The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to install Logic Pro X Content to External HD?
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

How to install Logic Pro X Content to External HD?

I looking for some advice on how to install the Logic Pro X content to an external hard drive.
Also to make a backup of the content so if I ever need to reinstall Logic, I won't need to download everything all over again.

Has anyone successfully done this with no problems?.

Many Thanks,

Noodlez.
Old 19th July 2013
Here for the gear

I'm looking for an answer on this as well.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycutter View Post
I'm looking for an answer on this as well.

Let us know how you get on.
I just found this on the Apple Support Communities Forum, haven't tried it yet myself as I'm still in the middle of downloading all my Logic content but hopefully it will work.

1. Using the Finders 'Go to Folder' menu option, enter "/private/var/folders/" (without the quotes).

2. A look in the various folders will reveal folder called "com.apple.MusicApps".

3. Inside, there's a folder called "audiocontentdownload.apple.com".

4. Finally, inside here is a folder called "lp10_ms3_content_2013". The downloaded content packages are temporarily stored here.

5. Once downloading of a package is complete, Logic Pro X will prompt for your Admin password before completing the installation process.

6. Before entering the password, copy the content installer packages to another location.

7. The installation can then be carried out (and the original packages will be automatically deleted by the install process).

If anyone finds this helpful please let me know

Many thanks

Noodlez
Old 20th July 2013
how to post things about Logic Pro X:

1. go to the Logic Pro X forum
2. post
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

This is the method I used and it works without issue.

From the user Seisend, over at the Apple Support forums-

"1. Download this for free:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

2. Copy original 'Logic' Folder located in /Volumes/"DRIVE NAME"/Library/Application Support/ on the desired external drive and location.This is the location where all your additional content is beeing installed to.

3. You can delete the original folder or rename it and use it as a backup.

4. Use the symbolic link tool to create a symbolic link from the 'Logic' file which has been copied to your external drive.
Place the link (which looks like an alias) to its previous destination (/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/) and rename it to 'Logic'.

5. After this you will be able to download additional content.

6. Be aware if you want to download 30 GB of content and your SSD has just 20GB free space, it will show you the same error message because it stores the download file still on your SSD until installation is done. The solution for this is to download everything part by part."
Old 20th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post

2. post
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post

2. post
Jees...Ya learn summin everyday!.. :-D
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

i just finished downloading the content, after reading these couple of ways to do this can we summarize?

1) where is the extra content on my Main drive?

2) how do i move it to my external HD? and then link it to logic?

sorry, Logic noob here and the 2 ways posted here i am not following to well when trying them

thanks
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i just finished downloading the content, after reading these couple of ways to do this can we summarize?

1) where is the extra content on my Main drive?

2) how do i move it to my external HD? and then link it to logic?

sorry, Logic noob here and the 2 ways posted here i am not following to well when trying them

thanks
You will find all the content of Logic stored in /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic

To move the Logic content to another hard drive you first

1 - Install this https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

2 - Then copy the Logic folder you found in /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic to your preferred hard drive.

3 - Delete or just rename the original Logic folder in /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic to something like "Logic Backup" to be safe.

4 - Right click on the Logic file which you copied to your preferred hard drive then place the new created link (should say "Logic symlink") to its previous destination (/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/) and rename it to just "Logic".

Thats it!

Hope its more clear now

Noodlez
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

i dont have a library/services folder

i am nervous messing with all this. i will just keep them on the main HD

thanks though
Old 21st July 2013
Quote:
i dont have a library/services folder
You do - it's just probably hidden under mountain Lion. Otherwise your mac wouldn't work

Quote:
i am nervous messing with all this. i will just keep them on the main HD

thanks though
I think you can install it and choose where you install it initially....if that helps.
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

Let me get this straight. There are actually two folders in the system library that's going to be holding samples that I know of.

1) Application Support > Logic. This holds all the EXS and Ultrabeat instruments and samples, plus the Drummer and its samples, an a lot of other stuff that doesn't have associated samples... settings, templates, controls, strips, patches, key commands, etc that can stay right where they are.

So theoretically the only stuff I'd want to remove from that 'Logic' folder and 'symbolize' over to my ext samples hdd, are just the EXS, Ultrabeat and Drummer sample folders (Hang on, Drummer samples are in the EXS sample folder)
The instruments presets themselves can stay right where they are.

2) Library > Audio

This is where the Apple Loops folder resides. That is the only folder that is holding samples in there. That can go to the ext hdd as well.

So I would then symbolically link copied exs and ultrabeat sample folders over to the external and then just the Apple Loops folder.

Am I all correct here? Or I can just copy the folders over and leave their aliases back in place on the system I guess.

This is curious though. I already had all my jam packs installed on the external from Logic 9. However, even though it wasn't supposed to as far as I told the LX content installer, it installed the jampacks anyway onto my system > library > audio

Now I just checked and see that they have identical content, HOWEVER, the newly installed jam pack files are roughly twice the file size as the ones on the external. They're both CAF, same length and sound. Weird.
Old 21st July 2013
let's not forget impulse responses...
/Library/Audio/Impluse Responses
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

how do you unhide them then? that folder is not on my newer macbook pro or on the older mac pro

both on 10.8.4

so is there a concensus on what all needs moved with that 30 gig download and where and how? on the old mac pro its important for me cause taking up 30 gigs on my system drive is leaving me 30 gigs of space now max
Old 22nd July 2013
Gear Addict
Got this reply from an apple Support staff as I want to upgrade the hard to a SSD soon and was wondering about what to do about reloading the software.

I understand that you are wondering that when you buy Logic Pro X, if you will need to repurchase it when you move to a system with a SSD. I can certainly appreciate your concern as Logic is not a cheap application. My name is Jeremy and I would be more than happy to help you out with this today.

I have looked into this for you, and I found that you can redownload apps you have purchased from the Mac App Store without incurring additional charges as long as the application is still available on the Mac App Store.

To learn how to redownload apps on the Mac App Store, please refer to the steps in this article:

Mac App Store: Backing up your app purchases
Mac App Store: Backing up your app purchases

If you lose your purchases, you can restore the items from your backups. This article explains how to back up your library:

iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive
iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

If you're using a Mac, you can back up your library automatically with Time Machine. This article will show you how:

Mac 101: Time Machine
Mac Basics: Time Machine

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this issue, please let me know and I would be more than happy to address them for you. Thank you very much for being part of the iTunes Store family, and I hope you have a great day

Sincerely,

Jeremy
iTunes Store Customer Support
Apple - Support - Country Selector
Old 22nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Well, that's not very helpful, Jeremy.

how come you're talking to an iTunes Store guy?
Old 2nd August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
You will find all the content of Logic stored in /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic

1 - Install this https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

2 - Then copy the Logic folder you found in /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic to your preferred hard drive.

3 - Delete or just rename the original Logic folder in /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic to something like "Logic Backup" to be safe.

4 - Right click on the Logic file which you copied to your preferred hard drive then place the new created link (should say "Logic symlink") to its previous destination (/Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/) and rename it to just "Logic".

Noodlez
I have followed all these steps and everything seems to work properly and without problems
Thank you for all these excellent explanations
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

I couldn't get the linker to work

and is this the only folder of content or are there others?

i just left it all on my main HD
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear
How much different is the content in Logic X to what came with logic 9? I don't really use much of it but in older projects where I may have done, I'd like to make sure the sounds still load

I have it all on a disk so could I just drop it onto the media window like I could in older versions?
Old 6th May 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys, I've been trying to get this to work for the Apple Loops in the Audio file. Do you know if there is a way I can get this to work?
Old 24th July 2015
Here for the gear

Hey Guys, Im Wondering if there is anyway to have your Logic Content on 2 separate drives , so if ones not plugged in, and the other one is Logic would still open without any installations..Anyone have any ideas???? This Is Driving Me BONKERS!!!!!!!
Old 24th July 2015
Here for the gear

Haveing your Logic Content/Libraries on 2 separate External drives

Hey Guys, Im Wondering if there is anyway to have your Logic Content/Libraries on 2 separate External drives , so if ones not plugged in, and the other one is Logic would still open without any installations..Anyone have any ideas???? This Is Driving Me BONKERS!!!!!!!
Old 30th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
I just found this on the Apple Support Communities Forum, haven't tried it yet myself as I'm still in the middle of downloading all my Logic content but hopefully it will work.

1. Using the Finders 'Go to Folder' menu option, enter "/private/var/folders/" (without the quotes).

2. A look in the various folders will reveal folder called "com.apple.MusicApps".

3. Inside, there's a folder called "audiocontentdownload.apple.com".

4. Finally, inside here is a folder called "lp10_ms3_content_2013". The downloaded content packages are temporarily stored here.

5. Once downloading of a package is complete, Logic Pro X will prompt for your Admin password before completing the installation process.

6. Before entering the password, copy the content installer packages to another location.

7. The installation can then be carried out (and the original packages will be automatically deleted by the install process).

If anyone finds this helpful please let me know

Many thanks

Noodlez

Has no one even tried this method, I'm curious to know if it works. I've got some free time on my hands, and will be doing a clean install of OS X because I don't want to do the incremental beta versions that are seeded anymore. This will also give me an opportunity to install Logic clean, but would like to do it the right way.

The Symlinker method isn't exactly straight forward and one mistake can make the whole process a waste of time. It would sure be nice if Apple simply had it built in to ask where you'd like to install these things.

D
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

I had trouble with the symlinker app. It's much better to create symbolic links from the command line. A symbolic Link is like an "alias" or a "shortcut" except that it works at a deeper level in the OS, so it totally fools applications into thinking it's a folder.

There are GarageBand and Logic folders in /Library/Application Support on your boot drive that you will want be redirected to your desired target drive. You do this by creating symbolic links that redirect any read or write by apps to more spacious locations on what we'll call your target drive. Logic will thus go to your target drive to use loops etc, and when it downloads loops etc from Apple it will store them there. A symbolic link can make your target drive look like part of your boot drive.

In my case I have a big spacious drive called BIG where I have a top level folder called /Library, where I've built an Application Support folder into which I've copied the Logic and the GarageBand folders from the boot drive's /Library/Application Support folder. So let's look at how we make this location on BIG replace the one on the overly crowded boot drive.

Start by finding these folders in /Library/Application Support on your boot drive.

After copying them to your target drive, rename the original folders on the boot drive to GarageBand.NOT and Logic.NOT. This is temporary. That way if something goes wrong you can delete any symlinks and name the folder back by removing the .NOT at the end of the name, and it will be like before. Ok so far? Later we'll delete these extras.

Then the symlinks will be built on the boot drive using these two command lines (you will be asked your password). Note that the syntax lists the "target" of the symlink followed by its location, i.e. the "source".

sudo ln -s "/Volumes/BIG/Library/Application Support/Logic” “/Library/Application Support/Logic"

sudo ln -s "/Volumes/BIG/Library/Application Support/GarageBand” “/Library/Application Support/GarageBand"

In /Library/Application Support you will now see the 2 symlinks. They look like folders with a little arrow, and if you navigate through them with the finder you will land in the content on the BIG drive. Very cool.

So far so good? In /Library/Audio you will find an Apple Loops folder. Make an Apple Loops folder in your target drive's /Library/Audio folder and copy the Apple Loops folder there. Then repeat the symlinking by using the following command:

sudo ln -s "/Volumes/BIG/Library/Audio/Apple Loops” “/Library/Audio/Apple Loops”

If you are tight on space, and why else would you do this, delete the original folders on the boot drive after backing them up and checking that everything works.

Once you set up the symbolic links, additional downloads will go to the target drive automatically. You can pick when to set up the symlinks, and when to delete the files off the boot drive.

I hope this helps. It works just fine. If it makes no sense, either I am being unclear, and please tell me, or you need to read up on Unix file concepts a little before you try it.

I agree that Apple really should make installations more flexible. The reason they don't is because it's much more work to write programs that don't fall apart if data locations change, and because they assume most mac users are not very technical. So they should just spend more money on bigger drives and stuff ;-)

Last edited by Fernand; 1st August 2015 at 10:35 AM..
Old 1st October 2015
Here for the gear

I have a quick question as I am trying to set all this up. I have one external drive that I use to record my sessions into and another that holds my virtual instruments/samples. Should I have my virtual instruments and samples on two seperate drives or is it better to keep the samples with the instruments. I am trying to find the best way to utilize my cpu in Logic Pro X as it keeps overloading. I am about to delete everything off my iMac and start fresh and will be using FireWire 800 external drives.

P.s. What are these impulse responses I keeping hearing about.
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
I had trouble with the symlinker app. It's much better to create symbolic links from the command line. A symbolic Link is like an "alias" or a "shortcut" except that it works at a deeper level in the OS, so it totally fools applications into thinking it's a folder.

There are GarageBand and Logic folders in /Library/Application Support on your boot drive that you will want be redirected to your desired target drive. You do this by creating symbolic links that redirect any read or write by apps to more spacious locations on what we'll call your target drive. Logic will thus go to your target drive to use loops etc, and when it downloads loops etc from Apple it will store them there. A symbolic link can make your target drive look like part of your boot drive.

In my case I have a big spacious drive called BIG where I have a top level folder called /Library, where I've built an Application Support folder into which I've copied the Logic and the GarageBand folders from the boot drive's /Library/Application Support folder. So let's look at how we make this location on BIG replace the one on the overly crowded boot drive.

Start by finding these folders in /Library/Application Support on your boot drive.

After copying them to your target drive, rename the original folders on the boot drive to GarageBand.NOT and Logic.NOT. This is temporary. That way if something goes wrong you can delete any symlinks and name the folder back by removing the .NOT at the end of the name, and it will be like before. Ok so far? Later we'll delete these extras.

Then the symlinks will be built on the boot drive using these two command lines (you will be asked your password). Note that the syntax lists the "target" of the symlink followed by its location, i.e. the "source".

sudo ln -s "/Volumes/BIG/Library/Application Support/Logic” “/Library/Application Support/Logic"

sudo ln -s "/Volumes/BIG/Library/Application Support/GarageBand” “/Library/Application Support/GarageBand"

In /Library/Application Support you will now see the 2 symlinks. They look like folders with a little arrow, and if you navigate through them with the finder you will land in the content on the BIG drive. Very cool.

So far so good? In /Library/Audio you will find an Apple Loops folder. Make an Apple Loops folder in your target drive's /Library/Audio folder and copy the Apple Loops folder there. Then repeat the symlinking by using the following command:

sudo ln -s "/Volumes/BIG/Library/Audio/Apple Loops” “/Library/Audio/Apple Loops”

If you are tight on space, and why else would you do this, delete the original folders on the boot drive after backing them up and checking that everything works.

Once you set up the symbolic links, additional downloads will go to the target drive automatically. You can pick when to set up the symlinks, and when to delete the files off the boot drive.

I hope this helps. It works just fine. If it makes no sense, either I am being unclear, and please tell me, or you need to read up on Unix file concepts a little before you try it.

I agree that Apple really should make installations more flexible. The reason they don't is because it's much more work to write programs that don't fall apart if data locations change, and because they assume most mac users are not very technical. So they should just spend more money on bigger drives and stuff ;-)
Thanks for posting this. It looks like it should be very helpful. I used the command lines (I'm on 10.10.5 if that makes a difference), substituting the name of my target drive for your "BIG", but the symlinks aren't showing up in my Library/Application Support folder. But, when I try to run the command line again, it says "file exists", so something happened. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Myles

EDIT: I found the symlinks in my /Users folder. However, when I double-click, it says the original source can't be found. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Myles

Last edited by myles; 20th May 2016 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: More questions
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Since I've been asked this question numerous of times I wrote a little post about it with some background on why you want to take this route.

How to move Logic's additional content to a secondary drive - Logic Pro Music
Old 20th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBradley View Post
Since I've been asked this question numerous of times I wrote a little post about it with some background on why you want to take this route.

How to move Logic's additional content to a secondary drive - Logic Pro Music
Hi Eric -

Thanks for the very clear instructions on your blog, they're really helpful.

I'm still having problems, due, I'm sure, to an error on my part, but I don't know enough about what I'm doing to figure it out.

I followed your step-by-step to create the symlink, which shows up in the top level of my Home directory, not in Application Support. If I move the symlink to the Application Support folder, and double-click on the symlink, it gives this message:

"The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Logic" can't be found."

And if I open Logic, it starts to download the basic package again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Myles

EDIT: One thing that I'm uncertain about is this - if I drag the Application Support folder to the Terminal after dragging the Logic folder on the external drive into terminal, there's a space between "Logic" (the name of the folder on the external drive) and /Library/Application Support/. If I press enter, I get a "permission denied" message. If I delete the space, I get the symlink as described above, in the top level of my home folder, and it doesn't work.

EDIT 2: I get the "permission denied" message using the SymLinker app as well. Does this have to do with System Integrity restrictions in Yosemite?

Last edited by myles; 20th May 2016 at 10:27 PM..
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

bump for an answer on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
Hi Eric -

Thanks for the very clear instructions on your blog, they're really helpful.

I'm still having problems, due, I'm sure, to an error on my part, but I don't know enough about what I'm doing to figure it out.

I followed your step-by-step to create the symlink, which shows up in the top level of my Home directory, not in Application Support. If I move the symlink to the Application Support folder, and double-click on the symlink, it gives this message:

"The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Logic" can't be found."

And if I open Logic, it starts to download the basic package again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Myles

EDIT: One thing that I'm uncertain about is this - if I drag the Application Support folder to the Terminal after dragging the Logic folder on the external drive into terminal, there's a space between "Logic" (the name of the folder on the external drive) and /Library/Application Support/. If I press enter, I get a "permission denied" message. If I delete the space, I get the symlink as described above, in the top level of my home folder, and it doesn't work.

EDIT 2: I get the "permission denied" message using the SymLinker app as well. Does this have to do with System Integrity restrictions in Yosemite?
Old 4th June 2016
Its because he forgot the one critical step to creating ANYTHING in the /Library (or any protected system) folder from the command line. You need to use the sudo command to give you root access to write to them..

This command "ln -s /Volumes/[NAME OF YOUR DISK]/Logic\ Content/Logic /Library/Application\ Support/Logic" is never going to work unless you use "sudo ln -s /Volumes/[NAME OF YOUR DISK]/Logic\ Content/Logic /Library/Application\ Support/Logic" and then type your admin password afterwards. It shouldn't show up in your Home directory unless you use "~/Library", you should just get a permission denied message instead. Symlinks don't work in OS X's GUI like they do from the command line. You can't copy them around without properly setting permissions for them. The subsystem might be Unix based, so you would think it would be that easy, but there is a lot of Apple on top of it that keeps people that don't know what they're doing from screwing things up which you can do very easily from the terminal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search