The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th July 2016
  #391
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

For readers of this thread who may have missed it, there are three polls about Logic wishes here:

Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part one
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part two
Favourite Logic Pro wishes, part THREE

I can't think of any reasons not to vote is such polls... :-)
Old 12th July 2016
  #392
Gear Maniac
 
GrabtharsHammer's Avatar
I want a good MIDI drum editor (I envy the Cubase users for this single feature). Programming drums with the piano roll and/or step editor sucks.
Old 13th July 2016
  #393
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Logic 11 - what do you want?

I want that raccoon to help with engineering duties.
Old 13th July 2016
  #394
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
I want a good MIDI drum editor (I envy the Cubase users for this single feature). Programming drums with the piano roll and/or step editor sucks.
I really wasn't going to reply to this post, but it's serious low hanging fruit -- and you just joined this month.

1. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...ht=superior+or

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11848363-post16.html

2. Apple Logic Pro X Review 2016 | Recording Software

"Logic Pro X's virtual drummer track is second to none. The track works as a digital session drummer, consisting of different drummers with various backgrounds and playing styles. You can also change the type of drum kit it uses. What is cool and kind of strange about the session drummer track is that it doesn't need to be played first. For instance, if you record a bass line, the session drummer plays to the bass line. You don't need to start with the drums and play around that. Over time, like with any rhythm section, the drummer actually gets better and more comfortable with the way you play. It makes the digital drum track feel like a real person, and the result is better music production."

3. Best Virtual Drummer?

4. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11581977-post24.html and https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11581212-post18.html part of DAW with best Included Plugins?

5.https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...34003&start=50


I could go on. You can edit MIDI by converting the tracks, and going to either the EXS24, Ultrabeat, or even use the front end DKD or DMD. The Piano Roll now lists the drum tracks by name, and if this is too taxing, perhaps something like Geist would better help. However, that's hard for me to imagine!


And tangentially related from a mixing perspective, contemporaneous:

VCA USELESS on Nuendo 7
Old 13th July 2016
  #395
Gear Maniac
 
GrabtharsHammer's Avatar
Well the low hanging fruit I was talking about is a cherry and you seem to have mistaken it for an apple.

I wasn't talking about a comparison between several well established drummer instruments (Superior, Logic Drummer, EZdrummer etc.). I just really like the Cubase MIDI editor for programming drums. It's the only Cubase feature I miss after having made the switch to Logic. It's much more intuitive than Logic's piano roll and/or step editor and the whole workflow for programming drums is much easier there.

I actually like Logic's drummer feature for giving me a rough idea what beat could work out for a track, but when I want to program every hit by myself (what I usually do), Logic just isn't that convenient.
Old 13th July 2016
  #396
Gear Addict
 

Talking

I want cross platform compatibility but I know I'm dreaming.
Old 13th July 2016
  #397
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
Well the low hanging fruit I was talking about is a cherry and you seem to have mistaken it for an apple.

I wasn't talking about a comparison between several well established drummer instruments (Superior, Logic Drummer, EZdrummer etc.). I just really like the Cubase MIDI editor for programming drums. It's the only Cubase feature I miss after having made the switch to Logic. It's much more intuitive than Logic's piano roll and/or step editor and the whole workflow for programming drums is much easier there.

I actually like Logic's drummer feature for giving me a rough idea what beat could work out for a track, but when I want to program every hit by myself (what I usually do), Logic just isn't that convenient.
Its been so long since Ive been a Cubase user I forgot it had that option. Logic does have this feature but unfortunately I think it only works with Ultrabeat. If you have a track using Ultrabeat you can go into the piano roll and select View->Drum Names, and it will show you the name of the drums and actually square up the grid so it looks more like a Roland x0x style grid. I just tried it using both BFD 2 and iDrum on a track and it won't do it. It won't even do it if you load up a drum kit in EXS24.
Old 13th July 2016
  #398
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
I just really like the Cubase MIDI editor for programming drums. It's the only Cubase feature I miss after having made the switch to Logic. It's much more intuitive than Logic's piano roll and/or step editor and the whole workflow for programming drums is much easier there.
Switch Ultrabeat to Full View and it's just like the Cubase Drum Editor.
Once you're finished editing in Ultrabeat, drag and drop your MIDI pattern to a drum track, which I did to the EZDrummer 2 track.

In the green rectangle you can move each drum piece just like the Cubase Drum Editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Logic 11 - what do you want?-logicdrumeditor.jpg   Logic 11 - what do you want?-cubasedrumeditor.jpg  
Old 13th July 2016
  #399
Lives for gear
 
HoPMiX's Avatar
pans on sends... so many daws don't have this and I just don't understand.
Old 16th July 2016
  #400
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPMiX View Post
pans on sends... so many daws don't have this and I just don't understand.
When you add a SEND it creates an AUX channel which has your pan.
If you want to automate that pan, create a track for the AUX and you'll be able to automate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Logic 11 - what do you want?-pansend.jpg  
Old 16th July 2016
  #401
Gear Nut
An overhauled AU standard (Or VST integration... which may not happen
Old 17th July 2016
  #402
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
An overhauled AU standard (Or VST integration... which may not happen
Have you heard of AU-3?
Old 17th July 2016
  #403
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Have you heard of AU-3?
No - I'll check that
Old 20th July 2016
  #404
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
I want the old Channelstrip from L9 back, the channelstripmeter in LPX is to small the old one was much better.

And the Aux-Channel-Import should support to replace the aux-inserst from another project like it with audio or instruments works. Now it is only import or with create a new track possible wich is plain stupid!
Old 20th July 2016
  #405
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
Latency compensation on the timeline. Did I mention bugfixes? How about at least the long-filename bug? And the colors - bring back black and white to choose for regions in the colors - that can't be too difficult, huh?
Old 20th July 2016
  #406
Gear Nut
 
CafeEP's Avatar
Two things come to mind. My MIDI keyboard seems to frequently quit being recognized by Logic. Only a scan for new MIDI devices and re-start of logic seem to help.

You can't option drag a MIDI region onto another. For example option-drag a high-hat, onto a kick/snare region seems to replace/delete the kick/snare.
Old 20th July 2016
  #407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValliSoftware View Post
When you add a SEND it creates an AUX channel which has your pan.
If you want to automate that pan, create a track for the AUX and you'll be able to automate it.
Yes, but I think what he meant was another thing. You can pan the aux, but sometimes you have multiple tracks going to an aux and want to pan only one or a few. That would be cool to have!

Plus, personally I would love to have

1) the possibility to load more than one sample on each key on the Ultrabeat. I know I can use the EXS24 to do that, but then I would lose all the editing functions in the Ultrabeat which I use often.

2) "bounce in place" in mono. If I have a mono tracks with mono plugins and I want to bounce in place, it creates a stereo track unless I go crazy with the routing or record in realtime on a mono track. It's so bloody annoying. Or maybe there is an easy way and I just don't know?

3) Drummer more versatile. I would love to have some a jazz, reggae, extreme metal or dub drummer. Not that I'm complaining about the Drummer itself, I love it!

4) something like AudioSuite plugins in Pro Tools. I've always longed for that function!!
Old 20th July 2016
  #408
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeEP View Post
Two things come to mind. My MIDI keyboard seems to frequently quit being recognized by Logic. Only a scan for new MIDI devices and re-start of logic seem to help.

You can't option drag a MIDI region onto another. For example option-drag a high-hat, onto a kick/snare region seems to replace/delete the kick/snare.
This is what I do.

I set the Drag option in the upper right corner of the Tracks window on No Overlap.

I set a shortcut for Join Region/Notes (a simple cmd+J should work).

So I can drag a midi region onto another, press cmd+J and I have a merged MIDI region!
Attached Thumbnails
Logic 11 - what do you want?-screen-shot-2016-07-20-18.51.10.png   Logic 11 - what do you want?-screen-shot-2016-07-20-18.52.41.png  
Old 20th July 2016
  #409
Lives for gear
 
gutr2's Avatar
 

I don't know if it has been mentioned - probably my biggest annoyance is to not be able to drag / copy & paste "sends" form track to track.
I know there are work arounds, which I use, but they are just that.. work arounds..

Last edited by gutr2; 20th July 2016 at 07:42 PM..
Old 20th July 2016
  #410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutr2 View Post
I don't know if it has been mentioned - probably my biggest annoyance is to not be able to drag / copy & paste "sends" form track to track.
I know there are work arounds, which I used, but they are just that.. work arounds..
That I want too.
Old 21st July 2016
  #411
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
I want the old Channelstrip from L9 back, the channelstripmeter in LPX is to small the old one was much better.

And the Aux-Channel-Import should support to replace the aux-inserst from another project like it with audio or instruments works. Now it is only import or with create a new track possible wich is plain stupid!
Wait a sec. You can create and save a .cst with all the inserts for any AUX track, including sends, by clicking on the Settings tab at the top of the channel strip in the Mixer. Then you can load it up either from the Library or the same Settings tab.

Am I missing something?
Old 21st July 2016
  #412
Gear Addict
 
Doc No's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Wait a sec. You can create and save a .cst with all the inserts for any AUX track, including sends, by clicking on the Settings tab at the top of the channel strip in the Mixer. Then you can load it up either from the Library or the same Settings tab.

Am I missing something?
No, I'm talking about the import-function. I don't want save the channelstrip, I just want to import the inserts.
Old 21st July 2016
  #413
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeEP View Post
Two things come to mind. My MIDI keyboard seems to frequently quit being recognized by Logic. Only a scan for new MIDI devices and re-start of logic seem to help.

You can't option drag a MIDI region onto another. For example option-drag a high-hat, onto a kick/snare region seems to replace/delete the kick/snare.
Are you using a USB extention cord? Most USB controllers don't like that.

KA
Old 22nd July 2016
  #414
Lives for gear
 
MusiKLover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No View Post
No, I'm talking about the import-function. I don't want save the channelstrip, I just want to import the inserts.
Cool, everyone has a different workflow. I like having a .cst folder in AudioMusicApps with multiple folders based on Track Type, and sub-folders based on categories such as Dynamics, EQ, Comp, Saturation, Delay, Reverb, Channel Strip, AUX Sends, etc as it serves as one big Library that's always there, project-to-project, system-to-system if carried over. The whole folder is <20MB and can easily be transported via USB Stick, Dropbox or iCloud, or even as an email sent to yourself.

Patches are great, too, but primarily for VIs and you can include the AUX Sends, when they decide they want to work
Old 22nd July 2016
  #415
Lives for gear
I LOVE Track Stacks, so please Logic team...

..make it so that when I drag a track into a Track Stack, Logic will automatically color that newly dragged in track the same color as the Track Stack it was dragged into.
Old 22nd July 2016
  #416
Gear Nut
 
CafeEP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict View Post
Are you using a USB extention cord? Most USB controllers don't like that.

KA
I was considering trying 5-Pin MIDI cables, into a USB interface. But somebody else indicated they had the same problem, with 5 pin.

They were hoping the Minologue update would fix it.

Has 5 Pin fixed it for you?
Old 22nd July 2016
  #417
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
..make it so that when I drag a track into a Track Stack, Logic will automatically color that newly dragged in track the same color as the Track Stack it was dragged into.
I wish Track Stacks didn't look so ugly when closed.. i wish it looked like a waveform or similar!
Old 22nd July 2016
  #418
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I don't think you will ever see the ability to move tracks in the mixer.

I think it's the way the program was written and would require some serious reconstruction, same as Cubase, which doesn't let you either.

Must be a Euro thing.

You can in PT, DP, Studio 1, etc...
You also can in Bitwig, which is from Germany.
Old 22nd July 2016
  #419
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
I wish Track Stacks didn't look so ugly when closed.. i wish it looked like a waveform or similar!
I don't mind the way it looks at all. I tend to always zoom all the way out anyway so I'm just seeing a bunch of zoomed out regions most of the time.

Already mentioned, I too would love to be able to have a track stack in a Track Stack. For example, it would be great if I could group just the cymbals together or just the snares together within my drum Track Stack. Or all of my rhythm guitar tracks within my guitar Track Stack. You can actually do this in Bitwig and it's pretty awesome.
Old 22nd July 2016
  #420
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
You also can in Bitwig, which is from Germany.
But considerably newer than Cubase or Logic. I should have said..."An old Euro thing" lol
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump