The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro Multicore Benchmarktest ! Audio Interfaces
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just wanted to give this old but new (for me) puppy a test run.

2010 Mac Pro, dual Xeon 2.66GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB Samsung Evo 860 system (and Logic library) drive that I placed the testing project on.
OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
LPX 10.4.2

Interface: Zoom UAC-2 (running through an Inateck USB3 PCIe card).

Logic set to:
- High precision (64bit) summing (seems to make no difference to "normal" for this test, btw)
- Number of processing threads (makes a difference compared to "automatic"): 24
- Multithreading set to playback and live tracks (makes a difference, at least once you select one of the actively playing tracks and not choose an empty track, which has been the trick to squeeze the last ounce of juice out of earlier versions).
- Processing buffer set to "large" (makes a difference).
- EXS "Virtual Memory": Disk speed set to "slow" - this will allow the EXS to load as much as possible into your RAM rather than reading things from your drive. I recommend to check this setting out as it does make a difference on some machines.

32 samples (4.5ms roundtrip latency, measured not calculated): 248 tracks.
64 samples (5.9ms RTL): 247 - yes, that is one track LESS than with 32 samples! Did switch multiple times between the two, even restarted Logic after switching, so yes, the numbers are reliable.

Note: Same goes for all buffer settings up to 512 (and I always stick to 32 or 64, so they're irrelevant for me). The UAC-2 somehow seems to have its drivers optimized for lowest latency performance - but in daily life, once it comes to single core performance tasks (such as pretty complexed serial signal chains for guitar amp sims, Alchemy and what not), there definitely *is* a noticeable improvement when using higher buffer settings.

Note #2 : The internal interface performs about the same, just that I'm getting 1-2 more tracks at 512 samples.

Fwiw, that 8 year old Mac Pro still seems to be a pretty decent performer - very happy I got one (just recently, btw). And I can still upgrade the CPU (to 2x3.4) and RAM. Should be good for a while to come (just that I need a new GPU to install Mojave, should I feel like). Multithreading along with the latest LPX seems to work particularly well on this machine, single threaded tasks are more of a bottleneck.

Last edited by Sascha Franck; 2 weeks ago at 12:15 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

macOS sierra 10.12.6
Logic Pro X 10.4.2
Audio device: motu pcie-424
Buffer I/O: 128 samples

2009 5,1 Dual x5675 3,06ghz, 12 core 24 thread/ 24gb

215 track

But refx nexus vsti plugin only 7 channel (around 500-1gb per preset of hollywood soundset) a few cpu thread overload, a lot of cpu thread is zero.

Last edited by trance54; 1 week ago at 10:32 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
macOS Mojave 10.14
Logic Pro X 10.4.2
Audio device: Built-in
Buffer I/O: 128 samples

iMac Pro 2017 (Xeon 8-Core 3,2 Ghz / 32 GB)
302 tracks
How did you manage that? Logic Pro X support only 255 Instrument tracks...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post
Pwned.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Just wanted to give this old but new (for me) puppy a test run.

2010 Mac Pro, dual Xeon 2.66GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB Samsung Evo 860 system (and Logic library) drive that I placed the testing project on.
OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
LPX 10.4.2
Nice! With the same settings on my 2010 Mac Pro 2.93 ghz 12 core I am getting 238 tracks to consistently play.

In the 2018 Mac Mini thread here a guy was getting only 185 tracks on a 3.2 ghz i7 Mac Mini. Which I was thinking of getting to replace my MP, but the fact I get more on my machine has made me rethink that plan... Okay he hasn't tweaked the settings as in your post, added another 30 tracks playing for me and was around 215 before with stock settings. Why do you think he would be getting less tracks to play on a machine with a higher Geekbench score? Is this thermal throttling in effect?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Why do you think he would be getting less tracks to play on a machine with a higher Geekbench score? Is this thermal throttling in effect?
No idea. Might be. But then, doesn't the Mac Mini feature less CPU threads? When I did the test, multithreading was in full effect and all the 24 threads were maxed out.

Really, as soon as you don't need lots of serial (hence single thread) processing, these 2010-2012 MPs are still absolute power horses. Too bad you need a new GPU to update to Mojave - but then, HS is serving me fine for the time being, will possibly stick with it until some important software isn't compatible anymore.
Until then, I'll rather spend my money for more RAM and some more SSDs.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
No idea. Might be. But then, doesn't the Mac Mini feature less CPU threads? When I did the test, multithreading was in full effect and all the 24 threads were maxed out.

Really, as soon as you don't need lots of serial (hence single thread) processing, these 2010-2012 MPs are still absolute power horses. Too bad you need a new GPU to update to Mojave - but then, HS is serving me fine for the time being, will possibly stick with it until some important software isn't compatible anymore.
Until then, I'll rather spend my money for more RAM and some more SSDs.
The 3.2 Mac Mini is a 6 core machine, but I assumed that if the geekbench score was higher it would mean a better result in the Logic test.

I hear you on the GPU for Mojave, but I am also considering sticking with High Sierra and the 2010 Mac Pro as an option for now. I am always a couple of OS behind anyways. Then when it gets too long in the tooth I can see how the land lies then..

Which could be in 2020 when the MP will be 10 years old, who'd have thought that you'd get a 10 year computer still worth keeping for audio production.
Old 4 days ago
Indeed! I have a friend recording different album around here ( children's music, singer songwriter, and his own stuff). His Mac Pro must be from 2004/2005, untouched / old pro tools and M-audio. records everything and mixes on it
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Which could be in 2020 when the MP will be 10 years old, who'd have thought that you'd get a 10 year computer still worth keeping for audio production.
Well, I just bought mine recently (a few months ago) for a killer price. Great machine, possibly the most configurable Mac that ever existed and still pretty much future-proof. I'm even considering a CPU upgrade (mine is 2x2.66GHz, but there's replacment kits including all tools and even some thermal paste, going up to 2x3.4GHz). So far I can run pretty much everything I want at 32 samples (using a Zoom UAC, which has very excellent drivers, resulting in 4.5ms RTL) and only got a crackle here and there when checking out some of the maddest Alchemy+Plugins serial chains (they're completely beyond anything I'd ever do, so I'm fine).

Fwiw, before I used a 2008 Macbook with 10.6.8 and Logic 9. Still performs like a champ, especially after the last upgrade to an SSD 2 years ago. In case I keep things moderate in terms of plugin usage, I can run an almost full production on it. Compared to that machine, the Mac Pro is pure heaven - and it's keeping up against the newest kids on the block pretty well, especially now that Logic is vastly improved regarding multithreading.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post
How true is that? Does that figure also include audio tracks?

Jacob Collier claims over 700 tracks in the video below.
YouTube
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
How true is that? Does that figure also include audio tracks?
The test was solely using virtual instrument tracks. And there's "only" up to 255 virtual instrument tracks in Logic.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Can we create a similar test for Mainstage?

@S_A_P & @RyanC

I also built a 7980xe hackintosh and can verify similar Logic track counts as RyanC with his hack and S_A_P with his iMacPro.

The trouble is that Mainstage seems completely incompetent for multicore usage. There is no Mainstage performance upgrade from my previous 8 core hackintosh to this 18core hack.

I thought it may be due to a hackintosh discrepency and was hoping to compile a similar test session that we can use to test if Mainstage is actually utilizing its cores.

Couple of things. The mainstage CPU meter located near the transport shows between 60%-100% when my CPU iStats shows less than 10% load. The extended Mainstage CPU metering bar graph that details the CPU load for particular plugins only goes to 300/400% while utilizing 36 cores, when I should be seeing 3600%, no?

Depending on the buffer I/O setting, I actually have to reduce core usage down to 16/8/4 cores to avoid nasty clicks and a console message spam of IOperformwatchdog output. This console message does not cause a mainstage overload message, but causes 5-6 audible clicks per second until I lower core usage to around 16.

I have been trying to figure out this problem for over a year and am at my whits end. If anyone is interested in helping and has a iMac Pro / 18core hack / 12 core MacPro, I will happily reimburse you for the cost of Mainstage.

I am using RME UFX+, newest drivers & firmware. Right now it seems my only possibilities are 1)Audio interface 2)Hackintosh discrepency 3)Mainstage sucks at core optimization.

I will try to build a Mainstage project template that we can use but would greatly appreciate any insight/ideas/comments from the community here.

Spitballing:
1) We would need to test at multiple buffer sizes, focusing on 32 & 64 samples, as low latency is needed for live performance
2) We might need 2 tests, 1 for software instruments and 1 for live audio inputs.
3) Crosscheck performance with the number of CPU cores utilized to see if performance actually increases based on using LESS cores.

Please please please help!
Thanks!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

@parispro00, while I have no real idea about Mainstage (apart from opening it ages ago when it came for free with Logic), how do you organize your projects?
Quite obviously (or maybe not, but that's what it's like in Logic land), any processing involving serial signal paths can't be distributed to multiple cores. As a result, your system will always only be as good as the weakest (well, let's rather say the most taxed) core/thread allows. If you overload that thread (in Logic that would likely be the "live" channel(s)), no amount of threads will help you. In Mainstage, I suppose a lot more channels need to be set to live mode for quick switching and whatever layered sounds - but from all I could imagine, it'd still be that the thread closest to being maxed out dictates how much stuff you'll be able to run (even if the other threads barely show up on your CPU meter).
In a nutshell: I would check how much serial processing you've got going and if possible, reduce the workload for the busiest chains. Thing suchs as using busses for reverbs instead of slapping them into an insert come to mind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search