The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro Multicore Benchmarktest ! Audio Interfaces
Old 10th March 2009
  #31
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
thanks Evan for coming up with this test.
I ran it on my dual 2.3 G5 8gb ram. With 256 buffer I get 10 tracks, with 512 buffer I get 11 and with 1028 I get 12. After seeing a real world example of what a 2.8 8 core will do, I went and grabbed a new one yesterday. I think that will have all the horsepower I need for awhile running Logic. And I couldn't beat the price, they've dropped the retail to $2499 and with a no tax biz discount it was $1899 out the door.

I just need to stop reading about the new Mac Pros now and get on with my life.
Old 10th March 2009
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Wow, one of the top three results ever reported, you mean that 71 tracks played for you just unmuting the existing Logic arrangement without any modifications by you and then only for your own curiousity you inserted waves SSL plugins?

But 71 tracks is logical with your computer.
Thats correct sir.
In every way.
Old 11th March 2009
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
thanks Evan for coming up with this test.
I ran it on my dual 2.3 G5 8gb ram. With 256 buffer I get 10 tracks, with 512 buffer I get 11 and with 1028 I get 12. After seeing a real world example of what a 2.8 8 core will do, I went and grabbed a new one yesterday. I think that will have all the horsepower I need for awhile running Logic. And I couldn't beat the price, they've dropped the retail to $2499 and with a no tax biz discount it was $1899 out the door.

I just need to stop reading about the new Mac Pros now and get on with my life.
Wait... what?

You got a new (2008) 8 core 2.8 for $1899 out the door? How do I do that???
Old 11th March 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Firechild's Avatar
I have a feeling that Logic 8.0.2 is not compatible with dual quad Nehalem machines yet, it should be 16 rows ( 8 cores with hyperthreading gives 16 virtual cores ) in the CPU performance meter window and I think 8.0.2 is not prepared for that which causes strange behaviour, for example 20 tracks in the benchmarktest and random crashes all the time...
Old 11th March 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
And I couldn't beat the price, they've dropped the retail to $2499 and with a no tax biz discount it was $1899 out the door.
That's a crazy discount. Is it possible to get another machine at that price? If so, where/how could I do it?
Old 11th March 2009
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I have a feeling that Logic 8.0.2 is not compatible with dual quad Nehalem machines yet, it should be 16 rows ( 8 cores with hyperthreading gives 16 virtual cores ) in the CPU performance meter window and I think 8.0.2 is not prepared for that which causes strange behaviour, for example 20 tracks in the benchmarktest and random crashes all the time...
There are 16 CPU meters but only 8 of them work. There are always kinks to work out with 1st gen hardware, unfortunately.
Old 11th March 2009
  #37
Lives for gear
 
YUGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I have a feeling that Logic 8.0.2 is not compatible with dual quad Nehalem machines yet, it should be 16 rows ( 8 cores with hyperthreading gives 16 virtual cores ) in the CPU performance meter window and I think 8.0.2 is not prepared for that which causes strange behaviour, for example 20 tracks in the benchmarktest and random crashes all the time...
That might explain why they didn't do (or show the result of) Logic Space Designer performance test this time. Just speculation tho.

For DAW use, the latest isn't always best and Early 2008 2.8 Octor has enough power for me. I've also just ordered the one but it's never possible to get it at such a crazy price ($1899stike) in Japan, costs a grand more....
Old 11th March 2009
  #38
Gear addict
 
Barbary Ape's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH View Post
There are 16 CPU meters but only 8 of them work. There are always kinks to work out with 1st gen hardware, unfortunately.
I think you'll have to wait for Snow Leopard to see your machine flex it's muscles, I think it is capable of so much more than these current benchmarks are showing.
Old 11th March 2009
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Firechild's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape View Post
I think you'll have to wait for Snow Leopard to see your machine flex it's muscles, I think it is capable of so much more than these current benchmarks are showing.
No, just wait for Logic 8.0.3, then it will be solved.
Old 11th March 2009
  #40
Lives for gear
 
7161's Avatar
 

thats pretty tragic tho for anyone who went out and bought the new mac to run logic, lol
Old 11th March 2009
  #41
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
That's a crazy discount. Is it possible to get another machine at that price? If so, where/how could I do it?
DITTO!
Old 11th March 2009
  #42
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
I live in Dallas. I went into the Apple store to see if they had any 2.8 8-cores left and decided to grab one. Since it had a 14 day return policy, I figured I'd have it in case the benchmarks of the new ones weren't worth the crazy high price.
The apple guy said that they are at end of life pricing of $2499 from normal list of $2799. This is the bare unit no upgrades. I filled out a tax exempt form there at the store. Texas has a production exemption from taxes, where you can exclude tax if you are using the hardware to produce a movie, music, whatever. So you fill out the form you pay no tax.

I was fully expecting to pay $2499 but when the guy rang it up it was $900 off from $2799. Against my better judgement, I even asked him about it and he said, "that's with the business discount". So apparently by filling out the tax form, it got me a biz discount that I had no idea of.

First they brought one out that had a hole in the box and looked pretty beat up. I asked for another one and they had one left. Brand spanking new 2/24/09 ship date.
These were the only two they had.

I told the guy I might want another one for a friend and he called the Southlake, TX apple store and the apple guy there, David Kriel called my house that night and told me he still had some and would love to sell me one. You can't call the stores, but if you go in one, they can check the other stores for you. I have the number of this guy in Southlake, but not on me.

So, they are still out there at the stores but in limited supply. I've been waiting for quite awhile, fully thinking I was going to get the Nahelam, but now I'm crazy stoked about my new box. The shipping tag even said "Merlin" on it which cracked me up.

up late installing my world on it last night.

whoo, hoo
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...ood/bouncy.gif
Old 11th March 2009
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 View Post
thats pretty tragic tho for anyone who went out and bought the new mac to run logic, lol
It will run logic fine just not the benchmark file. It is not optimized yet but it is at least 3 or 4 times faster than my older machine, a 2007 17"MBP 2.4. It is not stable with older Logic projects but I started a new one last night heavy with Addictive Drums, NI Massive, Kontakt, FM8 and Amplitube2 @ 96k and it is solid so far. When I went from a G4 to Intel machine I had similar problems. I stopped doing freelance stuff a while ago and my band recently broke up so I have no deadlines and i am happy to beta test for my fellow 'slutz.
Old 11th March 2009
  #44
Gear maniac
 
atticmike's Avatar
 

What am I doing wrong?

My Logic Studio just plays 16 tracks, doesn't matter whether I un-mute them or not and that shouldn't be normal i assume...


Last edited by atticmike; 11th March 2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: picture was missing
Old 11th March 2009
  #45
Lives for gear
 
7161's Avatar
 

well Mike, what machine r u using? you dont say in your post
Old 11th March 2009
  #46
Gear maniac
 
atticmike's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 View Post
well Mike, what machine r u using? you dont say in your post
Early 2008 Mac Pro (2.8 Quad Core + 8 GB Memory)
Old 11th March 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
un mute the regions and use the mute buttons on the tracks themselves.
Old 11th March 2009
  #48
Gear maniac
 
atticmike's Avatar
 

got it, only 27 :(
Old 11th March 2009
  #49
Gear Head
 

so, the question is: WHY did apple release a new low-end model at all, if it's not cheaper, and it's worse? I just don't see why they would do that... I too need a mac pro, coming from a 2.4ghz macbook pro 15inch, but to be honest, I was hoping maybe for a bit more than 3-4x performance in the best case... Especially if it crashes, can't load old files (what am I going to do with them, then?) and can't do more than 20 plugs in this test... Man, I am such a die-hard apple fan, but it really feels like they made a mistake with this one...
Old 11th March 2009
  #50
Don't forget to turn off your inputs... I have found that this is a bug that affects logics performance.
Old 11th March 2009
  #51
Lives for gear
 
YUGA's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybeross View Post
so, the question is: WHY did apple release a new low-end model at all, if it's not cheaper, and it's worse? I just don't see why they would do that... I too need a mac pro, coming from a 2.4ghz macbook pro 15inch, but to be honest, I was hoping maybe for a bit more than 3-4x performance in the best case... Especially if it crashes, can't load old files (what am I going to do with them, then?) and can't do more than 20 plugs in this test... Man, I am such a die-hard apple fan, but it really feels like they made a mistake with this one...
These problems will probably be solved in 8.03 as Firechild said. No one knows when it will be released and how many tracks this model can actually play till then. If you really need a fast and stable mac pro, you can buy the previous gen 2.8GHz octo like I did.

I'm pretty shure that the new Nehalem 2.26 will outperform the previous gen 2.8 when running Snow Leopard + Logic 9. But I want a fast and reliable system now.
Old 11th March 2009
  #52
Gear Maniac
 
HockeyMike's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUGA View Post
I'm pretty shure that the new Nehalem 2.26 will outperform the previous gen 2.8 when running Snow Leopard + Logic 9. But I want a fast and reliable system now.
The thing that scares me about the new single 2.26 unit is that it will only take a max of 8GB of RAM... if Snow Leopard OS can get past the current per-app memory limit (3 or 4 GB, can't remember off the top of my head) then 8GB seems pretty low.
Old 11th March 2009
  #53
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
What am I doing wrong?

My Logic Studio just plays 16 tracks, doesn't matter whether I un-mute them or not and that shouldn't be normal i assume...

I'm confused too - my screen looks the same as yours when the file is loaded. Track 84 (last track) is armed, ready to record. I don't see 'mute' active on any of the channels. Am I looking at it wrong? Playback varied from 0 tracks to 25 tracks if I mute, then un-mute. 24" iMac 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM.
Old 11th March 2009
  #54
Gear maniac
 
atticmike's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 View Post
I'm confused too - my screen looks the same as yours when the file is loaded. Track 84 (last track) is armed, ready to record. I don't see 'mute' active on any of the channels. Am I looking at it wrong? Playback varied from 0 tracks to 25 tracks if I mute, then un-mute. 24" iMac 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM.
you need to click on the bar lying inside the track not at the track itself and with the right mouse button you should be able to unmute the thing
Old 12th March 2009
  #55
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
you need to click on the bar lying inside the track not at the track itself and with the right mouse button you should be able to unmute the thing
I don't know what you mean by that, sorry. Can you be more specific?

If I load that file as-is and hit play, as soon as it hits audio it stops playing. If I mute all the tracks by hitting the M button, then I can play up to 20 tracks.
Old 12th March 2009
  #56
Gear Addict
 
MrChang's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I live in Dallas. I went into the Apple store to see if they had any 2.8 8-cores left and decided to grab one. Since it had a 14 day return policy, I figured I'd have it in case the benchmarks of the new ones weren't worth the crazy high price.
The apple guy said that they are at end of life pricing of $2499 from normal list of $2799. This is the bare unit no upgrades. I filled out a tax exempt form there at the store. Texas has a production exemption from taxes, where you can exclude tax if you are using the hardware to produce a movie, music, whatever. So you fill out the form you pay no tax.

I was fully expecting to pay $2499 but when the guy rang it up it was $900 off from $2799. Against my better judgement, I even asked him about it and he said, "that's with the business discount". So apparently by filling out the tax form, it got me a biz discount that I had no idea of.
Excellent find! Was getting ready to pull the trigger on the new $3,299 model. After a few calls, I just got the same deal here in Los Angeles. The money saved pays for all of the Ram, Drive, audio card, etc. upgrades. Awesome!

Thanks & best,

John

Old 12th March 2009
  #57
Gear Maniac
 

I also just got the $1899 deal. Amazing!

I really wasn't so confident in the new 2.26 Ghz machine for $3299 + another 500 for applecare and tax.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 12th March 2009
  #58
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
I just went and grabbed another for a friend.
What I found out is that this deal is for repeat biz account customers.
A normal biz discount is something like 5%, so this really is a very special offer from Apple.
The sales guy said that he's never seen a discount this good before. He said usually Apple just has them pull the old stock and send it back for parts or retoolling.

I put 16gb of ram in mine from transintl.com for $348!

I'm going to wait until the new 7200.12 drives from Seagate come out since I have a bunch of firewire drives already.
Old 12th March 2009
  #59
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
I did my first initial evan session test with Logic and the 2.8 octo last night. I got 54 tracks with a 256 buffer and only 2gb stock ram. I'll be interested to see what I get when filling it up with 16gb.

What's interesting is that the buffer settings don't make as much of a difference as I would have thought. Going to 1024 made no real difference and almost seemed to be worse. Going to 64k also seemed to make almost no difference. I might have dropped to 53 tracks.

SO much better than the 10 tracks I was getting with the dual G5 2.3!
Old 12th March 2009
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Firechild's Avatar
For all of you who is a bit confused over the "mute" feature in Logic.
You can actually mute a "track" in three ways in Logic and this test is unfortunately using two ways.

1. Mute the channelstrip which this test is NOT using.

2. Mute the region, if the "region bars" are slightly grayed out a logic pro guy can immiedately see that the region is muted and you have to unmute the region with the mute tool or the key command "m". For a non Logic guy I can see that this was a bit confusing, my fault...

3. Mute in the track header, the "M" on the trackheader is green,muted...

So, I will point out that the new MacPros will perform really good in this test as soon the Apple Logic Team will come up with a minor update to support the dual quad Nehalems with 8 physical cores and 16 virtual cores. Logic will show 16 CPU meters.
My guess is that the single quad Nehalem machine is already working good with 8.0.2.

My guess is that the dual Quad 2.93 Nehalem will score around 100 tracks in this test ! The dual 2.26 I think will score around the older octo 2.8Ghz. 60 plus.
Let´s wait and see!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Odditory / Music Computers
18
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Dr Gruv / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump