The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Logic Pro X Channel EQ
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

New Logic Pro X Channel EQ

The new Logic Pro X (10.0.5) channel EQ

I really like the sound of the new Logic EQ. I haven't done A/B tests yet, but it seems smoother to me. I always liked the old Logic 9 Channel EQ for small quick moves, but never for critical EQing. For the last while, I've been using FabFilter Pro-Q as my primary software EQ. I was hoping that the new Logic X Channel EQ could be my new do everything EQ, but my biggest problem with it, seems to be the controls.

I like the look and the sound, but I'm having problem with the new control scheme.

• I don't know why they moved the gain fader from the left to the right side, but I could relearn that.

• I hate the they buried the Oversample mode switch in under a sub window

• Logic 9 EQ was able to change the "Q" by holding down the 'option' key. This is a BIG problem with the X eq. Now you have to grab it's brackets and drag left/right, but often the mouse moves over to the next EQ band, and misses the brackets. If they put the 'option' Q-grab control, back, that'll be a BIG fix to me.

I'm going to do some sound A/B's today, but I'd love to hear others findings / opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
New Logic Pro X Channel EQ-eq9.jpeg   New Logic Pro X Channel EQ-eqx.jpg  
Old 12th January 2014
Gear Addict
yes, please put MOUSE FUNCIONALITY back into the EQ...
wheel -> Q!
Old 12th January 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Sounds the same to me, i.e. not great.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Yep, another 2 steps forward 3 steps back scenario.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

does anybody know how to adjust the Q ,you used to just grab the dot ......can't do it that anymore, or am I just missing something ??
Old 13th January 2014
nas
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Have you tried the oversampling feature? ... it supposedly improves the clarity of the highs and low end filtering. Could be a little bit of a placebo or too subtle to make a difference but may be worth checking out.

I use DMG Equilibrium anyway and that to me is pretty much all I need in a software EQ... at least for the time being.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
does anybody know how to adjust the Q ,you used to just grab the dot ......can't do it that anymore, or am I just missing something ??
You have to drag on the Q width bracket, which I find hard to grab quickly. Not as good as the old way of doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
New Logic Pro X Channel EQ-screen-shot-2014-01-13-10.52.00-am.jpg  
Old 13th January 2014
send them some feedback they may sort it out...
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post

• Logic 9 EQ was able to change the "Q" by holding down the 'option' key. This is a BIG problem with the X eq. Now you have to grab it's brackets and drag left/right, but often the mouse moves over to the next EQ band, and misses the brackets. If they put the 'option' Q-grab control, back, that'll be a BIG fix to me.
Try Option+Command
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

seeren, you're my hero!

Option+Command controls the Q!
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Nut

With OS switched in (which should be a default, now) the new EQ sounds really very good - excellent in fact. You should try it; it's definitely not a placebo.

I've also found the analyser to be much clearer and more useful in the new Ch EQ.
Old 17th January 2014
Jus
Lives for gear

The analyzer is very precise.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

uses loads of cpu here, i often get pops and clicks when using the analyser
Old 26th January 2014
Lives for gear

curious if they improved the 'performance' of the HPF on Channel EQ for ver. X...
could some one do a quick test for me ?
download the attached test file and apply a HPF @ 20 Hz, 12db/oct, Q=.71, and render a 24 bit .wav file (no dither)
(with and without oversampling, 44.1 kHz sr)
thanks
Attached Files

1378_1664.wav (2.27 MB, 6952 views)

Old 26th January 2014
Gear Addict

Done.
Attached Files

1378_1664 Without Oversampling.wav (4.55 MB, 9168 views)

1378_1664 With Oversampling.wav (4.55 MB, 9058 views)

Old 26th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Can't you click and drag the value of the "Q"? Not on the graphic but on the number.
Old 26th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Dan View Post
Done.
cool, thanks.
when i download, the 'without oversampling' file is blank, but the 'with oversampling' is fine.
can you re-upload 'without oversampling' ?
thanks.
Old 26th January 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers View Post
cool, thanks.
when i download, the 'without oversampling' file is blank, but the 'with oversampling' is fine.
can you re-upload 'without oversampling' ?
thanks.
Sure, here we go.
Attached Files

1378_1664 Without Oversampling2.wav (4.55 MB, 9102 views)

Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

oh good, thanks for doing that...
the Channel EQ HPF in ver. X does seems to behave differently than ver. 9.
(improvement)

with or without oversampling, doesn't make much of a difference for this brief test...
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post
Can't you click and drag the value of the "Q"? Not on the graphic but on the number.
Yes, but that's slow, when I'm in the heat of battle. Option+Command works on the graphic though.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
send them some feedback they may sort it out...

Stop teasing.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas View Post
Have you tried the oversampling feature? ... it supposedly improves the clarity of the highs and low end filtering. Could be a little bit of a placebo or too subtle to make a difference but may be worth checking out.
Lows?
Oversampling just moves the aliasing filter up further away from audible range. That's all. It's normally pretty subtle, as we can only hear on average to about 16k to start with. It's mosquito-fart territory, and all waveforms sound like a sinewave above about 6k anyhow.

It gets downsampled again on the way out.

Otherwise, as far as I know there is one way to make clean EQ in computing. (Ignoring all colour EQ's that add saturation and non-linear effects, or changing the Q-to-Gain scheme, which is a setup issue - not sound).
If the EQ is clean, I'm not sure how it COULD differ from it's previous version, apart from the oversampling?

The only real way to test is ABX. As, if we are expecting it to be different, it will be to our ears, obviously.
Old 4th February 2014
Lives for gear

One answer to all this... DMG Equilibrium
Old 5th February 2014
nas
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom View Post
Lows?
Oversampling just moves the aliasing filter up further away from audible range. That's all. It's normally pretty subtle, as we can only hear on average to about 16k to start with. It's mosquito-fart territory, and all waveforms sound like a sinewave above about 6k anyhow.

It gets downsampled again on the way out.
Yes you're right... my intention was to indicate the overall improvements in the new Logic EQ with oversampling improving high end clarity and with "double precision processing" supposedly providing more accuracy of low-end filtering. I mistakenly mentioned low-end improvement with the oversampling which was not my original intention.
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

No worries...
I just have quite an interest in how these things work - and how people think they work... and what companies claim about how they work. (Not saying I'm an authority, just that I'm interested).

So many people do seem to worry so much about certain quality in EQs, then it turns out they're using them on synthetic or highly processed/effected sources and on masked or buried elements of the mix...

I do wonder whether we will be able to hear "double precision processing", what does it mean?
Again, I'd love to hear some simple files to ABX.
'Cos IME so far, nobody can reliably tell clean EQs apart once they are set up "the same" (matched). I choose them according to implementation/function.
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

here's a screenshot comparing the channel eq. HPF of logic X vs. 9
HPF @ 20 Hz on a 1,664.25 Hz sine wave @ -6 dBFS (44.1/24)...
green = ver. X (file from mini-dan, i do not have logic x)
red = ver. 9

for ver. 9, note the level of 'error' on the -6 dBFS sine wave is under -90 dBFS @ 20 Hz and gets lower as freq goes upwards. i assume this would be inaudible...
Attached Thumbnails
New Logic Pro X Channel EQ-logicxvslogic9.jpg  
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

A small thread necro, but I am just after filing the following feature request for Logic Pro X's Channel EQ:

"Hi guys,

First off; great job on Logic Pro X! It keeps getting better with every update. The thing I miss greatly in the Channel EQ (and linear phase EQ for that matter) is the ability to adjust the Q setting with the mouse wheel wile hovering over the EQ puck for a specific band.

Also, for fine increment adjustments we have to use the Command key instead of the Shift key. For the rest of Logic's plugins it's the Shift key. I would like to see that in the Channel and Linear EQ as well. To keep things uniform.

On that matter: Logic's compressor has no modifier assigned at all to make fine increment adjustments. There I would love to see the use of the Shift key implemented as well."

Just sent that through the feedback page. Fingers crossed and pray that they will implement it. It is the only thing that keeps me going to 3rd party EQ plugins. It's the ease of use and speed that a small feature like this adds. Otherwise I would be only using Logic's own EQ. It sounds good enough to me.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
A small thread necro, but I am just after filing the following feature request for Logic Pro X's Channel EQ:

"Hi guys,

First off; great job on Logic Pro X! It keeps getting better with every update. The thing I miss greatly in the Channel EQ (and linear phase EQ for that matter) is the ability to adjust the Q setting with the mouse wheel wile hovering over the EQ puck for a specific band.

Also, for fine increment adjustments we have to use the Command key instead of the Shift key. For the rest of Logic's plugins it's the Shift key. I would like to see that in the Channel and Linear EQ as well. To keep things uniform.

On that matter: Logic's compressor has no modifier assigned at all to make fine increment adjustments. There I would love to see the use of the Shift key implemented as well."

Just sent that through the feedback page. Fingers crossed and pray that they will implement it. It is the only thing that keeps me going to 3rd party EQ plugins. It's the ease of use and speed that a small feature like this adds. Otherwise I would be only using Logic's own EQ. It sounds good enough to me.
It's really great you put this request in! In the meantime, I've been really getting better acquainted with both Logic's Channel & Linear EQs, as well as Ableton's EQ-8, which Fab Filter is allegedly emulating on some levels, though that's another story outside the scope of this thread.

The EQs are great for parametric and surgical! Though I agree using the "motions" or whatever they're called (gestures?) totally would add value; as is you can optimize your control of Q as follows, and you may or may not be using this aspect of the plugins:

New Logic Pro X Channel EQ-chennel-eq-adj.jpg

One thing to note, too, is the that the asymmetric settings feature a stronger coupling for negative gain values than for positive values, so the perceived bandwidth is more closely preserved when you cut, rather than boost, gain.

Given I prefer to first cut, then boost if need be, I choose this option.

Rather than going the Fab or DMG route for essentially better looking parametric EQs with a few more features, I opted for TDR's Slick-M and Slick-GE, both of which are heavily discounted if purchased as a bundle.

The GE version* is great, absolutely great for old school eq with or w/o saturation based on different algos (one thing we really do not have in Logic,) whereas the M version adds a ton of additional bells and whistles including the ability to simulate parametric, though it's r'aison d'etre is more mastering or late mixing. Both (together) are roughly 1/3 the price of Fab or DMG.

* Note: the Free TDR SlickEQ is similar to the GE version, too, and includes several different emulations with saturation. Highly recommended!

* Note 2: I generally like to check both Peak & RMS, and lately have been using pre-fader metering almost exclusively, so similar to the Metering plugins, possibly having the ability to see both curves together would be beneficial. Perhaps I'll put a request in for this too. This could get "messy," so there's nothing holding me back from just having two I suppose, and RMS could apply more to the Linear EQ in some instances, though not all; some instantiations of the Linear EQ should should show peak levels.

I could be wrong, but I know there was always a Mid view, but it looks like there is now a consolidated Side view too (I believe there used to only be L & R? Correction: L/R only applied to Stereo Mode, and irrespective the models are quite capable of M/S processing. Perhaps the compressor -- and the multipressor with more updates built in such as circuit type -- could be extended to encapsulate this aspect, similar to Brainworx, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
New Logic Pro X Channel EQ-chennel-eq-adj.jpg  

Last edited by MusiKLover; 29th July 2016 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: add clarifying note and correction
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Still waiting for mouse wheel support in adjusting the Q of a frequency node in Logic's Channel EQ. Holding the Command + Option just is not the same as you still drag the frequency around whilst doing so.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search