The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your opinion on Hackintosh? Suited for Logic X?
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
As I understand it, BTW, USB 3.0 has problems under OsX, whether the hardware is Apple-build or not, namely that if USB 3.0 is working, USB 2.0 handoff becomes shaky. This would explain the trouble with USB 2 Audio interfaces. There are also problem with streaming, as in Video. People have had more luck with USB 3 disk drives. This is not a Hackintosh vs Macintosh issue, it's an OsX problem.
I believe it's actually an intel chipset issue
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW, there is no BIOS configuration normally needed on a PC. You can optimize the settings, but they normally boot without any configuration whatsoever.

As to how much of a "mac soul" there is in a mac's motherboard firmware nowadays, I'm not sure there's any left. It used to be quite significant in the 68000 era, I remember the EPROM burning, but these days it can't be very much, since a well-chosen vanilla PC motherboard boots OsX off the hard drive or optical just like a mac.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geron View Post
I don't think i want to try it, but it sure sounds like an interesting alternative.

Is it stable enough for Logic X? Any performance issues? Good enough multicore support? Etc.

Been building hackintosh for 3 years for friends and my own, I also have a real Imac. It is very stable, just go to Tony mac site. I'm running Logic X, Protools and Reason...no issues at all.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I believe it's actually an intel chipset issue
But then again millions of Windows PCs run USB3 just fine, without any significant conflicts. USB3 is a bit touchy all around, but Windows runs USB3 well enough that there just can't be an intrinsic and nearly insurmountable conflict in the Intel Chips the way we see under OsX.

I'm not saying the hardware is flawless, but rather that since Windows handles it well, and OsX does not, it's an OsX deficiency in the end. I suspect Apple never put the necessary effort into it, since they believed USB3 would be an irrelevant phase, presumably between everybody using Firewire and everybody adopting Thunderbolt. Neither of which panned out. USB is still going strong because of low cost and huge installed base.

BTW, does anybody here know whether a Firewire 800 port, as e.g. on a WD My Book Studio external drive for macs, works 100% with a Firewire IEEE 1394a card using a simple physical 6 to 9 pin cable/adapter ?
Old 17th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagala View Post
Been building hackintosh for 3 years for friends and my own, I also have a real Imac. It is very stable, just go to Tony mac site. I'm running Logic X, Protools and Reason...no issues at all.
Would you (or someone else) like to share what is your Hackintosh configuration? I'm just considering to build my own and of course, I want it to be as stable as possible.
Old 17th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
But then again millions of Windows PCs run USB3 just fine, without any significant conflicts. USB3 is a bit touchy all around, but Windows runs USB3 well enough that there just can't be an intrinsic and nearly insurmountable conflict in the Intel Chips the way we see under OsX.

I'm not saying the hardware is flawless, but rather that since Windows handles it well, and OsX does not, it's an OsX deficiency in the end. I suspect Apple never put the necessary effort into it, since they believed USB3 would be an irrelevant phase, presumably between everybody using Firewire and everybody adopting Thunderbolt. Neither of which panned out. USB is still going strong because of low cost and huge installed base.
So let's be clear about which USB3 issues you're referring to? The only issue that I'm aware of that's not sleep related is with audio drivers, and to my knowledge this affects BOTH Windows & OSX machines, largely laptops. So what other issues does OSX have that WIndows does not?

And since this is a hackintosh thread, it should be QUITE easy to prove your thesis by using the same (audio or other peripheral) device on both operating systems using the same hardware. The problem here of course is that one must be able to verify that they have the CORRECT configuration for OSX before there is any kind of definitive 'proof' (EHCI issues, sleep issues and so on abound on OSX for USB, and minor chipset updates can cause tonymac etc style packages to not always work correctly.)

Quote:
BTW, does anybody here know whether a Firewire 800 port, as e.g. on a WD My Book Studio external drive for macs, works 100% with a Firewire IEEE 1394a card using a simple physical 6 to 9 pin cable/adapter ?
FW800 drives will work fine on FW400 ports and vice versa. I have a WD MyBook FW400 that I've used on both port types, and I have about 10 FW800 drives (mostly Lacie Rugged & Glyph etc drives used for editing video) and I know they work fine on FW400...
Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Well, Studio One is not really that expensive either and you can get also Cubase for quite cheap price.

Apple seems to be doing quite fine nowadays and their iPhones and iPads arent doing bad either. The amount they get profit from their phones is just crazy...
I don't think you understand! For Logic veterans the was a time when the Logic instruments were PAID addons, most cost more than the current app.

Old 18th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
I don't think you understand! For Logic veterans the was a time when the Logic instruments were PAID addons, most cost more than the current app.

Im well aware that the current software is a lot cheaper than back then. Even the person who I replied to mentioned this thing
Old 18th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
Would you (or someone else) like to share what is your Hackintosh configuration? I'm just considering to build my own and of course, I want it to be as stable as possible.
Anyone?
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Anyone?
I have 2 systems an old core 2 quad core and an I5 sytem..The quad I am using Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, Intel 2.5ghz CPU and for the graphics NvideaGeForce 210, running OSX 10.8.4. This is what I use most of the time it's good enough for my needs. The software that I'm using is Reason 7 and Logic X and both stable. If you need help I can assist you, just PM me.
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Nut

Current build is a 4770K (Corsair water cooler attached for 4.3GHz OC stability) - Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H Motherboard - 16Gb of 1833 RAM - GTX 660 - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - 2 TB WD Black HDD main storage - 2 TB WD Green HDD Time Machine Storage - Corsair R540 Carbide Case - Running 10.9.1 and just updated to Logic Pro X 10.0.5 via the magic of the App Store*

Also have a copy of Studio One Pro and NI Maschine 2.0 & Komplete Ultimate 9 Housed and humming along on it. And a UAD 2 solo PCIe card in there as well and a TI chipped Firewire card for connecting up my PMIO.

More Stable than my Old 2,1 Mac Pro it replaced and just as quiet. And unbelievably more processing headroom. I'm going to have to try hard to overload this beasty!

*Love buying iTunes Store cards on special - the offer I used meant I had a further 25% saving on Logic X when I upgraded!
Old 19th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Anyone?
Have you been here yet: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013 ? Also, since it's for audio, you may want to read up building as quiet a PC as possible: http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Old 20th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindizzy View Post
Current build is a 4770K (Corsair water cooler attached for 4.3GHz OC stability) - Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H Motherboard - 16Gb of 1833 RAM - GTX 660 - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - 2 TB WD Black HDD main storage - 2 TB WD Green HDD Time Machine Storage - Corsair R540 Carbide Case - Running 10.9.1 and just updated to Logic Pro X 10.0.5 via the magic of the App Store*

Also have a copy of Studio One Pro and NI Maschine 2.0 & Komplete Ultimate 9 Housed and humming along on it. And a UAD 2 solo PCIe card in there as well and a TI chipped Firewire card for connecting up my PMIO.

More Stable than my Old 2,1 Mac Pro it replaced and just as quiet. And unbelievably more processing headroom. I'm going to have to try hard to overload this beasty!

*Love buying iTunes Store cards on special - the offer I used meant I had a further 25% saving on Logic X when I upgraded!
Thank you spindizzy. The build i have thought is pretty much the same. Do you remember what is your Firewire card?
Old 20th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetik42 View Post
Have you been here yet: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide December 2013 ? Also, since it's for audio, you may want to read up building as quiet a PC as possible: silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers
Thanks synthetik42. I've been there ( a lot )
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you spindizzy. The build i have thought is pretty much the same. Do you remember what is your Firewire card?
Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a, bought off Amazon, changed the bracket to the high profile one, plugged it in and away it went. Firewire 400/800 TI chipset. The M-Audio PMIO is notoriously picky about the FW adapter but this worked out of the box.
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Well, Studio One is not really that expensive either and you can get also Cubase for quite cheap price.

Apple seems to be doing quite fine nowadays and their iPhones and iPads arent doing bad either. The amount they get profit from their phones is just crazy...
Where can one get the comparable versions of Cubase and Studio One for anywhere near the 200 that Logic goes for?
Old 24th December 2013
Lives for gear

BTW, I just got the perfect USB3 / Firewire800 card. I only had one free slot in my i5 Hackintosh, so I had been desperately looking for months.

This card just came out and isn't available everywhere yet. It's a Sonnet PCIe Tango 3 card. Make sure it's the 3 and not an older USB 2 card.

The Tango 3 gives you 3 Firewire 800 ports (with 9 pin jacks, make sure you have the right cables or adapters, and yes they work with Firewire 400 peripherals) and 2 USB 3 ports. In addition, there's a blue header on the card for a dual USB 3 bracket/cable. You can get a front panel or back mounted bracket for $10-20.

So you end up with 3 high speed Firewire and 4 USB 3.0 ports. All on one PCIe card!

I just installed it and booted up on my i5 hackintosh under OSX 10.8.4. This is an H61 MSI motherboard with 16 GB RAM and an 8600 video card.

Both USB 3.0 and Firewire work with no drivers and no patching of kexts. The card uses new and highly compatible chips. It just works. It would very likely work the same on a "real" mac. I'm using it with FW800 drives, Audio interface, Camcorders, and all sorts of USB 3.0 peripherals, from disk drives to Audio/MIDI and my Samsung Note 3 phone. It's been completely trouble-free. Highly recommended. Well worth a little extra cash.
Attached Thumbnails
What's your opinion on Hackintosh? Suited for Logic X?-sonnettango3.jpg  
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Head

FYI, the core MIDI + USB3 issue I linked to earlier no longer seems to be an issue in 10.9.
Old 24th December 2013
Gear Addict

Hackintoshes run much faster than 'real' macs. The purpose of a hackintosh is to have a more powerful mac than you would be able to get from Apple (at a half reasonable price). I don't have one but I've used one and it is much faster. But only do it if you're confident with computers.
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

A Hackintosh is NOT faster, or slower. I don't get it. What does it take for people to understand? To grasp the simple fact that a Mac with a given CPU and set of parts runs exactly the same as a hackintosh with those parts, because it's the same thing.

You CAN buy a much more powerful/faster machine for your money if you forego the Apple logo and markups, that's all.
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Head

Yeah but you can't overclock a mac,
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

There might not be a way to do it from the UI, but if the CPU is unlocked, you might be able to do it by changing things on the motherboard. You could also swap out parts. Not that it's a good idea, but the point is that it's all just PC hardware.
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
Where can one get the comparable versions of Cubase and Studio One for anywhere near the 200 that Logic goes for?
A while ago it was possible to buy the educational version of Cubase 7 for 230€
Old 27th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
A while ago it was possible to buy the educational version of Cubase 7 for 230€
And Presonus do the occasional large discount on StudioOne if you buy direct from them. Keep an eye on their web shop or join their mailing list.

Also they offer cross-grade pricing. I use both Logic X and Studio One Pro on my Hack, all working very happily.
Old 27th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindizzy View Post
Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a, bought off Amazon, changed the bracket to the high profile one, plugged it in and away it went. Firewire 400/800 TI chipset. The M-Audio PMIO is notoriously picky about the FW adapter but this worked out of the box.
Thank you spindizzy. I have also watched this 3 Port 2b 1a PCI Express FireWire Card | FireWire Cards | StarTech.com
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW, I first ordered a Tango 3 from an unnamed outfit in LA, which claimed to have Tango 3s in stock, but sent me a Tango 2. They finally took it back.

I then found that the best/only source was Sonnet itself, the Tango 3 card was around $100, but, hey, it was the real deal, they shipped quickly and at 3 Firewire 800 ports and 4 USB 3 ports (2 on the card + 2 on a front panel bracket) it's a good thing for the money. I don't remember all the details now, but I looked into the chips they were using for both USB 3 and Firewire, and it was clearly the best card on the market.
Old 29th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
FWIW, I first ordered a Tango 3 from an unnamed outfit in LA, which claimed to have Tango 3s in stock, but sent me a Tango 2. They finally took it back.

I then found that the best/only source was Sonnet itself, the Tango 3 card was around $100, but, hey, it was the real deal, they shipped quickly and at 3 Firewire 800 ports and 4 USB 3 ports (2 on the card + 2 on a front panel bracket) it's a good thing for the money. I don't remember all the details now, but I looked into the chips they were using for both USB 3 and Firewire, and it was clearly the best card on the market.
Sounds excellent - I didn't need any extra USB3 ports though because my motherboard came with 10, more than sufficient.

The Card I bought was only $20 and uses a TI chipset, working perfectly.
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Anyone else got such graphic glitches in Logi X when Resizing the Mixer:
2015-11-16_1156 - daslicht's library
?
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
Anyone else got such graphic glitches in Logi X when Resizing the Mixer:
2015-11-16_1156 - daslicht's library
?
Yes, I get these white flashes sometimes especially with the latest OSX update. I dont think that it is hackintosh related though.
Old 10th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Funny situation,
I just installed OS X 10.11.2 + the latest Nvidia Web Driver and the issue shown above is gone !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search