The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
when was logic x released?
2013 iirc...

Ka
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
2013 iirc...

Ka
Yes, July of 2013. And no Logic 11 yet. OTOH, who has said that there will ve a Logic 11 ever.... maybe the idea of not having major releases (with the potential of be very buggy due to a lot of new functionality released at the same time)? Maybe it actually would be a better idea to only release one major change at a time, let it mature/stabilise/get the needed bugfixes before another major change is being released?
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Yes, July of 2013. And no Logic 11 yet. OTOH, who has said that there will ve a Logic 11 ever.... maybe the idea of not having major releases (with the potential of be very buggy due to a lot of new functionality released at the same time)? Maybe it actually would be a better idea to only release one major change at a time, let it mature/stabilise/get the needed bugfixes before another major change is being released?
Ive been using logic for years. Until they change that code, and completely rewrite it, I doubt those weird bugs will ever go away. Its a great daw, but its undoubtably very fragile when you're doing heavy material on it. its 2017 and their main sampler can't play 32bit files... its obvious they don't care about really making it as powerful as it can be. It has massive potentials, but they just fill it with fluff so they can market it like its flex tool... great on the fly but terrible as it induces pops and clicks. So for the guy who wants to buy a macbook and dabble in music, logics marketing sounds attractive, but once you start diving in you find that there are major problems.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nobody knows but it seems they're taking the numbering thing the same way as macOS, so if that's the case we won't see Logic 11 anytime soon. But with all they've added since 10.0, I'd say we're already in 11 right now.

KA
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
Ive been using logic for years. Until they change that code, and completely rewrite it, I doubt those weird bugs will ever go away. Its a great daw, but its undoubtably very fragile when you're doing heavy material on it. its 2017 and their main sampler can't play 32bit files... its obvious they don't care about really making it as powerful as it can be.
Re. EXS, we don't know why there's very little development. It could be legal reasons, patents... but for serious sample needs, pretty much everyone I'm in touch with use Kontakt anyway, due to it's massive jungle of 3rd part developers (who develop sample libraries).

Bugs.... I'm not sure which bugs you think of, buy if you count all the bugs Apple has announced that they have fixed since the initial LPX release, we're probably talking if more than 2000 fixes.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear
Add option to just record REC Enabled tracks. Not any selected track too.
Old 1st June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Re. EXS, we don't know why there's very little development. It could be legal reasons, patents... but for serious sample needs, pretty much everyone I'm in touch with use Kontakt anyway, due to it's massive jungle of 3rd part developers (who develop sample libraries).

Bugs.... I'm not sure which bugs you think of, buy if you count all the bugs Apple has announced that they have fixed since the initial LPX release, we're probably talking if more than 2000 fixes.
im not mad at you, but i hate this argument. most of their bug fixes create more bugs. The audio mute/solo bug is 10years old this year. its been well documented. the Automation bug is still there, that bug is probably as old as the daw itself. The sidechain bug is a new bug. Sometimes randomly logic won't recognize a key-in, or the latency (intermittent) will be so severe that it renders it useless, I've tried everything. I just stick with imitation sidechaining at this point. Flex bug. When you close sessions sometimes the stock eq resets itself. I know this is caused by the new save feature. The stock eq though, like come on... really!? Virtually every new* feature logic introduces has a bug, and is useless, unless you use an unintended work around. workaround for the stock eq is to save the preset before closing. people will say "but all is working fine over here." i use logic pretty heavily, so I'm familiar with the ins an outs. I am also on a "stable system," have done a clean install. Everything is good. The difference between logic and other daws, is that logics bugs target the most mundane tasks... its almost as if were beta testing for them
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think people are to consumed by version numbers, like they mean anything in real terms! the amount of features Apple has added for free since Logic X came out could easily be considered Logic XII by now had it been another DAW's version cycle to feature expectancy.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
I think people are to consumed by version numbers, like they mean anything in real terms! the amount of features Apple has added for free since Logic X came out could easily be considered Logic XII by now had it been another DAW's version cycle to feature expectancy.
ohhh because they added feature that half works, we should be grateful and just live with the bugs
Old 2nd June 2017
Key command toggle - Show only tracks with active regions within the locators and hide other tracks.

In large orchestral templates with hundreds of tracks this is essential. I see it is an option in Cubase.

I found the key command "Hide All Empty Tracks" but this doesn't work in my case because I have short regions at the beginning of each track with the proper MIDI CC to reset each instrument individually and those I don't wish to delete.
Old 2nd June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
the amount of features Apple has added for free since Logic X came out could easily be considered Logic XII by now had it been another DAW's version cycle to feature expectancy.
Statements about that would only reflect what kind of changes/functionality you hoped top see in Logic 10 (and in 11 and 12). Many of us feel that the sum of the changes that has been introduced in Logic 10 and subversions still mainly represent a frustration of not having gotten anything of what we hoped to see in Logic in 2013 - or rather, in Logic 10 much earlier than 2013.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Statements about that would only reflect what kind of changes/functionality you hoped top see in Logic 10 (and in 11 and 12). Many of us feel that the sum of the changes that has been introduced in Logic 10 and subversions still mainly represent a frustration of not having gotten anything of what we hoped to see in Logic in 2013 - or rather, in Logic 10 much earlier than 2013.
Absolutely everyone has different needs and feature requests, either way I don't think anybody can argue how much Logic still being on version 10 has brought to the table in comparison to other DAW's features added only in a version cycle, also some long asked for features have now been addressed, true stereo panning, region based processing, play list style comping, 64bit summing engine the list goes on and are all important depending from which DAW you are coming from, are there outstanding requests? Sure there are based on what you need or want it to do. I know you want more notation style features added or an 'idea's palette' found in Sibelius for example.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

This is how much I like logic. If logic 11 got rid of all the cool features that half worked and just fixed the automation and mute bugs, and the save bug that resets eqs. I'd be so happy lol. Seriously.
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
This is how much I like logic. If logic 11 got rid of all the cool features that half worked and just fixed the automation and mute bugs, and the save bug that resets eqs. I'd be so happy lol. Seriously.
Wow, what are those bugs you're talking about? I never have any problems with automation, muting stuff and Logic resetting eqs!!! You probably use these in a way I don't so I don't see those. Are those confirmed, documented bugs that everybody have or are they known system-specific issues?

I could write my list of bugs but those 3 you mention never happen on my system. Weird...

KA
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear
Would love an option for XOR (exclusive OR) soloing. Solo one track - when you solo a second track it cancels solo on the first.
Old 4th June 2017
Gear Addict

Option click on the solo button will work as XOR, canceling the previous soloed track, right?
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpv View Post
Option click on the solo button will work as XOR, canceling the previous soloed track, right?
1000 thanks for this!!! I searched many times and never found this!
Old 4th June 2017
Gear Addict

You're welcome, mate!
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
Wow, what are those bugs you're talking about? I never have any problems with automation, muting stuff and Logic resetting eqs!!! You probably use these in a way I don't so I don't see those. Are those confirmed, documented bugs that everybody have or are they known system-specific issues?

I could write my list of bugs but those 3 you mention never happen on my system. Weird...

KA
here we go with the "my system." Your system was probably sprinkled with magic ferry dust just like all gearslut users system lol. yes they are well documented everywhere for years multiple systems. Just google. The eq one is recent For me since logic x. I'll eq something... open it up later and the eqs are blank. Yeh my sessions are huge... with track and vocals together, but still hovering around 60-70% cpu. Logic starts acting funny as you use it more intensively. It's not that bad but I use ableton, pro tools and logic. logic by far has the most bugs. Also logic bugs affect simple things... which is odd, because I'm wondering who the hell is beta testing. I remember one time where exs24 was randomly broken with a revision... it's like you mean to tell me you didn't test your number 1 sampler. That was when I switched back to protools for a couple years again...
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Addict
So you're a Pro Tools user for a couple of years, but still whingeing about Logic and putting down all the people for whom it's working fine. Maybe you should let it go.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
So you're a Pro Tools user for a couple of years, but still whingeing about Logic and putting down all the people for whom it's working fine. Maybe you should let it go.
Pro tools user for 14 years, and logic user for 9 years. stop getting in your emotions. if you're not whinging about logic you should let this thread go lol
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

For the love of God I just want the basics without BS workarounds.

On/OFF for Inserts.

Ability to move faders, aux where I want in the mixer.

Like the competition has had for ages
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Until I can move my tracks in the mixer without an environment window and turn on/off FX without a macro BS it to me is Logic SOS.

Slows me down
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Maniac

What I would like (unless it's already here, and I haven't found it--a very real possibility) is a way to make a quick visual check of all points where a part/loop is not exactly snapped to a grid line.
Though I set the parameter so it will snap to an absolute and not a relative, I sometimes find that when I hyper-enlarge the tracks/regions, I will discover a gap that I hadn't recognized visually. (My vision is, indeed, a bit compromised.)
This feature would be something like Audacity's "Find Clipping" feature, only for gaps (that, yes, are intentional sometimes).
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPXRH View Post
What I would like (unless it's already here, and I haven't found it--a very real possibility) is a way to make a quick visual check of all points where a part/loop is not exactly snapped to a grid line.
Though I set the parameter so it will snap to an absolute and not a relative, I sometimes find that when I hyper-enlarge the tracks/regions, I will discover a gap that I hadn't recognized visually. (My vision is, indeed, a bit compromised.)
This feature would be something like Audacity's "Find Clipping" feature, only for gaps (that, yes, are intentional sometimes).
I find that exact same issue hugely annoying
Old 11th June 2017
I would like 'drummers' that do country and blues beats. Also modern kits that uses various types of brushes rather than having to use loops that aren't always what you are after or old synth brushes.
Old 12th June 2017
Alternatives for the arrangement and mixer, seperately, within the existing alternatives for projects.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Let's see if I remember my 'pet peeves' list that I've had for a decade or so with Logic.

1. The ability to set the output for the software monitor function. If I'm recording in the control room, I want 'software-monitoring' to send my signal to the headphone outs, not the main speakers.

2. A 'talkback' feature and headphone mix section. Assignable Talkback trigger and audio input, assignable headphone mix busses you don't have to build yourself in every template...

3. For petes' sakes fix the multi-timbral VI 'channelization' thing so you can independently automate the volume faders of the various sub-channels of a VI. If you can do it for a MIDI 'multi-instrument', it should work for VI's too.

4. Snapshot mixes - so you can 'snapshot' the current state of the mixer, and automate 'jumps' to other snapshots (faders, sends, plugin bypass, etc).

5. Tabbed Arrange window so you can have several different projects, or project versions, open at once. Or separate tabs so you could have film cues at different tempos without worrying about losing sync when you work on something earlier in the timeline.

6. Bring back 'Link' and 'Unlinked' windows so that I can keep focus on one set of channels in the mixer window (like a headphone mix) without it jumping around every time I click on something in the Arrange window. This feature should never have been removed.

7. Bring back something similar to the old 'Sound-Diver' patch librarian so that those of us who still use hardware synths have a simple method to store and organize patches. (okay, okay, I know this will NEVER happen)

8. Some kind of improved tool for stacking background vocals, so that you can 'unpack' a take folder to the next available empty tracks. Currently, unpacking sends everything onto copies of the same track (kinda useless), or brand new empty tracks (which then have to be edited into something useable... time consuming).

That's all I can remember so far! My hunch is that at best 1 of the items on this list will show up in v11. I've been beggin for this crap a looong time!

Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
5. Tabbed Arrange window so you can have several different projects, or project versions, open at once. Or separate tabs so you could have film cues at different tempos without worrying about losing sync when you work on something earlier in the timeline.
Adding to this, Bitwig has a feature where you can easily drag and drop a track or tracks + channel strip plugins along with any midi regions between open tabbed projects. It works extremely well and is so much easier than the Import Media method in Logic.
Old 14th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
6. Bring back 'Link' and 'Unlinked' windows so that I can keep focus on one set of channels in the mixer window (like a headphone mix) without it jumping around every time I click on something in the Arrange window. This feature should never have been removed.
Not sure if it was removed once, I don't think so. It is definitely not in 10.3.1

EDIT: Sorry, I was wrong... confused it with 'Follow Track Stacks'. Arrange and Mix window are always linked.

Last edited by stardustmedia; 14th June 2017 at 09:13 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search