The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 11 - what do you want? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
I think it's good they you can move both in Logic. But if you forget to enable the display of region colors for the events in Piano Roll, of course it can become messy.
Ohh! I've missed that one. Thanks!
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
...note that this is the old Logic 10 wish list, not the new Logic Pro 11 wish list. Poor Apple, it's 3200+ posts long.
A personal Top 40-ish list based on that Logic 10 thread:

Fast and easy export of either ALL or SELECTED tracks including aux's, busses etc.

A pan option for stereo tracks that is pan of each side, not balance, on the channel strip

Editors with multiple automation and multiple hyper edit lanes (as an option)

A new file format (using already existing functionality within the CAF format??): Multi-mic (multi-track) channels (channel strips)... and multitrack audio loops/recordings which appear visually as as *one* file until you double click them. This way, one could for instance create a four track file in one song and load it into another - with pan, levels etc intact.

Macro Key Commands

Independent tempos and time signatures per track, or - alternatively, an option for multiple, parallel times lines

Spectral/3D editing that lets you edit specific frequencies in a specific time position (Avalon did this on Atari)

AudioSuite style rendered effects /plugs per region

A smoothing tool to fix jagged lines/curves and/or add smooth, destructive edits in the sample editor

Score: proper support for articulation control for all string libraries

Score: "magnetic objects/layout" (and 'optimize layout) a la Sibelius

Score: better *automatic* transcription of played material that includes polyphony, meaning that voices and MIDI channels could be separated. Even MoTu's QuickScribe did things in this area e decade ago which Apple hasn't caught up with. This would probably mean the inclusion of a "voice number" parameter per MIDI note. (Unfortunately, polyphonic voices = MIDI channels in Logic today.)

User definable "Cues" for eg. movie work (group a bunch of objects, define them as a "Cue". Each of these cues could be displayed as a vertical or horizontal Tab in Arrange and have their own timeline tempo map and time signature list).

A Full Screen mode option - where sidebars (bin, event list, notes/Inspector/Tool Bar/Transport) pops up when the mouse touches the edge of the screen

Support for *global* (for all projects) preset name banks for external MIDI instruments

Two-Key key commands which eg. would let us type NL for "nudge left" (where "N" could server a a modifier for "L": hold N down and press L before you release N)

Auto-colorise options on markers, tracks, takes etc (which is on by default?)

The Strip Silence window should remember my settings - and also get zoom and scrolling functions, or become an Arrange feature.

More consistent undo support (eg. allow undo for stupid fader moves)

Improve the automatic interpretation of chord symbols (would of course need a (meaning: reintroduction the chord track!!)

Real Book style options for Chord Symbols, eg. C7 followed by (#9) and (b13) above each other (see above)

Ability to mark certain presets as "favourites"

32-bit audio file (WAV) support

Better quality when time-stretching

Allow all Sample Editor (and Flex Pitch and Flex Time) functions to happen directly in the arrange window.

Less confusing track naming. It got worse with LPX. Wish: reintroduce the track name function fully, and re-introduce the option to allow track names to always be shown in column 2 in the track list.

Fewer clicks needed to get whatever you want to do done (eg rename instrument names directly in score by double clicking on the instrument name)

Consolidate the Hyperdraw and automation confusion, and remove the problem with entering automation in two different ways (eg with the pencil tool and by enabling touch mode and moving a fader) resulting in two DIFFERENT para,eter lanes for the same parameter.

Tape saturation simulation

Tabs at the top of the plugin window to switch between pages in plug-in windows (or between different plugin son the same channel strip).

If Logic doesn't find a file, it shouldn't just use another file with the same name (especially without a warning. This happens if only one file with that name exists, and in LPX the warning has gone too).

Something akin to VST Expressions and Expression maps.

Better multi-core support - allowing one single recording track to use multiple cores.

Real-time pitch shifting, like in Ableton Live (for audio regions)

(Non-destructive) reverse of arrange regions (without affecting the original file)

Simplify the interface of some of the VI (EXS, Ultrabeat, Sculpture, etc.), way too bloated and spaceship looking.

---

Anyone here who is in the mood for compiling a list based on the 2900 last posts in that old thread? :-/
Old 21st July 2015
Pan on the sends
Old 21st July 2015
I wish the browser behaved like FL Studio/Ableton. It's a great update with some nice new features but they missed a lot of little things. A whole lot.
Old 21st July 2015
Gear Nut

Suspend automation of individual lanes.
Automation "write to beginning" and "write to end" feature
Easier way to make automation data time based instead of tempo based.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Addict

Audio preview in preview

I've just been working my way through my vast back catalogue of almost finished chart toppers, trying to decide which ones to finally dump

Unfortunately, because they go back over a couple of years, the names of the tracks no longer mean anything to me, so I have to open each one to hear a snippet of it. This can take a lot of time as each song has to load up into Logic before it can be played.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Logic automatically saved a "quick listen" version of each track you saved in your library? No need to load up into Logic itself.
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshamrover View Post
I've just been working my way through my vast back catalogue of almost finished chart toppers, trying to decide which ones to finally dump

Unfortunately, because they go back over a couple of years, the names of the tracks no longer mean anything to me, so I have to open each one to hear a snippet of it. This can take a lot of time as each song has to load up into Logic before it can be played.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Logic automatically saved a "quick listen" version of each track you saved in your library? No need to load up into Logic itself.
GarageBand could do this years ago and I'm very surprised that Logic still can't.
Old 24th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
That feature exists already in Logic Pro X v10.1

Move your mouse over the Automation Parameter Button in the Track Header. This will display a Power Button. Click to toggle that Automation on/off.

If you use Region Automation and you monitor the Automation Control Points in the Event List, then you can see a dot in the first "L" column on all the Fader Events that are disabled.

More on those Fader Event details in my recent Logic Blog: Fader Event- A MIDI Event Wannabe that you can find on my website www.LogicProGEM together with my other Logic tutorials.
Old 24th July 2015
Gear Addict
Stability!
Old 24th July 2015
Gear Nut

Clip gain (I know there is now clip volume but clip gain with the user feedback of waveform height in protools is darn useful and more intuitive. IMO

More accurate waveform editing in the arrange view, pro tools is still way better in this department. Fades as well Imo

Au plugin modulation matrix. Mix and blend or dry wet for any plugin.

Time for a updated sampler maybee one with p-locks or some idea similar.
Old 24th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
That feature exists already in Logic Pro X v10.1

Move your mouse over the Automation Parameter Button in the Track Header. This will display a Power Button. Click to toggle that Automation on/off.

You are right. I thought it was one button for the whole track all this time. Thanks! (That button shouldn't need a mouse over to be seen, annoying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you use Region Automation and you monitor the Automation Control Points in the Event List, then you can see a dot in the first "L" column on all the Fader Events that are disabled.

[IMG
http://DingDingMusic.com/files/WebFiles/EventListDot.png[/IMG]

More on those Fader Event details in my recent Logic Blog: Fader Event- A MIDI Event Wannabe that you can find on my website www.LogicProGEM together with my other Logic tutorials.
This I knew. I am referring to locking track automation without having to convert it to region automation.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you were not addressing the 'automation time base feature' with your second response.

Last edited by Frantz; 24th July 2015 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: mis-read
Old 24th July 2015
I want instrument, aux and audio channels share the same MIDI channel for the plugin slots. So you can copy the same plugin to the same slot, copy the automation data and you're done.
Old 24th July 2015
Quote:
Automation "write to beginning" and "write to end" feature
Easier way to make automation data time based instead of tempo based.

With "time based" i assume you mean that the Automation Control Points are locked to the Absolute Time (SMPTE) and not he Musical Time (Bar/Beat). There is one command that toggles that behavior. For Track Automation, you just have to open that special Automation Event List window to display the Automation Control Points:

Region Automation
How easy should it be: RIght now there are only two steps. Open the selected Automation Control Points in the Event List and choose the command "Lock SMPTE Position" (Key Command command+PageUp)

Track Automation
Open the selected Automation Control Points in the Automation Event List (Key Command control+command+E) and choose the command "Lock SMPTE Position" (Key Command command+PageUp)

I hope that is what you are referring to.
Old 25th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
With "time based" i assume you mean that the Automation Control Points are locked to the Absolute Time (SMPTE) and not he Musical Time (Bar/Beat). There is one command that toggles that behavior. For Track Automation, you just have to open that special Automation Event List window to display the Automation Control Points:

Region Automation
How easy should it be: RIght now there are only two steps. Open the selected Automation Control Points in the Event List and choose the command "Lock SMPTE Position" (Key Command command+PageUp)

Track Automation
Open the selected Automation Control Points in the Automation Event List (Key Command control+command+E) and choose the command "Lock SMPTE Position" (Key Command command+PageUp)

I hope that is what you are referring to.
That's exactly what I was referring to. It seemed cumbersome when I did it on a project but I didn't know about 'control+command+E'. Thanks again!
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's exactly what I was referring to. It seemed cumbersome when I did it on a project but I didn't know about 'control+command+E'. Thanks again!
There is also toggle key command for that. I have set it to number 3 on the extended apple keyboard.
Old 25th July 2015
Lives for gear

I would like to see

- stop reloading all kontakt based sample libraries after an audio preferences change or switching between open projects. (Learn from other daws)

- show/ filter tracks/ regions based on criteria (all under play head, muted, soloed etc)

- export stems in export menu and key command

Increase track count (it's 2015)
- 765 instrument tracks
- 765 audio tracks
- 765 Aux tracks
- 256 Busses

- Final Cut Pro inspired editing
- region fx
- slip editing on regions while holding down command + option
- tab to transient play head/ play marker on audio and midi regions without marquee
-
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
- stop reloading all kontakt based sample libraries after an audio preferences change or switching between open projects. (Learn from other daws)-
YEAH!
Old 31st July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
YEAH!
Out of the 3 DAWs I've running only Logic needs to do that.
Old 3rd August 2015
I'd like to have colors for the arrangement track lanes in the background, independent from the actual track color.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Pan on the sends
x1000

1. Pan on sends
2. rearrange tracks in the mixer
3. Pan on stereo tracks instead of balance
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
x1000

1. Pan on sends
2. rearrange tracks in the mixer
3. Pan on stereo tracks instead of balance
I don't think you will ever see the ability to move tracks in the mixer.

I think it's the way the program was written and would require some serious reconstruction, same as Cubase, which doesn't let you either.

Must be a Euro thing.

You can in PT, DP, Studio 1, etc...
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I don't think you will ever see the ability to move tracks in the mixer.

I think it's the way the program was written and would require some serious reconstruction, same as Cubase, which doesn't let you either.

Must be a Euro thing.

You can in PT, DP, Studio 1, etc...
You're probably right but I can still wish. Really give me pan on sends and I'd be happy.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
1- A more efficient audio engine (more responsive).
2- Fix those automation issues (specially the one where parameters only follow automation when there is a change).
3- Better metering and if possible like Pro Tools 11 HD being able to choose between different meters.
4- Bypassing all plug-ins in one channel with one go.
5- Bypassing a chosen plug-in row on all channels.
6- Bypassing all EQs or Dynamics or Reverbs or Delays in one go.
7- Chord track like Cubase 7.
8- Fix Flex Pitch and if possible polyphonic.
9- Being able to use Flex Pitch and Flex time on the same region.
10- EXS24 upgrade and also add Redmatica features to it.
11- Update some plug-ins and add oscilloscope.
12- I know they won't do it but I prefer the Pro Tools 11 mixer GUI.
13- Update the Environment (very powerful but needs an urgent makeover).
14- Multiple Controller Lanes in the Piano Roll Editor like Edgar also mentioned.
15- Move channels also in the mixer tab.
16- Routing audio to different outputs at the same time without having to use the sends.
17- Talkback (I know it can be done but would prefer to have it without going through all the hoops).
18- monitoring section.
19- Side chain trigger from soft instrument tracks.
20- Being able to add plug-ins to freezed tracks and change parameters on those present without remove freeze and re-freezing.
21- Auto tempo match option for files added to the project.
22- Stack Tracks within track stacks.
23- Better File editor.
23- Add features from waveburner now that it's been discontinued.
24- Being able to record to another track without having to stop playback.
25- Drawing clip gain like volume automation.
26- Print plug-ins to regions.
27- Proper note expression.
28- Having a channel window like Touch OSC on the Logic Remote iPad App (you can control petty much anything including plug-ins).
29- Batch creating Apple Loops better than the Apple Loops Utility and also the possibility to do it from within Logic itself.
30- Plug-Ins organised by type and/or developer choice.
31- Soloing a track without having to also solo the side chain trigger track.
32- Phase-Aligning multiple tracks like Waves InPhase plug-in.
9, 14 and 27 are my favourites on that list. Are you still using Logic?
Old 4th August 2015
Here for the gear

my favourites on that list next 11

1- Flex edit region base
2-Spectral edit region base
3-"Bounce to Place" Select Multiple Regions (each Separately)
4-region base aux and insert
5-Transparent audio regions like every other DAW
6-Quick fadeS shortcut for audio region (shortcut ASDFGH)
7-Multi touch support For Slate Digital RAVEN MTI/MTX
8-multiple view all ch plugins inside "DOCK window"
9-load / save all mixer settings without project.
10-Strip Silence Multi track (at time)
11-Scrolling Waveforms (mixer)
12-Crossfade menu
13-"new" redmetica sampler
14-FX(effect) = Morphing/Glitch/Grain tools for (sound designer)
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

Here's a list that would change my day to day life the most, off the top of my head.... with some ideas stolen from what i’ve read!

1) ‘Realtime bounce in place’ - i.e. when using external instruments or the I/O plugin - this would be a life changer for me!

2) Bounce in place for multiple regions

3) Latency compensated GUI?

4) Somehow leverage Metal in 10.11 to make the interface way more responsive in general

5) MIDI OUT for AU instruments! Would make using Maschine way easier.

6) Less RAM usage when using Flex Time and (more specifically) Flex Pitch. As soon as i start messing with it in large projects, my 9-10GB project can jump up to 24GB or even 48GB(!) easily. I only have 24GB of ram

7) Ability to open multiple flex time windows… helps tuning when vocals and/with harmonies

8) Bypassing all plug-ins on a channel with one click

9) ALL FLEXTIME BUGS FIXED! No weird artefacts on quieter sounds (breath noises, headphone bleed, sibilance), and no changing/affecting non-flex pitched audio. This things require me chopping the audio into thousands of regions and turning flex on/off. Which leads me to…

10) Bug - when a project contains LOTS of audio regions (which comes from chopping up audio for de-essing and flex time artefacts workarounds), often Logic won’t select just one - it selects multiple regions, some of which are off screen if you’re zoomed in! So you delete just one, but some off screen regions have been deleted! Outrageous…

11) Logic crashes if i leave the machine until the screen sleeps, or if i use full screen mode. I thought it was my GFX card, but it’s done it on 2 machines now. I’m using two screens and i think it’s related to using the second screen.

12) Clip gain handles so you don’t have to go over to the inspector to change gain.

13) Better multi-core support - allowing one single recording track to use multiple cores.

14) iPad Logic control app via USB - no lag, no connection problems.

15) Allow buffer size changes without reloading the project...
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Here's a list that would change my day to day life the most, off the top of my head.... with some ideas stolen from what i’ve read!

14) iPad Logic control app via USB - no lag, no connection problems.
This ^^^ BIG Time!!!!!
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

UNLINK THE MIXER FROM THE MAIN WINDOW PLEASE!
and end the GUI lag
and controller lanes (from the step editor) under the piano roll as an alternative to midi draw

anything else is nitpicking
Old 1st September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_deli View Post
UNLINK THE MIXER FROM THE MAIN WINDOW PLEASE!
That'd be a wonder if they implement such thing... I still hope for wonders.

Quote:
and end the GUI lag
Never had any GUI lag... strange.

Meanwhile I still want the customizable color palette back.
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That'd be a wonder if they implement such thing... I still hope for wonders.
Like in Logic 9 and earlier???

Quote:
Never had any GUI lag... strange.
You've seen the other thread though at the top of this forum?

Old 2nd September 2015
Quote:
Like in Logic 9 and earlier???

You've seen the other thread though at the top of this forum?

Nope, I haven't seen that. Like I said, strange that some people are affected. Others not.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search