The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
clicks and pops - iMac late 2013 - Logic x
Old 14th October 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

clicks and pops - iMac late 2013 - Logic x

HI guys,

Just wondering if anybody else is having audio playback issues with Logic X and the new iMac 2013 models. I have a 5 day old 21" 2.7GHz i5.

It pops and clips in Logic X and iTunes through the internal speakers. No audio interface attached or even installed. Even when iMac speakers are at "one" bar.

Did a complete erase and install, installed logic, played back a few projects and issue still there.

May ring apple care later to get a replacement. Or its a software thing and hopefully they will update at some point.
Old 14th October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Welcome to Logic Pro X!

But seriously speaking clicking and popping issue seems to be quite common among the Logic Pro X users. That happens also to me when choosing different tracks during playback. I dont have the exact problem what you just described though.
Old 26th October 2013
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Ciao robbohuddo, same situation here.

Bought a new Imac 27, i7, with fusion drive. Late 2013. Just a couple of weeks ago.

I swapped the machine with an older imac 27 keeping exactly the same set up.

Started hearing some clicks, pops and stuttering on the audio. Quickly realised that it wasn't Logic x but something else.

I have the same problem even with just itunes. Called Apple, we tried on the phone a couple of things. Resetting the pram, entering safe mode (which failed).
No solution but they are changing my Imac with a new one.

While I'm waiting for the new machine I tested a few things, it looks like adding usb stuff gets the problem worse. The only almost stable situation was when only the duet and my mac keyboard was connected.

Upgrading to Maverick changed nothing.

Another thing I noticed was that every time I launched Live after a restart I got a message saying that it was the first time I was launching Live and bla bla bla.

Hope the new machine will work properly.
Old 31st October 2013
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Brento's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbohuddo View Post
HI guys,

Just wondering if anybody else is having audio playback issues with Logic X and the new iMac 2013 models. I have a 5 day old 21" 2.7GHz i5.

It pops and clips in Logic X and iTunes through the internal speakers. No audio interface attached or even installed. Even when iMac speakers are at "one" bar.

Did a complete erase and install, installed logic, played back a few projects and issue still there.

May ring apple care later to get a replacement. Or its a software thing and hopefully they will update at some point.
Well, any luck getting it sorted out?
Old 8th November 2013
  #5
Old 10th November 2013
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Error while trying to synchronise Audio an Midi on new iMax 27 (Late 2013)

I have the same problem on my new iMac 27'.

Here my post in another topic:

Potential audio problem with new iMacs
Old 1st January 2014
  #7
Here for the gear
I had the same problem with my new 27-in. iMac (Late 2013) and so far it seems to have gone away after talking with Apple support today. I was getting clicks and pops about every 10 minutes and I had to either unplug and replug my Apogee Duet 2, or change the buffer size in Logic, which only provided a temporary solution.

Apple support today had me do the following:
#1 Shut down my computer and unplug everything (all USB's, external hard drives etc.)
#2 Unplug the power cord, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in.
#3 Turn the computer back on, but as soon as you press the power button to turn it on, you have to hold Option+Command+P+R
#4 You will hear the boot-up chime (or whatever) twice, and after the second chime, let go of the keys.
#5 If you get a Mac Utility screen or something other than your normal login, shut down the computer once more and restart.
#6 Login as usual, and the problem should be fixed.

Apparently resetting the "NVRAM or PRAM" is what this does, although I don't know what it means. He also provided me with two articles to use in the case that it happens again, although he said it shouldn't:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
About NVRAM and PRAM

Hopefully this will help.
Old 1st January 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteen View Post
I had the same problem with my new 27-in. iMac (Late 2013) and so far it seems to have gone away after talking with Apple support today. I was getting clicks and pops about every 10 minutes and I had to either unplug and replug my Apogee Duet 2, or change the buffer size in Logic, which only provided a temporary solution.

Apple support today had me do the following:
#1 Shut down my computer and unplug everything (all USB's, external hard drives etc.)
#2 Unplug the power cord, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in.
#3 Turn the computer back on, but as soon as you press the power button to turn it on, you have to hold Option+Command+P+R
#4 You will hear the boot-up chime (or whatever) twice, and after the second chime, let go of the keys.
#5 If you get a Mac Utility screen or something other than your normal login, shut down the computer once more and restart.
#6 Login as usual, and the problem should be fixed.

Apparently resetting the "NVRAM or PRAM" is what this does, although I don't know what it means. He also provided me with two articles to use in the case that it happens again, although he said it shouldn't:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
About NVRAM and PRAM

Hopefully this will help.
Thanks bro, I'll try this out.
Old 1st January 2014
  #9
Here for the gear
UPDATE: The noise started happening again, even after the temporary solution. Apple Support told me now that they are in touch with Apogee, and that the issue is indeed happening across various audio interfaces. The "engineers are diligently seeking a solution" and will most likely issue a software update soon to cope with the issue. Apparently it's related to a problem with one of the iMac Late 2013 hard drives - beats me what specifically that issue is.

Sorry for the false hope with my last post!
Old 1st January 2014
  #10
jac
Gear Addict
 
jac's Avatar
Updating to 10.0.5 has solved the problem on my rig.
Old 2nd January 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteen View Post
UPDATE: The noise started happening again, even after the temporary solution. Apple Support told me now that they are in touch with Apogee, and that the issue is indeed happening across various audio interfaces. The "engineers are diligently seeking a solution" and will most likely issue a software update soon to cope with the issue. Apparently it's related to a problem with one of the iMac Late 2013 hard drives - beats me what specifically that issue is.

Sorry for the false hope with my last post!
Does it ever happen for you when Logic is closed? It crackle and pop randomly here.
Old 2nd January 2014
  #12
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
Does it ever happen for you when Logic is closed? It crackle and pop randomly here.
It does happen with or without Logic open. I think the common thread for me is whenever I am using my Duet 2 for more than 10-15 minutes, the audio cracks in any application.
Old 2nd January 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteen View Post
It does happen with or without logic running think the common thread for me is whenever I am using my Duet 2 for more than 10-15 minutes, the audio cracks in any application.
Ok thank you for your speedy reply well I get the same exact problem! I use the adat port of of M-Audio 1814 and i was kicking myself for getting such a cheap interface! But actually it worked pefectly for years under 10.6.8 and actually the noise started with SL, not Mavericks.

Maybe apple are pushing pro audio guys away from its platform? Apple has 10% of the PC market and audio guys are probably 1% of that. 0 profit IMHO...
Old 10th January 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Its seems the update fixed the issue! I haven't heard any noise for a while
Old 10th February 2016
  #15
Here for the gear
 

go to preferences/audio and increase the i/o buffer size. Worked for me.
Old 10th February 2016
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespringfield View Post
go to preferences/audio and increase the i/o buffer size. Worked for me.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump