The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th September 2017
  #541
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
Let's see what the future holds...

KA
iMac Pro
Old 13th September 2017
  #542
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Which model are you talking about, and what is it that Image-Line can do?
I think that guy was referring to Image-Line's policy whereby if you buy FL Studio once, you get free updates for LIFE.
Old 13th September 2017
  #543
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Confused....
Which model are you talking about, and what is it that Image-Line can do?
And, btw, Apple isn't short of money. They could afford investing a lot of cash into making Logic better than all other DAWs out there if they wanted to. The problem with that would be that other companies would probably start to consider not making Mac versions of their DAWs. So Apple has gone to the other extreme instead: to hardly develop Logic at all in certain areas, and it's the same areas that are being ignored year after year.
The "model" of bringing major new features at dot updates but just a couple at a time... and yes free updates for life with FL.

KA
Old 13th September 2017
  #544
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
The problem with that would be that other companies would probably start to consider not making Mac versions of their DAWs. So Apple has gone to the other extreme instead: to hardly develop Logic at all in certain areas, and it's the same areas that are being ignored year after year.
This is a really good point. But now that I'm thinking about it.. would it really hurt Apple.. if Ableton stopped making Mac versions of Live.. and everybody had to use Windows? They make quite a bit of money from iPhones sales alone. And now with the upcoming iPhone X which will cost $999, Apple will make so much money off of that alone, it's disgusting.

Also, I highly doubt Ableton would ever stop making Mac versions of Live, no matter how great Logic was. That would make a LOT of Ableton users cry.... I have yet to see a DJ play a set with a PC laptop.
Old 13th September 2017
  #545
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
This is a really good point. But now that I'm thinking about it.. would it really hurt Apple.. if Ableton stopped making Mac versions of Live.. and everybody had to use Windows? They make quite a bit of money from iPhones sales alone. And now with the upcoming iPhone X which will cost $999, Apple will make so much money off of that alone, it's disgusting.

Also, I highly doubt Ableton would ever stop making Mac versions of Live, no matter how great Logic was. That would make a LOT of Ableton users cry.... I have yet to see a DJ play a set with a PC laptop.
It would hurt Mac sales if all the other DAW makers stopped making Mac versions. And of course you are right about Apple mainly being about something else than Macs (let alone about Logic). Jobs claimed that we were in the Post-PC area already around 2010! Do we even know of Apple is going to make Macs with a realistic price tag in the future? I hope they will, but what if all those Macs would run iOs pro, and Logic and FCP secretly had been ported over to iOs for several years now? And no, I'm not saying that Logic or Apple is dead.

Apple is a TV/car/phone/watch/tablet/music sales (etc) company which at some point acquired Emagic for Logic and certainly for the brilliant developers behind Logic. But the direction has changed since then - both for Apple and Logic.
Old 14th September 2017
  #546
Gear Maniac
 
thedomus's Avatar
When searching through files in the media side window it would be nice to have a waveform appear at the bottom of that window so that you can search & play long audio files, select a region and drag and drop or cue to SPL in arrange.

Support for user favourite folders etc in the same media browser window.

Basically more functionality with that area.

(Said before) Support for multiple QT clips in the same timeline.
Old 15th September 2017
  #547
Gear Addict
 

Our market share is so tiny that it hardly counts for Apple anyway. Now, imagine the tiny portion of this tiny market that would not buy a mac if Ableton were to drop MacOS support.... It is so incredibly small that I doubt the janitor at Apple would lose his sleep over it, let alone Tim Cook.

I don't believe in this theory. No matter how great Logic might one day become, the likes of Avid, Steinberg etc won't abandon MacOS. They own this to their long time customers who work on macs. They would be the ones to get hurt the most. For Apple, mac sales stand for 10% of their revenue today. The rest is mobile phones, tablets, watches etc. So, yeah, that angry Ableton user won't be missed if this were to happen...
Old 15th September 2017
  #548
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
Our market share is so tiny that it hardly counts for Apple anyway. Now, imagine the tiny portion of this tiny market that would not buy a mac if Ableton were to drop MacOS support
I totally agree.
Old 15th September 2017
  #549
Here for the gear
 
Karsten_3rAudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
- A scribbled variant for score sheets, something more playful
- An open loop for delay to inject other plugins
- An easier way to browse and preview IR in Space Designer
- A revamped Ultrabeat with a new GUI
- A De Expander
Regarding Space Designer you can use Space Designer Manager.
Old 15th September 2017
  #550
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
For Apple, mac sales stand for 10% of their revenue today. The rest is mobile phones, tablets, watches etc. So, yeah, that angry Ableton user won't be missed if this were to happen...
I don't think Apple would be worried if Ableton disappeared, they'd probably be happy. I wouldn't be surprised of Live has more customers out there than Logic. What I was talking about was that if Apple would come up with a Logic 11 that was so good that it would make a lot of Live/Cubase/Pro Tools etc users start using Logic.

With a few versions like that, maybe neither of the major DAW makers would find it worthwhile to keep developing Mac versions of their DAWs, and instead spend their capacity on making much better PC versions.


And while Apple wouldn't be worried about losing Live users, they could potentially become worried about if all other DAW developers gradually were abandoning their Mac versions, and thereby have capacity to spend more resources on their PC only DAWs.

And of course, there are long time Mac customers like myself, who have used Macs since the 80s/early 90s - but with the long term development change I talk about, Apple also know that many of us long-timers are gone in a couple of decades.

Of course I hope Apple will start developing features in the ignored areas instead of not doing that, or instead of letting go of their Mac line of products.

Whatever happens, nothing dramatic will probably happen within a few years anyway. Nevertheless, I do wonder of Apple have planned iOS based Macs for a long time, if they work towards an all iOs ecosystem meaning that you could hook up your phone to a screen and have a fully fledged (iOs based) Mac within a few years - and most of all: I wonder why they have been ignoring the same kinds of user requests for almost a decade now.
Old 16th September 2017
  #551
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten_3rAudio View Post
Regarding Space Designer you can use Space Designer Manager.
Can you elaborate? Is it in Logic?
Old 16th September 2017
  #552
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Is it in Logic?
No, it's a third party app. Just Google it.
Old 16th September 2017
  #553
Here for the gear
 
Karsten_3rAudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Can you elaborate? Is it in Logic?

You can find all infos here:

3R Audio

Space Designer Manager is a program that can generate new settings for your responses, modify and relink your settings.
Old 26th September 2017
  #554
Lives for gear
Ability to use preexisting aux busses for summing stacks.
Old 2nd October 2017
  #555
Lives for gear
In the sidechain dropdowns, there should be a tree for track types: audio, input, bus.

I inevitably want to sidechain bus 65 or whatever, and it takes ages to scroll to the bottom in my creak Mac Pro. And if I chose the wrong bus or wiggle out of the menu area, I get to start all over.


In bus selection menus, the bus name should appear alongside the number. "Bus 23" means nothing, but "Bus 23 - Aux 14 guitars" is meaningful. Often I have to take a detour through other views to find the bus I want, remember the number, then select it from the appropriate view. Total time waste.

In the inspector view, the two channel strips lower left are extremely useful for navigating from the auxes and output of the left channel to the right channel, which is context-specific. But if that right channel has different auxes and outputs, you can't easily navigate to them.

There should be a work around - perhaps hovering over or clicking the aux or output changes the right strip to the destination strip, or a third strip overlay temporarily pops out further to the right.

Or perhaps you could right click on the destination for an option to "go to" that track in the mixer view.

One-stop freezing of busses. Busses can't be frozen, yet this is where it makes the most sense to put your processor-hogging DSP.

There should be a freeze button on the bus track of a folder stack, which would freeze the bus output and all the tracks in it.
Old 4th October 2017
  #556
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post

In the inspector view, the two channel strips lower left are extremely useful for navigating from the auxes and output of the left channel to the right channel, which is context-specific. But if that right channel has different auxes and outputs, you can't easily navigate to them.

There should be a work around - perhaps hovering over or clicking the aux or output changes the right strip to the destination strip, or a third strip overlay temporarily pops out further to the right.

Or perhaps you could right click on the destination for an option to "go to" that track in the mixer view.
In the mixer window double clicking the send navigates to that channel, independent what kind of channel type it is. Never tried it in the Inspector though. Clicking there a send or output changes the shown right channel.

Test this for aux tracks: If you want an aux/buss in the Inspector (arrangement window), first create a (arrangement) track for that channel = select channel in mixer and hit CTRL + T. Then when you select that aux channel in the arrangement window, you should see context-specific other channels on the right. Not sure about this, since I hardly work with the Inspector, except for region and channel settings.
Old 10th October 2017
  #557
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
Our market share is so tiny that it hardly counts for Apple anyway. Now, imagine the tiny portion of this tiny market that would not buy a mac if Ableton were to drop MacOS support.... It is so incredibly small that I doubt the janitor at Apple would lose his sleep over it, let alone Tim Cook.

I don't believe in this theory. No matter how great Logic might one day become, the likes of Avid, Steinberg etc won't abandon MacOS. They own this to their long time customers who work on macs. They would be the ones to get hurt the most. For Apple, mac sales stand for 10% of their revenue today. The rest is mobile phones, tablets, watches etc. So, yeah, that angry Ableton user won't be missed if this were to happen...
Your argument is very close. That fact is despite what we may think, music apps is a very niche market. Just like video editing apps, DCC apps like Maya, or Photoshop. I think a while back Ableton said that the majority of their paying customers come from the Mac platform, about 60-70% of Adobe users are Mac users according to Adobe (thought it's been a while since I last checked this). Dropping the Mac platform despite it's relatively tiny userbase (compared to PC), would probably mean instant death to a lot companies who rely heavily on the revenue they get from the niche creative crowd that congregate around Apple's platform. You think Cubase, Ableton, etc. release on the Mac as a hobby? No, the mac platform has normally affluent (not rich but willing to spend) users, who are more willing to spend money on their gear, software. In a relatively small market, it would really stupid to ignore that demographic.

Why do you think Image-Line has been working on porting FLStudio over to the Mac over the last few years. Regardless of them saying they get 30,000 people downloading the demo from their site, how many of those are willing to pay for the software? Considering all the cracked version of the software I've seen (on even top producers) machines, I'd say not many.

That being said I think the main reason why Apple had stopped developing Logic was about priorities. The team is small, they would/do get pulled off of Logic to work on Garageband, especially after iOS took off. With the new blood they got from CamelAudio, and Redmatica I feel like they are now on track again. 10.0 was a disaster. I can say that 10.3.2 is amazing again and reminds me why I loved Logic all those years ago.

Anywho, if we can get back on topic. I would love to see that cool Live-esque loop launching mode in Logic proper. I was playing with that in Garageband on my iPad and it was amazing. I like it more than I like Live for some reason.
Old 10th October 2017
  #558
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
That being said I think the main reason why Apple had stopped developing Logic was about priorities. The team is small, they would/do get pulled off of Logic to work on Garageband, especially after iOS took off. With the new blood they got from CamelAudio, and Redmatica I feel like they are now on track again. 10.0 was a disaster. I can say that 10.3.2 is amazing again and reminds me why I loved Logic all those years ago.
Yeah, I'm also seeing improvements on Logic recently, we all are I believe. I hope that with VR being implemented on High Sierra Apple does a proper job in supporting quad tracks and ambisonics on Logic soon.

I was once beta testing an ambisonics plugin for a well known developer and they told me they wouldn't be doing an AU version of it until Apple got this sorted out in Logic, recommending PT HD (AAX) or Reaper (VST) instead. I hope this changes.
Old 10th October 2017
  #559
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Your argument is very close. That fact is despite what we may think, music apps is a very niche market. Just like video editing apps, DCC apps like Maya, or Photoshop. I think a while back Ableton said that the majority of their paying customers come from the Mac platform, about 60-70% of Adobe users are Mac users according to Adobe (thought it's been a while since I last checked this). Dropping the Mac platform despite it's relatively tiny userbase (compared to PC), would probably mean instant death to a lot companies who rely heavily on the revenue they get from the niche creative crowd that congregate around Apple's platform. You think Cubase, Ableton, etc. release on the Mac as a hobby? No, the mac platform has normally affluent (not rich but willing to spend) users, who are more willing to spend money on their gear, software. In a relatively small market, it would really stupid to ignore that demographic.

Why do you think Image-Line has been working on porting FLStudio over to the Mac over the last few years. Regardless of them saying they get 30,000 people downloading the demo from their site, how many of those are willing to pay for the software? Considering all the cracked version of the software I've seen (on even top producers) machines, I'd say not many.

That being said I think the main reason why Apple had stopped developing Logic was about priorities. The team is small, they would/do get pulled off of Logic to work on Garageband, especially after iOS took off. With the new blood they got from CamelAudio, and Redmatica I feel like they are now on track again. 10.0 was a disaster. I can say that 10.3.2 is amazing again and reminds me why I loved Logic all those years ago.
Well put. I fully agree.
It is a business, no matter how small. At the end the day a decision has to be made based on if it is good or bad for the company's business and survival.

The main exception is when companies have a pet project that they don't rely on financially. And that is exactly what worries many Mac users about Apple lately, where it seems that the entire Mac market becomes a pet project (compared to the iOS/iPhone/Watch segment) that they could abandon if Tim Cook wakes up one morning and feels that way.
Old 11th October 2017
  #560
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
Well put. I fully agree.
It is a business, no matter how small. At the end the day a decision has to be made based on if it is good or bad for the company's business and survival.

The main exception is when companies have a pet project that they don't rely on financially. And that is exactly what worries many Mac users about Apple lately, where it seems that the entire Mac market becomes a pet project (compared to the iOS/iPhone/Watch segment) that they could abandon if Tim Cook wakes up one morning and feels that way.
It may be a pet project but it's still a very profitable one for Apple. Apple is still one of the top 5 OEMs shipping PC hardware and one of the few who were actually showing growth for a while. On top of that Apple makes healthy margins on each machine versus other OEMs who have to include a whole bunch of junk just to make cents on the dollar per machine. I doubt they would drop it unless it really started to decline and bog down the business. So far no signs of that. Apple has however lost focus in that part of the company and I think if they don't regain focus they will lose customers at some point. Even the hardcore loyalists. Apple needs the mac brand to be a halo product for their devices, but as Apple starts to become more of an appliance company (watch out for that Apple toaster one day), their focus will shift. I personally think that's a mistake.

The fact is that there just is't any money for these companies anymore selling PCs. Gaming has added a bit of a bump now, and OEMs are responding with ridiculous "gamer" focused over-priced crap, there is no denying that that particular market is booming and that anything within that halo is making money as well (game chairs, fancy led mice, keyboards, etc.). However OEMs aren't selling like they used to and it's only declining as tablets and smartphones become the way the layman interact and communicates and even makes music (I made a whole track on my iPhone with Garageband and it was pretty cool to just pull the thing out of my pocket and work on the track).

If Apple has kept the same kind of culture they had when Steve was around, they have a relatively small team working on all this stuff, when they need more resources somewhere else they pull from their teams and focus on something else. A company like Microsoft would have huge teams working on one product, Apple does the opposite. I don't know what they are like now, but I remember that being the case when Steve was around.
Old 12th October 2017
  #561
Gear Nut
 
currentstatus's Avatar
 

I remember Apple PowerPC boxes being relabeled Motorola "among others". I used to own an Apple Authorized Dealership in the UK back in the 90's. It was back when Steve stood down for the first time.. before he came back with the iMac range and continue the "Think Different" campaign. Mr Spindler came along and tried to white box "OEM" everything. Now that was a shocker !! Wish I had kept some of those Motorola units.

I've been using Logic since it's early roots as C-Lab. Logic has evolved into what it is today because Apple have always focused on the need for software to back up their hardware sales. They've always concentrated hard on crearting the loyal userbase.. in Apple's case complete solutions in the print, media and AV industries. That was their piece of the pie. And that area has not been breached to this day!

I don't think Apple will tip that cart for many years to come.. sure.. nothing lasts for ever. But I think we can all go on enjoying Logic and Apple hardware without worrying too much.. for the moment.
Old 12th October 2017
  #562
Lives for gear
 
Jonathan Race's Avatar
Tbh I'm not expecting much from 11. If it follows the same trend as other apple products then we will probably get:-

Some beter integration with the iPhone / iPad
Probably some Siri integration
Minor bug fixes (but not the ones that are important)

Old 12th October 2017
  #563
Lives for gear
tap tempo
Old 12th October 2017
  #564
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf View Post
tap tempo
Have you tried the existing Tap Tempo function?
Attached Thumbnails
Logic 11 - what do you want?-screen-shot-2017-10-12-17.46.05.png  
Old 12th October 2017
  #565
Lives for gear
After seeing the melodyne ARA function that is the main feature I would like or a flex pitch that is as good or better quality as melodyne
Old 12th October 2017
  #566
Gear Nut
 
emgbiotch's Avatar
 

Complete redesign/overhaul/GUI update of EXS24!
Old 12th October 2017
  #567
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Have you tried the existing Tap Tempo function?
ha ha, yes I know all about that nonsense - I mean a tap tempo button you just press to get the tempo of something you're playing on the guitar or whatever, you know like they have in ableton and whatnot
Old 13th October 2017
  #568
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

To be able to set window level in preferences, using any of the window levels available via the cocoa api.

Basically, above all, I want to be able to either always make it float on top, or be able to sink it down to the lowest window level so that an app other than Logic can ALWAYS float on top. Either is needed, often.
Old 13th October 2017
  #569
Here for the gear
 

Eloquent articulation switching that is practical to implement and this precludes Audio Groceries and SkiSwitcher.
Old 16th October 2017
  #570
Gear Addict
assign to aux before summing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum View Post
Ability to use preexisting aux busses for summing stacks.
Just before you create the summing stack set the output of the tracks to the AUX that you want to use. Create the summing stack. Poof - pre-existing AUX for the summing stack.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump