The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd July 2016
  #421
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
But considerably newer than Cubase or Logic. I should have said..."An old Euro thing" lol
Ha!
Old 22nd July 2016
  #422
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeEP View Post
I was considering trying 5-Pin MIDI cables, into a USB interface. But somebody else indicated they had the same problem, with 5 pin.

They were hoping the Minologue update would fix it.

Has 5 Pin fixed it for you?
Never had any problems but everybody I know who used a usb extender with any peripherals have had problems. Bring the controller closer and use only a usb cable direct from controller/interface and the computer and all the problems go away.

KA
Old 29th August 2016
  #423
Gear Head
 

What do I want from Logic 11?

- Improved Flex Pitch and Time: better algos, built-in Vocalign and ADT functionality. Flex Pitch freed me from Melodyne hell, having a Vocalign-like workflow without needing to manually feed audio to it would be a godsend. Also making realistic doubles without Revoice would be amazing.

- Less convoluted way to do MIDI velocity crescendos transforms (the current system is completely insane)

- Post-fader inserts (for Pi, Console emulators, etc)

- Quick shortcut to A/B two adjacent plugins in the insert slots

- A way to avoid exporting a stereo file when bouncing a mono file with the "include volume/pan automation" option selected. At least split the pan and volume checkboxes so volume-only exports mono.

- Sensible MIDI routing options from MIDI tracks to the virtual instruments, current system is needlessly convoluted.

- Real slip edit without tricks

Last edited by Yoga; 18th October 2016 at 01:29 AM..
Old 9th September 2016
  #424
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
1) A monitor section strip (ala cubendo) in order to use my room correction plugin, set and forget.

2) Ability to deactivate tracks, track & aux inserts (ala pro tools) to save temporarily ram and cpu power

3) Tab to transient
Old 9th September 2016
  #425
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga View Post
- A way to draw fade ins and outs on multiple tracks simultaneously instead of having to use the Inspector (giant waste of time when editing)
You can do that! Select all the regions that you want, then hold shift and control. Drag your mouse to do the fade. It should be applied to all selected regions.
Old 9th September 2016
  #426
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
1) A monitor section strip (ala cubendo) in order to use my room correction plugin, set and forget.

2) Ability to deactivate tracks, track & aux inserts (ala pro tools) to save temporarily ram and cpu power

3) Tab to transient
Tab to transient with the Marquee tool is there. No waiting for Logic 11 or whatever.

KA
Old 9th September 2016
  #427
Lives for gear
 
Bob Yordan's Avatar
In the browser when you preview listen to a midi or audio file a small window
Displays the content of the file.

Eg displays if the midi file contain many
Midi channels. And lets you pick
which one of the midi channels you want
To drag drop into the arrange window.

Possibility to search for OS/X tagged folders and files.
Old 9th September 2016
  #428
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
1) A monitor section strip (ala cubendo) in order to use my room correction plugin, set and forget.

2) Ability to deactivate tracks, track & aux inserts (ala pro tools) to save temporarily ram and cpu power

3) Tab to transient
Uhh you can deactivate tracks. Inserts not unless create a track for that insert in the arrange window. The track power button. rigt click track choose show header components, on/off or power
Old 9th September 2016
  #429
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoga View Post
What do I want from Logic 11?

- Improved Flex Pitch and Time: better algos, built-in Vocalign and ADT functionality. Flex Pitch freed me from Melodyne hell, having a Vocalign-like workflow without needing to manually feed audio to it would be a godsend. Also making realistic doubles without Revoice would be amazing.

- A way to draw fade ins and outs on multiple tracks simultaneously instead of having to use the Inspector (giant waste of time when editing)

- Less convoluted way to do MIDI velocity crescendos transforms (the current system is completely insane)

- Post-fader inserts (for Pi, Console emulators, etc)

- Quick shortcut to A/B two adjacent plugins in the insert slots

- A way to avoid exporting a stereo file when bouncing a mono file with the "include pan/automation" option selected. At least split the pan and automation checkboxes so automation only exports mono.

- Sensible MIDI routing options from MIDI tracks to the virtual instruments, current system is needlessly convoluted.

- Real slip edit without tricks
Could you just route the track's entire output to an Auxillary Channel / Bus in order to have true Post-Fader Insert behavior? You also gain the benefit of having the automation timing to be more accurate, and in order to make this process seemless, you can show the AUX track in the Arranger (Main Window,) and also Hide the Original Track Such that the AUX Channel becomes your main track for all intents and purposes. However, given you might want some of the inserts to be Pre-Fader, the one cost could be having the two tracks operating simultaneously in the Arranger -- thus not hide the original track. In such a case, I'd move them such that one is on top of the other.

You can still have Pre and Post Fader Sends with this new workflow, all the while allowing for the Post Fader Inserts. All automation would occur on the AUX Channel, not the original track. The AUX channel's output would go to the 2-Bus (or Stereo-Out if you do not have such a set up.) You can even include any and all Aux Channels in Track Stacks, Summing or Folder.

I pretty much always would ask for better algos (regarding FLEX), though LPX's are getting quite close to elastique's. The Audio-to-MIDI is not there, however, for some unbeknownst reason, even though it now includes Velocity data like Ableton/Cubase.
Old 9th September 2016
  #430
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I wish Track Stacks didn't look so ugly when closed.. i wish it looked like a waveform or similar!
OK, this is pureley aesthetic.....
Old 9th September 2016
  #431
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
I don't mind the way it looks at all. I tend to always zoom all the way out anyway so I'm just seeing a bunch of zoomed out regions most of the time.

Already mentioned, I too would love to be able to have a track stack in a Track Stack. For example, it would be great if I could group just the cymbals together or just the snares together within my drum Track Stack. Or all of my rhythm guitar tracks within my guitar Track Stack. You can actually do this in Bitwig and it's pretty awesome.
I really thought S1 had the two tied too (Mixer / Arranger?) Perhaps they "freed" them with their new Console insitiatives?

Most if not all of the programmers are from Steinberg, just as many of the original emagic team was too.
Old 9th September 2016
  #432
Here for the gear
 

I think they will continue with 10.2.5 etc
Old 9th September 2016
  #433
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
OK, this is pureley aesthetic.....
So? So is new GUIs for all the Logic plugins, retina display, a GUI refresh from Logic 9 to X etc...
Old 9th September 2016
  #434
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
What's not to like about that and the free upgrade path? :-)
Old 9th September 2016
  #435
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
So? So is new GUIs for all the Logic plugins, retina display, a GUI refresh from Logic 9 to X etc...
Fair enough, I suppose I don't take particular issue with this aspect of the GUI at all.

On this note, fcsoria's plugin skins are incredible! Though there was some initial disapproval of the new Vector-based plugin theme, I happen to really, really like it, even in the original form. Many a third party developer either does not have the reources or desire to make their own vectorized, and that is quite the shame as it adds a ton of value on an iMac 5K.

Just like some did not like the dark aspect of LPX when compared with LP9. Well look at Adobe, iZotope, Native Instuments, even consumer platforms like Steam, Spotify -- they are all dark like LPX now! Adobe had the old "Light aspect" too, and is much better in the current incarnation IMO, just as I prefer LPX over LP9 by a siginificant order of magnitude.

Last edited by MusiKLover; 9th September 2016 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: add vector comment
Old 9th September 2016
  #436
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
Uhh you can deactivate tracks. Inserts not unless create a track for that insert in the arrange window. The track power button. rigt click track choose show header components, on/off or power
Hi, thanks for replying.
I know the track power button but I'm not quite sure if it really free up cpu power on "off" position.
Old 10th September 2016
  #437
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Hi, thanks for replying.
I know the track power button but I'm not quite sure if it really free up cpu power on "off" position.
It does. Note that if you have UAD plugs it won't free em up. That DSP is frustratingly allocated even if you deactivate the plug or poweroff the track.
Old 10th September 2016
  #438
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Already mentioned, I too would love to be able to have a track stack in a Track Stack. For example, it would be great if I could group just the cymbals together or just the snares together within my drum Track Stack. Or all of my rhythm guitar tracks within my guitar Track Stack. You can actually do this in Bitwig and it's pretty awesome.

DENIED. Jk this would be nice. It's a mental fuk when you route a track stack output to another track stack input. I do this a fair amount and it always takes a minute for me to unravel what the wackass routing scheme is.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I wish Track Stacks didn't look so ugly when closed.. i wish it looked like a waveform or similar!
Word up. It's just a big dumb blank rectangle. Personally I'd like to just see a pile of lines indicating how many and what kind of tracks are in the stack.
Old 10th September 2016
  #439
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
It does. Note that if you have UAD plugs it won't free em up. That DSP is frustratingly allocated even if you deactivate the plug or poweroff the track.
Hold on, if I disengage a UAD plugin, the DSP is no longer allocated; I am not referring to using the track power button, but rather the individual plugin's on/off trigger. You have to change the settings in UAD itself:

Under the configuration tab in the UAD control panel, Uncheck DSP LoadLock, Extra Buffering (LPX does not need this, only other DAWs,) and check "Release all UAD DSP resources on AU bypass."

Furthermore, if you are not using Console at the time to Track, but rather UAD only for Mixing in LPX, here is a trick to free up DSP overhead:

-go into Activity Monitory. Force quit the Console and the UAD Control Panel Monitoring (two separate line items)

For instance, UAD allocated 14% of its total DSP to this overhead. The rate does change with different Sample Rates, too, but the savings is commensurate. If you force quit the processes, the UAD plugins still work, and the load goes all the way down to 1%! That's a bank error in your favor of 13%, and this can be quite handy when you encroach upon the upper limit. I believe UAD calls this a "hard reset," though they go about the process differently yet accomplish the same thing. I stumbled upon this by accident as I was using MacOS tools to clean aspects of my system.

This process was confirmed to be valid on UAD's site.
Old 10th September 2016
  #440
Lives for gear
 
faeflora's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Hold on, if I disengage a UAD plugin, the DSP is no longer allocated; I am not referring to using the track power button, but rather the individual plugin's on/off trigger. You have to change the settings in UAD itself:

Under the configuration tab in the UAD control panel, Uncheck DSP LoadLock, Extra Buffering (LPX does not need this, only other DAWs,) and check "Release all UAD DSP resources on AU bypass."

Furthermore, if you are not using Console at the time to Track, but rather UAD only for Mixing in LPX, here is a trick to free up DSP overhead:

-go into Activity Monitory. Force quit the Console and the UAD Control Panel Monitoring (two separate line items)

For instance, UAD allocated 14% of its total DSP to this overhead. The rate does change with different Sample Rates, too, but the savings is commensurate. If you force quit the processes, the UAD plugins still work, and the load goes all the way down to 1%! That's a bank error in your favor of 13%, and this can be quite handy when you encroach upon the upper limit. I believe UAD calls this a "hard reset," though they go about the process differently yet accomplish the same thing. I stumbled upon this by accident as I was using MacOS tools to clean aspects of my system.

This process was confirmed to be valid on UAD's site.


OOOOH!!! Will turn off the loadlock and extra buffering and turn on release!!! Yesss! Thank you!

This thread is the best!
Old 10th September 2016
  #441
Here for the gear
 

Any word or rumour on when it's gonna be released ? ANYBODY ?
Old 11th September 2016
  #442
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket View Post
Any word or rumour on when it's gonna be released ? ANYBODY ?
You didn't hear? Logic X is 3 years old. It can only mean that Apple is killing Logic!! Logic is DEAD!!!

Someone had to do it. Been a while since somebody come here and says that....

KA
Old 11th September 2016
  #443
Lives for gear
Undo fader moves, fade in/out comp regions
Old 27th September 2016
  #444
Gear Maniac
 

Tab to transient

Channel grouping shortcut

Playlisting like protools. The comp feature is useless and messy.

Drag and drop sampler like ableton's "Simpler"

X/Y controllers like Ableton

Audio warping like Ableton to automatically change loops to tempo quickly

BRIGHT grid lines at the top
Old 27th September 2016
  #445
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrenegade View Post
Tab to transient

Channel grouping shortcut

Playlisting like protools. The comp feature is useless and messy.

Drag and drop sampler like ableton's "Simpler"

X/Y controllers like Ableton

Audio warping like Ableton to automatically change loops to tempo quickly

BRIGHT grid lines at the top
Tab to transient exists already. Dont remember the default hotkey but you can program it in the key commands. Also flex time a loop and just drag it out to end on the barline and it will be in tempo pretty quick. Then just change the tempo to whatever you want.
Old 27th September 2016
  #446
Gear Maniac
 

If you have multiple tempo loops, you have to drag them in, change the tempo, flexitime it and then change the tempo back to your session tempo. This is long winded when working with lots of different tempo loops while writing. Ableton does it all immediately just by dragging the files into your arrangement.

If there is a tab to transient key, I would LOVE to know it. Will look through the key commands now, cheers.
Old 27th September 2016
  #447
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
You didn't hear? Logic X is 3 years old. It can only mean that Apple is killing Logic!! Logic is DEAD!!!

Someone had to do it. Been a while since somebody come here and says that....

KA
That's because eveyone has migrated to another DAW .... didn't they tell you
Old 27th September 2016
  #448
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
That's because eveyone has migrated to another DAW .... didn't they tell you
Shoot, didn't get the memo!!

KA
Old 27th September 2016
  #449
Gear Maniac
 

Found tab to transient! Really handy, but not as accurate as protools unfortunately..
Old 27th September 2016
  #450
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrenegade View Post
Found tab to transient! Really handy, but not as accurate as protools unfortunately..
I believe there is a way to enable snap to zero crossing. May help
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump