The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro X / Behringer XTouch Functionality Question
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Logic Pro X / Behringer XTouch Functionality Question

Hi guys. First time poster here. My church is moving from using a Midas M32 over to using Logic Pro X and a bunch of waves plugins to livestream our service. We are using a Behringer X touch as a control surface.

I want to know if it's possible to create this kind of functionality. If so how do I do it. This is all new to me.

I would like to be able to have a global / main page that would assign groups to the 8 main faders.

1. Vocal Group
2. Drum Group
3. Bass
4. Keys
5. Guitars
6. Tracks
7. Vocal FX Group
8. Pastor

Then with the F1-F8 buttons I'd like to be able to access the individual tracks in that group to make any minor adjustments that need to made to the mix.

F1: Vocal 1, Vocal 2, Vocal 3, Vocal 4, Vocal 5
F2: Kick, Snare Hi, Snare Bottom, Hi Hats.....etc.
F3: Bass
F4: Piano, synths
F5: Electric 1 & 2, Acoustic Guitars
F6: Stereo Tracks
F7: Vocal FX
F8: Pastor Mics

As I said before Im new to the Logic world so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

-Jordan
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Tall order. Teach Logic and a Mackie Control to behave like an M32. I certainly hope that the machine running Logic is right near the X-Touch - you really want to have finer control of things.

Simplest thing to do that approaches what you want...

Create Summing Track Stacks for each of F1 through F8 - this will give you 8 "bus" collections. Collapse all of the track stacks. Make sure the X-Touch is positioned on the first stack.

At this point if you "Open/Close" the stack the enclosed channels will appear (to the right) of the first X-Touch channel. You can adjust things here.

The trick is to get a button on the X-Touch that does the open/close of the stack. I did a controller assignment to cause the USER button to perform the open/close. Anything more complicated than that is far beyond a GS forum post.

If you don't recognize the terms I have been using you have a *lot* of homework to do.

Lucky for you, the X-Touch is almost a complete clone of a Mackie Control surface, so the Logic "Control Surface Support" manual should become your daily companion.

It's tricky...too bad you have to move from the M32 which makes live mixing easier...
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
this really needs to be a much longer discussion, with lots more information provided about the where/what/how of tools being used, etc.

There might be more comprehensive solutions that might be achievable.

Didn't want to leave the problem as impossible, but it really needs investigation.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks, facej! Yes, the machine and Xtouch are right by one another. Im going to try what you said here. Hopefully it will work. If worst comes to worst we can always just page through the tracks. I got the idea from watching this video. Check out the first 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFKX9lmNGOQ&t=235s
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
If you can get a network connection from the M32 to your Mac running Logic you should be able to get M32-Edit (X32-Edit) running on the Mac and basically control the M32 from the Mac.
๐Ÿ“ Reply