The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple Logic X rumours DAW Software
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Seward View Post
That's what I heard!
i just heard that right now so i'm sure that's what it is
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Siri is an iOS application, so I have doubts it will come to OSX
iOS is derived from MacOS.

Siri is a combination of voice recognition software from an exclusive license from Nuance, along with proprietary software on the phone but more importantly on the server-side.

Apple is deliberately withholding Siri from other devices while in beta (for example the iPad 2 has the same specs as the iPhone 4s [as long as you add a mic]) but there's really little stopping them from releasing it for the Mac in 2012.

Kevin Rose (founder of Digg.com) tweeted a month ago that he'd heard that Siri would come to the Mac in 2012.

Similarly, iOS exclusively has iMessage (free iOS-to-iOS texting) and AirPlay (mirror anything onscreen to a TV) but there are reports that they too are in development for the Mac.
Old 29th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermoog View Post
Today I heard in a german podcast (Cubase Tutorial Recording Software Synthesizer VST AU), that the biggest german musicdealer Thomann are removing Logic 9 from the assortment.
A good sign, Logic X will be there soon
It's more or less the same thing up here in Scandinavia too.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skira View Post

Siri is a combination of voice recognition software from an exclusive license from Nuance, along with proprietary software on the phone but more importantly on the server-side.

Apple is deliberately withholding Siri from other devices while in beta (for example the iPad 2 has the same specs as the iPhone 4s [as long as you add a mic]) but there's really little stopping them from releasing it for the Mac in 2012.

Kevin Rose (founder of Digg.com) tweeted a month ago that he'd heard that Siri would come to the Mac in 2012.

Similarly, iOS exclusively has iMessage (free iOS-to-iOS texting) and AirPlay (mirror anything onscreen to a TV) but there are reports that they too are in development for the Mac.
there's another rumor that apple are going to release a line of TVs. so putting it all together with OSX would be obvious if that rumor is true.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, I know, but it does not mean that you can exchange software on platforms without reprogramming and as you stated yourself it has server sided software elements so that adds a number of variables to the quotation (and I'm not even going into bothering about the peripherals you need to communicate to/through Siri).

Quote:
??, Siri is not in beta (otherwise Apple would not even have bothered to release it). Exactly the fact that Apple can not control the user experience when users would need to hook up their own peripherals (=mics in this case) is the reason they won't release Siri for those devices.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Siri is in beta.
Old 30th November 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
i just heard that right now so i'm sure that's what it is
Now it must be true.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
yes, I know, but it does not mean that you can exchange software on platforms without reprogramming .
So? You said it was unlikely to come to OSX and I explained why it wouldn't be too difficult, then I pointed out that some people with inside connections say that it (and other currently iOS-only features) will be coming to OSX.

Quote:
??, Siri is not in beta (otherwise Apple would not even have bothered to release it).
No. Look for yourself:

"Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access."

I think your understanding of the word 'beta' is different from the way most developers use it.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post
there's another rumor that apple are going to release a line of TVs. so putting it all together with OSX would be obvious if that rumor is true.
I think Apple is planning on leveraging Siri technology fast, wide and far. Already people have hacked jailbroken iPhones to make Siri do all sorts of things, ranging from starting your car, checking and changing your home thermostat, and controlling your TV with the Plex app. It makes perfect sense to integrate it (and Nuance's voice-recognition technology) into Mac OSX, since all Macs have more than enough processing power, and all Macs exceptthe Mini have integrated mics.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Apple is planning on leveraging Siri technology fast, wide and far. Already people have hacked jailbroken iPhones to make Siri do all sorts of things, ranging from starting your car, checking and changing your home thermostat, and controlling your TV with the Plex app. It makes perfect sense to integrate it (and Nuance's voice-recognition technology) into Mac OSX, since all Macs have more than enough processing power, and all Macs exceptthe Mini have integrated mics.
i'm sure they would find a way to stick a mic into the little white apple remote as well for people who don't own an iphone... especially if they do come out w/some TV's. but i imagine they'd make some new remote that did everything and wins a design award for being the "best remote ever made what were all other previous remotes made by idiots?" type of remote.

they could just stick a mac mini in a nice LED TV, iphone/ipad APP and/or a nice remote and that would be quite complete.
Old 30th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermoog View Post
Today I heard in a german podcast (Cubase Tutorial Recording Software Synthesizer VST AU), that the biggest german musicdealer Thomann are removing Logic 9 from the assortment.
A good sign, Logic X will be there soon
Well lets hope it doesn't mean that it's discontinued
Old 30th November 2011
A quick glance at Thomann's website shows plenty in stock... doesn't look like it's "being pulled" at all.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

This whole thread is a JOKE and should be locked by the MODERATOR.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
This whole thread is a JOKE and should be locked by the MODERATOR.
Logic speculation threads are evergreen and inevitable. Better to just keep it all in one place. If it's shut down, it's only a matter of time before one or two more pop up.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
A quick glance at Thomann's website shows plenty in stock... doesn't look like it's "being pulled" at all.
the mod from the german podcast is working close with Thomann
and think as a Logic user he is just as worried as everybody else on the forum on the future of Logic
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
and think as a Logic user he is just as worried as everybody else on the forum on the future of Logic
"Everybody else" :-)

GS has thousands of members; many of us use Logic, and an extremely small but vocal minority seems, historically, to be worried about Logic 7 not being updated to Logic8, L8 to L9, L9 to L10 etc....

Logic is still for sale in the Apple store, and most likely there will be a new version some time in 2012. I haven't seen anything - anywhere - which suggests that there should be a reason for dramaqueening or to be worried... heh
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
"Everybody else" :-)

GS has thousands of members; many of us use Logic, and an extremely small but vocal minority seems, historically, to be worried about Logic 7 not being updated to Logic8, L8 to L9, L9 to L10 etc....

Logic is still for sale in the Apple store, and most likely there will be a new version some time in 2012. I haven't seen anything - anywhere - which suggests that there should be a reason for dramaqueening or to be worried... heh
Very true. Apple have actually had more updates (and quicker, too) with Logic 9 than they had with 8, if I'm not mistaken. We're on 9.1.5 now, yeah? That's not too shabby. Compare that with, say, Final Cut Express, which for a long time continued to be for sale despite the fact that it was not updated for what, 2 years?

Maybe I have my numbers wrong on all that, but my point is the same: I don't think we have to be worried based upon what we've seen over the past few months. We've had a few updates in that time, and I doubt Apple would continue throwing resources at Logic if they were going to kill the app. At least, that's my thought. But who knows what Apple is thinking besides Apple themselves, right?
Old 30th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
I read a long time but now felt to register and comment on that: This guy from german podcast is actually one of the biggest jokes music community has ever seen. He´s always talking about things he doesn´t really know about, all just speculations. But he´s good in giving the image he´s professional...which he´s not! He neither is a Logic Pro but a prof engineer. He used to be part of german techno scene in the 90s without being really famous. So that´s no problem at all if he wouldn´t act as "big" as he does! Don´t give a sh*** about his opinions, most of the time he´s just blablabla as most of his followers are lowest level german amateurs! He even mention that his last podcast inspired you guys to start this thread...hahaha!!
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Logic 9 is still for sale at apple.com. I love how it still has that "NEW" image next to it!
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Very true. Apple have actually had more updates (and quicker, too) with Logic 9 than they had with 8, if I'm not mistaken. We're on 9.1.5 now, yeah? That's not too shabby. Compare that with, say, Final Cut Express, which for a long time continued to be for sale despite the fact that it was not updated for what, 2 years?

Maybe I have my numbers wrong on all that, but my point is the same: I don't think we have to be worried based upon what we've seen over the past few months. We've had a few updates in that time, and I doubt Apple would continue throwing resources at Logic if they were going to kill the app. At least, that's my thought. But who knows what Apple is thinking besides Apple themselves, right?
On the other hand, back when eMagic were in charge, we went up to version 4.7 and 5.5.1, with lots of points in between! But yeah, they have been slightly better with updating version 9.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickflip View Post
On the other hand, back when eMagic were in charge, we went up to version 4.7 and 5.5.1, with lots of points in between! But yeah, they have been slightly better with updating version 9.
Definitely true. Emagic was all over updates. But that also seems to be something the industry as a whole has moved away from. It used to be we'd see major revisions happening at .5 increments, for example, but that doesn't really happen anymore. If there are significant updates, pretty much everybody does them as .0 updates now.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely true. Emagic was all over updates. But that also seems to be something the industry as a whole has moved away from. It used to be we'd see major revisions happening at .5 increments, for example, but that doesn't really happen anymore. If there are significant updates, pretty much everybody does them as .0 updates now.
Much more money to be made that way. Pro Tools is the perfect example of this. Since Avid took over they have been releasing a .0 every year for the past two years, at some seriously jacked up upgrade prices (they call them 'crossgrades' to try to justify it).
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear nut

Quote:

How versions are named has changed over history, it's quite funny. Now we got even linux 3.0, ...

So question becomes what do you do if the number get's to large?
Keep counting, I know of a few big softwares which are in the higher teens, but I am unaware of any version past 20.

Cubase went back to 1, first called it sx 1, then dropped back to plain numbers with version 4 if I recall correctly. Photoshop did something similar.

When the version number gets to high they give their products new hyper cool extension and count from 1 again.

So next logic could be logic x, what after it, 11 or x2, ....

There must be psychological reason why large version number are not as good for representing and selling softwares.

On the other end of the scale there are some open source software dev that release 45 versions before 1.0.0, for those guys the leading 0 is decoration.

One could probably write a book about the psychology of version naming .
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure why anyone even thinks Logic X is imminent.

You would think if it were that important to them it would have been released before or at the same time as PTX. I just don't see Logic as a big deal for Apple, by a long shot.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Long, long-time Logic user here (from the 90s) but I must confess I'm getting itchy. It's clear the Logic team were switched over to Garageband to get the iPhone version out and it's equally clear that the Mac and particularly the pro end is no longer a priority in Cupertino (it now represents a vanishingly small part of their revenue stream). The EOLing of the Mac Pro is a straw in the wind.

I actually thought that Final Cut Pro X was a giant leap forward (the whole pro pearl-clutching thing was vastly overdone) and if they did the same with Logic I'd be delighted but I suspect that the negative publicity on FCPX may have given them cold feet.

My biggest gripe over Logic is the complete radio silence from Apple. Logic 9 feels very dated to me. I've been using Studio One and it makes Logic look very shabby and slow but the best part is that the developer seems to be hungry and responsive. So I'm about an inch from jumping ship, and only really hanging on because I hope that Logic X might be something special. But every day I use Studio One I like it more - almost *everything* is easier and more logical.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

If silence about future products is a problem for you, is ut really a good ida to use a Mac in the first place?

I haven't used FCP much, but I think the problem ith the update wasn't that it had changed, but that some old features were (temp.) gone.

The great thing with new major updates is that there are new, fun tools and features to use - and the great thing with being 2-3 years after a major release (9 releases/subreleases of Logic 9 since mid 2009) is that stabilty (etc) issues have been sorted out since the last major release.

I think I downloaded a StudioOne demo at some point - will take another look at it obe day, and see if almost everything seems easier!
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
If silence about future products is a problem for you, is ut really a good ida to use a Mac in the first place?

I haven't used FCP much, but I think the problem ith the update wasn't that it had changed, but that some old features were (temp.) gone.

The great thing with new major updates is that there are new, fun tools and features to use - and the great thing with being 2-3 years after a major release (9 releases/subreleases of Logic 9 since mid 2009) is that stabilty (etc) issues have been sorted out since the last major release.

I think I downloaded a StudioOne demo at some point - will take another look at it obe day, and see if almost everything seems easier!
I have major stability issues with Logic on a a daily basis, but that's another story.

I wanted to like Studio One but found it insanely unintuitive. Got the demo, dragged a file onscreen, hit play. So far so good. Then trimmed the region inward a bit so a drum fill in the intro wouldn't be heard. Ooops! Still playing the drum intro, though onscreen the intro was no longer shown. I said, "Wow that's REALLY intuitive" and closed the demo

Also, no tempo mapping like Logic and Cubase, which may not be important to some but is a necessity for me.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear maniac

I want it to come out and to be good so I have a reason to make a fresh install with Lion and logic X/10
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I wanted to like Studio One but found it insanely unintuitive. Got the demo, dragged a file onscreen, hit play. So far so good. Then trimmed the region inward a bit so a drum fill in the intro wouldn't be heard. Ooops! Still playing the drum intro, though onscreen the intro was no longer shown. I said, "Wow that's REALLY intuitive" and closed the demo
I dunno what you did but that's not how it works. I had a bit of learning-curve vertigo the first couple of hours with it but at the end of the first day I was fine.

Quote:
Also, no tempo mapping like Logic and Cubase, which may not be important to some but is a necessity for me.
You can ctrl-drag bar lines in the tempo track and it then adjusts the tempo map. I'm not sure you can get more granular than that -- it's something I do a lot too.
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

It is December and if there is a LogicX ever to be released it will not be released now till 2012. Apple was a small company when they bought this pro app. I heard they only bought it for the search engine, which they quickly put into the top right hand corner of just about ever app. Apple is so massive now. If pro apps was 15% of Apples business a few years ago, now it would be lucky to be .01% (I'm totally making up these figures BTW).

I'm really struggling to even turn on my protools that I had to buy because my Logic8 did not work on my new iMac. I'm just so use to Logic. It has been the only DAW I have ever used. I'd love a new logic that will work on my new iMac but unless I get Logic9 (a product that is over two years old!) I'm becoming increasing doubtful by the day that there will ever be a LogicX.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search