The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus Fader Port and Logic x
Old 3rd March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_R View Post
Has anyone tried this latest install from the presonus webpage? Am considering purchasing the faderport but this thread makes it seem like it's way more hassle than it's worth.

Faderport - How do I set up my Faderport in Logic 64 bit – Knowledge Base | PreSonus
I have tried it today, and it doesn't work reliable here. Sometimes there are no light on the faderport, the motor do not work at all.
The Faderport works with Studio One so it seams to be no hardware defect
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Old thread but as I see the Faderport Classic being very very cheap and having basically same functions of the new one (and nicer looks for me), I got one and got my head around having it working beautifully with Logic X.

And informations on the internet are a bit out of date, in reality it has all been updated by Presonus and is much simpler.

The only downside being that to update its firmware (needed) you need a computer with native USB2 port (some users report using a usb2 hub also works depending on the cable etc.). I updated it via my old MacMini and worked perfectly.

To do the firmware update, head to this page:
https://www.presonus.com/products/Fa...ssic/downloads
and download Universal Control. With that app you update the Fader Control to latest version (1.4.5 at the moment).

After doing that, on the SAME PAGE there's another file that is needed but is hidden..click on Show/Hide All Versions of software, it shows you the old version of Universal Control and, crucially, the other download you need: the Faderport Control Installer.

Download it as well, and after updating firmware of your Faderport Classic, launch the Faderport Control and select the DAW(s) installed on your system.

Done that you have latest firmware and Logic knows how to talk with your Faderport. Launch Logic X and follow these instructions:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...cles/210040203
and you'll be ready to go, new firmware and 64bit working perfectly. You can even then go and personalise buttons assignments.

Just remember that to have the motorised fader you need the power adapter powering the Presonus.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofus View Post
Old thread but as I see the Faderport Classic being very very cheap and having basically same functions of the new one (and nicer looks for me), I got one and got my head around having it working beautifully with Logic X.

And informations on the internet are a bit out of date, in reality it has all been updated by Presonus and is much simpler.

The only downside being that to update its firmware (needed) you need a computer with native USB2 port (some users report using a usb2 hub also works depending on the cable etc.). I updated it via my old MacMini and worked perfectly.

To do the firmware update, head to this page:
https://www.presonus.com/products/Fa...ssic/downloads
and download Universal Control. With that app you update the Fader Control to latest version (1.4.5 at the moment).

After doing that, on the SAME PAGE there's another file that is needed but is hidden..click on Show/Hide All Versions of software, it shows you the old version of Universal Control and, crucially, the other download you need: the Faderport Control Installer.

Download it as well, and after updating firmware of your Faderport Classic, launch the Faderport Control and select the DAW(s) installed on your system.

Done that you have latest firmware and Logic knows how to talk with your Faderport. Launch Logic X and follow these instructions:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...cles/210040203
and you'll be ready to go, new firmware and 64bit working perfectly. You can even then go and personalise buttons assignments.

Just remember that to have the motorised fader you need the power adapter powering the Presonus.
one downside might be that it is a discontinued product and presonus no longer updates the driver. Do they ? If not it might render a unsupported device in upcoming macOS versions (I doubt in windows)
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
one downside might be that it is a discontinued product and presonus no longer updates the driver. Do they ? If not it might render a unsupported device in upcoming macOS versions (I doubt in windows)
The 'driver' (if you intend the one for Logic X) is a simple description of how the controller works, in fact 'converting' the Faderport language to Logic X surface control language.

So unless Logic X completely changes that and renders all controllers unusable (almost certainly unlikely), then there's nothing else that can make the Faderport unsupported in the short/medium term.

It's a simple USB1.1 compliant standard midi device (USB3 standard is backward compatible with USB2 and USB1, again is nothing about the OS). Even the firmware update in Presonus Universal Control, for all their devices, is a standard .syx file.

I mean at some point all devices can be old and unsupported, but usually as long as they're standard usb/midi compliant, they keep being usable as they really don't need any driver as such, and Faderport Classic doesn't either (the 'driver' is just for DAWs to see it as a controller all pre-mapped...but it can work easily without it, infact Faderports works perfectly also as HUI generic controller).

There's also an open SDK in case in the future someone would like to write any improved 'driver'.

I was just pointing the procedure because personally I don't like the squishy buttons and bigger dimensions of the new Faderport, and I was able to get the old one complete with power adapter and cable etc. for £50, and I think is a good bargain for a nice and effective DAW controller (I personally use it for quick sessions when I don't want or need my SSL Nucleus).

Windows...I have no idea of compatibility there so I can't speak about that :-)
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofus View Post
The 'driver' (if you intend the one for Logic X) is a simple description of how the controller works, in fact 'converting' the Faderport language to Logic X surface control language.

So unless Logic X completely changes that and renders all controllers unusable (almost certainly unlikely), then there's nothing else that can make the Faderport unsupported in the short/medium term.

It's a simple USB1.1 compliant standard midi device (USB3 standard is backward compatible with USB2 and USB1, again is nothing about the OS). Even the firmware update in Presonus Universal Control, for all their devices, is a standard .syx file.

I mean at some point all devices can be old and unsupported, but usually as long as they're standard usb/midi compliant, they keep being usable as they really don't need any driver as such, and Faderport Classic doesn't either (the 'driver' is just for DAWs to see it as a controller all pre-mapped...but it can work easily without it, infact Faderports works perfectly also as HUI generic controller).

There's also an open SDK in case in the future someone would like to write any improved 'driver'.

I was just pointing the procedure because personally I don't like the squishy buttons and bigger dimensions of the new Faderport, and I was able to get the old one complete with power adapter and cable etc. for £50, and I think is a good bargain for a nice and effective DAW controller (I personally use it for quick sessions when I don't want or need my SSL Nucleus).

Windows...I have no idea of compatibility there so I can't speak about that :-)
hm that would be nice, but most times macOS won't let you install unsupported software. You are sure it is just a definition ?

or something like this :
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/20...tober-24-2019/

anyways I hope it will work long time.

So it still works on Catalina, no ?
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
hm that would be nice, but most times macOS won't let you install unsupported software. You are sure it is just a definition ?

or something like this :
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/20...tober-24-2019/

anyways I hope it will work long time.

So it still works on Catalina, no ?
Installed on Mojave (not sure about Catalina still early days and for music software and opensource/independent developers you always need to disable some protections made for normal users). Like billions other software is just enough to tell Gate Keeper to install it anyway

And yes is just an interface between the device and Logic X, based on the "Control Surface Plug-in SDK for Apple Logic Pro and Apple GarageBand" that is available to Apple Developers (just requested access out of curiosity now ).

It basically is what you see in the Faderport SDK
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...ssic-Messaging

but the other way round, the 64bit compatibility is not for the device but for this piece of software as LogicX stopped 32bit support and so Presonus 'driver' needed to be updated.

As I said before is not even needed, is enough to have HUI protocol supported in the DAW and you can map all things (I actually did and some buttons work better as the Mixer etc. are correctly lit using HUI!). As written on Presonus SDK page, the FaderPort is a standard MIDI device, if you check there is just all usual sysex messages exchange...potentially it will always work as long as MIDI exists

So yes let's hope it will keep working...I just think is very simple and well done, and well done to Presonus for leaving us with a final version/driver that works!

PS: having a quick look at the tiny binary I personally think it'd also quite easy to guess the few functions it has to communicate and translate/interpret signals back/forth the device and so implementing the device's sysexes (as specified in the official SDK)
Attached Thumbnails
Presonus Fader Port and Logic x-screenshot-2019-10-25-16.56.30.jpg  
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Maniac
thank you for the extensive reply !
Old 29th October 2019
Here for the gear

I'm unfortunately having major problems with the Classic in Logic 10.4.7

Following rofus's instructions...I was unable to update firmware after updating Universal Control and uninstalling drivers. I also tried after re-installing FaderPort Control with no love. Every time error code: 0x80004005 So I'm stuck on v1.00

So am unable to do firmware update because I have a 2017 iMac and therefore USB3 inputs? They're supposed to be USB2 compatible right? Typed the error code into their support search and this seems to be the problem for everyone.

Also I'm having serious problems running it as a HUI device in Logic too. No matter what track is selected it's always moving the fader on the first audio track as well (I tried it on different projects, one where there was an audio track on track 1 and another where the first audio track was track 6, below the instrument track I had selected)

Thankfully it's continued to work well on Pro Tools but if I can't even use it for volume automation on Logic I'm really bummed. I of course bought it last year one or two months before the new one came out. I've had issues every time I've updated Logic and it hasn't been much easier to sort out each time (or figure out what to do on PreSonus site with several out of date instruction guides). Ran as HUI until tonight when I decided to try again because rofus's instructions seemed convincing....no hard feelings there, btw, rofus!

Just wondering if I need to give up on this controller, it's been a hassle. I was rooting for it, too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search