The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your opinion on Hackintosh? Suited for Logic X?
Old 11th December 2015
Gear Maniac

...large speed improvements on installing 10.11.2 for both video and load times...there may also be an improvement on core use.../s~
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence View Post
a place to take in your computer if there's a problem.
.. and pay alot of money whereas you can solve issues of a self built PC youself. Try to change the SSD of a iMac

Quote:
A Mac is designed to be a computer you don't have to think about.
Tell that all the guys with burned out GraphicCards of the Macbook Pros.
Or the fooled guys who bought the iMac 5k with LOUD fans.

Quote:
I spent a great deal of time this spring setting up a hackintosh drive just to try it out. It's a lot of work and it's not worth the time.
The installation of OS X was faster than upgrading to Windows 10 here.

The only downside of Hackintosh imo is to get support from Software Companies, especially if you report bugs...
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post

Plug in a compatible Optical drive, hard drive, and they are recognized.
A PC must first be configured in the Bios.

In which year have you made this Experience?
Today you can Plugin any SSD or Optical Drive without even touching the BIOS
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post

Plug in a compatible Optical drive, hard drive, and they are recognized.
A PC must first be configured in the Bios.

Try adding a SSD to an iMac :")
In which year have you made this Experience?
Today you can Plugin any SSD or Optical Drive without even touching the BIOS
Old 29th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
There might not be a way to do it from the UI, but if the CPU is unlocked, you might be able to do it by changing things on the motherboard. You could also swap out parts. Not that it's a good idea, but the point is that it's all just PC hardware.
Yes, and you might be aware, but iFixit's whole business model is focused on enabling you to tear down your Mac / iPhone / iPad & replace the parts yourself.

It's definitely an interesting proposition, particularly on the larger iMacs, and especially the new Retina Models. However, you can change the CPU, GPU, HDD to SSD, Fusion to SSD, etc. Just make sure you put as big, both Gig-wise & physical size-wise, an SSD as possible and the best CPU / GPU you can afford. I don't think you'd want to make this a habit, though if you like to tinker, this rec is pretty moot.

If you already have an iMac, IMO this would be the "first line of offense." If things don't go well, then I'd attempt to build ground-up. However, all the pieces are in place for a quicky & easy fix. Maybe a few hours, but certainly faster than building it from scratch.

If you are really tech savvy, though, the more arduous path of building your own "fresh" is the way to go. You then have the ultimate free reign, including a more powerful video and/or built in sound card, I believe.
Old 13th January 2017
Here for the gear

Talking hackintosh and logic pro x 10.2.4

so i have mac pro 12 core and an asus a55v with i7 core 8 giga ram and 1 tera ssd...i installed on it osx sierra and logic pro and protools 12.5 ...i'm impressed by the performance of logic and protools..no problems..i use audient and apollo hardwares...hackintosh cost.....very very low price ..it' s a very good alternative ....macbook pro very high price...the result is the same...i love hackbook pro
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

It's all good.

I was having a bad relationship with my i5 Hack.

I was going to whip it, into shape,
new enclosure, all that jazz. But then
I met an Intel Xeon mac pro and fell in love ...

And then I wanted the best PC ever made: A 12 core dual Xeon 5,1.

To keep my i7-4790K company. It's all good.

I built a remote into the i7 to change colors.

This is not a photoshop collage, it's a Screen capture. OsX and Windows apps on one desktop.

Does Logic pro X run? Runs better than ever in a mixed environment. Mo' choices, mo' CPUs.

Last edited by Fernand; 16th January 2017 at 02:41 AM..
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

To anyone contemplating a hackintosh build. If you don't have at least one mac, or (better) at least one already fully functional hack, you are in for some frayed nerves. Yes, there are guides and apps to facilitate. The issue is having working references and file sources when things go wrong.

There are worse and more terrifying things than having the one and only hack you work on refuse to boot, but not many.

Apple has been very smart not to make it harder, because ultimately hack owners end up getting at least one mac. Not to speak of buying software. And the word of mouth that hack builders pass on to the newbies: unless you have a lot of spare time, a real need, nerves of steel and a lot of PC and Mac skills, you're better off doing other things.

What happened to me to today was a lesson. I installed some open source thing called Jack. It said to reboot afterwards. Easier said than done. And that's when I remembered I was already riding on my spare tire, i.e. starting up with only one bootable SSD.

I wanted to tell the long story short. But every time I tried, I found myself writing an Edgar Allen Poe or HP Lovecraft story, and deleting it. So let's just say it's a good thing to be hardened by previous experience. A running hack works great. It's not "emulating" anything. It's just an Intel CPU running an Intel OS. No compatibility issues. Logic Pro and Final Cut and all that jazz. Wide selection of inexpensive and high performance hardware. ... And an occasional heart attack when it boots into the grey Kernel Panic, the equivalent of the Windows Blue Screen Of Death.

Last edited by Fernand; 24th January 2017 at 12:05 PM..
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
And an occasional heart attack when it boots into the grey Kernel Panic, the equivalent of the Windows Blue Screen Of Death.
If you are using clover don't you still have a *safe* EFI on your boot usb?
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I'm still using chimera. And the reason is because making the change involves time and another learning curve. That's a typical constraint. Every change requires a safari.

Hacks are an important part of the Apple landscape, I hope Apple appreciates that. I have 3 macs that I would never have gotten if I hadn't started with a Hack. A mac is just a customized PC. Per the OP's question Logic runs the same, in my case faster than on my macs.

But to be fair, inexperienced people shouldn't jump into building a Hack counting on a plug and play walk in the park. A used mac is a more direct low cost solution.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

A hack is an excellent way for people with enough time on their hands to learn OS X on a level that many power users may never achieve. This is much the same as with other things we have available on the Internet, for those with the time and patience you can delve in and learn a great deal, but for those who are Busy and productive the added effort and time wasted is not worth the effort compared to the loss of productivity.
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Maniac

The last Hackintosh I built was fine with most programs. I installed DP and Cubase and both ran OK. Then I installed Logic X and, if I had a QT video loaded, Logic would crash as soon as I hit play. Obviously, a problem in how Quicktime is embedded in Logic. I think I tried running a copy of Pro Tools and it didn't like my Hack either. So, in total desperation, as I had an imminent project to start on (and didn't want to lose the gig, which happened to be the score for an indie film), I bit the bullet and bought a 12-core trashcan Mac Pro. Albeit reluctantly, as it cost way too much money (a proverbial "arm and a leg"), I must say it runs everything like a dream (Pro Tools HDX, Logic, DP, Cubase, etc...). So, in the end, money well spent. But I'll try doing another Hackintosh at some stage, as I've got 3 rack-mounted PC's as VEP slave machines sitting around not doing much, so one of them could be a nice MIDI-only sequencing rig with perhaps DP, by replacing motherboard, CPU and a new video card. Worth a shot, but I wouldn't make it my bread and butter rig, if you know what I mean. Some folks do, I'd like to know exactly how they go about it. My last one was a Tonymac-spec one, maybe there's a better way to build one. Any suggestions?
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by formusic View Post
Some folks do, I'd like to know exactly how they go about it. My last one was a Tonymac-spec one, maybe there's a better way to build one. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you didn't have QE/CI working- if you did a tonymac golden build, did you use a different video card?

My main machine is a 5960x that is in use around 80 hours a week (3 people), and I have a full clone of it as a backup and home machine. It's faster than the 12c trashcan (36k GB3 and probably mid 400's on evan logic benchmark if it scales from 88.2) and costs about 2k excluding however many SSD's you need...

I think the main keys to success are first, hot-swap front panel drive bays for easy/regular cloning. 2nd, the patience to not put it into service until it's tested working, and 3rd the willingness to replace some parts if need be. Also I use as little onboard mobo stuff as possible, and then use OOB/native PCIe cards or USB addons.

It is an investment of time up front- but it also saves me a ton of time because I can keep boot clones and then clone and swap one boot drive to the other. So I only install the latest Komplete once and clone it to the other machine. And if someone erased my boot drive, I could swap it out with the one from the other computer in minutes- and swap the blank ssd into the 2nd machine and restore it in a few more.

At least in my case it's been worth the time investment.
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

IMHO, Hackintosh is a great route if you've got more time and less money. Also 99% of that time investment is usually in the beginning during the build process, so you can set it and forget it. I have one that's been running for years now.

I will be due for a new build soon and was wondering. Is anybody here running a Hackintosh with a thunderbolt interface? What about UAD PCIe cards? Do they even still support OSX since there are no macs available with PCIe?
Old 27th January 2017
Gear Head

Built my first Hack back in 2012 and my new build has been running perfectly since December. I've owned many mac's since 2003, my first being a Power Mac G5, so I don't feel bad about building them.

I will echo that it's not something that one does on a whim. There's a lot of research involved. TonyMac is one of the best resources out there, and their cookbooks, while not foolproof, will usually result in a successful build if tackled with care.

I used to build PC's, so it wasn't a big thing for me to jump into, and at this point, other than Apple's laptops, I don't think I'd buy another desktop from them.

tg
Old 6th February 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geron View Post
I don't think i want to try it, but it sure sounds like an interesting alternative.

Is it stable enough for Logic X? Any performance issues? Good enough multicore support? Etc.
perfect choice.
friend of mine made one, kills mp2013 for a part of price.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

@ autodidactic Thunderbolt was abandoned on the PCIe bus, so that's not available to a hackintosh, or (for that matter) to a pre-trashcan Mac pro either.

On the other hand, some hardware that will never run on new Apple gear, like PCIe cards, can work fine on a hack. You can declare the Hackintosh to be a 4,1 or 5,1 MacPro, and if there are drivers, OsX will then work fine with your PCIe cards, just as it must in an aluminum MacPro - capisce?.

There are all sorts of useful workarounds open to adventurous souls.

I would guess UAD et al. must support the PCIe cards until Apple declares even the 2012 5,1 Mac Pro a tottering dinosaur no longer compatible with the current Os and Logic. That WILL come to pass, but then some more time will pass in the limbo phase. I'd guess you're safe until at least 2019.

At that point you can repurpose your Hackintosh as an IP-TV rig and your MacBook Pro as a remote, because after 2 years of Winning Bigly nobody will be doing any "creative" work -- we'll all just be watching "Ow, my balls".

Last edited by Fernand; 6th February 2017 at 10:09 AM..
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

So I finally updated to El Capitan
Here's my setup.

Qosimo X70-A Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor 32GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, 2-500GB 7200rpm hard drives

I have a Nvidia card and after installing the driver for it, now I have full access to the graphics card, which means I can run Motion 5.

Even though I have a laptop, I configured it for a MacPro because I needed to do that to install the Nvidia graphics driver.

What's your opinion on Hackintosh? Suited for Logic X?-el-capitan.png

The cool thing about all this is, it's a laptop, I used all the hardware on the laptop.
For audio, I use my iConnectMIDI2+ to connect my Qosmio to my MacMini.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your opinion on Hackintosh? Suited for Logic X?-el-capitan.png  
Old 5th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geron View Post
That sounds like a problem though...
For sure, the reason is not Hackintosh though. That happen also in "real" macs.

Probably I should not have mentioned about this problem at all because it is not related to Hackintoshes, it is a bug on the software.
Are you running multiple interfaces? If so, you need to decide which one needs to be your master time clock, and set the rest to slave mode. If they are not set right, they will not time right, and will cause clicks and pops.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search