The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro Multicore Benchmarktest ! Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear

When using a 32 bit plug in Logic 64, a bridge app is launched and you basically have two windows for each plug. One for the bridge, and after you click on it, the plug itself opens. It's inconvenient but it works.
Old 23rd February 2011
Gear Addict

Upgraded to an SSD 120gb OCZ Vertex with no improvement on Logic.
Old 24th February 2011
Gear addict

will be interesting to see what the new macbook pros with Quad cores can benchmark in this test.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlee View Post
will be interesting to see what the new macbook pros with Quad cores can benchmark in this test.
Yeah, does somebody want to stop by an Apple Store for us? heh
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
My days of being chained to a desktop computer might finally be at a permanent end.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

At the Apple Store. The MBP's don't have Logic loaded, but I've been messing around with GarageBand to see the battery hit. It doesn't look that good... probably about 2-3 hours with heavy CPU usage. Better than the 45 minutes - 1 hour my current MBP gets. Might start looking into some of those HyperMac batteries.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSc2 View Post
At the Apple Store. The MBP's don't have Logic loaded, but I've been messing around with GarageBand to see the battery hit. It doesn't look that good... probably about 2-3 hours with heavy CPU usage. Better than the 45 minutes - 1 hour my current MBP gets. Might start looking into some of those HyperMac batteries.
My 2009 2.53ghz C2D gets over three hours of solid logic use on battery... and that is powering a metric halo ULN-2 as well!!!1!!1111

What i want to know is how they'll test as well, considering the new MBP benchmarks just shy of the 2010 2.93 quad core iMac and BETTER than the 2010 2.8 quad core Mac Pro!!!

That is one quick laptop... About time though.

my guess is quad core 2.3ghz i7 4gb ram = 69 tracks, what does evryone else guess??
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

check here:

New MacBook Pro Benchmarks Show Massive Improvement - Mac Rumors

Mac Benchmarks

look and compare these pages...if the preliminary benchmark of 2011 MBP is what we see, you will have a dimension of the "jump" you should get with this new portable beast !
moreover i think actually Logic Pro is NOT optimized for this new CPUs !!

that said, next iMac revision should bring us a big step ahead with sandy bridge evolution, surpassing AGAIN most of the Mac Pro models.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
my guess is quad core 2.3ghz i7 4gb ram = 69 tracks, what does evryone else guess??
If it gets over 50, I'm in.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

the 2008 2,8ghz octocore Mac Pro is rated in the graph bars around 55 tracks, and the geekbench gave it a value of about 9.000.

the new sandy bridge MBP 2,3ghz is rated about or more 10.000...
i could suppose at least the same horse power reaching 55 or more tracks in the bench test.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
My bet is 60 tracks
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, now we are talking ! Finally laptops with quads ! And if there are no big Logic issues with them they will score pretty well in this test.

2.0 quad approx 50 !?!
2.2 Quad approx 55 !?!
2.3Quad approx 58 !?!

Or maybe slighty more actually, but it will be very impressiv anyway for a laptop.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Guru

I would still like to know average operating temperatures
of these new processors and really want to know how much heat
is generated by the upgraded 1 GB video card.
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

It should be on par with the i7 iMac. Around 60 tracks on the benchmark test.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Wonder why it maxes out at 8 gigs of ram?
They make 8 gig sticks of MacBook ram no?
Old 26th February 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I would still like to know average operating temperatures
of these new processors and really want to know how much heat
is generated by the upgraded 1 GB video card.
the intel chip has on chip graphics, only when more power is needed is the graphics 'switched'. so if you are not doing anything that outtaxes the onboard - no heat from the card.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Guru

If anyone has a machine with the Quad Core i7 or Dual Core i7,

It would be great if they could load Temperature Monitor .app
to see the processor operating temps.

It would be great to know that we don't need asbestos trousers
to run these new MBP's
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

I just got a Nehalem 2.26 8 core Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM. Did a fresh install of OS X and Logic. I can get about 96 tracks. I set the threads to 16 in Logic. Any other optimizations I can do to get it up to 110 or so? I was running at a buffer of 64.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear Addict

from FIRST post of this thread:

"Logic uses a fixed playback buffer which is ( not confirmed ) 512 samples so I/O buffersize and Process bufferrange doesn´t affect performance in this test as it is a playback only test.
But to be futureproof I recommend 256 samples and medium buffer.

It is though one parameter that affects performance and it is "Track Mute/Solo behaviour", it should always be set to "CPU saving" which I think is default. You find the parameter under preferences/general. There is also a parameter within EXS24 regarding virtual memory that affects performance which is default to the best setting.
"
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
If anyone has a machine with the Quad Core i7 or Dual Core i7,

It would be great if they could load Temperature Monitor .app
to see the processor operating temps.

It would be great to know that we don't need asbestos trousers
to run these new MBP's
I generally place my MBP on a desk...
Old 26th February 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
logic's internal buffer

small = 512

medium = 1024

large = 2048
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnewJack View Post
I did update. Still only shows 2 cores. I was however able to squeeze out 3 more tracks consistently. From 23 to 26 tracks. To see the cores, maybe I shouldn't have entered that code pre-update.
Go to logic app, tight click, "get info", turn off launch in 32 bit, it will now launch in 64 and you will see the virtual cores now. Too turn off, check the launch in 32 bit logic icon after clicking "get info" again.

Hope this helps. Someone.

Peace. We need Favor and prayer.
My mom in ICU, and that an accident we had, the damages are not that much so we can pay out of pocket as we need a decent used car and our rates are so low now. No accidents in 20 years.

Just saying, anything IS POSSIBLE WITH PRAYER AND FAITH!!!

Thank You!!!!!-!!!-!-!!

PS. Havens seen it but what does the Mac Pro hex 3.33 gets. Thanks.
Old 27th February 2011
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by composer View Post

PS. Havens seen it but what does the Mac Pro hex 3.33 gets. Thanks.
with 128 buffer and small logic process buffer range i get about 102...

some have reported 110. I can't get that high with my motu or internal audio.
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Head

Unhappy HELP!!

i just bought the new 2.2 i7 mac book pro today and installed 9.1.3 update ... in 64 bit mode im getting 16 tracks played and also in 32 bit mode...... change from automatic to 8 threads but nothing...... tried test on my mac mini and also 3 year old 2.4 core 2 duo macbook pro and still getting 16 tracks am i doing something wrong?
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Head

Cool

i think i fix it i had to change track mute solo behavior stupid stupid me i am testing 2.2ghz i7 quad macbook pro stock 4 gb ram ... will post review by sunday eastern time
Old 28th February 2011
Gear Head

Talking big smile on my face

i7 macbook pro 2.2 ghz quad core 4gb ddr3 runs 67 tracks in the high yellow field, 72 touching red with no system overload messages after 1 hour of play using 64 bit logic 9.1.3

only problem change processing threads from automatic to 8 threads but i see one thread barely in use .....probably for system usage. threads aren't evenly used.

in 32 bit 57 tracks in high yellow field

With both test only other program loaded was safari .....and this site just to give a real world situation to this test
Old 28th February 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabriciom View Post
Upgraded to an SSD 120gb OCZ Vertex with no improvement on Logic.
I assume you mean no improvement in this test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Audio View Post
i7 macbook pro 2.2 ghz quad core 4gb ddr3 runs 67 tracks in the high yellow field, 72 touching red with no system overload messages after 1 hour of play using 64 bit logic 9.1.3

only problem change processing threads from automatic to 8 threads but i see one thread barely in use .....probably for system usage. threads aren't evenly used.

in 32 bit 57 tracks in high yellow field

With both test only other program loaded was safari .....and this site just to give a real world situation to this test
Great Results.

Is there a noise issue at all with this laptop during Logic use from the fans?

If you mute your monitors during playback of a heavy session, maybe one The Fear Logic demo content or one of your own, how does it perform regarding fans use, and tempature (if you use iStat)?

Are we talking high end 15 or the 17?
Old 28th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Audio View Post
Great results mate! What was the buffer size and which audio interface did you use?
Old 28th February 2011
Gear interested

MBP 2011's and VI's

The track count info was super helpful - thank you for posting.

Would love to know how the new MBP's handle an orchestral session while driving picture...

Has anyone tried heavy CPU intensive VI's like Play or BFD2 etc? Reaktor?

Thanks
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a noise issue at all with this laptop during Logic use from the fans?
Yes, yes! Please report!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search