The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic can"t hear preroll???? DAW Software
Old 4th November 2008
Lives for gear

Logic can"t hear preroll????

Hey my peeps,

Please tell me there is a way to remedy this problem....

I engage preroll in Logic and I can't hear what is going on during the preroll.... I have read up on this subject and people just say that is just how logic works.... i know you can use the auto drop but that will make me set and end point...

I record a radio show so we dont have an end point. I just need to auto punch in at that moment so i can free up my hands to speak (i also host the show). Please tell me there is something i am missing here.

I LOVE LOGIC for its sound and for its other capabilities but this is a deal breaker for me... I have to think that there are many converts from Pro Tools or Cubendo who also have this problem. I will go back to Cubase or PT if there is no way i can do this. Thanks for hearing me.
Old 4th November 2008
Lives for gear

Bump. anyone?
Old 4th November 2008
And you've enable "Play preroll" in Song Settings?

Could you explain a bit more in detail what the problem is and what you're trying to achieve.
Old 4th November 2008
Lives for gear

there are preferences for pre-roll, and clicks during countdown.
Old 4th November 2008
Lives for gear

thanks for replying...

i am saying i have a few tracks of vocals. i mess up and i want to punch in to continue the vocal. when i set my playmarker, turn on pre-roll, i would like to then hear what is already existing in that track up until the punch in. currently, when i press record, it records the Preroll and will not let me hear the existing audio.

I didnt see the setting you were talking about. If i am missing something I will be very very happy.
Old 4th November 2008
Lives for gear

greg, i can't seem to find the preferences for that. I see under project settings Count-in and Pre-roll but i dont see where it says i can monitor. In PT i think this is called Auto-Input Monitoring. Not sure about that tho
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkung View Post
thanks for replying...

i am saying i have a few tracks of vocals. i mess up and i want to punch in to continue the vocal. when i set my playmarker, turn on pre-roll, i would like to then hear what is already existing in that track up until the punch in. currently, when i press record, it records the Preroll and will not let me hear the existing audio.

I didnt see the setting you were talking about. If i am missing something I will be very very happy.
Have you tried marking the area of the track that you want to record over with the Marquee tool? That will enable auto punch and allow you to hear the track before and after the punch in/out.
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
greg, i can't seem to find the preferences for that. I see under project settings Count-in and Pre-roll but i dont see where it says i can monitor. In PT i think this is called Auto-Input Monitoring. Not sure about that tho
Auto input monitoring is under the Option menu.
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

j-uk marking the area wont help me either. i am looking for a solution where i dont have to set the end point. that is really a pain in the arse to have to drag on the ruler up top just to hear the punch in. maybe there is a work around but this seems so odd.

all i want to do is find a location, set pre roll, and hear what is in my existing track so i can sing/talk along for a seemless bounce. PT and Nuendo make this so easy. I WISH PT HAD OFFLINE BOUNCE
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

Can any PT---> Logic guys here help me out? I am just looking for a definitive answer to this and i can move on.
Old 5th November 2008

Do you have to work on the same track?

How bout doing punches on an adjacent track? I used to have the same problem back in 4.8.1... possibly cos I didn' tknow how to set it to audition the pre-roll.

In any case that workaround worked for me, and I had 2 tracks labelled up and loaded with same I/O, plugins/bus etc on my template.
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

Yes using another track is how i have been doing it BUT the problem is, what if you are recording multiple tracks at once that need to be dubbbed? for example drums? in my situation it happens to be 3 other co-hosts as well as a dj. it would be REALLY difficult and confusing to add 5 tracks just for dubbing you know?
Old 5th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
j-uk marking the area wont help me either. i am looking for a solution where i dont have to set the end point. that is really a pain in the arse to have to drag on the ruler up top just to hear the punch in. maybe there is a work around but this seems so odd.

all i want to do is find a location, set pre roll, and hear what is in my existing track so i can sing/talk along for a seemless bounce. PT and Nuendo make this so easy. I WISH PT HAD OFFLINE BOUNCE
This is pita :( Probably worth posting this over at Logicprohelp. Possible workaround is this.
1. Ctr click on the transport bar and enable SampleRate/Punchin locator and Set Punch in locator by playhead.

2. Extend your project to the maximum bars (that will obviously depend on the tempo)

3. Set a punch in range for the whole project.

4. Enable Auto punch and then set the playhead where you want to start to record and then click Set playhead/punch button.

Cheers

Johan
Old 6th November 2008
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies... i will try that workaround if i can. I just really hope in the next update or next version of logic they can update this glaring issue. last night i was trying to go through all the options i had. My buddy said, "wow logic can do all that but can't let you hear the pre-roll?" i didnt know what to say....

any other suggestions would be SO SO WELCOME.
Old 7th November 2008
Lives for gear

still trying to figure this out. sorry if i am getting annoying but i can't wrap my head around something that should be so so easy. Does no one feel my pain?
Old 10th November 2008
Lives for gear

Either set a punch-out point (you can do it in the transport panel) so late that you're sure that it will appear after you have recorded what you want, or just enable 'Punch On The Fly' (long click on the record button will show you a menu...) and enter record (eg. via a Apple Remote, a bluetooth keyboard, a MIDI pedal or something else) on the fly.
Old 31st December 2015
Here for the gear
I've been having the exact same problem. If anyone knows a definite answer, please post it! I must say that creating a new track every time there is a mistake is not very practical since the punch in features lets you edit which part of the audio you want to keep. However I've been trying to solve this issue with not being able to hear my track in the preroll for a little over a month now.
Old 6th May 2016
Here for the gear
I am having the same issue
Old 6th May 2016
Here for the gear
Have you figured this out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine150 View Post
I've been having the exact same problem. If anyone knows a definite answer, please post it! I must say that creating a new track every time there is a mistake is not very practical since the punch in features lets you edit which part of the audio you want to keep. However I've been trying to solve this issue with not being able to hear my track in the preroll for a little over a month now.
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear
Has there been any update on pre-roll monitoring?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search