The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic X always clipping / Lack of Headroom
Old 26th July 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Logic X always clipping / Lack of Headroom

Hi i'm new to the forum

Any1 else having a problem with the lack of headroom?

On logic 9 i'd normally have all my individual drum tracks at about -4 or -5 and have no problem with clipping! With the Drum bus still having a couple (2-3 Dbs) headroom left!

On first few projects on Logic x i'm having to really turn the individual tracks down! For example on my current project i have all my individual drum tracks on -10 and the drum bus is still clipping! Yet its actually very quiet!

All the samples i'm using in these examples are from the same sample bank so difference in volumes is minimal! Whereas the difference between X and pro 9 is huge! This problem is actually making Logic x unusable

Any1 else experiencing this?

ps the adaptive limiter isn't behaving as it did in pro 9! Even when i set the out ceiling to -0.1 it can still clip (same with the L2 Limiter from Waves)

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 26th July 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
Check the 'Master' fader level. It's probably a dB or two proud.
This has caught me out a couple of times before. Everything is working as expected here.
Old 26th July 2013
  #3
Gear Maniac
My version is fine. No problems.
Old 27th July 2013
  #4
Gear Nut
I had this issue but in my case I had forgotten to turn off output mirroring between versions. Been a while since I used Logic and LX started up using my L9 prefs.
Old 29th July 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
I admit, i'm confused. I'm not to savy with understanding the principles behind db's/clipping. Can someone explain to me why there's a difference in LX vs L9 in reference to this pic? It's the exact same ES1 plugin, same preset, both set at 0db. Why is the level meters going into the yellow in LX?
Attached Thumbnails
Logic X always clipping / Lack of Headroom-screen-shot-2013-07-29-1.50.34-am.png  
Old 29th July 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
degas's Avatar
 

Different pan laws?
Old 29th July 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Have you checked the 'scaling' in the mixer preferences? I suspect your answer is in there.
Old 29th July 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Looks like it's set to linear (sectional linear or something) rather than exponential in LPX...
Old 29th July 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Lee Wilson's Avatar
Yep, like the others have said, it looks like Logic 9 is set on Exponential, while Logic X is set on Sectional dB-linear.

Change Logic X back to Exponential if you want the same level read out as Logic 9.

Note: this is only effecting the level display, the actual level doesn't change.
Old 29th July 2013
  #10
Here for the gear
 
Thulo's Avatar
 

Looks exactly like a pre fader/post fader metering issue.
Logic 9 came with post metering as standard witch is totally useless.
They probably changed the standard in LX.
I'm still on L9 so i can't check.
Old 29th July 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulo View Post
Looks exactly like a pre fader/post fader metering issue.
Logic 9 came with post metering as standard witch is totally useless.
They probably changed the standard in LX.
I'm still on L9 so i can't check.
Isn't pre as default. The Logic X in the picture is not pre fader because the meter is not at the left side of the slider.
Old 29th July 2013
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for your responses so far! Much appreciated!

I can't find the mixer preferences in Logic x to change it from exponential to sectional though

Where is "mixer preferences" located?
Old 29th July 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swift View Post
Thanks for your responses so far! Much appreciated!

I can't find the mixer preferences in Logic x to change it from exponential to sectional though

Where is "mixer preferences" located?
Preferences - Display - Mixer
Old 29th July 2013
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Preferences - Display - Mixer
Cheers mate
Old 29th July 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swift View Post
Cheers mate


You're welcome!
Old 29th July 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
Thanks for all the replies, when i get home from work i'm gonna investigate those settings....
Old 29th July 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
RedTuxedo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Preferences - Display - Mixer
Also just right click/control click on the far left of the mixer, where the levels are displayed.

Old 29th July 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Raddler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Looks like it's set to linear (sectional linear or something) rather than exponential in LPX...
Yup, that did it. Thanks a lot.
Old 30th July 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
RedTuxedo's Avatar
I would highly recommend you keep it on Sectional though. Specially if you're recording vocals or live instruments.

You'll find you have more headroom in your master fader.
Old 30th July 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
You don't have any more headroom either way, you're simply changing the display scale. However one of those two does also give you more fader travel within the upper range too...
Old 30th July 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
RedTuxedo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
You don't have any more headroom either way, you're simply changing the display scale. However one of those two does also give you more fader travel within the upper range too...
Yes. That is correct. But if you are gauging your levels based on what the meter is telling you, and "aim" for the center if the meter or just above, having it set on Sectional will offer you much more headroom at the master fader.

From what I've gathered, the OP is using visual cues to come to the conclusion of more headroom.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swift View Post
Hi i'm new to the forum

Any1 else having a problem with the lack of headroom?

On logic 9 i'd normally have all my individual drum tracks at about -4 or -5 and have no problem with clipping! With the Drum bus still having a couple (2-3 Dbs) headroom left!

On first few projects on Logic x i'm having to really turn the individual tracks down! For example on my current project i have all my individual drum tracks on -10 and the drum bus is still clipping! Yet its actually very quiet!

All the samples i'm using in these examples are from the same sample bank so difference in volumes is minimal! Whereas the difference between X and pro 9 is huge! This problem is actually making Logic x unusable

Any1 else experiencing this?

ps the adaptive limiter isn't behaving as it did in pro 9! Even when i set the out ceiling to -0.1 it can still clip (same with the L2 Limiter from Waves)

Any help would be much appreciated
i was wondering the same thing, it was hard enough to switch from 9 to X, the last thing i want is for the meters to look hotter than they are.
Old 23rd December 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
One of the best things you can spend $10 on is the Klanghelm VU meter plugin. I use it everywhere set at -18 VU....when tracking to set levels, post plugins to keep gain in check, on buses to have a quick gain knob to pull back if needed, on master bus pre compressor and another after limiting set to -10 VU so I can get my output hot.
Old 29th August 2019
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Hey Ya'll I'm new to the whole mixing world and am completely stumped. Definitely need help. On Logic Pro X my tracks are always clipping. even when all my faders and master volume are turned all the way down they are still clipping. Any advice?
Old 29th August 2019
  #25
Gear Addict
 
Jay Asher's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_kalahan View Post
Hey Ya'll I'm new to the whole mixing world and am completely stumped. Definitely need help. On Logic Pro X my tracks are always clipping. even when all my faders and master volume are turned all the way down they are still clipping. Any advice?

See my reply in the other thread dealing with this.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump