The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro Multicore Benchmarktest ! Audio Interfaces
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I live in Dallas. I went into the Apple store to see if they had any 2.8 8-cores left and decided to grab one. Since it had a 14 day return policy, I figured I'd have it in case the benchmarks of the new ones weren't worth the crazy high price.
The apple guy said that they are at end of life pricing of $2499 from normal list of $2799. This is the bare unit no upgrades. I filled out a tax exempt form there at the store. Texas has a production exemption from taxes, where you can exclude tax if you are using the hardware to produce a movie, music, whatever. So you fill out the form you pay no tax.

I was fully expecting to pay $2499 but when the guy rang it up it was $900 off from $2799. Against my better judgement, I even asked him about it and he said, "that's with the business discount". So apparently by filling out the tax form, it got me a biz discount that I had no idea of.

First they brought one out that had a hole in the box and looked pretty beat up. I asked for another one and they had one left. Brand spanking new 2/24/09 ship date.
These were the only two they had.

I told the guy I might want another one for a friend and he called the Southlake, TX apple store and the apple guy there, David Kriel called my house that night and told me he still had some and would love to sell me one. You can't call the stores, but if you go in one, they can check the other stores for you. I have the number of this guy in Southlake, but not on me.

So, they are still out there at the stores but in limited supply. I've been waiting for quite awhile, fully thinking I was going to get the Nahelam, but now I'm crazy stoked about my new box. The shipping tag even said "Merlin" on it which cracked me up.

up late installing my world on it last night.

whoo, hoo
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...ood/bouncy.gif
Wow, this is an amazing deal. I can get it at my Apple store too for $1899. Unfortunately I can't get the tax exempt thing for my business. Not sure what that would involve. Was dying for the latest model but may get this and save a boat load of cash.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 13th March 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you to all who shared this info of the special pricing on this thread. I found one as well. Super psyched. Recently mixed an 88.2 session on my aged Dual 2.0 G5 (1st gen) and was cursing at it the whole time.

One question for any of you. At one point I read an article on the web about installing the system software such that you are only installing the core components and apps of the OS. I did that with my G5 and it made a huge difference in performance. Those extra gigs of Chinese language fonts, etc really do bloat the system. With such a powerful computer as the 2.8x8, I don't know if it would make that much of a difference. Or would it?
Old 13th March 2009
Gear Addict

There is another pricing option. If you have an Apple Developer Connection membership you get from 20-25% off. The deal is that you have to pay for the membership. But if you are an IT student its only $99. I went this route because in the end I save a lot more than with just the student discount.
Draw backs are that you cant resell the computer in less than a year and the discount you only get it once.
Old 13th March 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
For all of you who is a bit confused over the "mute" feature in Logic.
You can actually mute a "track" in three ways in Logic and this test is unfortunately using two ways.

1. Mute the channelstrip which this test is NOT using.

2. Mute the region, if the "region bars" are slightly grayed out a logic pro guy can immiedately see that the region is muted and you have to unmute the region with the mute tool or the key command "m". For a non Logic guy I can see that this was a bit confusing, my fault...

3. Mute in the track header, the "M" on the trackheader is green,muted...
A bit off topic maybe, but muting the channelstrip and the track header is the same thing in Logic 8. Muting regions will release cpu resources unlike when you're muting the channelstrip or track header. Then the track will still be playing in the background.

What you are describing applies to Logic 7.
Old 16th March 2009
Gear interested

Macbook Pro 2.4, 4ram
with onboard audio: 25 tracks
with my Novation Xio interface I only had 1 (ONE) track running without overload!
Does it mean the driver sucks ???
Old 17th March 2009
Gear Addict

BlackBook Early 2008 2.4 2Gb...crapped out at 38
Old 17th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
BlackBook Early 2008 2.4 2Gb...crapped out at 38
Nice! I have the same computer but with 4GB (and it can be upgraded to 6GB). I was thinking of upgrading but in light of this I think I'll keep this computer.
Old 17th March 2009
cool thread,
wanting to move over to macland + logicworld
had no idea how to compare them, this gives me some basis

kinda poor assed student, so looking to get away with the minimum i can.
want something portable so thinking maybe the white macbook...
with upgraded (third party) RAM

but has anyone tried out the new mac mini?
Old 20th March 2009
Gear interested

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 2.26 GHz Nehalem w/16GB RAM

53 Tracks Clean
54 Tracks do-able

Both possible with a 128 or 256 buffer...

Anyone tested the 2.66 or 2.93 Nehalem?? I'm dying to see how much better these are than the 3.2 8-Core previous gen.
Old 20th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknows View Post

53 Tracks Clean
54 Tracks do-able

Anyone tested the 2.66 or 2.93 Nehalem?? I'm dying to see how much better these are than the 3.2 8-Core previous gen.
That's actually pretty disappointing...someone earlier posted 71 tracks with a 3.0 8-core and only 8GB RAM.

What do you get with a 1024 buffer?
Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneknows View Post

53 Tracks Clean
54 Tracks do-able

Can you launch Activity Monitor and check out the CPU performance meter (more accurate than Logic's CPU meter)? Someone reported that the current version of Logic seems to have problem with Hyperthreading and only 8 of the 16 virtual cores are used.

My Harpertown Octo 2.8GHz can play 64-65, your Nehalem MP should be albe to play more tracks when the next update fixes the problem.
Old 20th March 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMike View Post
That's actually pretty disappointing...someone earlier posted 71 tracks with a 3.0 8-core and only 8GB RAM.

What do you get with a 1024 buffer?
At 1024 things are worse... only like 43 Tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
Can you launch Activity Monitor and check out the CPU performance meter (more accurate than Logic's CPU meter)? Someone reported that the current version of Logic seems to have problem with Hyperthreading and only 8 of the 16 virtual cores are used.

My Harpertown Octo 2.8GHz can play 64-65, your Nehalem MP should be albe to play more tracks when the next update fixes the problem.
Logic shows that the 8th core is basically NOT being used, as I have been running this test with "live mode" off, that is NO track is record enabled... and according to an Apple support article, one of the cores is typically used for live mode which seems to be core 8 on mine and other Mac Pros that I've seen.

The other 7 cores are maxing out of course, and Activity Monitor shows this as well - although in Activity Monitor the 7 cores being used are not "in line" like they are in Logic, they're spread out - AND they're not exactly "maxing out" like they do in Logic.

Thus, Activity Monitor shows that the other 9 cores are basically not being used "too much"... that is some of them are showing some activity, a few are not showing any. So yes, this is probably due to the lack of Hyperthreading support, although I can't imagine that we'll be able to get that many more tracks out of the machine once a Hyperthreading update is released, mainly because they're not "as good" as having 8 more cores... some improvement hopefully, but we'll see.

I ran some more tests and was able to push it to about 58 tracks at 128 buffer (was worse at 256). But in reality this typical only works when you have tracks muted, start playback and unmute the tracks one at a time during playback. Once I get a core audio overload, I get a coreaudio overload immediatly once I being playback again. In order to get this amount of tracks to playback again from a stop, I have to re-mute tracks, playback and then unmute one at a time again.

Definitely disapointing... I'm sure we'll see some improvement with hyperthreading, but who knows.

Could have bought a 3.2 8-core previous gen Mac Pro earlier this week... for about 2K less then the new 2.66 8-Core... starting to think I should have. The Mac Pro I'm testing on is at the studio I work at... I have yet to purchase my own new Mac Pro. I'm eyeing the 2.66 8-core, but the extra expense is driving me crazy... with $1300 more (from the 2.26 price) I could buy a lot of gear.
Old 21st March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
Nice! I have the same computer but with 4GB (and it can be upgraded to 6GB). I was thinking of upgrading but in light of this I think I'll keep this computer.
Not me. Imupgrading. New MP.Stillundecided between quad and octo.
Old 21st March 2009
Gear interested

mid 2007 (Santa Rosa) MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz with 4GB RAM & 10.5.6,

16 tracks works 100% of the time, 17 tracks works 90% of the time.

Right now i'm considering an upgrade to one of the new 2.66Ghz MacBook Pros, has anyone got and tested one of these?

Kamil K - i see you have a 2.4Ghz MBP, is that the 2009 Unibody version? 25 tracks is quite a good improvement on my 17, nearly a 50% increase in track count!!
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

How to Turn OFF Hyperthreading

I came across this Japanese article showing how to turn off hyperthreading.
I thought it may be useful info for Nehalem Mac Pro users whose DAW has not supported HT yet.

Here's the procedure.
1) Install Xcode Tools included in your OSX Leopard disk#2.
2) Go to Developer -> Extras -> PreferencePanes on your HDD
3) Double-click Processor.prefPane, this will install an app called Processor.
4) Launch System Preference and you'll find this Processor.

You can turn off Hyperthreading using this.

Good Luck.

Old 22nd March 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunBoy 50 View Post
mid 2007 (Santa Rosa) MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz with 4GB RAM & 10.5.6,

Kamil K - i see you have a 2.4Ghz MBP, is that the 2009 Unibody version? 25 tracks is quite a good improvement on my 17, nearly a 50% increase in track count!!
No, it's the 2009 version of old model. I bought it when unibody was already out. The only thing I did was upgrading RAM to 4 gb (2X 2gb Kingston modules).
I just wonder why my score using onboard audio is 25 tracks and only one when I use Xio external interface ? Any ideas why is that ?
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear interested

i don't know man.

all i can think is that it hasn't just lost a bit of performance due to using an external box and the firewire bus being slow, its completely useless like something is horribly wrong. have you tried the obvious get the latest firmware and the latest drivers? when you have the external interface selected have you checked logic doesn't default to a 32 buffer or anything strange? have you seen anything in the Logic support forums of similar stories?

using the internal interface tho that's very impressive! good to see the newer machines are actually faster in real life than they look on paper
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Do you guys get crackles and pops or this message:

It does this every time at 60 tracks unmuted but it also does it as i remute the tracks back up to say 40 and i can also make it do it at lower track counts if i use the keyboard up or down arrow and the m key quickly.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.8 (early 2008) 16GB of RAM

damn now you've got me worrying dfegad
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

What Audio interface are you using? Mine is a RME Fireface 400 same computer specs as yours with 16GB of RAM and can only get 59-60 tops

Also is everyones Global settings set to 24bit 48Khz or does this file over write those settings (i'm worried)
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Maniac

funny, mac pro 8core 3.2 with 6gb ram, i can only run 57 tracks.

i'm on 10.5.6 with logic 8.0.2

no matter if i use tha motu pci-e driver or apples built in audio.

are you guys getting better results using any specific safety buffer settings or so?

my i/o safety buffer is off

don't know how the other one above the rewire setting is called in english, but mine is set to "small".

---
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

I tested with the Apogee Duet, the TC Konnekt 24D and the built-in audio, the results are nearly the same.

But I found the Process Buffer Range setting affects the number of tracks can be played. It is set to Large if you clean install L8 but if you changed this value yourself or upgraded from L7 (the default was Medium in L7 I believe) this value may be set to Medium or Small.

When I set it to Medium, I could play only 60. So don't worry about it. Curiously enough, the number of tracks is the same 60 with the Small setting.

Bottom Line: the same Process Buffer Range setting should be used for fair comparison.
Old 22nd March 2009
Home computer
Logic Pro 8.0.2

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 Gb RAM

Internal sound card

Process Buffer Range: Large
Tracks in test before overload: 24

Process Buffer Range: Medium
Tracks in test before overload: 23

Studio computer
(not tested yet)
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

I came across this Japanese article showing how to turn off hyperthreading.
I thought it may be useful info for Nehalem Mac Pro users whose DAW has not supported HT yet.

Here's the procedure.
1) Install Xcode included in your OSX Leopard disk.
2) Go to Developer -> Extras -> PreferencePanes on your HDD
3) Double-click Processor.prefPane, this will install an app called Processor.
4) Launch System Preference and you'll find this Processor.

You can turn off Hyperthreading using this.
But I've never tried myself as I'm using the previous gen MP

Good Luck.

Does this improve performace at all? Anyone one post difference of tracks with HT and without.

-Thanks
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear maniac

OK I must be doing something wrong...

Im on a mac pro 2.8 single quad 2gb RAM and I can run all the tracks. I even copied in another 5 tracks and they all play. Im up to 90 and its playing fine??? Judging by the results in this post I figure something still muted somewhere.
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyntime View Post
OK I must be doing something wrong...

Im on a mac pro 2.8 single quad 2gb RAM and I can run all the tracks. I even copied in another 5 tracks and they all play. Im up to 90 and its playing fine??? Judging by the results in this post I figure something still muted somewhere.
You can see if the level meters in the trackheader are moving, if not the MIDI regions are muted. Use the mute tool or key command "M" to unmute the regions
Your machine will play around 34 tracks I guess.
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
What Audio interface are you using? Mine is a RME Fireface 400 same computer specs as yours with 16GB of RAM and can only get 59-60 tops

Also is everyones Global settings set to 24bit 48Khz or does this file over write those settings (i'm worried)
The sample rate should be 44.1.

I changed card from 2600XT to the better 8800GT but strangely this slightly affected the trackscore in this test to 3 tracks worse...Have no idea why?
Also soundcard can make some difference, not much though.
But around 60 tracks +- 5 tracks on a octa 2.8 early 2008 is a correct result.
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Ah cool so i'm in the playing field, happy now
Old 24th March 2009
Here for the gear

Unhappy

12 @ 512,
6 @ 256,
4 @ 128.

on a Mb Pro 2.5 GHz Core Duo...is that normal? so low...
Old 24th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
12 @ 512,
6 @ 256,
4 @ 128.

on a Mb Pro 2.5 GHz Core Duo...is that normal? so low...
That's too low.
Have you removed the battery?
It's stupid but OSX seems to forcibly set the CPU into SpeedStep mode and the performance is greatly lowered when the battery is removed even if power is fed from the adapter.

Also check out System Preferences > Energy Saver, set the upper two values to Power Adapter and Better Performance.
Old 24th March 2009
Here for the gear

Battery is in and charging. I changed the settings to better performance.
This didn't do anything, but in Logic I changed the process buffer to large;
now I can do 19 at 128, but 17 at 512.
BTW I have 4 GB RAM.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search