The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using Ozone 9 for Mastering
Old 4 weeks ago
Using Ozone 9 for Mastering

Hi fellow Pro's

I'm a little confused when using Ozone 9 in Logic Pro X to master a track I mixed.

I master in a separate session after recording my mix down to a stereo file and importing it in a new session.

I then have Ozone on the master bus and proceed to run with it's Mastering Assistant, followed by my own tweaking. Now as most of my songs will live only online, I'm going with the Streaming option which I believe sets the ceiling in the Maximiser to -14 LUFS. I'm not changing that.

But at that level, the Logic master channel meter is in the red, so I usually bring the channel fader down until it stops it going over zero. I do tend to use Pre-Fader Metering in Logic.

I'm just wondering, am I doing something wrong, also pulling down the Logic fader, is that impacting the level when I bounce the master? Should I be doing something different? Any help appreciated.

Update*** I do have Sonarworks running after Ozone, so maybe it's the EQ profile that causes the Logic channel fader to overload? I need to do some experimenting.

Last edited by blayz2002; 4 weeks ago at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot about Sonarworks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In Ozone 9 make sure the Maximizer is displayed. Set the ceiling to something like -0.5 dB, and turn on "True Peak".
I tend to turn on "Learn Threshold" as well.

The signal should not exceed the -0.5 dB level. The Logic "Stereo Out" level will be affected by Sonarworks..., so you can't/shouldn't have that turned on when you "print" your master.

I solve the Sonarworks problem by using Rogue Amoeba's "SoundSource" and putting the Sonarworks correction on the actual output from the Mac. Logic doesn't need the complication ;-)

Meter your output before you get to the Stereo Output - Multimeter, iZotope Insight 2, any of these just after the Ozone plugin on a "mix bus", not on Stereo Output.

Audio tracks -> AUX track (put Ozone and meters here) -> Stereo Out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Do you have a ceiling set? I usually set the ceiling to -1db when mastering for streaming.

If you don’t have a ceiling set, your limiter will be outputting signal at 0.0db, which Logic will see as clipping. Setting your signal at -1db (sometimes -2db for very loud mixes) will allow the output to be low enough that it’s not clipping your master bus, and leaves some extra headroom for any intersample peaks.

Also make sure you enable safe gain on Sonarworks’ output.

Last edited by KAIMAKESWAVS; 4 weeks ago at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Adding comment about Sonarworks
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
In Ozone 9 make sure the Maximizer is displayed. Set the ceiling to something like -0.5 dB, and turn on "True Peak".
I tend to turn on "Learn Threshold" as well.

The signal should not exceed the -0.5 dB level. The Logic "Stereo Out" level will be affected by Sonarworks..., so you can't/shouldn't have that turned on when you "print" your master.

I solve the Sonarworks problem by using Rogue Amoeba's "SoundSource" and putting the Sonarworks correction on the actual output from the Mac. Logic doesn't need the complication ;-)

Meter your output before you get to the Stereo Output - Multimeter, iZotope Insight 2, any of these just after the Ozone plugin on a "mix bus", not on Stereo Output.

Audio tracks -> AUX track (put Ozone and meters here) -> Stereo Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAIMAKESWAVS View Post
Do you have a ceiling set? I usually set the ceiling to -1db when mastering for streaming.

If you don’t have a ceiling set, your limiter will be outputting signal at 0.0db, which Logic will see as clipping. Setting your signal at -1db (sometimes -2db for very loud mixes) will allow the output to be low enough that it’s not clipping your master bus, and leaves some extra headroom for any intersample peaks.

Also make sure you enable safe gain on Sonarworks’ output.
Thanks guys, that's brilliant.

I think that's where I'm going wrong.. I haven't been setting the ceiling.. I guess I thought that was part of the mastering assistant automation. I need to look more into the Maximizer.

Also yes I definitely switch off Sonarworks when bouncing, and I could use the Systemwide version, but it's a bit of a hassle (due to other mixing process factors). So I'll add in the additional metering suggestions too and see where that takes me, but I think you both hit the nail on the head and appreciate the extra tips. GS can be friendly place now and then
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Update*** I do have Sonarworks running after Ozone, so maybe it's the EQ profile that causes the Logic channel fader to overload? I need to do some experimenting.
Yes, Sonarworks after Ozone (which is as it should be) will likely raise some high/low frequencies and cause the final signal to clip. Perhaps you can turn on the Safe Headroom in Sonarworks? This will reduce the output gain - how much depending on which headphones you use.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artj View Post
Yes, Sonarworks after Ozone (which is as it should be) will likely raise some high/low frequencies and cause the final signal to clip. Perhaps you can turn on the Safe Headroom in Sonarworks? This will reduce the output gain - how much depending on which headphones you use.
Cheers.

I have been turning Safe Headroom off recently, as it sounds a bit like a soft limiter to my ears.. but I'll play around and see what works.
📝 Reply