to quickly download for use. I so don't need 50GB of uselessness on my HD.

I think Ultrabeat should be an iPad app. I want to make sequences on my iPad an then import them into Logic. Ultrabeat is fantastic. There really isn't a thing like it out there. Needs a bit of improvement sound wise. The sine is, well, a sine wave. Anything else sounds kinda bad, and I need a better filter distortion unit. The envelopes are great. It's a great drum synth and the modulation options and sequencing randomizations are fantastic. Unfortunately, the sound is just sub-par. Outside of making the low end of a kick, or a tom, I can't use it because it sounds bad. Could be amazing......just needs an update, and a little work.

Edit:
I forgot. I have real problems moving around audio and MIDI regions. I can't figure out why. It will work fine and everything will be snapping into place one minute. Then the next I will realize that things are off quite a bit. I almost bounced a song to completion one time and then noticed I had several regions off by twenty clicks or so. Drives me crazy.
Old 23rd March 2014
  #42
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamslim11 View Post
These guys at Apple are sleeping
Rebuild Logic Pro from the ground with the New LAE (Logic Audio Engine)
Steal all pro tools features and implement them
Steal all Cubase features implement them
+All the features Logic has its self dah,it will a DAW never to beat in a century
JUs saying
Or just buy out Avid and Cockos (Reaper) altogether and you got the ultimate DAW.
Old 23rd March 2014
  #43
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Workflow wise those are not as good as Logic. Although Reaper is very customisable as far as workflow goes it's a living hell last time I tried it.
Old 24th March 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Logic 11 - what do you want?

God in heaven let us move the mixer channel strips around IN THE MIXER WINDOW it is 2014
Old 24th March 2014
  #45
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
Workflow wise those are not as good as Logic.
+1
their some DAW's i will never even try,Reaper? the name does not sound close to a DAW,i like swagish stuff like pro tools,logic,they sound Pro -ish
My opinion though,no hard feelings
am alwaysgoodKush
Old 24th March 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
God in heaven let us move the mixer channel strips around IN THE MIXER WINDOW it is 2014
Only if you say please heh
Old 25th March 2014
  #47
Gear Addict
 

Let's all be careful what we wish for. As we've seen with each new version, first Apple giveth, but not without Apple taketh away.
Old 26th March 2014
  #48
Gear Maniac
 

clip automation, some sort of rack within 1 channel for intuitive frequency splitting, layering etc, and a non-linear arrange window with drag and drop into the main arrange.......basically what ableton does but better.........and i want this for 10.1
Old 26th March 2014
  #49
Gear Maniac
 

also a better midi editor dedicated for drums
Old 27th March 2014
  #50
Gear Head
 

Midi chase is a joke in Logic. Sustain pedal chasing is intermittent at best. Chasing tempo synced synths or triggered loops does not work at all, unless that particular track is selected, which is no real help when your recording on another track. It's a real shame Apple has never addressed this. I provided a screen vid showing the issue to a senior Logic tech and after he was able to recreate the behavior on his machine, he agreed it was indeed a problem and would pass it along to the powers that be. That was 8 months ago. I guess it's just not a priority for them. Sad really. I am a converted Protools user and I prefer Logic in many ways, but midi chase in Protools is rock solid. I sure hope they fix it one day.
Old 28th March 2014
  #51
Gear Head
 

Also, on multi timbral instrument tracks why can't mute and solo just work like one would expect it to. I cannot for the life of me understand this functionality. The way it works serves no purpose. At least give us that stupid option we had in LP9 where you could get mute and solo to work in exchange for "cpu saving - slow response" option, which baffles me to this day what one has to do with the other. It's not at all logical...
Old 28th March 2014
  #52
I reallllllly would love a "Mix Mode" feature like they have in DP.
Old 28th March 2014
  #53
Lives for gear
 

I want it to only arrive in 4 years so X will be 50% bug free by then. Not a criticism, all those DAWs are bug-ridden with all the things they're trying to achieve...

KA
Old 2nd April 2014
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Swarm View Post
also a better midi editor dedicated for drums

I so miss the little black & grey diamonds the drum editor had in Cubase on the Atari ST. Drum rolls looked so much more intuitive. You could see rolls speeding up and slowing down.

Don't like the new coloured diamonds in Cubase now though. Just don't work as well for me.
Old 3rd April 2014
  #55
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
I so miss the little black & grey diamonds the drum editor had in Cubase on the Atari ST. Drum rolls looked so much more intuitive. You could see rolls speeding up and slowing down.

Don't like the new coloured diamonds in Cubase now though. Just don't work as well for me.
I know it's not the same but the step editor does a pretty good job.
Old 3rd April 2014
  #56
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
I know it's not the same but the step editor does a pretty good job.
yeah, once you configure it...which is a pain
Old 3rd April 2014
  #57
Lives for gear
 

PROPER DOCUMENTATION


… I mean, seriously how frickin' hard can it be?
Old 3rd April 2014
  #58
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Swarm View Post
yeah, once you configure it...which is a pain
Just open the step Editor. Click the lanes menu and choose new lane set for current events. Not that hard.
Old 4th April 2014
  #59
Here for the gear
 

I'd like to see the user created quantize items be cut loose from having to keep a copy of the midi file in arrange track as well as have basic edit functionality like save list/import/export/rename/move up or down/make default, etc...
Old 5th April 2014
  #60
Gear Addict
 

If Apple would please update Logic's factory bundled instruments/drum machine/sampler and gave us an option to use a similar session view as Ableton Live...

I would be very happy to purchase and use Logic pro again.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump