The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic X in Mavericks
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Logic X in Mavericks

So, Mavericks (OS 10.9) was released today...for free!

Who'll be brave and let us know if Logic X plays nicely?
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

...and please let us know computer model / year. Thanks.
Old 22nd October 2013
downloading right now. i have no fear
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Working fine on my 2013 Imac, no apparent differences with LogicX yet
Old 23rd October 2013
Works fine on 2011 Macbook pro 2.2 ghz i7 8 gb ram
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

I'm just waiting until I have the time to re-authorize the plugins that will need it.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut
Installed Mavericks, no issues.
Ran Logic X - 10.0.3, scanned 108 Audio Units
Crashed Logic on Authorizing the Korg Legacy Plug-ins
Restarted Logic
Bypassed those plug-ins
Logic completed scanning Audio Units.

Last project came up fine.
I'll re-authorize the Korg plug-ins tomorrow.

So far, so good.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscan View Post
Installed Mavericks, no issues.
Ran Logic X - 10.0.3, scanned 108 Audio Units
Crashed Logic on Authorizing the Korg Legacy Plug-ins
Restarted Logic
Bypassed those plug-ins
Logic completed scanning Audio Units.

Last project came up fine.
I'll re-authorize the Korg plug-ins tomorrow.

So far, so good.
Cool, thanks for the report-

Curious, did you do a dirty install (over existing operating system)?

I've generally found that OS updates seem to break some (not all) of the plugin copy protection schemes until you reauthorize, even on a dirty install with all previous files in place.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

To the brave ones:
If you still have Logic 7 on your system, please let us know if that still works too. I keep it for all my old projects and don't want to risk losing it.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Logic X works fine on my Mac Mini. YMMV

EDIT: Seems recording through my 2i2 does NOT work in Logic X while it does work for sure in PT 10. So far the down count is 1 Tascam US-1800, Studio One 2 2.6 & Logic X. Not tested Cubase 7 yet.

EDIT 2 Thankfully I never throw anything away. My old Lexicon Lambda works just fine in Mavericks with Logic & PT 10. Cubase 7 & Studio One still no go.
Old 23rd October 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

One question: After you've completed the download, does it install itself automatically or do you see a prompt, asking whether or not you want to install?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
I Think the real question here is does Maverick solve any of the problems many have been having in Logic X running under Mountain lion. Clicks and Pops, Poor GUI performance. Lags and Bugs? When I have sessions with alot of Flexed tracks, all kind of problems occur including crashes. This with plenty of CPU available!

So, anyone upgrade to Maverick and seen improvement?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

I've been getting frequent crashes while editing midi in the Piano roll since installing Mavericks...
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
still on logic 9.. wondering if it is a good fit?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
One question: After you've completed the download, does it install itself automatically or do you see a prompt, asking whether or not you want to install?
It brings up an install window, doesn't do anything else until you click and select the drive to install on. Easy enough to save a copy of the installer or even quit out of it and run the installer app later.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm finding an increase in crashes Logic X and Kontakt standalone in 10.9. 10.9 seems to make Logic X more sensitive to shaky plugins that might otherwise worked ok on 10.8.5.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Logic Pro X seems more CPU efficient under Mavericks!

At first, I thought it was my imagination but it is running like butter. I wonder if the new "Compressed Memory" feature is doing this or if there has been improvement in hyper threading?

On my website in the Listen page, there is a piece called "Diabolique". It is using a bunch of Hollywood stuff on my slave PC in VE Pro and Kontakt stuff in VE Pro on my Mac.

In the past when I opened it, it would take a couple of play thoughs to settle in and even then I would occasionally at the biggest section get a system overload message. Not a lot, but occasionally. Now, first play through and subsequent replays, perfect!

As you can probably tell, I am pretty excited.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post

At first, I thought it was my imagination but it is running like butter. I wonder if the new "Compressed Memory" feature is doing this or if there has been improvement in hyper threading?

On my website in the Listen page, there is a piece called "Diabolique". It is using a bunch of Hollywood stuff on my slave PC in VE Pro and Kontakt stuff in VE Pro on my Mac.

In the past when I opened it, it would take a couple of play thoughs to settle in and even then I would occasionally at the biggest section get a system overload message. Not a lot, but occasionally. Now, first play through and subsequent replays, perfect!

Were you experiencing any GUI/Response Lag issues or Flex/Piano roll editing
issues before the upgrade? Or was your system stable? 10.8.5 has made my set up less stable and others have experienced this too.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post

Improved multiprocessor suport was mentioned quite a bit in the first demonstration at the WWDC, I believe.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Experiencing better cpu use here also. And i have 16 gigs of ram so the compresed memory thing is probably not what's helping here.
Old 23rd October 2013
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly View Post
It brings up an install window, doesn't do anything else until you click and select the drive to install on. Easy enough to save a copy of the installer or even quit out of it and run the installer app later.
Cheers.
Old 23rd October 2013
late 2011 17" macbook pro 2.4ghz intel core i7, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, 1tb hdd

all audio apps (including lpx) work fine
all video apps work fine
matter of fact all my apps work fine.

so far i have not seen any performance increase, but i'm still testing. i absolute love the new activity monitor and the improvements to finder.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

I'd like to remind everyone that patch 10.0.4 is out now, so please install that and let us know how your LPX is holding up!
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcon View Post
I'd like to remind everyone that patch 10.0.4 is out now, so please install that and let us know how your LPX is holding up!
Thanks for the heads up.
Watch for the launchpad icon in the dock bounce when the update is done, then open launchpad and the updated app icon has stars floating around it. So unexpected it made me smile a bit.

I have an early 2008 mac pro with a new OWC pci exilerator ssd card for my boot drive. Mavericks and Logic X make it feel like a brand new machine. I now want to buy an iPad to use logic remote on it.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

downloading now...really hoping for improved GPU performance...
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Celemony Melodyne Studio 3.2 doesn't work anymore under Mavericks!!
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Had read somewhere else about dual monitor issues with Maverick. Is this just when using Apple Tv for a second monitor or also when using the mini port out for second monitor ? Thanks
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

No problem with two monitors here.
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

No problems here! Have been working with a couple of rather complex projects for several hours today. No crashes. Very smooth. Probably a bit more effecient than Mountain Lion - could be perception, though. Third party plugins: Waves + Spectrasonics.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Seems more stable with Mavericks. Just be sure to click the prevent nap box on all the audio related apps. I also disabled notification center and dashboard in the terminal.
There are still some CPU spikes though but not enough to make the playback stop and occasionally when playing if you touch too many things in the UI there are some clicks but it's not all over there.
Still have Logic 9 on a Lion partition just in case. FYI did a fresh install on another partition which is the best practice when installing a new OS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search