The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Custom Logic X GUIs thread.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Custom Logic X GUIs thread.

Hi Logic folk,

I thought a thread dealing with interface customisations might be good, to put all the useful info in one place.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Here's my first attempt at a Lighter Logic X interface, there are a few experiments going on here so it might not be to everyone's taste, but the basic deal is smaller fonts (originally 13 point, now 11 point), lighter backgrounds (but not too light) and an attempt to rid Logic X of that insipid muted blue they seem to have put everywhere (check out my red sends !! and blue-violet inserts ) to say nothing of my futuristic (cough . . . cough . . ) pan control.

How to use this GUI:

1) Navigate to the Logic X folder called 'A'
(To open the Logic X application - right click > show package contents)

Logic X Pro
>Contents
>>Frameworks
>>>MAResources.framework
>>>>Versions
>>>>>A

2) Inside 'A' there is a folder called 'Resources' - option-drag this to the desktop to make a back-up copy in case you are so disgusted by my 1980s pink meters that you want to go back to the standard Logic GUI. Make sure you've made a copy of this folder containing the standard GUI resources and not just an alias.

3) Rename this folder something other than Resources, maybe something like 'Original Resources' or 'Standard Resources'.

4) Download my new GUI file from here: Resources.zip - Once downloaded, unzip the file, this will give you a new folder called . . . . . wait for it . . . . drum roll . . . . 'Resources'.

5) Now simply drag this new folder into the Logic folder called 'A' - it will ask you if you want to replace the one that is already there, hit the 'Replace' button.

Done ! Restart Logic to use ! I'm still working on this, I want to make the pan text white (currently in black) and a few other things, I'll update this post if I manage to work it out.

All modifications are undertaken at your own risk, there's not a lot that can go wrong if you are simply adjusting images and changing colour and font size values - especially if you use a little common-sense (and back everything up), but like I say all modifications are undertaken at your own risk. If you don't accept that risk then my advice would be to leave Logic X in its default state, utilising the ideas and modifications in this thread assumes you accept that risk.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Old 29th July 2013
kdp
Lives for gear

Thanks for doing this as the Darth Vader look is just too scary.
This may be asking a lot but could you post a Youtube video in action going through the steps. This way we could create our own custom GUI.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks for starting this. How did you make the fonts smaller?

Edit: found your previous post: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9272791-post47.html
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Very cool. Yes, I'd also love to know how to JUST change the text font.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Very cool. Yes, I'd also love to know how to JUST change the text font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post
Thanks for starting this. How did you make the fonts smaller?

Edit: found your previous post: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9272791-post47.html
Yep, most font sizes are in 'Attributed String Styles' - all you need to do is change the value - hit save - and relaunch Logic to see how your new font size looks.

Old 29th July 2013
Gear Addict

Cool stuff, haven't done this for a long time- thanks!

I'd be interested to find where the color palette is for tracks and regions (what you see when you hit option-c). I like using colors in tracks but the default is kind of like looking a a bowl of fruit loops with a hangover.

I'll try to dig around later to find it.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
This may be asking a lot but could you post a Youtube video in action going through the steps. This way we could create our own custom GUI.
There's really not much to it.

Images are stored in 'Resources' - use whatever image editing software you like (Sumopaint, Photoshop . . . etc) to customise them - basic rules of common sense apply here - don't change the image size, keep the format (TIFF) the same . . . etc.

Everything else, font sizes, font colours, typefaces, element colours - and so on - are defined in the MAResources.plist document - this is just a text document so use a text editor to change stuff (I recommend Xcode, but something like TextEdit will work too) - find what you want and change its value.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for this thread BTW.
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

What is this that you opened MAResourcesMapping.plist in?
It wants to open in Text Edit.

[/QUOTE]
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wilsey View Post
I'd be interested to find where the color palette is for tracks and regions (what you see when you hit option-c).
Not found it as yet, there is this . . .

AssetSets >> Colors >> Regions

. . . which gives you some control, but it doesn't let you fully change the colour values.

e.g: Here I changed the hue values:

But still searching for a few things . . .
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
What is this that you opened MAResourcesMapping.plist in?
Apple Xcode.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcod...835?ls=1&mt=12
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Addict

Cool, thanks-!

I'll have to install x code later- or maybe try a little plist editor utility, there's a few out there.
Old 29th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Lee, do you happen to know what item under Color > Mixer is responsible for the color of the instrument insert slots?

I'm quite happy with just a few changes I have made but I would really like to change the color of those slots. It is hard to find them quickly enough.

EDIT: Damn, those seem to be graphics files. Not so easy.
Old 29th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Btw, here's my version of a slightly brighter piano roll editor.

I just typed some brighter values on some items one can find at Colors > PianoRoll.

With Xcode that was really easy, and quite interesting as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Logic X GUIs thread.-brighter-piano-roll-screenshot.jpg   Custom Logic X GUIs thread.-brighter-piano-roll-values.jpg  
Old 29th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

And a little bit more balanced one. I think this will be it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Logic X GUIs thread.-balanced-brighter-piano-roll.jpg   Custom Logic X GUIs thread.-balanced-brighter-piano-roll-values.jpg  
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Lee, do you happen to know what item under Color > Mixer is responsible for the color of the instrument insert slots?
The instrument insert slots are images rather than a value in the MAResrources.plist - the images are:

mixer_insert_audio.tif
mixer_insert_audio_sel.tif

(the second image is the image used when the channel is selected).

The retina versions have a '@2x' postfix:

[email protected]
[email protected]

These images live in the same Resources folder as the MAResrources.plist file.

Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
And a little bit more balanced one. I think this will be it for me.
Nice !
Old 29th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
The instrument insert slots are images rather than a value in the MAResrources.plist - the images are:

mixer_insert_audio.tif
mixer_insert_audio_sel.tif

(the second image is the image used when the channel is selected).

The retina versions have a '@2x' postfix:

[email protected]
[email protected]

These images live in the same Resources folder as the MAResrources.plist file.
Thank you. I see. Hmm, so is there any way to use different images for the instrument (EXS, ES etc) slots than to audio FX slots following them?
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
. . . so is there any way to use different images for the instrument (EXS, ES etc) slots than to audio FX slots following them?
Sure, the MAResources file defines what images are used and where, and as you have probably already discovered for yourself Logic uses the same image for Audio FX as it does Software Instruments . . . but if you want two different button images (presumably you just want two different colours) all you would have to do is this . . . .

1) Find the image file you want to use (mixer_insert_audio.tif in this case) in the Resources folder and make a duplicate - rename this duplicate something like mixer_insert_instrument.tiff (or whatever you like).

2) Open mixer_insert_instrument.tiff into something like Photoshop and change the colour (Hue and Saturation is the easiest way to do this) or paint on it or do whatever you want to it . . . then hit save.

3) Now find MixerInstrument in your MAResources file and direct it to your new mixer_insert_instrument.tiff file rather than the mixer_insert_audio.tif file.

(notice in this screenshot how MixerInstrument and MixerInsertAudio both reference the same image file, all you need to do is to point MixerInstrument towards your new file - simply double click on the file name and replace it with mixer_insert_instrument - or whatever you've called it).

P.S: you'll have to do the same process to the other uses of 'MixerInstrument' (they are right underneath the main one) - otherwise if you do something like switch between the narrow and wide mixer layout the button images will change . . .
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Lee, id like to change the background of the mixer strips and the track headers in the arrange to a lighter gray, like yours. where/what are these parameters?
Old 29th July 2013
Jus
Lives for gear

Brilliant, I'll try that!!! Thank you very much!
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixocalypse View Post
Lee, id like to change the background of the mixer strips and the track headers in the arrange to a lighter gray, like yours. where/what are these parameters?
Look for ChannelStrip_BG - It's a (subtle) gradient, so you need to adjust two colours, top and bottom.
You also need to adjust ChannelStrip_SelectedBG - for when the channel is selected.

You can find all these parameters yourself fairly easily, just use the search function and stick something useful in ('mixer', 'panner', 'arrange', 'trackheader' . . . etc)

Here are my values for the ChannelStrip, I think I just increased Logic's default values by 40* (or something like that).

*(I increased the first of the two values in the brackets by 40 - the first number is the shade of grey from black (0) to white (255), the second number is the opacity).

GreyColor values are {X,Y}
X = greyscale 1 - 255
Y = opacity 1 -255

sRGB values are {X,Y,Z,A}
X = red 1 - 255
Y = green 1 - 255
Z = blue 1 - 255
A = opacity 1 - 255
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Look for ChannelStrip_BG - It's a (subtle) gradient, so you need to adjust two colours, top and bottom...
Thanks Lee! its starting to make sense now..
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Cheap white plastic console faders !!

: )

Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Even cheaper yellow plastic console faders bought as part of a drug deal that went bad.

Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Super precise console faders.

Old 30th July 2013
Gear Addict

Lee.... Im in a pickle.

I downloaded your resources option, and I dropped it into the A folder like you said.
Hit replace, and things were cool for a while.

I decided to go back to the original. So I close logic, and dropped the original back into A and launched logic.

Some weird green popped up showing the session loading and the screen was blank.
IM embarrassed

How can I fix this lol?
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Addict

Is there any way, you can make the original resources available to me?
Once I dropped it back into the A folder, I lost it.
Old 30th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech View Post

I downloaded your resources option, and I dropped it into the A folder like you said.
Hit replace, and things were cool for a while.

I decided to go back to the original. So I close logic, and dropped the original back into A and launched logic.
You'd need to be a bit more precise about what you did, otherwise any help offered will only really be a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
Some weird green popped up showing the session loading and the screen was blank.
A 'weird green', doesn't mean anything (to me at least !), unless it's this > like I say you really need to be a little more precise.

Even if you have lost your Resources folder for some bizarre reason, you can always just get someone with an unadulterated Resources folder to zip it up and send it to you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search