The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Macbook pro Haswell 13 vs 15 inch
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut
Macbook pro Haswell 13 vs 15 inch

Hi guys,

I'm going to be getting a retina macbook pro this week and I'm wondering if you guys can help me decide which one to get!

There's the 13inch which has better battery life and is cheaper but the 15 inch has 16gb RAM.
The macs will be used for Logic Pro X partnered with Komplete 9... so yes a lot of VSTs
Does anyone know if there is still the scaling issue on the 13inch retina with Logic Pro X or has it been fixed?

All replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict
If you have the cash for the 15 inch MBP, get this one.

It is significantly faster because of the 4 cores/8 threads. Logic is optimized for large screens, so the larger the screen the better.

My 15 inch MBP is borderline small, the 13 inch screen would definitely be too small for my taste.

And the 16 Gb upgrade is warmly recommended. 8 Gb is probably enough for most arrangements today, but it might not be in 2-3 years.
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

Hi out there,

i am also in decision for buying an 15" macbook pro (for music production and dj'ing).

At the moment i am using a sony vaio with 6gb ram and i7 dualcore. But reaching system limits quite often, so i have to run with low audio bitrate while playing live.

By exploring the apple site i found one difference on the two available 15" macbbok pro.
Apple - MacBook*Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications

model one (1.999,00 € ) has got no extra grafic card
model two (2.599,00 € ) got n extra grafic card in additon to Intel onboard...

what do you think is better?

is it better to stay with onboard (perhaps lower heat and lower fan noise..)?

greets from germany!
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grown View Post

I just got the model two, and most of the time it's not using the Nvidia graphics. I use Ableton so I don't know about Logic specifically, but if you're not doing video sync or editing and you're using only OS X, it should use the Intel onboard most of the time.

There has been a problem with OS X Mavericks (10.9) where for some applications it chooses the Nvidia graphics when it doesn't need to. I believe this is fixed now. There's a tool called GfxCardStatus which lets you force to use the integrated graphics.

The Intel onboard should be plenty to handle Logic - can anyone verify?

Be aware if you're planning to load Windows on the higher end Retina, Windows will always use the Nvidia graphics - it runs hotter, has fan noise, and worse than half the battery life.

So if you don't need to do video
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

thanks for reply,

i do also use ableton. i'm sorry, didn't see the original post was in logic subforum.

I dont do any video stuff.

i was just wondering if there is any benefit for audio with oder without the additional grafics..

in pricing ther is no difference - what is that? by the way..
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Another vote for the 15" MBPr with i7. I'm using one and it's definitely worth it.
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Maniac
I use a 13" MBA, with 8GB of RAM, but I have a 24" monitor in my office/studio. I like the trade-off of having a super light machine when carrying it, but having a nice monitor at home.
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Nut
13 inch retina (512gb)
komplete 9 on external drive.
screen size may seem small but I don't mind it...
if you want portability the 13 is very good at that. not at all heavy
Old 27th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I dont do any video stuff.

i was just wondering if there is any benefit for audio with oder without the additional grafics..
I work in IT... There shouldn't be any reason, but the rule I use with any IT stuff is "unless I've seen it working" I don't trust it yet. If you don't know for sure it will work, then you're the tester! Especially with audio stuff, because I don't know what converter you're using, how many channels, what plugins, etc.

I haven't done any audio on my MBPr yet... Do you know anyone who has a MBPr you can test on?
Old 27th November 2013
Here for the gear

Smile

Quote:
Hi out there,

By exploring the apple site i found one difference on the two available 15" macbbok pro.
Apple - MacBook*Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications

greets from germany!
Hi there,
my very personal priority list for performing audio laptop:
1- processor power multicore
2- memory
3- fast hard drive
4- big enough hard drive
5- external monitor support
5- battery survival time

with the extra 600 Euro would pay for the +8 Gb Ram and and the doubled SSD capacity that do matter.
Evaluation:
- when mixing and processing audio (with 20+ tracks and 50+ native plugins), processor speed and multicore/multithreading is top importance
- larger RAM (especially now that is soldered and not upgradable on MBPr) would also be present and future proof for every 64bit apps that can use it
- SSD: can't get anything better/faster, it's then a matter of evaluating how much space is typically required for your activities, without using external drive
- In terms of external monitor support, if the specs are correct from the apple site, there would be no difference plugging in 1 or 2 extra monitors - with or without the extra graphic card
- battery survival only. Tracking, mixing and playing is to be done under line power, so battery would be secondary. anyway it's impossible to find on the market any laptop with these specs with longer lasting battery.

End of the line:
- I typically buy at any point in time the best available - highest specs unless upgradeable from cheaper - and keep it long term under support - 3+ years. This approach has worked so far (10+ years).

cheers from Switzerland
Old 11th January 2014
Here for the gear

The question really is: Is bigger better?
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafiz View Post
The question really is: Is bigger better?
When using a multi-threaded app it IS.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...hmarktest.html

Check out the comments of the owners of the 13-inch models after running the test.

Newer models are the more recent threads.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search