The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iMac i5 vs Mac Mini i7 for Logic Pro X
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted c387cfa
Thx for a different perspective, mate.

I'm not sure whether i would drive an i5 to the limit, but i certainly don't want to experience any overload messages either.

And who knows what software demands in 1 or 2 years? I rather wait for the new i7 Mac Mini just a little longer now (which could be released today), than regretting getting the i5 in a few months, because it's not able to run 30 instances of Zebra at once :D
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted c387cfa
Apple

I don't want to get a last years Mac Mini, but i can't wait to the end of the year either... And who knows when they'll update it?

Could be in two weeks, could be in more than a month...
Old 10th November 2014
But turned out to be a year
And boy did they not disappoint!
Soldered everything! 2012 i7 in higher demand by the end of 2014 then when it came out ... boy oh boy... Apple sure is *special*
Old 13th August 2016
bump !

I got a great 2012 quad i7 2.2/ssd and my friend would sell me a big iMac i5 3.4 ... the benchmark are close.
I would benefit from a good screen.

Im just worried about his fusion drive, the heating dissipation (as good as a mini?), other than that its got twice my ram: 16go. just a cool all in one if there if no major downside, what do you guys think ?
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
bump !

I got a great 2012 quad i7 2.2/ssd and my friend would sell me a big iMac i5 3.4 ... the benchmark are close.
I would benefit from a good screen.

Im just worried about his fusion drive, the heating dissipation (as good as a mini?), other than that its got twice my ram: 16go. just a cool all in one if there if no major downside, what do you guys think ?
I would get the quad core i7 mini over the i5 . Sure you get the screen but the 2012 quad core i7 2.3 mini is just nice for the fact that you get the i7 and if something on the iMac goes bad it's all in one . Screens can and do go bad. With the Mini your not tied to that issue.
It's really easy to install 16gb of ram in the mini. You don't want to use a fusion drive for anything Audio related. Also you can put two SSD's in the mini if you want. If you are handy with taking things apart it's not hard just a bit tedious.

Hell I am biased I own a 2012 Mac Mini and Installed 2 SSD's in it and 16gb's of ram. Oh and 16'gbs of ram will be fine for audio and plug ins.
Old 13th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
I would get the quad core i7 mini over the i5 . Sure you get the screen but the 2012 quad core i7 2.3 mini is just nice for the fact that you get the i7 and if something on the iMac goes bad it's all in one . Screens can and do go bad. With the Mini your not tied to that issue.
It's really easy to install 16gb of ram in the mini. You don't want to use a fusion drive for anything Audio related. Also you can put two SSD's in the mini if you want. If you are handy with taking things apart it's not hard just a bit tedious.

Hell I am biased I own a 2012 Mac Mini and Installed 2 SSD's in it and 16gb's of ram. Oh and 16'gbs of ram will be fine for audio and plug ins.
Thanks ! yes i guess I ll stay with the mini. it was a pain for me to install one SSD, I haven't even finished it properly ! so i guess 2 would be a pain.

I might call a friend. and i definitely need 16go, i dont remember if it s easy access or if i have to take the ssd off.

If I do that it will be a fast baby ! lets forget i5, fusion, and stay with my beast.
Old 13th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Thanks ! yes i guess I ll stay with the mini. it was a pain for me to install one SSD, I haven't even finished it properly ! so i guess 2 would be a pain.

I might call a friend. and i definitely need 16go, i dont remember if it s easy access or if i have to take the ssd off.

If I do that it will be a fast baby ! lets forget i5, fusion, and stay with my beast.
If you have the data doubler kit it's really not that hard to install the SSD you just have to carefully follow the steps outlined.

It's tedious because of the number hex screws that need to be removed and you wind up removing the whole computer from its case.

Two main caveats to remember....... place the different screws size wise in sperate locations on the table so you know what screws go where.

Also carefully remove connectors( if there is going to be screw up this is usually where people make it. The connectors are good but small and therefor need to be treated delicately.

All in though it's about a half hour to 45 minute excercise from start to finish. The ram slots are right on the underside under the removable cover. You don't have to touch the hard drives to replace ram.
Old 13th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpro View Post
If you have the data doubler kit it's really not that hard to install the SSD you just have to carefully follow the steps outlined.

It's tedious because of the number hex screws that need to be removed and you wind up removing the whole computer from its case.

Two main caveats to remember....... place the different screws size wise in sperate locations on the table so you know what screws go where.

Also carefully remove connectors( if there is going to be screw up this is usually where people make it. The connectors are good but small and therefor need to be treated delicately.

All in though it's about a half hour to 45 minute excercise from start to finish. The ram slots are right on the underside under the removable cover. You don't have to touch the hard drives to replace ram.
Thanks again, RAM will be enough then. moving my studio and home is enough work already ! I will keep the smooth in and fit 16ram.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

I just found an 8 core 2008 MacPro w/ 16GB (of ECC RAM), 500 gb 7200 drive, 2 DVD-rewriters and an NVIDIA card. Installs Yosemite and El Capitan. I didn't know it could run the latest stuff, but when I found out I ran and got it. Cheap.

10.10.5 on it now, and Logic 10.2.4. Still installing, we'll see how it goes. I was building a system and it wasn't going well, when the MacPro popped up. This sure beats all of that consumerish i5 stuff they are pushing now. I wouldn't bother with an i5 anything.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
I just found an 8 core 2008 MacPro w/ 16GB (of ECC RAM), 500 gb 7200 drive, 2 DVD-rewriters and an NVIDIA card. Installs Yosemite and El Capitan. I didn't know it could run the latest stuff, but when I found out I ran and got it. Cheap.

10.10.5 on it now, and Logic 10.2.4. Still installing, we'll see how it goes. I was building a system and it wasn't going well, when the MacPro popped up. This sure beats all of that consumerish i5 stuff they are pushing now. I wouldn't bother with an i5 anything.
Nice find, man. You must be psyched! I believe they're quite flexible too for even more upgrading with iFixit, etc. Also, let us know if you need any tops tricks, and here is a site to get you started:

http://dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Home.html

It's Edgar's off search, there are some handy free guides, and I can't recommend enough the How it Works Series -- and then The Details!

Here are some free guides off the site too:

10.2 Undocumented Changes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5G...w?pref=2&pli=1

10.1 New Features: http://www.dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/LPXNewF.html

The full list is on the site (icons, bottom right,) and includes 10.2.3, 10.2.1, and Automation. Since you have some experience with LP5? from way back when, these might get you rolling more quickly.
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

@ MusiKLover thanks for the warm thoughts. I have all Edgar's guides, and have been running LpX 10.2.4 on an i7-4790K in my office that triple boots.

But I needed another machine to run LpX on Yosemite to team up with the i7 in the studio that only runs Cubendo on Win7-64. That's where I spent a couple of weeks with a stubborn motherboard problem with an i5, when I stumbled on the MacPro that runs no slower than the i5. So if there are no problems with the old MacPro, that's a shortcut to not(insanity). Fingers crossed.

Terrible scares with old machines. After vacuuming and cleaning the contraption, it came up with memory errors. I noticed with dread that 16GB of that ancient DDR2 RAM goes for $250. Mercifully another round of laying on of hands and cleaning RAM connectors with the olde eraser has for now placated the RAM demons.

Not to belabor the obvious, but I'm not sure I understand what hardware Apple is offering professionals these days. The lack of field-expandability also nails every computer they offer.

Wow, some Gearslutz robot deleted my studio gear, namely my iPhone 3 and a Shell Oil 50 gallon oil drum as percussion.

Last edited by Fernand; 29th August 2016 at 11:20 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search